If you like OG Zuppa Toscana soup...
(06-11-2019, 05:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 03:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know how to tell if an avocado is ripe. I know the black ones are better than the green ones. And it has to be fairly soft when you buy one.
A friend and I lived off of nothing but avocados and Oranges for about 4 days when we were bums/hippies living on the road in So Cal back in the 70's Laughing

Only Hass.  That's my motto!  Big Grin

I think you are right

When I lived in SoCal my neighbor had an avocado tree that reached across the fence. Naturally I considered anything on "my" side fair game. I can state with some authority that free avocados are the best ones!   Smiling
(06-11-2019, 06:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know how to tell if an avocado is ripe. I know the black ones are better than the green ones. And it has to be fairly soft when you buy one.
A friend and I lived off of nothing but avocados and Oranges for about 4 days when we were bums/hippies living on the road in So Cal back in the 70's Laughing

I think you are right

When I lived in SoCal my neighbor had an avocado tree that reached across the fence. Naturally I considered anything on "my" side fair game. I can state with some authority that free avocados are the best ones!   Smiling

LOL. I rented a room in San Deigo and in the Little yard there was one orange tree. It was full of fat ripe oranges and no one but me cared
(06-11-2019, 07:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 06:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I think you are right

LOL. I rented a room in San Deigo and in the Little yard there was one orange tree. It was full of fat ripe oranges and no one but me cared

I grew up in SoCal.  When the suburbs were new and built on top of orange groves. They left an orange tree in each yard. But for some reason, mine didn't have one. There's a picture of my parents standing proudly in front of their first home.  All around, on all sides were an orange grove. That's prime million dollar land now.
During my time in Phoenix, that was also true. Every corner would have a bucket full of oranges, grapefruits, or lemons, always free.