Red right turn signal
I'm posting this here mostly because I think Juniper lives in the area and might have an opinion on it. Here's the situation:

The city of Medford has recently added a signal light to the intersection of hwy 99, (N. Pacific Hwy), and Table Rock Rd. The intersection has had a signal light for years but the new addition is an illuminated red right turn light as you go north on 99 and wish to turn right on Table Rock. I see similar lights here and there but I'm less clear on whether it okay to make the turn if it's clear. Common sense says that they went out of their way to put up the red light arrow to make sure that no one makes that turn while it is lit. But everyone is ignoring it. It is even sometimes lit red when the people going straight on 99 have a green. I suspect it is to keep people from turning when there are peds in the crosswalk but this is not always true. 

A somewhat similar situation is when you are coming out of the area behind Olive Garden and trying to turn right onto 62 from Delta Waters. There are 2 right turn lanes and those 2 lanes have their own signals separate from the signals to the traffic going straight across.

So what do you think is ok? Can we turn right on red if it's clear no matter what? Even if the right arrow is red? I think that they should have to post signs clearly stating that there are no right turns on red. But what I think doesn't exactly matter to the cops.
Hmmmm, I was down that way yesterday but didn't even notice it..There was a post by the MPD on FB recently saying you could absolutely turn on a red arrow (on red going left onto a one way,) and on a right also. I always thought the arrow meant "no" regardless, but the MPD post said you could.
(06-26-2019, 05:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Hmmmm, I was down that way yesterday but didn't even notice it..There was a post by the MPD on FB recently saying you could absolutely turn on a red arrow (on red going left onto a one way,) and on a right also. I always thought the arrow meant "no" regardless, but the MPD post said you could.

Could you possibly link me to that post? Thanks!
(06-26-2019, 06:39 PM)GCG Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 05:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Hmmmm, I was down that way yesterday but didn't even notice it..There was a post by the MPD on FB recently saying you could absolutely turn on a red arrow (on red going left onto a one way,) and on a right also. I always thought the arrow meant "no" regardless, but the MPD post said you could.

Hope it works for youhttps://www.facebook.com/MedfordPD/photos/a.139338279606760/477382529135665/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/MedfordPD/photo...=3&theater
(06-26-2019, 09:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 06:39 PM)GCG Wrote:

Hope it works for youhttps://www.facebook.com/MedfordPD/photos/a.139338279606760/477382529135665/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/MedfordPD/photo...=3&theater

It did work! Thanks for that. Smiling
As someone who is aware of these rules, Oh how it annoys the hell out of me when people sit on reds with clear traffic to turn and they wait for the green. There are a couple specific lights in GP where 9 out of 10 times, you will sit and wait because some moron doesn't know traffic laws. Additionally I think there has been a shift in mentality where people are afraid to drive, whether they consciously realize it or not, they are conditioned to be scared when behind the wheel, so if they see a red light, red means stop, red means do not proceed, red means certain death if entering the intersection, so there they sit like a good little safe driver.

There was a light on Redwood Hwy that so confused people, because part of it's cycle was flashing yellow, meaning, if/when you can safely turn, do it. Which was great, because it can be a long light cycle if you wait for the green, plus it would not stop the highway traffic as often because they would continue getting the green. People were so baffled by it, the safety sally's would sit there paralyzed with fear, waiting for green. Or on the extreme opposite side, having a complete lack of ability to judge speed and distance of oncoming traffic, they would turn when traffic was not clear and cause an accident. They removed the flashing yellow option and returned it to a conventional traffic light thus punishing those of us that have clue.
I thought an intersection had to have a No Right Turn On Red sign in order for it to be so.
Sort of like Californians violating the intersection u-turn law here.
(06-27-2019, 08:52 AM)GPnative Wrote: As someone who is aware of these rules, Oh how it annoys the hell out of me when people sit on reds with clear traffic to turn and they wait for the green. There are a couple specific lights in GP where 9 out of 10 times, you will sit and wait because some moron doesn't know traffic laws. Additionally I think there has been a shift in mentality where people are afraid to drive, whether they consciously realize it or not, they are conditioned to be scared when behind the wheel, so if they see a red light, red means stop, red means do not proceed, red means certain death if entering the intersection, so there they sit like a good little safe driver.

There was a light on Redwood Hwy that so confused people, because part of it's cycle was flashing yellow, meaning, if/when you can safely turn, do it. Which was great, because it can be a long light cycle if you wait for the green, plus it would not stop the highway traffic as often because they would continue getting the green. People were so baffled by it, the safety sally's would sit there paralyzed with fear, waiting for green. Or on the extreme opposite side, having a complete lack of ability to judge speed and distance of oncoming traffic, they would turn when traffic was not clear and cause an accident. They removed the flashing yellow option and returned it to a conventional traffic light thus punishing those of us that have clue.

I get that and I agree. On the other hand, I often drive a full size truck, with a long hood and sometimes I can't see around a corner without poking out into the lane of traffic. People have honked and gotten rude because I wouldn't do that. I'm sorry but I won't risk my vehicle to accommodate their being in a hurry. If I can see I'll proceed otherwise I'll just wait for the light.
(06-27-2019, 10:31 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 08:52 AM)GPnative Wrote: As someone who is aware of these rules, Oh how it annoys the hell out of me when people sit on reds with clear traffic to turn and they wait for the green. There are a couple specific lights in GP where 9 out of 10 times, you will sit and wait because some moron doesn't know traffic laws. Additionally I think there has been a shift in mentality where people are afraid to drive, whether they consciously realize it or not, they are conditioned to be scared when behind the wheel, so if they see a red light, red means stop, red means do not proceed, red means certain death if entering the intersection, so there they sit like a good little safe driver.

I get that and I agree. On the other hand, I often drive a full size truck, with a long hood and sometimes I can't see around a corner without poking out into the lane of traffic. People have honked and gotten rude because I wouldn't do that. I'm sorry but I won't risk my vehicle to accommodate their being in a hurry. If I can see I'll proceed otherwise I'll just wait for the light.

Well I'm not a honker, I just sit in my seat and grumble about the idiot in front me who thinks their time is more valuable than mine. 

Don't even get me started on the urban pretty boys and mid life crisis morons and their prolific massive, jacked up, extended cab, show trucks with after market exhaust systems to wake the dead, trucks that never see any actual work and the modifications rendering the truck completely impractical should you actually need to use it for it's intended purposes. Cause it's real cool to get 7mpg to be an attention seeking jack ass as you cruise town sipping your latte' from Dutch Bros. OK, I guess I did get started a little bit.

Might be time to change my user name to GPcurmudgeon Razz
(06-27-2019, 09:10 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I thought an intersection had to have a No Right Turn On Red sign in order for it to be so.
Sort of like  Californians violating the intersection u-turn law here.

Maybe.  There are some intersections that have no turn on red light signs. Some of the Oregon street and laws are odd.  There's that interesction on Hwy 238 in Jacksonville on California street...3 way stop but not for the north bound folk who have the right away. I was up there last week, heading West and and stopped for the North bound traffic. The guy in the spot to my left was having a fit of rage. He was cussing at me and waving his arms around and screaming at me because he thought I was supposed to be going.  Not from around here, apparently.
(06-27-2019, 11:54 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 10:31 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Well I'm not a honker, I just sit in my seat and grumble about the idiot in front me who thinks their time is more valuable than mine. 

Don't even get me started on the urban pretty boys and mid life crisis morons and their prolific massive, jacked up, extended cab, show trucks with after market exhaust systems to wake the dead, trucks  that never see any actual work and the modifications rendering the truck completely impractical should you actually need to use it for it's intended purposes. Cause it's real cool to get 7mpg to be an attention seeking jack ass as you cruise town sipping your latte' from Dutch Bros. OK, I guess I did get started a little bit.

Might be time to change my user name to GPcurmudgeon Razz

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. My truck is rock stock just like I bought it in 2003. I've thought about buying a new one but I don't like the new ones. Maybe I'm just accustomed to my working life when my employer automatically presumed I was at fault in any driving incident and I was at risk of termination for anyone else's stupidity. It was part of my job to avoid stupid.