This is such bull crap
We just can't have an historic 83 year old wall mural in a high school anymore. We can't have the poor lil black and Indian chillens seeing exactly what it was like for their ancestors.
That NOW is just too offensive.
So the best thing to do is to destroy it to the tune of 600 hundred thousand dollars. As if all that money couldn't be used for something better.

[Image: 800.jpeg]

https://www.apnews.com/9f3037c7ec9d48a286059ac8f9975afe
In keeping with the title of this topic:

Quote:It seems that Confederate Railroad has been booted from an upcoming appearance at the DuQuoin State Fair Grandstand.

The band's August 27th performance was canceled over racial sensitivity concerns, the Pinckneyville Press reports. To be more specific -- somebody was triggered by the band's name. And to be even more specific, they were triggered by the word "Confederate."

"While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all of the people in our state," State Fair manager Josh Gross told the newspaper.

https://townhall.com/columnists/toddstar...y-n2549573
(07-07-2019, 04:51 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: In keeping with the title of this topic:

Quote:It seems that Confederate Railroad has been booted from an upcoming appearance at the DuQuoin State Fair Grandstand.

The band's August 27th performance was canceled over racial sensitivity concerns, the Pinckneyville Press reports. To be more specific -- somebody was triggered by the band's name. And to be even more specific, they were triggered by the word "Confederate."

"While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all of the people in our state," State Fair manager Josh Gross told the newspaper.

Just ridiculous. That's been the name of their band since 1987 BEFORE some people simply decided the word confederate was offensive.
(07-07-2019, 06:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 04:51 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: In keeping with the title of this topic:

Just ridiculous. That's been the name of their band since 1987 BEFORE some people simply decided the word confederate was offensive.

The progressive chickens have come to roost...........
I think, especially in the case of the mural that these kinds of things should be used educationally if it is politically incorrect. I don't agree with removing every offensive image and chapter and verse from sight. Whitewashing things creates and propagates ignorance to my mind.
Offended is the name of the game. I'm curious why the move towards appeasing those who are 'offended'. Is it about lawsuits?
I can't see the whole painting so I can't really say with any certainty if I think it racist or not. I think I'm inclined to cover it, at most, rather then to destroy it. We shouldn't be trying to erase the past or hide the social/moral wrongs that were done. It should be a reminder to our future selves.
(07-08-2019, 09:25 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I can't see the whole painting so I can't really say with any certainty if I think it racist or not. I think I'm inclined to cover it, at most, rather then to destroy it. We shouldn't be trying to erase the past or hide the social/moral wrongs that were done. It should be a reminder to our future selves.

As far as I see in the article it was just some kids who said it was racist. But I'm pretty sure there's nothing whatsoever in the painting that depicts anything other than the actual way life was then.

I found this......

Crumpler painted three murals in another location at the school, all facing each other in a U-shaped area, above student bulletin boards and school photos

This kid has a good point....... “Blacks did more than just pick cotton,” Black Student Union President Roosevelt Thomas said at a meeting soon after between school officials, students, parents and artists, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “During the revolution, more than 5000 blacks fought for this nation’s independence. They’re not depicted in this mural.” Thomas, who was also a member of the Black Panthers, received a standing ovation for his remarks.

[Image: arnautoff-mural-mount-vernon-at-gwhs-pho....jpg?w=739]

[Image: arnautoff-mural-westward-vision-gwhs-pho....jpg?w=739]

[Image: 27Weiss-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]
The way I see the painting it is racist. Or rather, racism is portrayed in it, because let's face it, genocide and slavery are racist practices. I think the real question is: Is the painting glorifying racism or racist practices? I myself don't think it is. I think it is a portrayal of things as they are, or in this case, were. Racism is taught. So is teaching what IS racism. Now let's teach historical portrayals of racism and what it meant then and what it means now.
(07-08-2019, 02:19 PM)Juniper Wrote: The way I see the painting it is racist. Or rather, racism is portrayed in it, because let's face it, genocide and slavery are racist practices.  I think the real question is:  Is the painting glorifying racism or racist practices?  I myself don't think it is. I think it is a portrayal of things as they are, or in this case, were. Racism is taught. So is teaching what IS racism. Now let's teach historical portrayals of racism and what it meant then and what it means now.

Bingo. But I have to admit the dead Indian laying there I had not seen before and IMO it's a little too much as far as realism in a high school painting.
Were there any dead white guys?
(07-08-2019, 02:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 02:19 PM)Juniper Wrote: The way I see the painting it is racist. Or rather, racism is portrayed in it, because let's face it, genocide and slavery are racist practices.  I think the real question is:  Is the painting glorifying racism or racist practices?  I myself don't think it is. I think it is a portrayal of things as they are, or in this case, were. Racism is taught. So is teaching what IS racism. Now let's teach historical portrayals of racism and what it meant then and what it means now.

Bingo. But I have to admit the dead Indian laying there I had not seen before and IMO it's a little too much as far as realism in a high school painting.
That's why it IS portraying racism.
(07-08-2019, 02:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well sure is because it's factual .. or supposed to be. But like the kid said blacks did more than just pick cotton some actually fought for our independence.
And I'm pretty sure many Indians did also. But that doesn't make the paintings inaccurate. It just means there was more going on than what was painted.
(07-08-2019, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well sure is because it's factual .. or supposed to be. But like the kid said blacks did more than just pick cotton some actually fought for our independence.
And I'm pretty sure many Indians did also. But that doesn't make the paintings inaccurate. It just means there was more going on than what was painted.

Correct. The picture isn't portraying the realities or diversity of the place in hisotry.  And that's limiting.  It shouldn't be removed. Another, new one should be painted on another wall for comparison and have it be taught in the classes.
(07-08-2019, 02:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Correct. The picture isn't portraying ALL OF THE  the realities or diversity of the place in hisotry.  And that's limiting.  It shouldn't be removed. Another, new one should be painted on another wall for comparison and have it be taught in the classes.

Yep.. It's more than likely all taught in classes already.
(07-08-2019, 02:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 02:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 02:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: Bingo. But I have to admit the dead Indian laying there I had not seen before and IMO it's a little too much as far as realism in a high school painting.

Correct. The picture isn't portraying ALL OF THE  the realities or diversity of the place in hisotry.  And that's limiting.  It shouldn't be removed. Another, new one should be painted on another wall for comparison and have it be taught in the classes.

Yep.. It's more than likely all taught in classes already.

Maybe but not in reference to the picture. The painting itself is a good example to work with.
I remember in the not too distant past conservative politicians were attacked by the left for wanting to defund the National Endowment for the arts.  Fast forward to present day.  In San Francisco they have allocated $600,000 of taxpayer money to paint over a 83 year old mural of George Washington at the high school that bears his name.  Can you say American Taliban?   YOUR party has passed you by TVDude, like Joe Biden, you have been thrown on the trash heap by your own party.
Whoah.  SF came out of his hole. Neutral
(07-08-2019, 05:45 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: I remember in the not too distant past conservative politicians were attacked by the left for wanting to defund the National Endowment for the arts.  Fast forward to present day.  In San Francisco they have allocated $600,000 of taxpayer money to paint over a 83 year old mural of George Washington at the high school that bears his name.  Can you say American Taliban?   YOUR party has passed you by TVDude, like Joe Biden, you have been thrown on the trash heap by your own party.

There is a lot about the left that I don't like. But it's the far left. Just like you are the far right.
And yes I'm embarrassed all the time because the far left that dominates the news make many people think all the left is the same.

I'm still a lefty. I'm pro union, Pro choice, pro environment, Pro EPA. Climate change is real and human caused.
Fossil fuels need to used the least as possible.
[Image: 363df1904d289414033a81e10734fae0.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(07-12-2019, 12:47 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: [Image: 363df1904d289414033a81e10734fae0.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about you fuck off and keep your brain dead memes on your own worthless thread.
I see enough of that shit on Facebook.