Does cantaloupe stink?
When ever we have a cantaloupe in the fridge after it's been in there a while, even though it's perfectly good.
IMO it stinks up the house when anyone opens the door to the fridge.This was sliced cantaloupe in a zip lock bag. I asked the wife to keep it in out other fridge in the utility room LOL
And I actually like cantaloupe. My chemo therapy has made me sensitive to some odors. I don't know if that's the problem or if anyone else feels the same about the very strong smell.
I think cantaloupe smell can carry a ways. I just dehydrated 10 lbs. of it and was getting a little tired of the smell, and I like cantaloupe.   Smiling
(08-10-2019, 04:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think cantaloupe smell can carry a ways. I just dehydrated 10 lbs. of it and was getting a little tired of the smell, and I like cantaloupe.   Smiling

Our fridge is close to our living room and my computer. To me the smell is over whelming and not the same smell as they taste.
Zip lock bags do very little to mask odors. The proof of that is bringing a sealed bag of bud in to the house. An hour later the whole house smells like weed.
The only plastic bag I know of that contains the odors are turkey bags. All drug smugglers know this LOL.
(08-10-2019, 04:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 04:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think cantaloupe smell can carry a ways. I just dehydrated 10 lbs. of it and was getting a little tired of the smell, and I like cantaloupe.   Smiling

Our fridge is close to our living room and my computer. To me the smell is over whelming and not the same smell as they taste.
Zip lock bags do very little to mask odors. The proof of that is bringing a sealed bag of bud in to the house. An hour later the whole house smells like weed.
The only plastic bag I know of that contains the odors are turkey bags. All drug smugglers know this LOL.

Foil lined  bags do well. (Potato chip bags)

What are turkey bags?
(08-10-2019, 06:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:

What are turkey bags?

I guess I should have said turkey roasting bags.
(08-11-2019, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What are turkey bags?

I thought you were suppose to unwrap it before roasting.
Next time, I'll leave it in the bag.
(08-11-2019, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What are turkey bags?

OK. I never used those...maybe once or twice years ago...somehow the idea of cooking my turkey in something like that seems wrong. But, maybe you've got the proper use of them.
My wife brought home a cantaloupe from Seven Oaks the other day. It is one of the best I've had in years. Perfect! Are you sure its the melon stinking up your house? Do you blame your dog when you fart?
(08-11-2019, 06:07 PM)GCG Wrote: My wife brought home a cantaloupe from Seven Oaks the other day. It is one of the best I've had in years. Perfect! Are you sure its the melon stinking up your house? Do you blame your dog when you fart?
Yeah it's the melons rind that smells. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the cantaloupe. We also got our cantaloupe from Seven Oaks, it could have been a brother of yours Razz
The cron  Razz from Seven Oaks is amazing too.
So what is the history of "sweet cron"? I've seen the signs out near Cave Junction. At 1st I just figured it was standard "CJ illiteracy." But I've come to believe there is a story behind it. Does anyone know?
(08-12-2019, 04:02 PM)GCG Wrote: So what is the history of "sweet cron"? I've seen the signs out near Cave Junction. At 1st I just figured it was standard "CJ illiteracy." But I've come to believe there is a story behind it. Does anyone know?

https://kobi5.com/news/sweet-cron-the-st...gns-77998/
(08-12-2019, 04:07 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 04:02 PM)GCG Wrote: So what is the history of "sweet cron"? I've seen the signs out near Cave Junction. At 1st I just figured it was standard "CJ illiteracy." But I've come to believe there is a story behind it. Does anyone know?

Yup. Illiteracy.
(08-12-2019, 05:24 PM)GCG Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 04:07 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Yup. Illiteracy.
Could be but that's not what I got our of the story. It looks more like an error to me than the possibility she didn't know how to spell corn.

“My mother-in-law was painting three new signs,” Nelsen explains, “She was in the middle of it, got interrupted, when she went back for whatever reason she got the R before the O. Never realized it, they got out on the highway.
Quote:If there is a sweet smell and slightly musky scent, that's the sign of a good cantaloupe.

If you smell something similar to alcohol or nail polish remover, the melon is fermented and on the verge of going very, very bad.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/pick-cantal...ings-look/
(08-12-2019, 06:45 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:If there is a sweet smell and slightly musky scent, that's the sign of a good cantaloupe.

If you smell something similar to alcohol or nail polish remover, the melon is fermented and on the verge of going very, very bad.

This was ripe cantaloupe slices still on the rind in a zip lock bag. There were not over ripe. I googled it and apparently there are a lot of people who don't like the smell of cantaloupe.With me it's the rind. It smells up the entire fridge.
I guess it might be my chemo issues that amplify what I already disliked.
(08-12-2019, 07:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

This was ripe cantaloupe slices still on the rind in a zip lock bag. There were not over ripe. I googled it and apparently there are a lot of people who don't like the smell of cantaloupe.With me it's the rind. It smells up the entire fridge.
Sounds like pregnancy
(08-12-2019, 09:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Sounds like pregnancy

They both involve a growing sac of cells in your body.
(08-12-2019, 10:03 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Sounds like pregnancy

No, Chemo doesn't.
(08-13-2019, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 10:03 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 06:45 PM)chuck white Wrote: https://www.wideopeneats.com/pick-cantal...ings-look/

Sounds like pregnancy

No, Chemo doesn't.

Why would you have Chemo, if you didn't have a growing sac of cells in your body?