Breaking Bad
(08-23-2019, 06:42 PM)GCG Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 04:50 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 10:51 AM)GCG Wrote: My wife recently watched the entire BB series for the 2nd time. I didn't really enjoy it enough to give it another watch. But, for me, there were no really likable characters, (other than Hank). I especially didn't care for Walt's wife or his kid. OTOH, I liked a lot of the characters on Saul. Especially Kim and Mike and Nacho. How many of you remember Michael McKean as "Lenny" on Laverne and Shirley? That guy is super talented.

Interesting that you say that about the wife. Most people universally say that. I saw something once about this and asking what it means about the character. One theory I saw, posited the idea that Skyler is annoying because she is perceived as a nag, although really, she is only nagging about what is right. Deep down, we want to see Walter succeed and Skyler is percieved as holding him back. And also what it says to us on a subconcious level about female and male gender roles. I didn't like her either. Until I did watch it again and realized what a great actress she is.

She really did a great job. I don't think we, (the audience), are supposed to like her. I did kinda like her sister though... wasn't she a klepto or something? For some reason I liked her at some point... not sure why. Normally, gratuitous nudity would do it... but that's not it. <shrug>

Yeah, I didn't like the sister either. No really likeable females characters. The lady who plays Lydia plays her wound so tight she might snap.  She's Irish I think.
(08-23-2019, 07:05 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 05:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 10:51 AM)GCG Wrote: My wife recently watched the entire BB series for the 2nd time. I didn't really enjoy it enough to give it another watch. But, for me, there were no really likable characters, (other than Hank). I especially didn't care for Walt's wife or his kid. OTOH, I liked a lot of the characters on Saul. Especially Kim and Mike and Nacho. How many of you remember Michael McKean as "Lenny" on Laverne and Shirley? That guy is super talented.

Interesting that you say that about the wife. Most people universally say that. I saw something once about this and asking what it means about the character. One theory I saw, posited the idea that Skyler is annoying because she is perceived as a nag, although really, she is only nagging about what is right. Deep down, we want to see Walter succeed and Skyler is percieved as holding him back. And also what it says to us on a subconcious level about female and male gender roles. I didn't like her either. Until I did watch it again and realized what a great actress she is.
 Is it that hard to be an ass Razz

she is only nagging about what is right

Not from what I remember.

And also what it says to us on a subconcious level about female and male gender roles.

Hmmmm. I don't think so. I could be wrong. if the same exact script had Walt as gay and his partner play a jerk. I'm pretty sure I would think he was also a jerk.

Well, she is not nagging about what is right?  I don't think the character was portrayed any differently from how it was written.   She is annoying, but how is what she is nagging about not right?  First it's about how they are going to pay his medical bills, and then it's about legality, morality and then about how to stay safe and not be killed.  Anyway, I was just saying something I read about it.

I know most of her nagging or complaints were Justified. And I don't remember exactly what she complained or nagged about. It just seems to me I remember she ALSO complained or nagged about thing that's were not justified.
And yes I know it was something you read. Smiling
(08-23-2019, 11:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:

And also what it says to us on a subconcious level about female and male gender roles.

Hmmmm. I don't think so. I could be wrong. if the same exact script had Walt as gay and his partner play a jerk. I'm pretty sure I would think he was also a jerk.

Well, she is not nagging about what is right?  I don't think the character was portrayed any differently from how it was written.   She is annoying, but how is what she is nagging about not right?  First it's about how they are going to pay his medical bills, and then it's about legality, morality and then about how to stay safe and not be killed.  Anyway, I was just saying something I read about it.

I know most of her nagging or complaints were Justified. And I don't remember exactly what she complained or nagged about. It just seems to me I remember she ALSO complained or nagged about thing that's were not justified.
I think her nagging evolved and it was pretty consistent and it grew as the issues grew. And it was right.  They were valid things to be worried about.
(08-23-2019, 11:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 04:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: Interesting that you say that about the wife. Most people universally say that. I saw something once about this and asking what it means about the character. One theory I saw, posited the idea that Skyler is annoying because she is perceived as a nag, although really, she is only nagging about what is right. Deep down, we want to see Walter succeed and Skyler is percieved as holding him back. And also what it says to us on a subconcious level about female and male gender roles. I didn't like her either. Until I did watch it again and realized what a great actress she is.

I think her nagging evolved and it was pretty consistent and it grew as the issues grew. And it was right.  They were valid things to be worried about.
I would have to watch it again to know that. Not sure why I would remember her for being such a bitch if all of her nagging whining complaining were ALL about valid things.  
You could be right.
(08-24-2019, 03:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 11:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 05:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Is it that hard to be an ass Razz

I would have to watch it again to know that. Not sure why I would remember her for being such a bitch if all of her nagging whining complaining were ALL about valid things.  
You could be right.

Well, really they were, but she played it annoying so well.
I am so looking forward to this! Oct 11!

(09-25-2019, 06:55 AM)GPnative Wrote: I am so looking forward to this! Oct 11!

What?!?! Oh boy!!!! We will def have to see that!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(09-25-2019, 09:17 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Dang....I kind of feel like that trailer told too much.
(09-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I was guessing you must have to have seen the original series to have made any sense of it at all.

I thought it was perfect. What did it tell? That's he's on the run and shattered emotionally? Didn't need a trailer to already know that.
I didn't watch the trailer. I'm going to watch this anyway so I don't need no stinking trailer.

I wasn't too crazy about Jesse. I hope that doesn't matter.
(09-25-2019, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: I didn't watch the trailer. I'm going to watch this anyway so I don't need no stinking trailer.

The show wouldn't have been very interesting without I'm.
(09-25-2019, 04:47 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: I didn't watch the trailer. I'm going to watch this anyway so I don't need no stinking trailer.

Cant recall exactly if they were going to do it in season one or two, but his character was originally supposed to be killed. But the chemistry (pardon the pun) with cranston, and Aaron Paul nailing the character, that idea thankfully went out the window, he was a pivotal character for the show imo, yeaaa bitch.
I liked Jesse. He was a good counter foil to Walt. Even if there was a character I didn't like much, (Hank for me) they were important. I think of Jesse not as Walt's son, but Heisenburg's son in a way.
(09-25-2019, 01:42 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I thought it was perfect. What did it tell? That's he's on the run and shattered emotionally? Didn't need a trailer to already know that.

I just felt like I didn't need to see any of that yet...it can be told...it's just a movie after all.  I liked the one with Skinny Pete,,,because it was kind of open ended...without saying anything else.
(09-25-2019, 12:42 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I was guessing you must have to have seen the original series to have made any sense of it at all.

I would say: Why bother watching if you hadn't seen the series?
(09-25-2019, 08:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Why not?

Well sure that doesn't mean some other actor could not have played his part that I may have liked better.
(09-26-2019, 08:17 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Well sure that doesn't mean some other actor could not have played his part that I may have liked better.
So it's the actor you don't care for, not the character?
(09-25-2019, 11:17 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 08:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 09:17 AM)Scrapper Wrote: What?!?! Oh boy!!!! We will def have to see that!

Why not?

Well, you can....but it's a sequel after all, not a free standing story.  So, yeah, it helps to have seen the series.  Or, at least the last season.