Trump Hatred
(09-30-2019, 12:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 10:46 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 09:41 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 02:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 08:55 AM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah never mind that we Boomers helped build this country compared to most all others to what I consider a shining beacon on a hill.
That attracts more people than we can handle. Never mind the amount of food we produce, the medical advances, the technology. The products/goods the military might we use to protect freedom all over the world.

Not me, no FB, never have, never will. But sounds like someone else has the boomer reality all figured out, i would like to buy him/her a drink.
How old are you? And what specifically have boomers done wrong? And how is conversing with someone on FB any different than doing so here?

GenX, I could get into it but I'd be fighting a losing battle here, besides, unless it comes with free boner pills, Boomers won't listen anyway, They think they are the greatest generation because they partied hard on debt, deficits and broken homes*, but hey they went to the moon!

FB is a massive data mining propaganda social engineering machine. The only thing it has in common with this place is, well, people can converse, until you or disagree with the wrong person, or the wrong social commentary or call someone an idiot, then you are deemed a hate monger and not allowed to play any more. This little slice of the internet you are actually free to be yourself, what a concept.

Not my words, pulled for stats.
*Once known as the “me generation,” baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. And it’s among this group—now ages 53 to 71—that the divorce rate is highest. While the rest of the nation has seen a decline in the divorce rate over that last two decades, the divorce rate has doubled for 55- to 64-year olds and tripled for the over-65 group.

WTF does the divorce rate have to do with anything? Is that supposed to prove something?

And this is the first time I have ever heard of boomers being the "ME generation" So since you didn't provide a link I tried to find it. I found lots of definitions and talk about boomers but only found ONE site that said "ME generation" and it was apparently where you found it.
On some site called  AvvoStories??? And it's all about the divorce rate?

https://stories.avvo.com/relationships/d...ation.html

They think they are the greatest generation because they partied hard on debt, deficits and broken homes*, but hey they went to the moon!

So you know what we boomers think? Sorry but the "greatest generation" as far as I know was always describing the men and women from the world war 2 era who came home a built America.

GenX, I could get into it but I'd be fighting a losing battle here, besides, unless it comes with free boner pills, Boomers won't listen anyway,

You say you don't want to get in to it and you makes these stereotyping insults. Rolling Eyes  I'm listening but I haven't heard anything that makes sense yet as to why my generation is any better or worse than any other.

They left in their selfish wake broken homes with fatherless/motherless children by the millions, if you don't think that has an impact on society then....well of course you don't, you are one of them Laughing And I am well aware of the actual "Greatest Generation" I said boomers THINK THEY are the greatest generation.
(09-30-2019, 12:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: It was not the boomers who took us to the moon LOL. That would have been the "greatest generation who did that.

Exactly, but Boomers being alive at the time love to take credit for it.
(09-30-2019, 12:59 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 02:43 PM)GPnative Wrote: Not me, no FB, never have, never will. But sounds like someone else has the boomer reality all figured out, i would like to buy him/her a drink.
How old are you? And what specifically have boomers done wrong? And how is conversing with someone on FB any different than doing so here?

GenX, I could get into it but I'd be fighting a losing battle here, besides, unless it comes with free boner pills, Boomers won't listen anyway, They think they are the greatest generation because they partied hard on debt, deficits and broken homes*, but hey they went to the moon!

FB is a massive data mining propaganda social engineering machine. The only thing it has in common with this place is, well, people can converse, until you or disagree with the wrong person, or the wrong social commentary or call someone an idiot, then you are deemed a hate monger and not allowed to play any more. This little slice of the internet you are actually free to be yourself, what a concept.

*Once known as the “me generation,” baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. And it’s among this group—now ages 53 to 71—that the divorce rate is highest. While the rest of the nation has seen a decline in the divorce rate over that last two decades, the divorce rate has doubled for 55- to 64-year olds and tripled for the over-65 group.

WTF does the divorce rate have to do with anything? Is that supposed to prove something?

And this is the first time I have ever heard of boomers being the "ME generation" So since you didn't provide a link I tried to find it. I found lots of definitions and talk about boomers but only found ONE site that said "ME generation" and it was apparently where you found it.

They think they are the greatest generation because they partied hard on debt, deficits and broken homes*, but hey they went to the moon!

So you know what we boomers think? Sorry but the "greatest generation" as far as I know was always describing the men and women from the world war 2 era who came home a built America.

GenX, I could get into it but I'd be fighting a losing battle here, besides, unless it comes with free boner pills, Boomers won't listen anyway,

You say you don't want to get in to it and you makes these stereotyping insults. Rolling Eyes  I'm listening but I haven't heard anything that makes sense yet as to why my generation is any better or worse than any other.

They left in their selfish wake broken homes with fatherless/motherless children by the millions, if you don't think that has an impact on society then....well of course you don't, you are one of them Laughing And I am well aware of the actual "Greatest Generation" I said boomers THINK THEY are the greatest generation.

I think you may be reading more into the numbers then are actually there. GenX has less but still high number of divorces and haven't reached the age were boomers divorce rate took a jump, mainly after children were grown and moved out (or should have). Millennials are still too young to know how divorce will play out. I think to be accurate more time needs to pass to see the real comparative differences overall.
(09-30-2019, 09:53 AM)tvguy Wrote: One more thing. NOTHING describes "deplorable" more to me than those who refuse to believe the science behind climate change.
Those who don't believe it is human caused. Those who look to find fault with any type of alternate energy.
And ESPECIALLY the people who deny the earth and our oceans are warming and that it is and will cause astronomical problems.
Absofreakinlutely!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BTW, 61 years old... celebrating 41 years together (39 married) October 23rd. Most of the people I know that are my age are still married. What I've found is that the younger crowd often times just shack up without ever getting married (and then jump from relationship to relationship) even when kids are involved. So, yeah... they probably do have a much lower divorce rate. Duh!

as far as I can tell, gpnative would feel right at home on FB. It's full of types like him. JOCO chat, especially. He probably knows most of em.
(09-30-2019, 12:59 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 02:43 PM)GPnative Wrote: Not me, no FB, never have, never will. But sounds like someone else has the boomer reality all figured out, i would like to buy him/her a drink.

They left in their selfish wake broken homes with fatherless/motherless children by the millions,

Where in the hell does it say that. The very link you posted said...
divorce rate has doubled for 55- to 64-year olds and tripled for the over-65 group.

How many 55 year olds and up have children? And in what world do children lose their mother and father just because they got divorced?

Have you been drinking or what? You seem angry and you are totally not proving your point.
(09-30-2019, 05:25 PM)Scrapper Wrote: BTW, 61 years old... celebrating 41 years together (39 married) October 23rd. Most of the people I know that are my age are still married. What I've found is that the younger crowd often times just shack up without ever getting married (and then jump from relationship to relationship) even when kids are involved. So, yeah... they probably do have a much lower divorce rate. Duh!

I'm 67, been married 45 years. I have no clue why the divorce rate might be higher for 55 year old people and older.
Or why that's says anything meaningful.
GP just found that info TRYING to prove there was something wrong with the boomer gen. And failed.
(09-30-2019, 06:53 PM)bbqboy Wrote: as far as I can tell, gpnative would feel right at home on FB. It's full of types like him. JOCO chat, especially. He probably knows most of em.

Yea, cause being a bitter old fool such as yourself is such a high road.
(09-30-2019, 07:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 05:25 PM)Scrapper Wrote: BTW, 61 years old... celebrating 41 years together (39 married) October 23rd. Most of the people I know that are my age are still married. What I've found is that the younger crowd often times just shack up without ever getting married (and then jump from relationship to relationship) even when kids are involved. So, yeah... they probably do have a much lower divorce rate. Duh!

I'm 67, been married 45 years. I have no clue why the divorce rate might be higher for 55 year old people and older.
GP just found that info TRYING to prove there was something wrong with the boomer gen. And failed.

Nope, it's well documented boomers have trouble staying married. But of course facts be damned because incidentally you and yours stayed together.

Previously you also said you had never heard of Boomers being referred to as the "Me Generation" and you could not find anything except the exert I grabbed from an article. You either need to work on your google skills or you are in denial, I'm done posting links because damned if you do, damned if you don't around here w/ the cherry picking, but you can find everything from Time magazine referencing boomers as the Me Generation to a Wikipedia page.

The thing is I am putting very little effort into this dialog, I am not searching for points to make a key fit, this is just quick off the cuff posting. I am not going to try and cram my personal years worth of reading, watching, etc of what's ultimately formed my opinions to sway any minds here, nor do I care to. I'm not going to go pull the stats on how boomers dominated the seats in Washington for years, however, thankfully the number continues to shift as they are being replaced. If you want to research the personality traits of Boomers, that's on you to do. But when you understand that combined with instituting policy for their deeply entrenched beliefs and lack of compromise, here we are, Gridlock. And how ironic, on a small scale, Gridlock here as well.

With GenX and Millennials gaining in rank, time will tell how it plays out. GenX being distrusting of government and Millennials being more group orientated and tolerant, the tide will change, eventually, Boomers wont go w/out a fight, riding their entrenched principles to the grave, but change is coming.
(10-01-2019, 11:52 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Nope, it's well documented boomers have trouble staying married. But of course facts be damned because incidentally you and yours stayed together.

Previously you also said you had never heard of Boomers being referred to as the "Me Generation" and you could not find anything except the exert I grabbed from an article. You either need to work on your google skills or you are in denial, I'm done posting links because damned if you do, damned if you don't around here w/ the cherry picking,  but you can find everything from Time magazine referencing boomers as the Me Generation to a Wikipedia page.

The thing is I am putting very little effort into this dialog, I am not searching for points to make a key fit, this is just quick off the cuff posting. I am not going to try and cram my personal years worth of reading, watching, etc of what's ultimately formed my opinions to sway any minds here, nor do I care to. I'm not going to go pull the stats on how boomers dominated the seats in Washington for years, however, thankfully the number continues to shift as they are being replaced. If you want to research the personality traits of Boomers, that's on you to do. But when you understand that combined with instituting policy for their deeply entrenched beliefs and lack of compromise, here we are, Gridlock. And how ironic, on a small scale, Gridlock here as well.

With GenX and Millennials gaining in rank, time will tell how it plays out. GenX being distrusting of government and Millennials  being more group orientated and tolerant, the tide will change, eventually, Boomers wont go w/out a fight, riding their entrenched principles to the grave, but change is coming.

What you're describing is the natural way of the world. Each generation takes it's turn at running the show. Always has and always will, you can't stop nature.
(10-01-2019, 12:16 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Previously you also said you had never heard of Boomers being referred to as the "Me Generation" and you could not find anything except the exert I grabbed from an article. You either need to work on your google skills or you are in denial, I'm done posting links because damned if you do, damned if you don't around here w/ the cherry picking,  but you can find everything from Time magazine referencing boomers as the Me Generation to a Wikipedia page.

With GenX and Millennials gaining in rank, time will tell how it plays out. GenX being distrusting of government and Millennials  being more group orientated and tolerant, the tide will change, eventually, Boomers wont go w/out a fight, riding their entrenched principles to the grave, but change is coming.

What you're describing is the natural way of the world. Each generation takes it's turn at running the show. Always has and always will, you can't stop nature.

Yes, I don't think anyone disagrees with that, the disconnect comes in when the current generation behind the wheel denies the shaping of their generation's personality traits and culpability for current state of affairs. (therein lies the rub though, they see their reign as great, and it was, for them, the can is kicked so far down the road they will be long gone) It is not a hard and fast rule here, of course there are exceptions, but we are talking the shaping of generations. Rather fascinating if you ask me. Or you can simplify it and ignore it like TV and just accuse me of being drunk Rolling Eyes
(10-01-2019, 12:35 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Yes, I don't think anyone disagrees with that, the disconnect comes in when the current generation behind the wheel denies the shaping of their generation's personality traits and culpability for current state of affairs. (therein lies the rub though, they see their reign as great, and it was, for them, the can is kicked so far down the road they will be long gone) It is not a hard and fast rule here, of course there are exceptions, but we are talking the shaping of generations. Rather fascinating if you ask me. Or you can simplify it and ignore it like TV and just accuse me of being drunk Rolling Eyes

Sorry, now you're just being too oblique to understand just what you're going on about. What do you mean "denies the shaping of their generation's personality traits and culpability for current state of affairs". What current state of affairs exactly. You're leaving everything open to the whole universe here.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-colum...trump/ampI

Thunberg’s world view is the opposite of President Trump’s: she sees the universe as moral; he believes that it is rotten. She believes in the concepts of right and wrong, and he is a nihilist.
Continued....
(10-01-2019, 04:20 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 07:33 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm 67, been married 45 years. I have no clue why the divorce rate might be higher for 55 year old people and older.

Sorry, now you're just being too oblique to understand just what you're going on about. What do you mean "denies the shaping of their generation's personality traits and culpability for current state of affairs". What current state of affairs exactly. You're leaving everything open to the whole universe here.

Yeah I don't think he can explain or prove what is only a feeling he has about boomers. Maybe he just hates his parents.
I think the whole generation labeling thing is baloney and simply ignorant stereotyping.

My grandfather was 10 years old when the civil war started. My uncle was in WW1... My dad WW2.... My brother Korea.. Me Vietnam era.
I think those are all generations. IMO a LOT of what has changed from then till today is not good.
(10-02-2019, 10:33 AM)ytvguy Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 11:52 AM)GPnative Wrote: Nope, it's well documented boomers have trouble staying married. But of course facts be damned because incidentally you and yours stayed together.

Yeah I don't think he can explain or prove what is only a feeling he has about boomers. Maybe he just hates his parents.
I think the whole generation labeling thing is baloney and simply ignorant stereotyping.

Laughing Laughing  Of course you would think that

PS - My parents are cream of the crop, love them dearly. Perhaps you are the one doing the stereotyping.
(10-02-2019, 10:33 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 11:52 AM)GPnative Wrote: Nope, it's well documented boomers have trouble staying married. But of course facts be damned because incidentally you and yours stayed together.

My grandfather was 10 years old when the civil war started. My uncle was in WW1... My dad WW2.... My brother Korea.. Me Vietnam era.
I think those are all generations. IMO a LOT of what has changed from then till today is not good.

Yeah, you could be right. I agree blaming an entire generation for anything is just the blame someone else syndrome. I think each does the best they can in the environment they find themselves in. Sure with hindsight there are things they could have done better, that's true of every generation. Without knowing in particular what bothers him I'll leave it at that.
I would yell at someone back in the 40's, with a Hitler bumper sticker.