Corona virus
(03-02-2020, 11:37 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Third presumptive case of COVID-19 coronavirus in Oregon announced by OHA

https://www.kptv.com/news/third-presumpt...t=headline 

presumptive...Word for the day...

Quote:South Korea pioneers coronavirus drive-through testing station
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/coronavirus...b2564.html

Quote:A "drive through" testing centre for coronavirus has opened in Edinburgh amid warnings a positive case in Scotland is "inevitable".
Patients with appointments are being tested for the virus in their cars at the Western General Hospital in the city.
Scotland remains the only part of the UK without a positive Covid-19 case.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-51678008

What incompetence we have in this country, who is in charge?
(03-02-2020, 12:16 PM)chuck white Wrote: Well my fever must be breaking, I'm sweating up a storm. I couldn't locate my thermometer, I had one last year.
I called the Josephine public health to see if they would test for Covid19, They want me to go and have a bunch of other test first at urgent care.
On my dime. I ask what benefit was there for me to know what I had. It was not going to change anything on how I was treating myself. He said it would be to the public's interest to know. Which I understand, but then it should be paid for by the public. I'm not going to pay for them to have information.
So as it stands right now. If you have a mild case of covid-19, which does not require hospital intervention they don't want to test you. I'm sure that it's just a ordinary flu, but if it's not, then we might see a big outbreak in Grants Pass.
What worries me is that somebody else might have a mild case of covid-19 and they can't get tested without it being one of the 20% who get real sick.

They should test everyone who has the flu, period. We need to know how wide spread this is.

Yup, so this basically confirms it's a big cluster fuck and shit is going to start ramping up fast.

and speaking of, 5 deaths in US now.
(03-01-2020, 09:49 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Coronavirus latest updates: second death in US as New York confirms first case

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2...date-cases

Quote:New York state governor says woman in her 30s returned from Iran, as China announces just 200 new cases

Only one day went by, since the 1st one.
Probably will have 2 more tomorrow.

Isn't exponential growth a bitch.

Quote:Three more people have died of the coronavirus in Washington state, raising the death toll in the state and the nation to five, health officials said Monday.
"We are reporting four new cases today," Jeffrey Duchin, a health officer in King County and Seattle, said on Twitter. "Of the four cases, two have died. In addition, one of our previously reported cases has now died."
The three latest victims were women in their 70s and 80s, King County Public Health said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...927183002/

Growing faster then I predicted.
I made bold predictions about Trump's reelection on this site, at the time I certainly didn't figure on a pandemic to sweep the world, but he's fucked now. His rainbows and unicorn lala land handling of this, the outright hoax lie of a press conference last week, he's done for, with every death in the US, only sealing his fate. Of course some may say he walked into a trap, which even if that is the case, either way it makes him totally incompetent to lead a nation through this.
The next 7 to 10 days will be pivotal, if he 180's and opens up to the reality facing the USA he may pull through, but if he doubles down on the hoax/lies or continues to just campaign and being flippant, he'll get his walking papers. Geez, what a difference a couple months can make, eh?
I just keep getting more and more amazed, Now it's deaths up to 6.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/seattle-...-to-5.html

but the most amazing part of this link, the last paragraph:

"Seattle-area officials are setting up a coronavirus hotline and looking to buy a motel to convert into a quarantine facility. They are also placing modular housing previously used for oil workers in Texas at several locations around the area that can accommodate  at least 100 people, they said."

If your city is looking to buy a motel to handle the spread of a disease....I mean really.....if you live in that town, hunker the fuck down.
Quote:Pence is not a believer in science so it's unlikely that epidemiology is something he believes is particularly valuable. He wrote an op-ed back in 2000 asserting that "smoking doesn't kill." A couple of years later, he told CNN that condoms were "very poor" protection against sexually transmitted disease, and that "the only true safe sex is no sex." He has said that global warming is a myth and he doesn't believe in evolution. It's hard to imagine a worse person the president could have chosen to run the response to a pandemic.
https://www.salon.com/2020/03/02/mike-pe...-disaster/

Quote:In an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity, newly crowned coronavirus point man Mike Pence spun the facts in claiming he moved decisively when confronted with a disturbing HIV outbreak in a rural Indiana county when he was governor of the state.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/pence-...-outbreak/

Quote:“I don’t believe in needle exchanges as a way to combat drug abuse, but in this case, we came to the conclusion that we had a public health emergency, and so, I took executive action to make a limited needle exchange available.”

What an idiot, didn't even know what the problem was.

Quote:But Pence’s fellow Hoosier Pete Buttigieg, the former South Bend mayor now seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, says there’s more to the story. “He was dragged kicking and screaming into that,” Buttigieg told CNN’s Don Lemon on Feb. 27. “Had he acted earlier, I believe that the worst parts of the HIV epidemic could have been avoided.”

Buttigieg is right. An unusually high number of HIV cases in Scott County, Indiana, was first spotted by health authorities in November 2014. Pence did not declare a public health emergency and authorize a needle exchange program for the county until March 26, 2015.
Durability of corona viruses on different surfaces depending on the temperature:
Material Temperature Duration
Steel ------ 30degC ---- 2days
Steel ------ 21degC ----- 5days
Aluminum 21degC ---- 1day
Wood ---- 21degC ----- 4days
Paper ---- 21degC ----- 4days
PVC ------ 21degC ----- 5days
Silicone - 21degC ------ 5days
Hard plastic 21degC --- 6-9days

Possible disinfectants: 2-propanol 70% 30 sec exposure time

Thermal treatment: 60degC 30 minutes exposure time
(03-02-2020, 01:22 PM)tornado Wrote: Durability of corona viruses on different surfaces depending on the temperature:
Material Temperature Duration
Steel ------ 30degC ---- 2days
Steel ------ 21degC ----- 5days
Aluminum 21degC ---- 1day
Wood ---- 21degC ----- 4days
Paper ---- 21degC ----- 4days
PVC ------ 21degC ----- 5days
Silicone - 21degC ------ 5days
Hard plastic 21degC --- 6-9days

Possible disinfectants: 2-propanol 70% 30 sec exposure time

Thermal treatment: 60degC 30 minutes exposure time

Shipments I received from China and Korea, 2 days shipping time.
Paper wrapped, items of steel, plastic, and Aluminum.

But it just a hoax, The President has said as much.
cases 90,279
deaths 3,085
recovered 45,581
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...7b48e9ecf6
(03-02-2020, 12:28 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 11:37 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Third presumptive case of COVID-19 coronavirus in Oregon announced by OHA

https://www.kptv.com/news/third-presumpt...t=headline 

Quote:South Korea pioneers coronavirus drive-through testing station
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/coronavirus...b2564.html

Quote:A "drive through" testing centre for coronavirus has opened in Edinburgh amid warnings a positive case in Scotland is "inevitable".
Patients with appointments are being tested for the virus in their cars at the Western General Hospital in the city.
Scotland remains the only part of the UK without a positive Covid-19 case.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-51678008

What incompetence we have in this country, who is in charge?

I think presumptive just means they did test for Covid19 and the teat was positive but not definite until it's tested by the CDC.
As far as I know the presumptive tests are very accurate.
(03-02-2020, 01:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: I just keep getting more and more amazed, Now it's deaths up to 6.

"Seattle-area officials are setting up a coronavirus hotline and looking to buy a motel to convert into a quarantine facility. They are also placing modular housing previously used for oil workers in Texas at several locations around the area that can accommodate  at least 100 people, they said."

If your city is looking to buy a motel to handle the spread of a disease....I mean really.....if you live in that town, hunker the fuck down.
Well that's because unlike China there's no way in the world WE could build huge hospitals in two weeks.
(03-02-2020, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 01:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: I just keep getting more and more amazed, Now it's deaths up to 6.

Well that's because unlike China there's no way in the world WE could build huge hospitals in two weeks.
It would take weeks for an environmental impact report.
I'm amazed at the public's reaction to Covid19. There seems to be two camps. One, camp A (that I'm in) believes this virus is a serious threat and we had better take it very seriously and do whatever we can to reduce it's spread.

And the other (camp B) believes this is nothing more than the common flu and anyone in the OTHER camp is a fool who is panicking.

Now here is the kicker. I think the majority of camp B are right wingers and the majority of camp A are left wingers. Twitch
(03-02-2020, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I get that, but at the same time it indicates the fragile nature of what's afoot. You can only hang your hat on the "best health care in the world" to see you through when you have hospital beds available. If you are planning on a motel, uh oh Lucy.
(03-02-2020, 03:09 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm amazed at the public's reaction to Covid19. There seems to be two camps. One, camp A (that I'm in) believes this virus is a serious threat and we had better take it very seriously and do whatever we can to reduce it's spread.

And the other (camp B) believes this is nothing more than the common flu and anyone in the OTHER camp is a fool who is panicking.

Now here is the kicker. I think the majority of camp B are right wingers and the majority of camp A are left wingers. Twitch

Kind of like flat earther , I mean climate change deniers (I often lump them together).

Science or faith.
(03-02-2020, 03:09 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm amazed at the public's reaction to Covid19. There seems to be two camps. One, camp A (that I'm in) believes this virus is a serious threat and we had better take it very seriously and do whatever we can to reduce it's spread.

It is a very odd dynamic....I'm also in camp A (with facts on our side) But holy cow am I surrounded by camp B.
I guess my theory is correct. And now I see why

[/url]Coronavirus: How Fox News and other right-wing media endanger our health
Despite steady warnings from health organizations worldwide, right-wing media are clogging the airwaves with conspiracy theories and inaccurate reporting.
 Virtually from the moment reports of a new virus emerged out of Wuhan, China, far-right extremists began circulating theories about its origin. When experts declared that the coronavirus likely spread from bats, far-right figures began circulating videos showing Asian people consuming exotic animals. Former InfoWars personality Paul Joseph Watson tweeted, “Our media encourages us to eat all kinds of weird stuff because it’s ‘normal’ in other cultures,” but “some cultures are better than others.
 In early February, fringe bloggers claimed that the findings of an unpublished, unreviewed paper that found similarities between the virus and HIV indicated that the virus was man-made. Though it was repeatedly debunked, the claim is now ubiquitous in right-wing media: The Daily Wire, The Federalist, Steve Bannon and Rush Limbaugh have all uncritically pushed the conspiracy theory that the virus may have leaked from a Chinese research lab.

Coronavirus politics
The politicization of the disease ultimately serves to provide cover for right-wing media to justify bigoted policies and xenophobic rhetoric. Carlson, a man with a well-documented history of expressing white nationalist sentiment, blamed globalization for the outbreak, and declared that “wokeness is a cult” that would “let you die before they admitted that diversity is not our strength."
Others have adopted right-wing media talking points about the disease to justify Trump’s policies. On Tuesday, Donald Trump Jr. tweeted that the coronavirus showed his father had been “proven right again” about “border control, American manufacturing” and being a “China hawk.” Fox News' Melissa Francis argued that the coronavirus outbreak had vindicated Trump’s trade war with China.
It is now practically inevitable that the United States will face an outbreak of the coronavirus, but half-baked information is already appearing in public statements from Trump and other officials. Trump has already made multiple false or misleading claims regarding the virus that contradict experts and his own

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced on Tuesday that Americans should prepare for a “significant disruption” to everyday life as the spread of COVID-19 (known colloquially as the coronavirus) into the United States becomes “not so much a question of if,” according to one official, “but rather more a question of exactly when.”
Despite steady warnings from health organizations worldwide, right-wing media are clogging the airwaves with conspiracy theories and inaccurate reporting. Outlets like Fox News are broadcasting sensationalistic, poorly sourced talking points, obfuscating the realities of the outbreak and the United States' own readiness to deal with it, leaving Americans more vulnerable and less informed.
Virtually from the moment reports of a new virus emerged out of Wuhan, China, far-right extremists began circulating theories about its origin. When experts declared that the coronavirus likely spread from bats, far-right figures began circulating videos showing Asian people consuming exotic animals. Former InfoWars personality Paul Joseph Watson tweeted, “Our media encourages us to eat all kinds of weird stuff because it’s ‘normal’ in other cultures,” but “some cultures are better than others.”

Story from
U.S. Census Bureau
The 2020 Census will inform spending for the next 10 years
Next time you’re on your morning commute, merging on to a freeway or crossing a bridge, think of the decennial census.
See More →

That evening, Fox News prime-time host Tucker Carlson also blamed the emergence of the virus on Chinese culture, erroneously claiming it was a result of people consuming animals “alive.” 
Fringe conspiracy theories
The moment was emblematic of the cycle that right-wing media has fallen into while covering the coronavirus: Fringe conspiracy theories are making their way to more mainstream outlets and overshadowing accurate, fact-based reporting.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced on Tuesday that Americans should prepare for a “significant disruption” to everyday life as the spread of COVID-19 (known colloquially as the coronavirus) into the United States becomes “not so much a question of if,” according to one official, “but rather more a question of exactly when.”
Despite steady warnings from health organizations worldwide, right-wing media are clogging the airwaves with conspiracy theories and inaccurate reporting. Outlets like Fox News are broadcasting sensationalistic, poorly sourced talking points, obfuscating the realities of the outbreak and the United States' own readiness to deal with it, leaving Americans more vulnerable and less informed.
Virtually from the moment reports of a new virus emerged out of Wuhan, China, far-right extremists began circulating theories about its origin. When experts declared that the coronavirus likely spread from bats, far-right figures began circulating videos showing Asian people consuming exotic animals. Former InfoWars personality Paul Joseph Watson tweeted, “Our media encourages us to eat all kinds of weird stuff because it’s ‘normal’ in other cultures,” but “some cultures are better than others.”

[url=http://twitter.com/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fopinion%2F2020%2F02%2F27%2Ffox-news-right-wing-media-conspiracy-theories-coronavirus-covid-19-column%2F4886082002%2F&text=Coronavirus%3A%20How%20Fox%20News%20and%20other%20right-wing%20media%20endanger%20our%20health&via=usatoday]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2...886082002/
Pence is live to discuss....this should be good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live...9834693619
Quote:A close adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei died Monday of the coronavirus at the age of 71.

Expediency Council member Mohammad Mirmohammadi died at a Tehran hospital, becoming the first top official to succumb to the illness in the Islamic Republic, which has the highest death toll outside China.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/top-advise...ronavirus/

Another country, whose leaders tried to denied the Pandemic.
(03-02-2020, 03:35 PM)GPnative Wrote: Pence is live to discuss....this should be good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live...9834693619

Zero confidence in these knuckleheads.