How are YOU dealing with COVID-19? *No Politics*
(04-06-2020, 07:58 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 07:15 PM)Scrapper Wrote: So, the hubster and I had to make a trip an hour away via I-5 to handle some business for his mother. I had to stop and use a Rest Area restroom... and was very happy that I always carry these in my purse

[Image: d46ccb78a34560cc1457e209113e55ef.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think better off drinking the hand sanitizer before entering rest area rest room
Yeah, but it's got alcohol in it. I'm a social drinker... no socializing = no drinking. Last time I "socialized" was March 6th. By the time my fav bar opens, and I'm able to "socialize" again, I'll be a cheap date!

[Image: 07039f479556eaeae6a237b34be4dcd9.jpg]

(04-06-2020, 07:15 PM)Scrapper Wrote: So, the hubster and I had to make a trip an hour away via I-5 to handle some business for his mother. I had to stop and use a Rest Area restroom... and was very happy that I always carry these in my purse

Ass gaskets. Good idea.
(04-07-2020, 04:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Ass gaskets. Good idea.
I can see where women would need that more than men. 
my mother in law used to carry one of these.
[Image: 3]

I thought it was brilliant, if only Dixie cup could design a disposable one.
They'd make a fortune.
(03-26-2020, 06:40 PM)GCG Wrote: For me and mine...

I was already working from home so that is unchanged. I was also going to the gym every day. Other than that I was travelling to southern Cal often and I recently bought a ski-boat that I planned on using with wife and kids this summer.

Now there is no going to the gym but my youngest has been laid off... so she and I go hiking on the trails around Jackson Co. every day. I feel better after hiking than I ever did after the gym so this is a good thing. 

Going south to stay with the folks was never fun... so now I have an excuse to NOT go. Another silver lining.

I'm pretty sure that I will not get to use the boat unless things turn around quickly. But I can sit in it in the driveway and drink margaritas... and save $$$ on gas... so that is not all bad either.

I can wipe my ass for about another 2 weeks before we run out of TP.

It could be worse... it probably will get worse. Hopefully none of us really experiences how bad it can be.
Curious which trails you are hitting, since so many have been closed...or so I hear.
(03-27-2020, 02:17 PM)GPnative Wrote: We are good on TP also, since i saw this coming in january, we added a pack every time we shopped, whatever was on sale, and only a single pack, we are not hoarders. But silently prepped. Silently is not the right word, strategically is more appropriate.
You knew in January that we would go into an unprecedented quarantine?  I never saw or heard anyone talking about that then.
(04-07-2020, 06:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 02:17 PM)GPnative Wrote: We are good on TP also, since i saw this coming in january, we added a pack every time we shopped, whatever was on sale, and only a single pack, we are not hoarders. But silently prepped. Silently is not the right word, strategically is more appropriate.
You knew in January that we would go into an unprecedented quarantine?  I never saw or heard anyone talking about that then.

Paying attention to Wuhan, it was inevitable.
(04-07-2020, 08:00 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 06:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Paying attention to Wuhan, it was inevitable.
I guess so.  I didn't expect Trump to do anything. And he nearly didn't. (oh, sorry.  No politics....but that's my reasoning)
So, I don't get out anyway. Haven't for over a month except for doctor appointments. My daughters' BF has come to stay for now.  Now, he is a professional Chef. And I mean CHEF in every sense of the word.  Very highly skilled chef. Now he's cooking every day.  Here's my problem. I can't handle smells right now. So he starts up these amazing creations and concoctions and the house fills with cooking odors and I CAN'T handle it.  How ironic is that?  It makes me ill.  This recovery is so weird. It's a bit like being pregnant with a very delicate stomach, highly sensitive to tastes, smells and movement.  And so here is this 5-star chef whipping up delicacies and meat, steaks, cutlets, chops, lots of meat which I eat but very rarely  and caramelized onions and garlic and homemade kimchi and fresh fish and I can barely live in my own house.  Very unique problem.
(04-07-2020, 06:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I was already working from home so that is unchanged. I was also going to the gym every day. Other than that I was travelling to southern Cal often and I recently bought a ski-boat that I planned on using with wife and kids this summer.

Now there is no going to the gym but my youngest has been laid off... so she and I go hiking on the trails around Jackson Co. every day. I feel better after hiking than I ever did after the gym so this is a good thing. 

Going south to stay with the folks was never fun... so now I have an excuse to NOT go. Another silver lining.

I'm pretty sure that I will not get to use the boat unless things turn around quickly. But I can sit in it in the driveway and drink margaritas... and save $$$ on gas... so that is not all bad either.

It could be worse... it probably will get worse. Hopefully none of us really experiences how bad it can be.
Curious which trails you are hitting, since so many have been closed...or so I hear.
We've been all over the Forest Park Trails, (Reservoir Rd. Jacksonville). They were still open as of Monday. Also the trails up behind Britt, but those are pretty crowded. We only go there when it's wet outside. We've done several up above Ashland... still open as far as I know. I'll know more later today. Everyone is being careful to step aside when you meet on a trail. FYI, there are ticks everywhere! We take our dog and let him off the leash where allowed, but its almost not worth it. We even spent $50 on a pill but I don't know if its working or not. I think it just keeps them from latching on and then they jump off onto you or something else. Also, the poison oak is starting to come in.

Update: Ashland trails are still open.
(04-07-2020, 08:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, I don't get out anyway. Haven't for over a month except for doctor appointments. My daughters' BF has come to stay for now.  Now, he is a professional Chef. And I mean CHEF in every sense of the word.  Very highly skilled chef. Now he's cooking every day.  Here's my problem. I can't handle smells right now. So he starts up these amazing creations and concoctions and the house fills with cooking odors and I CAN'T handle it.  How ironic is that?  It makes me ill.  This recovery is so weird. It's a bit like being pregnant with a very delicate stomach, highly sensitive to tastes, smells and movement.  And so here is this 5-star chef whipping up delicacies and meat, steaks, cutlets, chops, lots of meat which I eat but very rarely  and caramelized onions and garlic and homemade kimchi and fresh fish and I can barely live in my own house.  Very unique problem.
I have the same issues sometimes. I think It's from my chemo therapy. Believe it or not sometimes when my wife is describing in detail what we are having for dinner later I don't even like that.
A lot of times if I'm drinking beer I will just eat later and reheat my food. During that time the food smell  really bothers me.
I have a shop which is really like another room in the house. Sometimes when my grand kids and their friends are over they come out to my shop with a hot steaming plate of food. It makes me almost barf. I finally had to just tell everyone eat in the house not around me.
It's sad that I'm weird that way.

It's YOUR house you need to get the chef to tone it down or barbecue outside for a while.
(04-08-2020, 07:52 AM)GCG Wrote:

We've been all over the Forest Park Trails, (Reservoir Rd. Jacksonville). They were still open as of Monday. Also the trails up behind Britt, but those are pretty crowded. We only go there when it's wet outside. We've done several up above Ashland... still open as far as I know. I'll know more later today. Everyone is being careful to step aside when you meet on a trail. FYI, there are ticks everywhere! We take our dog and let him off the leash where allowed, but its almost not worth it. We even spent $50 on a pill but I don't know if its working or not. I think it just keeps them from latching on and then they jump off onto you or something else. Also, the poison oak is starting to come in.

Bravecto works great when we use it.
(04-08-2020, 03:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That's what we bought from our vet. It might kill them when they bite and latch on but it is not working as a repellent.
(04-08-2020, 03:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 08:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, I don't get out anyway. Haven't for over a month except for doctor appointments. My daughters' BF has come to stay for now.  Now, he is a professional Chef. And I mean CHEF in every sense of the word.  Very highly skilled chef. Now he's cooking every day.  Here's my problem. I can't handle smells right now. So he starts up these amazing creations and concoctions and the house fills with cooking odors and I CAN'T handle it.  How ironic is that?  It makes me ill.  This recovery is so weird. It's a bit like being pregnant with a very delicate stomach, highly sensitive to tastes, smells and movement.  And so here is this 5-star chef whipping up delicacies and meat, steaks, cutlets, chops, lots of meat which I eat but very rarely  and caramelized onions and garlic and homemade kimchi and fresh fish and I can barely live in my own house.  Very unique problem.
I have the same issues sometimes. I think It's from my chemo therapy. Believe it or not sometimes when my wife is describing in detail what we are having for dinner later I don't even like that.
A lot of times if I'm drinking beer I will just eat later and reheat my food. During that time the food smell  really bothers me.
I have a shop which is really like another room in the house. Sometimes when my grand kids and their friends are over they come out to my shop with a hot steaming plate of food. It makes me almost barf. I finally had to just tell everyone eat in the house not around me.
It's sad that I'm weird that way.

It's YOUR house you need to get the chef to tone it down or barbecue outside for a while.
Well, it makes my daughter happy, and it's her house too. I just try and run the vent and turn on the ceiling fans and open the doors if it's not too cold, but geez!  I hope it passes, it's never been an issue before.  Plus, he is feeding me when I'm able to handle it.  Sometimes they are eating his cooking and I can barely stomach the idea of toast. But it's reassuring to hear I'm not alone. Your wife didn't have such post operative issues?

I like Forest Park.  I'm glad it's open, because I heard J-ville trails were closed? I've never been able to go very deep into the Forest Park, because the roads are often so rough, they bottom out my sedan, so I've only been up to about the first 4 or 5 trail heads...probably less than a couple of miles in.

What's Bravecto? Oh, that's the tick med?  I am not hiking right now, that's for sure.  People  have been coming to take the dog out. Mostly local, but today I know he got to go up to J-ville cemetery.  And my daughter will take him to the old Cedarlks golf course which is becoming a bit wild and barren now.
(04-08-2020, 06:14 PM)GCG Wrote:

That's what we bought from our vet. It might kill them when they bite and latch on but it is not working as a repellent.
 It works good for fleas. I don't take my dogs anywhere this time of year.They crawl all over me and the dogs.

HOW DOES BRAVECTO KILL FLEAS AND TICKS?

After you give your pet BRAVECTO, it quickly reaches tissue fluids just under your dog's or cat's skin. When fleas and ticks feed, they ingest BRAVECTO and die.
(04-09-2020, 01:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 06:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: Curious which trails you are hitting, since so many have been closed...or so I hear.

It works good for fleas. I don't take my dogs anywhere this time of year.They crawl all over me and the dogs.

After you give your pet BRAVECTO, it quickly reaches tissue fluids just under your dog's or cat's skin. When fleas and ticks feed, they ingest BRAVECTO and die.
We went up to Forest Park today and we brushed 10-15 ticks off of our yellow lab during the course of our hike. Then we found a few more when we got home including one that was latched on. I think it's probably true that the one tick would have died. But our dog is in the house a lot. And I can't stand the idea of those critters crawling into our couch or bedding. Maybe we are better off letting them bite the dog so they die.
Little known fact, i have a crazy ability to spot ticks on grass laying in wait for a host to brush by.
(04-09-2020, 02:18 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 07:52 AM)GCG Wrote: We've been all over the Forest Park Trails, (Reservoir Rd. Jacksonville). They were still open as of Monday. Also the trails up behind Britt, but those are pretty crowded. We only go there when it's wet outside. We've done several up above Ashland... still open as far as I know. I'll know more later today. Everyone is being careful to step aside when you meet on a trail. FYI, there are ticks everywhere! We take our dog and let him off the leash where allowed, but its almost not worth it. We even spent $50 on a pill but I don't know if its working or not. I think it just keeps them from latching on and then they jump off onto you or something else. Also, the poison oak is starting to come in.

We went up to Forest Park today and we brushed 10-15 ticks off of our yellow lab during the course of our hike. Then we found a few more when we got home including one that was latched on. I think it's probably true that the one tick would have died. But our dog is in the house a lot. And I can't stand the idea of those critters crawling into our couch or bedding. Maybe we are better off letting them bite the dog so they die.

Last year there were so many tics so often on ME that I got used to it. I don't even get up I just crush them with my finger nails and go back to sleep.

We NEVER had tics until there was a wet land created next door and a pretty big pond was built. I used to not bother to cut the crass until it was really tall because it was pointless to do it over and over. It just drys up and dies anyway.
But now with my tractor and field mower I can cut the grass really fast. I cut most of it yesterday and hopefully it will reduce the tics around my house.
(04-09-2020, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 02:18 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 03:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Bravecto works great when we use it.

Last year there were so many tics so often on ME that I got used to it. I don't even get up I just crush them with my finger nails and go back to sleep.

We NEVER had tics until there was a wet land created next door and a pretty big pond was built. I used to not bother to cut the crass until it was really tall because it was pointless to do it over and over. It just drys up and dies anyway.
But now with my tractor and field mower I can cut the grass really fast. I cut most of it yesterday and hopefully it will reduce the tics around my house.
Maybe YOU should take a Bravecto, too.  Big Grin