How are YOU dealing with COVID-19? *No Politics*
(04-11-2020, 07:46 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 04:59 PM)GPnative Wrote: I went to home depot today, it was absurd. They have a curbside pickup now, thats good, thats what i was doing. But the line of people waiting to get in the store was the total opposite of social distancing. I swear as always in the name of safety they go too far and make a worse situation! hiking trails in the great outdoors are closed, yet cattle lines at stores totally fine. It was zoo, i wont be going back til this crap is over.

Hold on  a minute what do you expect "THEY" to do??  And who exactly ever said "cattle lines at stores are totally fine"???

"They" can't close an essential business. They can close a fucking hiking trail and they do so with good reasons. The whole idea of social distancing can't work when every Tom Dick and Harry stuck at home wants to go hike the same trails.
Also when people leave the home to go hiking how many then have to get gas, to buy things at the store, go to an ATM?

There are SO many people complaining about what our leaders are telling us to do I'm really sick of it. Don't be that guy. You have a legitimate complaint .....TO HOME DEPOT.  They could chalk mark the ground or whatever and make people stay 6 feet apart.

"they" should be self explanatory, Leaders, Governors, public officials, so called experts, public health officers, you name it. THEY are creating the environment that results in stores making stupid social distancing choices. If the "THEY" morons that close outdoor areas applied the same logic to distance people, then people should be turned around out of a stores parking lot until there is room in the store.
Stores are essential to us so comparing closing outdoor areas which requires no more than locking a gate is in no way comparable to trying to make people at stores manage huge crowds.
I agree THEY should I'm not sure THEY have the manpower.
(04-11-2020, 11:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 03:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 11:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 06:12 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hold on  a minute what do you expect "THEY" to do??  And who exactly ever said "cattle lines at stores are totally fine"???

"They" can't close an essential business. They can close a fucking hiking trail and they do so with good reasons. The whole idea of social distancing can't work when every Tom Dick and Harry stuck at home wants to go hike the same trails.
Also when people leave the home to go hiking how many then have to get gas, to buy things at the store, go to an ATM?

There are SO many people complaining about what our leaders are telling us to do I'm really sick of it. Don't be that guy. You have a legitimate complaint .....TO HOME DEPOT.  They could chalk mark the ground or whatever and make people stay 6 feet apart.
I had the same experience at Costco way back when this all started. They were trying to do the right thing by limiting the amount of people in the store. But the result was a line of shoppers all crammed together while standing in line. The truth is... no one really knows what to do. The other truth is... the measures that we are taking seem to be actually working. I just hope that no one tries to say "it's over" too soon.
There's this really yummy cheese I want to buy at Costco, but I know it's just not possible while the apocalypse is going on. Sad
Why can't your 17 year grandson or your son pick it up for you?
Well, he would have to wait in the same ridiculous lines that I hear are stretching to the back of the store....all for a bit of cheese. Ridiculous. My point is, that all this panic buying is keeping people from just a quick stop and go.
Also....should I be exposing him to the dangers of the virus?
 Don't be so sure there actually is a long line based on what people say. The last time I went by there was no line. Anyway no if there was a long line I would not send him either.
But even so odds of a 17 year old dying are extremely low.

Anyway you said "all this panic buying" I wonder who by now hasn't bought what they need? Or if those lines are mostly people trying to buy specific items that are usually sold out?
(04-12-2020, 03:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 11:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 06:12 PM)GCG Wrote: I had the same experience at Costco way back when this all started. They were trying to do the right thing by limiting the amount of people in the store. But the result was a line of shoppers all crammed together while standing in line. The truth is... no one really knows what to do. The other truth is... the measures that we are taking seem to be actually working. I just hope that no one tries to say "it's over" too soon.
There's this really yummy cheese I want to buy at Costco, but I know it's just not possible while the apocalypse is going on. Sad
Well, he would have to wait in the same ridiculous lines that I hear are stretching to the back of the store....all for a bit of cheese. Ridiculous. My point is, that all this panic buying is keeping people from just a quick stop and go.
 Don't be so sure there actually is a long line based on what people say. The last time I went by there was no line. Anyway no if there was a long line I would not send him either.

Anyway you said "all this panic buying" I wonder who by now hasn't bought what they need? Or if those lines are mostly people trying to buy specific items that are usually sold out?
Oh, you mean the last time you went....like today??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, I admit, it's solely based on verbal reports online. Everyone SAYS the lines are nuts and the stores are packed. I really don't know.  I went to BiMart on Saturday it wasn't crowded, but who goes to BiMart?
(04-10-2020, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 04:59 PM)GPnative Wrote: I went to home depot today, it was absurd. They have a curbside pickup now, thats good, thats what i was doing. But the line of people waiting to get in the store was the total opposite of social distancing. I swear as always in the name of safety they go too far and make a worse situation! hiking trails in the great outdoors are closed, yet cattle lines at stores totally fine. It was zoo, i wont be going back til this crap is over.

Hold on  a minute what do you expect "THEY" to do??  And who exactly ever said "cattle lines at stores are totally fine"???

I don't understand your reasoning here. People are way more than 10 feet apart on the hiking trails.  C'mon!  And you were saying you wanted to go fishing the other day...at a popular fishing lake. How is that different. Even before the plague, I would rarely come in close contact with people on a trail.
(04-12-2020, 10:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 11:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: There's this really yummy cheese I want to buy at Costco, but I know it's just not possible while the apocalypse is going on. Sad

Well, I admit, it's solely based on verbal reports online. Everyone SAYS the lines are nuts and the stores are packed. I really don't know.  I went to BiMart on Saturday it wasn't crowded, but who goes to BiMart?
Bimart is my favorite store for the kind of stuff I buy.  but who goes to BiMart? Who doesn't and why not?
I go to BiMart. I love BiMart.  But I don't know lots of people who shop there. I like it because it's not a superstore.  Most people I know are addicted to shopping and love big superstores.
Today I drove by a golf course and noticed people were playing golf. How is that any different from walking a trail?
(04-13-2020, 04:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 10:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 03:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why can't your 17 year grandson or your son pick it up for you?

Bimart is my favorite store for the kind of stuff I buy.  but who goes to BiMart? Who doesn't and why not?

I don't go to Bi-mart. I don't know why... maybe just that I don't normally shop the stores in the area where ours is located.
(04-13-2020, 07:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today I drove by a golf course and noticed people were playing golf. How is that any different from walking a trail?

Different social hierarchy maybe.  Razz
(04-13-2020, 07:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today I drove by a golf course and noticed people were playing golf. How is that any different from walking a trail?
 It all depends. You don't have to walk past someone on a trail and be less than 6 ft. from them.
There are bigger parking lots than trail heads have. The people running the golf course are earning a living but no one was making any money from a trail.
(04-14-2020, 04:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
 It all depends. You don't have to walk past someone on a trail and be less than 6 ft. from them.
There are bigger parking lots than trail heads have. The people running the golf course are earning a living but no one was making any money from a trail.
But it's not about making money....or is it? I haven't seen earning a living being applied to this scenario, because if it was, lots of other things could be open.
Think about all those golfers, each going to the same holes, reaching in and retrieving balls from the same cups...seems about the same to me.  No matter how small the trail heads, there aren't 15 people clustered around the trail head simultaneously.  You walk along, you see someone coming, you step off the path and let them go by...less hazardous than shopping for sure.  And I happened to be at Lozier and W Main today, LOTS of traffic.
(04-14-2020, 07:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
But it's not about making money....or is it? I haven't seen earning a living being applied to this scenario, because if it was, lots of other things could be open.
Think about all those golfers, each going to the same holes, reaching in and retrieving balls from the same cups...seems about the same to me.  No matter how small the trail heads, there aren't 15 people clustered around the trail head simultaneously.  You walk along, you see someone coming, you step off the path and let them go by...less hazardous than shopping for sure.  And I happened to be at Lozier and W Main today, LOTS of traffic.

IMO it should indeed be about making money if keeping your business alive is done with people still social distancing.
Yeah the reaching in to the same hole to retrieve the ball is something I didn't think about. But how is that any different than people all using the same gas nozzles to pump their gas?
I mean other than gas being essential unlike golf.

I can't talk about hiking trails other than what I've read But shutting down hiking trails didn't cost several people their jobs like shutting down golf would do.
Now that I think about it I wonder about the likely hood of getting the virus on the back of your hand (I guess) by retrieving your own ball from the cup.
It's possible they now have people routinely cleaning anything like that people touch? IDK?

You walk along, you see someone coming, you step off the path and let them go by...less hazardous than shopping for sure.

Well that's a bad comparison considering shopping is essential.
As for gas nozzles...
our local Fred Meyer still has gas attendants and they'll help you if you ask, but their main job now is going behind each customer and disinfecting the nozzle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(04-15-2020, 02:08 PM)Scrapper Wrote: As for gas nozzles...
our local Fred Meyer still has gas attendants and they'll help you if you ask, but their main job now is going behind each customer and disconnecting the nozzle.

I think there are several gas stations who will pump gas for you so it's really not an issue.

but their main job now is going behind each customer and disconnecting the nozzle.

Huh?  You mean pulling the nozzle out so the customer doesn't drive off with it still in the tank?
(04-15-2020, 03:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
our local Fred Meyer still has gas attendants and they'll help you if you ask, but their main job now is going behind each customer and disconnecting the nozzle.

I think there are several gas stations who will pump gas for you so it's really not an issue.

but their main job now is going behind each customer and disconnecting the nozzle.

Huh?  You mean pulling the nozzle out so the customer doesn't drive off with it still in the tank?
LOL It's been fixed. They DISINFECT not DISCONNECT the nozzles.

(04-15-2020, 03:30 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 03:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:

LOL It's been fixed. They DISINFECT not DISCONNECT the nozzles.

I just splash a little gas around, that is a pretty good disinfectant
I haven't put any gas in a vehicle in over a month. Have hardly driven anywhere.
(04-15-2020, 07:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: I haven't put any gas in a vehicle in over a month. Have hardly driven anywhere.

Yeah, neither have I. But I want to fill up before the prices start bouncing back up.
(04-15-2020, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:

IMO it should indeed be about making money if keeping your business alive is done with people still social distancing.
Yeah the reaching in to the same hole to retrieve the ball is something I didn't think about. But how is that any different than people all using the same gas nozzles to pump their gas?

I can't talk about hiking trails other than what I've read But shutting down hiking trails didn't cost several people their jobs like shutting down golf would do.
Now that I think about it I wonder about the likely hood of getting the virus on the back of your hand (I guess) by retrieving your own ball from the cup.
It's possible they now have people routinely cleaning anything like that people touch? IDK?

You walk along, you see someone coming, you step off the path and let them go by...less hazardous than shopping for sure.

That's true, but golfing isn't.  Ahem, Mr President.   Anyway, my point is, your chances at effective social distancing are far greater hiking a trail than other activities. It's just ridiculous to close trails in my opinion.
(04-15-2020, 09:02 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That's true, but golfing isn't.  Ahem, Mr President.   Anyway, my point is, your chances at effective social distancing are far greater hiking a trail than other activities. It's just ridiculous to close trails in my opinion.

With all these people not working , you can't just let them start frolicking on the trails. No telling where that would lead.