How are YOU dealing with COVID-19? *No Politics*
(04-17-2020, 08:17 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 07:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 07:33 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 04:52 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today I went to the pharmacy. I rarely go anywhere, but there I was. I had a mask on.  I turned the corner and there was a woman in the aisle. She did not have a mask. She looked at me and backed away. Very obviously backing away. It amused and disconcerted me at the same time. I mean, I'm taking precautions, but, I don't like being treated like a pariah just for being out of my home.  I see no need to back away from people.  Just move by and be on your way. I'm really thinking this thing...I get it and I understand, but I still have questions.  Because has this virus been more virulent than any other flu we've had?  Not counting New York or Los Angeles...I mean is what we are doing the reason? Or is it because it's not any worse than any other flu epidemic we've had in the past? Is it because with H1N1 the death rate in the US was 0.2 % compared to Corvid-19 ?  That's still hasn't really been rated. In some areas it's as high as 3.4% but in others at .4%?    What makes this pandemic so much worse than others? I'm taking precautions and following the recommendations, but I do have questions about this and how it all works.

I would have told her, that because she didn't have a mask she needs to stand further back. I don't want you contaminating me.
And then add how rude of her not to have a mask in public.

I get more and more vocal each day this goes on.
Well, except she was acting like I was contaminated. It's very odd feeling.

Maybe she thought you were like Chuck and was just trying to give you space.
Probably....but it made me feel weird.
(04-17-2020, 09:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 04:52 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today I went to the pharmacy. I rarely go anywhere, but there I was. I had a mask on.  I turned the corner and there was a woman in the aisle. She did not have a mask. She looked at me and backed away. Very obviously backing away. It amused and disconcerted me at the same time. I mean, I'm taking precautions, but, I don't like being treated like a pariah just for being out of my home.  I see no need to back away from people.  Just move by and be on your way. I'm really thinking this thing...I get it and I understand, but I still have questions.  Because has this virus been more virulent than any other flu we've had?  Not counting New York or Los Angeles...I mean is what we are doing the reason? Or is it because it's not any worse than any other flu epidemic we've had in the past? Is it because with H1N1 the death rate in the US was 0.2 % compared to Corvid-19 ?  That's still hasn't really been rated. In some areas it's as high as 3.4% but in others at .4%?    What makes this pandemic so much worse than others? I'm taking precautions and following the recommendations, but I do have questions about this and how it all works.

I would have told her, that because she didn't have a mask she needs to stand further back. I don't want you contaminating me.

Like Chuck,   Laughing  Did you have your underwear on the outside of your pants?
We had date night on the patio... with adult beverages, snacks and Yahtzee! [Image: 9404dff4a5c1534e65ba432f272695f3.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(04-17-2020, 10:04 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We had date night on the patio... with adult beverages, snacks and Yahtzee! [Image: 9404dff4a5c1534e65ba432f272695f3.jpg]

Oh... FYI... a friend gave the hubby 60 of those little bottles for his 60th birthday last November. He's has 1 or 2 every now and then... I think there's about 45 left! LOL

(04-17-2020, 09:26 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 09:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 07:33 PM)chuck white Wrote: I would have told her, that because she didn't have a mask she needs to stand further back. I don't want you contaminating me.

Like Chuck,   Laughing  Did you have your underwear on the outside of your pants?
Twitch Underwear is involved???
[Image: 93705389_4129911800360150_67941628738168...e=5EC02F4D]

Or is it because it's not any worse than any other flu epidemic we've had in the past?
 Ask that question to any doctor or nurse in hospitals in cities where covid has spread. I don't remember any time common flu deaths overwhelmed hospitals. Where bodies stack up so much all the funeral homes can't handle any more.

The reason there are no accurate numbers of the covid death rate is because no one knows how many people had the virus and got over it. There are also deaths from covid from peoples homes that were not reported.
Something else about covid compared to the flu is the long period of time people spend in intensive care on ventilators.
It's also said that it spreads faster or easier than the flu.

Using the cruise ship death rate they calculated 2.6 percent or 1.3 percent.
The common flu death rate is .01%

"One intriguing case study for epidemiologists looking for the true fatality rate is the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which became a kind of natural experiment when nearly all of its 3,711 passengers and crew members were tested for the coronavirus after an outbreak on board.
The ship’s “case fatality rate,” which included only those who showed symptoms, was 2.6 percent, according to a study by researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, while the “infection fatality rate,” which included those who tested positive yet remained asymptomatic, was 1.3 percent. (A cruise ship, in which people are in a confined space, is not representative of the more dynamic situation in cities). The known number of coronavirus cases worldwide is about two million, and at least 127,000 of those patients have died. The United States has an estimated 600,000 reported cases and more than 25,000 deaths, the most in the world. But many people infected with the virus have no symptoms, or only mild ones, and appear in no official tally."
(04-17-2020, 10:10 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 08:18 AM)GCG Wrote: My daughter and I continue to hike every day. We usually go up to Forest Park and pick a trail that we haven't been on. The last few days it has been getting very crowded in the lower parking areas so we drive further up into the park before we set out. We have been sticking to the more difficult trails but we still meet others here and there. On a typical 1-2 hour hike we'll usually meet 3 or 4 hikers. Sometimes it's not easy to step very far aside but we do our best. The poison oak is starting to come in and its getting warmer, so we will soon start looking for trails at higher elevations. We'll stop if they close the trails but it seems unlikely that they will be doing much more of that. Only very few are closed that we know of.
So, where I live, the street and neighborhood I live on is a walking neighborhood.  By that I mean, people go out on constitutionals daily.  If I go hang out in my front yard, on a day like today, at least 10 people will walk by within a half an hour, walking dogs, babies, children, walking with spouses, and occasionally, just commuting somewhere.  So, over the course of a day there may be close to 100 people walking up and down my street.  Now to me, that's about the same as a BUSY trail, because usually in the course of a walk on a trail on a nice day, I wouldn't normally see 10 people.  Sometimes, but not usually.  Now, no one steps off the sidewalk when they see someone coming towards them....they just pass each other politely.  So, that's my point. We are told we can walk and exercise outdoors, even encouraged to if maintains social distancing, yet trails and ramps are closed. It's just silly.  It's literally the same thing. Yet golf is kept open. Parks are open. (I understand not using playground equipment).  So, it starts to feel rather arbitrary and indeed, like propaganda.  I certainly see a LOT more people in cars, going who knows where??  I also feel like the isolation creates a need in some people to go shopping just to go out and do something legal that feels satisfying. I feel like the crackdown on recreational places was too hasty and when things feel contrived, you start to get people who just blow it off and don't bother to try and maintain social distancing because they think it's a joke anyway.  I do notice teenagers pay no attention to social distancing at all.  I stopped at a park this week to let the dog walk around and it had been converged upon by teenagers, who were sitting together on their cars, in the sun, blasting music, smoking pot and e-cigs and generally socializing.  And other people were there also, people like me, walking their dog, or baby, or just sitting in the sunshine, so this one small park had like 50 people in it. No one was using the playground. Now that's a lot of people in one small park.
"Now to me, that's about the same as a BUSY trail,"

Unlike people walking in your neighborhood people DRIVE to trail heads. On the way there they are likely stopping to get gas to buy food and drinks to go to an ATM.. whatever.
The fact that we are advised to shelter in place and people get cabin fever is why want so many want to go hiking.
And like GCG said....." The last few days it has been getting very crowded in the lower parking areas"

My guess is she was not thinking you were contaminated but instead thought you were very SERIOUS about the virus and figured you would want the space. I don't think she was treating like a pariah. I think she was feeling like SHE was the pariah.   Maybe anyway Big Grin BTW I would have laughed.
[Image: 93621370_3126637334049187_51717866819545...e=5EC00217]
(04-18-2020, 02:09 PM)Scrapper Wrote: [Image: 93621370_3126637334049187_51717866819545...e=5EC00217]
Meh, we have a memes thread....
[Image: b1da6e785cc5eff508f123c9119dab77.jpg]

Did a curbside pickup at home depot at 6:30 this morning, the worker who brought to my car wore a mask, i appreciated that. While it was not busy at that hour there was more people there than i expected. Saw no one in a mask coming or going, this shouldnt surprise me, but it does.
(04-28-2020, 07:34 PM)GPnative Wrote: Did a curbside pickup at home depot at 6:30 this morning, the worker who brought to my car wore a mask, i appreciated that. While it was not busy at that hour there was more people there than i expected. Saw no one in a mask coming or going, this shouldnt surprise me, but it does.
The leader of our country doesn't think he will ever wear a mask. He decided to point that out while he told us of how our experts recommend we should.

BTW I was not aware HD did curbside pickup. I wonder is Lowe's does.
"The leader of our country doesn't think he will ever wear a mask. He decided to point that out while he told us of how our experts recommend we should."

Hell, Pence refused to wear one while touring the Mayo Clinic! Dumb fucks!

(04-28-2020, 09:39 PM)Scrapper Wrote: "The leader of our country doesn't think he will ever wear a mask. He decided to point that out while he told us of how our experts recommend we should."

You fell into the same trap I did! Talking about politics in the no politics thread!! Laughing Laughing
(04-28-2020, 07:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 07:34 PM)GPnative Wrote: Did a curbside pickup at home depot at 6:30 this morning, the worker who brought to my car wore a mask, i appreciated that. While it was not busy at that hour there was more people there than i expected. Saw no one in a mask coming or going, this shouldnt surprise me, but it does.
The leader of our country doesn't think he will ever wear a mask. He decided to point that out while he told us of how our experts recommend we should.

Hmm....I want to get some garden soil. In my current condition I can't lift the big bags...if they would put it in the car....hmmmm!!!  (I'd have to get someone to get it out)
(04-28-2020, 10:12 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 09:39 PM)Scrapper Wrote: "The leader of our country doesn't think he will ever wear a mask. He decided to point that out while he told us of how our experts recommend we should."

You fell into the same trap I did! Talking about politics in the no politics thread!! Laughing Laughing

That isn't political. It's about being egocentric people. Humanity during a pandemic. Where the hell is it?
(04-28-2020, 10:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Hmm....I want to get some garden soil. In my current condition I can't lift the big bags...if they would put it in the car....hmmmm!!!  (I'd have to get someone to get it out)
A couple weeks back I got them to do a curbside small fridge pick up, LOL. That was definitely the first appliance they delivered curbside and I don't think it is something they would normally do, but I said the email confirmation said I could do curbside, so bring it out or cancel the order. They brought it out Smiling
The bigger limitation would be if the soil is available for purchase on their website. That's how the pick up works, has to be something you can order online.

Don't know about Lowes, and don't know if it's all HD's, but the one in GP is doing it. Normally they have orders ready quick, the fridge I did was ready within the hour, but the order this week took over 24 hours before it was ready for pick up, so they must be busy busy.
They have dedicated parking spots out in the lot, call the # on the sign, tell them u are there for pickup, give order # and they bring it out. It's that easy.