Medford/Ashland fires
(09-11-2020, 07:46 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: NO ONE was in charge.  Someone should have been on TV giving out all the info there was as well as trying to answer questions.
And i don't mean out local news people.

And now, the media is having a virtual orgy of reporting. Picking over the bones.  Where WERE they when this was going down?? They were eerily quiet, even into the late evening...nothing new was reported.  Knowing where you (meaning me) was at with the evactuation was a crap shoot.

Yes but what I'm saying is it's not really the medias job to inform us about everything. That should be someones job in emergency management.
It's funny that we have been told over and over what WE need to do as far as being prepared. And now when something happens we have been warned about or government dropped the ball.
(09-12-2020, 10:08 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: NO ONE was in charge.  Someone should have been on TV giving out all the info there was as well as trying to answer questions.

And now, the media is having a virtual orgy of reporting. Picking over the bones.  Where WERE they when this was going down?? They were eerily quiet, even into the late evening...nothing new was reported.  Knowing where you (meaning me) was at with the evactuation was a crap shoot.

Yes but what I'm saying is it's not really the medias job to inform us about everything. That should be someones job in emergency management.
It's funny that we have been told over and over what WE need to do as far as being prepared. And now when something happens we have been warned about or government dropped the ball.

I think it's "emergency management's" job in this case to source the information, as you say. But media (news programs) claim they inform/report "news" so they should be doing a much better job then they have been lately.

I just finally heard on the news last night that the Almeda fire is still burning. I've been listening for that for two days and they hadn't said a word.

I agree completely on your last point.

As a last point, I realize we have a lot going on locally but in my search for information on Medford's fire situation I discovered all the other Oregon/PNW fires happening simultaneously that weren't mentioned on the news either. Actually, the national outlets were more helpful then the locals, and they were pretty thin on their reporting as usual too.
(09-12-2020, 11:23 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

I think it's "emergency management's" job in this case to source the information, as you say. But media (news programs) claim they inform/report "news" so they should be doing a much better job then they have been lately.

I just finally heard on the news last night that the Almeda fire is still burning. I've been listening for that for two days and they hadn't said a word.

As a last point, I realize we have a lot going on locally but in my search for information on Medford's fire situation I discovered all the other Oregon/PNW fires happening simultaneously that weren't mentioned on the news either. Actually, the national outlets were more helpful then the locals, and they were pretty thin on their reporting as usual too.

"I just finally heard on the news last night that the Almeda fire is still burning"

I think it's just that things are still smoldering.
(09-12-2020, 11:44 AM)tvguy Wrote:

"I just finally heard on the news last night that the Almeda fire is still burning"

That's what I was guessing but they said it was only 50% contained, so that confused me some. You could still be right though.
I'm not even in the area of any of the fires... not close to needing to be prepared to evacuate... but we still receive emergency notifications on the television, by email, text and phone recordings... ALL. OF. THEM. Doesn't southern Oregon have an emergency system in place? Do people just not pay attention?
(09-12-2020, 01:41 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not even in the area of any of the fires... not close to needing to be prepared to evacuate... but we still receive emergency notifications on the television, by email, text and phone recordings... ALL. OF. THEM. Doesn't southern Oregon have an emergency system in place? Do people just not pay attention?

I saw evacuation notices but that's about all for the first few days. That and a lot of "woe is me" reporting where they show a structure burned to the ground but not where the fire is, where it's headed, the size of the active fire, you know, important stuff.
There have been 2 fires fairly close to our home. Both were relatively small. Tuesday night there was a fire between the airport and I-5 and Wednesday night another fire where the Greenway, I-5 and Table Rock meet. On both occasions the evacuation orders were too widespread and chaotic. In some cases, people were evacuating in BOTH directions on the same road! Why evacuate ALL of Central Point when only the areas near the Greenway were in any danger? All that does is make it harder for those that are in real danger. I know... its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. That said, maybe they will come up with a plan for future evacuations that doesn't look like an episode of Keystone Cops. Also, I don't want to overlook how quickly and efficiently the copters and air tankers handled those 2 small fires. It was very impressive.
(09-12-2020, 04:04 PM)GCG Wrote: There have been 2 fires fairly close to our home. Both were relatively small. Tuesday night there was a fire between the airport and I-5 and Wednesday night another fire where the Greenway, I-5 and Table Rock meet. On both occasions the evacuation orders were too widespread and chaotic. In some cases, people were evacuating in BOTH directions on the same road! Why evacuate ALL of Central Point when only the areas near the Greenway were in any danger? All that does is make it harder for those that are in real danger. I know... its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. That said, maybe they will come up with a plan for future evacuations that doesn't look like an episode of Keystone Cops. Also, I don't want to overlook how quickly and efficiently the copters and air tankers handled those 2 small fires. It was very impressive.

I think it's obvious they err on the side of caution. Especially when the wind is kicking up like it was the first two days it can push burning embers a surprisingly long way, so I can't blame them.

I absolutely agree the air crews are impressive to watch when they're hitting a fire hard. It's kind'a like a dance with the choppers, the tankers and the spotter. The ground crews aren't as much fun to watch but they really know their business too.
(09-12-2020, 01:41 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not even in the area of any of the fires... not close to needing to be prepared to evacuate... but we still receive emergency notifications on the television, by email, text and phone recordings... ALL. OF. THEM. Doesn't southern Oregon have an emergency system in place? Do people just not pay attention?

It's weird because the EAS that interrupts television and radio doesn't seem to be working.
(09-12-2020, 12:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 07:46 PM)Juniper Wrote: And now, the media is having a virtual orgy of reporting. Picking over the bones.  Where WERE they when this was going down?? They were eerily quiet, even into the late evening...nothing new was reported.  Knowing where you (meaning me) was at with the evactuation was a crap shoot.

That's what I was guessing but they said it was only 50% contained, so that confused me some. You could still be right though.

Earlier today they went back to saying it's zero percent contained, but yes, it really isn't a burning conflagration anymore.

I disagree with you there.  I think it IS the media's job because in times of emergency they are a public service.  They are essential.  At any rate, for someone who didn't have internet or television, it was a complete failure.  Though at some point all you had to do if you were in Medford was look at the enormous wall of smoke that was towering in the sky and getting closer to know something was dead wrong.
(09-12-2020, 10:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

It's weird because the EAS that interrupts television and radio doesn't seem to be working.
It has been working where I live... at least twice a day lately.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(09-12-2020, 12:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 07:46 PM)Juniper Wrote: And now, the media is having a virtual orgy of reporting. Picking over the bones.  Where WERE they when this was going down?? They were eerily quiet, even into the late evening...nothing new was reported.  Knowing where you (meaning me) was at with the evactuation was a crap shoot.

It's the definition of "contained" that is confusing. I've see enough video from the ground and air to know nothing is actually burning.
(09-12-2020, 10:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I disagree with you there.  I think it IS the media's job because in times of emergency they are a public service.  They are essential.  At any rate, for someone who didn't have internet or television, it was a complete failure.  Though at some point all you had to do if you were in Medford was look at the enormous wall of smoke that was towering in the sky and getting closer to know something was dead wrong.
I don't see how you can expect a civilian entity that is basically out to make a buck be in charge during catastrophes like this. They have fucking kids working for them with cell phones Laughing Laughing
They simply are not capable that was blatantly obvious. The info and the warnings need to come from a military type perceptive. You know chain of command with someone at the top directing, ordering people under their command to find and report critical information.
Just like they do with a command station out in the forest with a top dog fireman in charge. And that should be on a TV station 24 hours a day.
(09-13-2020, 06:47 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 10:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

It has been working where I live... at least twice a day lately.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't heard anything on the TV or my phone.
Does anyone else wonder about the fact that most of the "homes" that were lost were mobile or manufactured homes?

Think of the logic. Everyone knows that mobile homes burn super fast and super hot. So why did we ever think it was a good idea to put hundreds of them together just 20 feet apart?
Good morning all,
 The news media in general has become lazy in simply reading a government press release . No news release no story. They don't even ask relevant questions .  

As to emergency management, they had their asses handed to them. For all that was going on they did very well. The slow progression of traffic from talent to phoenix ( 30- 40 min) did hamper some of the process.

I was in the area yesterday, Along Talent Ave there was a couple walking down the side walk, they were carrying what looked like the banned plastic bags. Any normal day you would have guessed they had picked up after their dog ( no dog seen)  I could tell from the expression of shock ,grief etc. what they were carrying in those two small bags is all that remained of their previous lives.
(09-13-2020, 08:57 AM)tvguy Wrote: Does anyone else wonder about the fact that most of the "homes" that were lost were mobile or manufactured homes?

Think of the logic. Everyone knows that mobile homes burn super fast and super hot. So why did we ever think it was a good idea to put hundreds of them together just 20 feet apart?

Yep, Many of those people were low income. Having done service work in many of those parks that was all they had. a 1972 pos park model mobile. But it was their home. Right or wrong it was what they had worked their entire lives for. Now it is a pile of twisted metal, toxic crap and ash.
If i get a chance i will try and find exact quote and her actual title, but she is person in charge of some portion of Josephine county emergency management, and of course they also had their ass handed to them on Slater fire, their excuse was they were closely paying attention to Jackson county fires. Furthermore she had gall to say something along the lines of you dont need us to tell you to evacuate if you feel you are in danger take personal responsibility and evacuate. I agree with this sentiment, however, they sure never have enough money and aways a balooning budget, throughout year they speak of how necessary they are, etc and then in their moment of greatest need to the public you get Barney Fife telling you to take personal responsibilty! And certainly some older home bound people sure as hell do need and rely on them for immediate info.
(09-13-2020, 09:10 AM)oregon 67 Wrote: Good morning all,
 The news media in general has become lazy in simply reading a government press release . No news release no story. They don't even ask relevant questions .  

As to emergency management, they had their asses handed to them. For all that was going on they did very well. The slow progression of traffic from talent to phoenix ( 30- 40 min) did hamper some of the process.

I was in the area yesterday, Along Talent Ave there was a couple walking down the side walk, they were carrying what looked like the banned plastic bags. Any normal day you would have guessed they had picked up after their dog ( no dog seen)  I could tell from the expression of shock ,grief etc. what they were carrying in those two small bags is all that remained of their previous lives.

As to emergency management, they had their asses handed to them. For all that was going on they did very well.

For all that was going on?? What was going on is exactly what they are supposed to be prepared for.
 People didn't even get an emergency warning on their phones or TV's.
If it wasn't for Facebook I think there would be hundreds of dead people. That's where I got ALL my info. That's where I learned that they were evacuating the mobile home park where my brother lived that burned to the ground.
He had just bought it. It was a manufactured home, very nice all new stainless appliances and even the AC and furnace.
He is insured. He has money.He lost his wife a year ago. Now He lost everything that she had that I know he cherished.
He is still up on a fire driving a water tender truck . At 83 years old.