Medford/Ashland fires
(09-13-2020, 08:57 AM)tvguy Wrote: Does anyone else wonder about the fact that most of the "homes" that were lost were mobile or manufactured homes?

Think of the logic. Everyone knows that mobile homes burn super fast and super hot. So why did we ever think it was a good idea to put hundreds of them together just 20 feet apart?

Because lots of people don't like them or want to look at them.  They have to go somewhere. Mobile homes are a reasonably priced option for a lot of people. What's sad is that so many of them are older and more infirm.
(09-13-2020, 09:53 AM)GPnative Wrote: If i get a chance i will try and find exact quote and her actual title, but she is person in charge of some portion of Josephine county emergency management, and of course they also had their ass handed to them on Slater fire, their excuse was they were closely paying attention to Jackson county fires. Furthermore she had gall to say something along the lines of you dont need us to tell you to evacuate if you feel you are in danger take personal responsibility and evacuate. I agree with this sentiment, however, they sure never have enough money and aways a balooning budget, throughout year they speak of how necessary they are, etc and then in their moment of greatest need to the public you get Barney Fife telling you to take personal responsibilty! And certainly some older home bound people sure as hell do need and rely on them for immediate info.

We haven't had the level of destruction here in joke co , that was brought on the Alameda fire area. I listened to some yap Friday about not wanting to cause unnecessary panic in the masses.
Want to stop the sheep from running, be a good shepherd. Give the people accurate timely information. Always.
Reading various FB posts you will see updates, with wording of "what we can share" . What exactly are they not telling people? Or do they simply not know and are taking educated guesses as to what might happen? We have left to much to the "professionals" and not looked around to see what is going to affect us. Some personal responsibility is required but people do panic went stuff is sprung on them with little follow up information.

With all the current fires there is not very many resources left . If it gets above the initial attack capabilities we are screwed . There will be no knights on shiny trucks to help the masses. And in actuality the government has no responsibility to protect us.
(09-13-2020, 08:51 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 06:47 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 10:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 01:41 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not even in the area of any of the fires... not close to needing to be prepared to evacuate... but we still receive emergency notifications on the television, by email, text and phone recordings... ALL. OF. THEM. Doesn't southern Oregon have an emergency system in place? Do people just not pay attention?

It's weird because the EAS that interrupts television and radio doesn't seem to be working.
It has been working where I live... at least twice a day lately.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't heard anything on the TV or my phone.

I have been getting alerts by text or email from Jackson County Sheriff, but NOT when the fire was 3 miles away.  I heard nothing then.  The news was barely covering it.  I was learning more from FB than elsewhere.  And you contacted me. What if I hadn't been on FB that day?  What if I hadn't been outside yet?  That contact might have been the only thing that alerted me.
(09-13-2020, 10:23 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 08:57 AM)tvguy Wrote: Does anyone else wonder about the fact that most of the "homes" that were lost were mobile or manufactured homes?

Think of the logic. Everyone knows that mobile homes burn super fast and super hot. So why did we ever think it was a good idea to put hundreds of them together just 20 feet apart?

Because lots of people don't like them or want to look at them.  They have to go somewhere. Mobile homes are a reasonably priced option for a lot of people. What's sad is that so many of them are older and more infirm.

Yes I totally get all that .But I'm just saying it was a bad Idea in the first place to have them all so close together and NOW it's a horrible idea. I know they fill a need.
(09-13-2020, 10:25 AM)oregon 67 Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 09:53 AM)GPnative Wrote: If i get a chance i will try and find exact quote and her actual title, but she is person in charge of some portion of Josephine county emergency management, and of course they also had their ass handed to them on Slater fire, their excuse was they were closely paying attention to Jackson county fires. Furthermore she had gall to say something along the lines of you dont need us to tell you to evacuate if you feel you are in danger take personal responsibility and evacuate. I agree with this sentiment, however, they sure never have enough money and aways a balooning budget, throughout year they speak of how necessary they are, etc and then in their moment of greatest need to the public you get Barney Fife telling you to take personal responsibilty! And certainly some older home bound people sure as hell do need and rely on them for immediate info.

We haven't had the level of destruction here in joke co , that was brought on the Alameda fire area. I listened to some yap Friday about not wanting to cause unnecessary panic in the masses.
Want to stop the sheep from running, be a good shepherd. Give the people accurate timely information. Always.
Reading various FB posts you will see updates, with wording of "what we can share" . What exactly are they not telling people? Or do they simply not know and are taking educated guesses as to what might happen? We have left to much to the "professionals" and not looked around to see what is going to affect us. Some personal responsibility is required but people do panic went stuff is sprung on them with little follow up information.

With all the current fires there is not very many resources left . If it gets above the initial attack capabilities we are screwed . There will be no knights on shiny trucks to help the masses. And in actuality the government has no responsibility to protect us.

"I listened to some yap Friday about not wanting to cause unnecessary panic in the masses.

Want to stop the sheep from running, be a good shepherd. Give the people accurate timely information. Always."

Yep I saw that too and right before they said there was an antifa arsonist behind every tree.

And in actuality the government has no responsibility to protect us.

Really? So the police and the fire department are not here to protect us? Emergency management is not here to mange us in an emergency?
(09-13-2020, 10:29 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 08:51 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 06:47 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 10:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 01:41 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not even in the area of any of the fires... not close to needing to be prepared to evacuate... but we still receive emergency notifications on the television, by email, text and phone recordings... ALL. OF. THEM. Doesn't southern Oregon have an emergency system in place? Do people just not pay attention?

It's weird because the EAS that interrupts television and radio doesn't seem to be working.
It has been working where I live... at least twice a day lately.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't heard anything on the TV or my phone.

I have been getting alerts by text or email from Jackson County Sheriff, but NOT when the fire was 3 miles away.  I heard nothing then.  The news was barely covering it.  I was learning more from FB than elsewhere.  And you contacted me. What if I hadn't been on FB that day?  What if I hadn't been outside yet?  That contact might have been the only thing that alerted me.
Me? Aw shucks   Embarrassed
The Slater fire was/is a serious matter, of course not as much so as an immediate urban interface fire, but entire small communities remain in danger, and with the wind in play that night, it was a VERY serious matter. It could easily have ended up very differently.

Here is the blurb I was referencing before. Around 1:30 AM people were warned to be ready at a moments notice, there was no more info until 9am when Takilma and areas North of Obrien were ordered evacuated. I don't know why it formats weird when I copy/paste from that site, but it does and im not taking the time to fix it.

Sara Rubrecht, JosephineCounty's emergency manager,said it was at a 7 a.m. Wednes-day meeting with fire chiefsthat she learned that fire wasover the crest of mountains thatstraddle the Oregon-Californiaborder. She said she wasunaware of the Slater Fire’srapid spread, in part becauseshe and others were paying somuch attention to events inJackson County, where Phoenixand Talent were partlydestroyed by wind-drivenflames from the Almeda Fire.Resources from JosephineCounty were aiding efforts inJackson County. Also, the SlaterFire moved quickly, fanned byhigh winds. In addition, no fire-fighting resources actually wereworking the Slater Fire, whichRubrecht referred to as “anunstaffed fire.” It’s now grownto 140,802 acres, and has atleast 240 firefighters working it.“On Tuesday, everythingaround Josephine County wason fire,” Rubrecht said. “Every-body’s attention was on Jack-son County and Douglas Countyand northern Oregon. We weretrying to pay attention to thegreatest need. Right then, thegreatest need was the peoplewho were coming to us [fromJackson County] with theirhomes on fire.”It shows, Rubrecht said, thatpeople should flee if they feel indanger.“You don’t have to wait forus to tell you to go,” she said.“Please, if you’re uncomfort-able, don't wait for us. We haveset expectations for informationso high. The public has to havesome self-responsibility

when Jack-son County’s fires became criti-cal, Josephine County’s main emergency communications venues were silent about theSlater Fire, which also wasgrowing rapidly.
(09-13-2020, 11:22 AM)GPnative Wrote: The Slater fire was/is a serious matter, of course not as much so as an immediate urban interface fire, but entire small communities remain in danger, and with the wind in play that night, it was a VERY serious matter. It could easily have ended up very differently.

Here is the blurb I was referencing before. Around 1:30 AM people were warned to be ready at a moments notice, there was no more info until 9am when Takilma and areas North of Obrien were ordered evacuated. I don't know why it formats weird when I copy/paste from that site, but it does and im not taking the time to fix it.

Sara Rubrecht, JosephineCounty's emergency manager,said it was at a 7 a.m. Wednes-day meeting with fire chiefsthat she learned that fire wasover the crest of mountains thatstraddle the Oregon-Californiaborder. She said she wasunaware of the Slater Fire’srapid spread, in part becauseshe and others were paying somuch attention to events inJackson County, where Phoenixand Talent were partlydestroyed by wind-drivenflames from the Almeda Fire.Resources from JosephineCounty were aiding efforts inJackson County. Also, the SlaterFire moved quickly, fanned byhigh winds. In addition, no fire-fighting resources actually wereworking the Slater Fire, whichRubrecht referred to as “anunstaffed fire.” It’s now grownto 140,802 acres, and has atleast 240 firefighters working it.“On Tuesday, everythingaround Josephine County wason fire,” Rubrecht said. “Every-body’s attention was on Jack-son County and Douglas Countyand northern Oregon. We weretrying to pay attention to thegreatest need. Right then, thegreatest need was the peoplewho were coming to us [fromJackson County] with theirhomes on fire.”It shows, Rubrecht said, thatpeople should flee if they feel indanger.“You don’t have to wait forus to tell you to go,” she said.“Please, if you’re uncomfort-able, don't wait for us. We haveset expectations for informationso high. The public has to havesome self-responsibility

when Jack-son County’s fires became criti-cal, Josephine County’s main emergency communications venues were silent about theSlater Fire, which also wasgrowing rapidly.

Was the expectation  really that high?  Wasn't it just a reasonable expectation? But, now that we know, we should be learning to be pro active in keeping informed.  Sheesh!
Was anyone on here, ready to bug out? I was...I was packed and ready, everything lined up near the door. I've put some of the things back where they go, but they are close at hand...We're back on evac 1 again.
(09-13-2020, 12:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: Was anyone on here, ready to bug out?  I was...I was packed and ready, everything lined up near the door.  I've put some of the things back where they go, but they are close at hand...We're back on evac 1 again.

I didn't think the fire could get to me so no I didn't do anything. I did however decide that because of all the drought Yesterday I would get rid of the dead leaves that the wind had piled all around my house.
I didn't know if I could get my gasoline leaf blower running. So when I did I just took off and worked for almost two hours. With no mask Rolling Eyes I'm a dumbass.

If I really was worried I would pack one of my travel trailers full and have it ready to go. Where I have no clue. And I have two cars a truck and a new tractor so I just don't know.
The fire started across the street from me and in 30 minutes to an hour it was already destroying Talent.
It moved at 35+ mph.
I’ve had more warnings for tornadoes.
(09-13-2020, 12:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: Was anyone on here, ready to bug out?  I was...I was packed and ready, everything lined up near the door.  I've put some of the things back where they go, but they are close at hand...We're back on evac 1 again.

Left on Level 3 on Tuesday, and won't be able to return home for two weeks until power is restored. So, yeah.
(09-13-2020, 01:59 PM)bbqboy Wrote: The fire started across the street from me and in 30 minutes to an hour it was already destroying Talent.
It moved at 35+ mph.
I've wondered how fast it traveled. So far until know I didn't know.
(09-13-2020, 01:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I didn't think the fire could get to me so no I didn't do anything. I did however decide that because of all the drought Yesterday I would get rid of the dead leaves that the wind had piled all around my house.
I didn't know if I could get my gasoline leaf blower running. So when I did I just took off and worked for almost two hours. With no mask Rolling Eyes I'm a dumbass.

If I really was worried I would pack one of my travel trailers full and have it ready to go. Where I have no clue. And I have two cars a truck and a new tractor so I just don't know.

The fires were moving away from me but I got some things ready anyway. All it would take is a shift in wind direction or another fire "helper" starting another one to change my situation to "oh shit!".
(09-13-2020, 02:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 01:59 PM)bbqboy Wrote: The fire started across the street from me and in 30 minutes to an hour it was already destroying Talent.
It moved at 35+ mph.

It could travel as fast as the wind was blowing.
(09-13-2020, 03:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 02:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
It moved at 35+ mph.

It could travel as fast as the wind was blowing.

That was faster than people could run or get out. 
I think the death toll is a lot higher than they have confirmed.

[Image: 119121660_3267707099978504_4964547672444...e=5F856D50]
It moved at 35+ mph.

Exactly. I got an EAS in the car during a downpour.  Sheesh!  Your post about the fire was the FIRST post I saw about fire on FB.  That was my first idea that anything was amiss.
(09-13-2020, 03:50 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Sign up for emergency alerts!

[Image: 119121660_3267707099978504_4964547672444...e=5F856D50]

I already was.  For all the good it did me.  This is what I'm talking about. We think the system is going to warn us and it didn't.
(09-13-2020, 02:12 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Left on Level 3 on Tuesday, and won't be able to return home for two weeks until power is restored. So, yeah.

I find it interesting that not one care was given.

Noted. I get it.