Medford/Ashland fires
(09-15-2020, 06:48 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 02:12 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 12:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: Was anyone on here, ready to bug out?  I was...I was packed and ready, everything lined up near the door.  I've put some of the things back where they go, but they are close at hand...We're back on evac 1 again.

Left on Level 3 on Tuesday, and won't be able to return home for two weeks until power is restored. So, yeah.

I find it interesting that not one care was given.

Noted. I get it.

I missed it.
But I am certainly happy, as I'm sure you are, that you have a home to return to.
Today they had a press conference that confirmed that EAS was never given and the JaCo Sheriff alert was inconsistent.  At least we know it's being addressed.  The reporters said the interview was tense.   Probably meaning defensive.  Sheriff Sickler, who I like, doesn't feel that this is the time to address this since the emergency isn't over. That there is time after big events to assess and review what went well and what went wrong, and pointed out that law enforcement went into burning buildings to save people.  And that is the 'best kind of evacuation'.  I think I disagree with him on that point.  I do agree that there should be a time for a thorough investigation into this.  Apparently the same thing happened in Paradise.  What did we learn?  I can't agree that being pulled out of your burning home with no time to gather things and pets is the 'best' evacuation.  Nor do I believe that we should not be at least be putting a contingency plan into effect.  The State is burning.  I don't think we have time for a cozy chat up at a more convenient time.  It's unlikely, but it's possible another event could occur, and having at least a solid plan for how to notify citizens should be looked at.  I saw someone on Facebook suggest we have old fashioned air raid sirens for small towns like these. Sounds like at least it would have alerted people there was an urgent emergency.
(09-16-2020, 09:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today they had a press conference that confirmed that EAS was never given and the JaCo Sheriff alert was inconsistent.  At least we know it's being addressed.  The reporters said the interview was tense.   Probably meaning defensive.  Sheriff Sickler, who I like, doesn't feel that this is the time to address this since the emergency isn't over. That there is time after big events to assess and review what went well and what went wrong, and pointed out that law enforcement went into burning buildings to save people.  And that is the 'best kind of evacuation'.  I think I disagree with him on that point.  I do agree that there should be a time for a thorough investigation into this.  Apparently the same thing happened in Paradise.  What did we learn?  I can't agree that being pulled out of your burning home with no time to gather things and pets is the 'best' evacuation.  Nor do I believe that we should not be at least be putting a contingency plan into effect.  The State is burning.  I don't think we have time for a cozy chat up at a more convenient time.  It's unlikely, but it's possible another event could occur, and having at least a solid plan for how to notify citizens should be looked at.  I saw someone on Facebook suggest we have old fashioned air raid sirens for small towns like these. Sounds like at least it would have alerted people there was an urgent emergency.

I saw a small snip of that press conference on the news. He seemed very defensive, and kicking the can down the road for a future discussion is the sign of someone trying to come up with reasons why the shit failed so miserably in order to save face.
(09-17-2020, 06:47 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 09:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today they had a press conference that confirmed that EAS was never given and the JaCo Sheriff alert was inconsistent.  At least we know it's being addressed.  The reporters said the interview was tense.   Probably meaning defensive.  Sheriff Sickler, who I like, doesn't feel that this is the time to address this since the emergency isn't over. That there is time after big events to assess and review what went well and what went wrong, and pointed out that law enforcement went into burning buildings to save people.  And that is the 'best kind of evacuation'.  I think I disagree with him on that point.  I do agree that there should be a time for a thorough investigation into this.  Apparently the same thing happened in Paradise.  What did we learn?  I can't agree that being pulled out of your burning home with no time to gather things and pets is the 'best' evacuation.  Nor do I believe that we should not be at least be putting a contingency plan into effect.  The State is burning.  I don't think we have time for a cozy chat up at a more convenient time.  It's unlikely, but it's possible another event could occur, and having at least a solid plan for how to notify citizens should be looked at.  I saw someone on Facebook suggest we have old fashioned air raid sirens for small towns like these. Sounds like at least it would have alerted people there was an urgent emergency.

I saw a small snip of that press conference on the news. He seemed very defensive, and kicking the can down the road for a future discussion is the sign of someone trying to come up with reasons why the shit failed so miserably in order to save face.

Save face? That implies the sheriff did something wrong. I don't think the fact that there were no  EAS warnings has nothing to do with the sheriff.
Wow I just leaned that a mistake was not made and that people actually decided NOT to emergency alert system for Almeda fire. Twitch

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/county...NIMQxH7aow
(09-17-2020, 09:00 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Save face? That implies the sheriff did something wrong. I don't think the fact that there were no  EAS warnings has nothing to do with the sheriff.

Not being willing to talk about it now implies they want to be sure they dot i's and cross t's and get their stories straight for fear they trip up on some details they have no intention of releasing.

And still no mention of cause.....but they want us to believe categorically what did NOT cause it, and yet one person is already jailed for starting a portion of it.  Unsure
(09-17-2020, 09:35 AM)tvguy Wrote: Wow I just leaned that a mistake was not made and that people actually decided NOT to emergency alert system for Almeda fire. Twitch

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

"The Sheriff says warning that many people, could have had adverse effects. “Not having our roadways completely gridlocked so emergency responders could get in and get people out certainly seems like a benefit to our public today,"

if their goal was NOT to gridlock traffic, they failed.
(09-17-2020, 10:55 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 09:35 AM)tvguy Wrote: Wow I just leaned that a mistake was not made and that people actually decided NOT to emergency alert system for Almeda fire. Twitch

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

"The Sheriff says warning that many people, could have had adverse effects. “Not having our roadways completely gridlocked so emergency responders could get in and get people out certainly seems like a benefit to our public today,"

if their goal was NOT to gridlock traffic, they failed.

They have some 'splainin' to do. Hope they can learn from their experience for next time but my confidence isn't high.
(09-17-2020, 10:53 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Not being willing to talk about it now implies they want to be sure they dot i's and cross t's and get their stories straight for fear they trip up on some details they have no intention of releasing.

And still no mention of cause.....but they want us to believe categorically what did NOT cause it, and yet one person is already jailed for starting a portion of it.  Unsure

No mention of the cause? This was 8 days ago.....

A criminal investigation is underway at the origin point of the Almeda fire in Ashland, where human remains were found, Jackson County Sheriff Nate Sickler said Wednesday.
The Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit is at the early stages of an “active criminal investigation,” Sickler said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.
“We are still in the early stages,” Sickler said. “Nothing’s been ruled out — it’s still an active investigation.”
It may not be the only fatality, according to Sickler.
The fire started at 11:04 a.m. Tuesday during a red flag fire weather warning and started spreading “at an extreme rate,” Sickler said.

https://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories...re-started
I like Sickler too but his comment was ridiculous...

“To me, that’s the best alert you can get, when somebody is pulling you from a burning building and saving your life,” said Sheriff Sickler during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

With a warning it might not get to that point FFS

My niece and her husband could have died if it wasn't for their neighbor knocking on their door.
(09-17-2020, 02:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:

A criminal investigation is underway at the origin point of the Almeda fire in Ashland, where human remains were found, Jackson County Sheriff Nate Sickler said Wednesday.
The Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit is at the early stages of an “active criminal investigation,” Sickler said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.
“We are still in the early stages,” Sickler said. “Nothing’s been ruled out — it’s still an active investigation.”
The fire started at 11:04 a.m. Tuesday during a red flag fire weather warning and started spreading “at an extreme rate,” Sickler said.

"nothings been ruled out" .....except for Antifa or other such individual(s) with malicious intent however......
(09-17-2020, 03:11 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 06:47 AM)GPnative Wrote: I saw a small snip of that press conference on the news. He seemed very defensive, and kicking the can down the road for a future discussion is the sign of someone trying to come up with reasons why the shit failed so miserably in order to save face.

"nothings been ruled out" .....except for Antifa or other such individual(s) with malicious intent however......

Oh, please!! That is such a stretch.
(09-17-2020, 03:46 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 09:00 AM)tvguy Wrote: Save face? That implies the sheriff did something wrong. I don't think the fact that there were no  EAS warnings has nothing to do with the sheriff.

Perhaps, but you cant rule out arson, which is certainly malicious.
(09-17-2020, 06:03 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 10:53 AM)GPnative Wrote: Not being willing to talk about it now implies they want to be sure they dot i's and cross t's and get their stories straight for fear they trip up on some details they have no intention of releasing.

We know the fire was human caused.

I imagine Sickler is exhausted and frustrated.  The last thing he needs is to be under the gun when he's trying to do his job. His choice of words was lacking but you can't be perfect. When you are working as hard as you can and don't feel appreciated it comes out that way.  His office was not the reason EAS wasn't sent.  And he is probably right. EAS would have perhaps been worse in terms of gridlock.
(09-17-2020, 10:53 AM)GPnative Wrote: Not being willing to talk about it now implies they want to be sure they dot i's and cross t's and get their stories straight for fear they trip up on some details they have no intention of releasing.

Arson is most likely, intentional or otherwise. I don't remember any lightning around that time so not weather related.
(09-17-2020, 09:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I imagine Sickler is exhausted and frustrated.  The last thing he needs is to be under the gun when he's trying to do his job. His choice of words was lacking but you can't be perfect. When you are working as hard as you can and don't feel appreciated it comes out that way.  His office was not the reason EAS wasn't sent.  And he is probably right. EAS would have perhaps been worse in terms of gridlock.

It does raise the question, why have an emergency warning system if it's not going to be used in an emergency. As for gridlock, that seems foreseeable and could have been planned for.

I think our local leaders just failed miserably on this whole situation. They had a warning in 2009 so they shouldn't have been caught so completely off guard. Guess they figured they'd get lucky again.
(09-17-2020, 06:47 AM)GPnative Wrote: I saw a small snip of that press conference on the news. He seemed very defensive, and kicking the can down the road for a future discussion is the sign of someone trying to come up with reasons why the shit failed so miserably in order to save face.

OMG are you in to that conspiracy theory too?  There was a homicide where the Almeda fire started so why on earth would anyone be thinking Antifia.

I have never heard one single person rule out Arson. As a matter of fact that was the conclusion from day one.
(09-18-2020, 06:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 02:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:   No mention of the cause? This was 8 days ago.....

Arson is most likely, intentional or otherwise. I don't remember any lightning around that time so not weather related.

This was reported 8 days ago

[/url]
Arson investigation underway where human remains found at Almeda fire in Ashland, chief says

[Image: image.php?type=thumbnail_80x80&url=https...cd1c99.png]
The Oregonian
8d

[Image: 45NXF9_0WvqeYSo00?type=thumbnail_1024x576]
Authorities are investigating the Almeda fire as an arson after discovering [url=https://www.newsbreak.com/channels/human-remains]human remains in Ashland, the city police chief said. The Jackson County’s Major Assault/Death Investigation Unit is investigating the nature of the death of the person found, according to Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara. The unit draws detectives from...