NextDoor?
Anyone use this app?  I've been giving it a try...mostly because I'm tired of FB and there's not much here.  I have mixed feelings about it. I like that it's local.  And it's tamer than FB. Less angst and nastiness, though it does seep in.  An awful lot of it is rather inane, but sometimes a good topic comes up. I haven't exactly figured out how to use it efficiently, because it seems to want to limit me to a five-block area around my home, but slowly, as I use it more, some other stuff seems to come up.  Specifically, the recent murder on the Greenway and people getting very antsy as the weather warms up about the homeless and transients on the Greenway and fire anxiety.  But I've noticed after threads start to get pretty active they get turned off...I don't know if that's a function of NextDoor itself, or if it's the original poster shutting it down.  Kind of frustrating.  Finding decent places to discuss anything local is a frustrating proposition to be sure.  Anyway, just wondering if anyone uses this and finds it useful beyond who's got a gardener to recommend?
(03-01-2021, 11:08 PM)Juniper Wrote: Anyone use this app?  I've been giving it a try...mostly because I'm tired of FB and there's not much here.  I have mixed feelings about it. I like that it's local.  And it's tamer than FB. Less angst and nastiness, though it does seep in.  An awful lot of it is rather inane, but sometimes a good topic comes up. I haven't exactly figured out how to use it efficiently, because it seems to want to limit me to a five-block area around my home, but slowly, as I use it more, some other stuff seems to come up.  Specifically, the recent murder on the Greenway and people getting very antsy as the weather warms up about the homeless and transients on the Greenway and fire anxiety.  But I've noticed after threads start to get pretty active they get turned off...I don't know if that's a function of NextDoor itself, or if it's the original poster shutting it down.  Kind of frustrating.  Finding decent places to discuss anything local is a frustrating proposition to be sure.  Anyway, just wondering if anyone uses this and finds it useful beyond who's got a gardener to recommend?

I had it on my phone, no clue how it got there.There was never anything helpful I saw from it So it was just an annoyance.
Plus where I live is a rural ares so the "neighbors" they showed were not even close to being neighbors.
I have about 20 houses around me I personally know everyone who lives next to me and most all of the others.
About nine of them or so.
(03-02-2021, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 11:08 PM)Juniper Wrote: Anyone use this app?  I've been giving it a try...mostly because I'm tired of FB and there's not much here.  I have mixed feelings about it. I like that it's local.  And it's tamer than FB. Less angst and nastiness, though it does seep in.  An awful lot of it is rather inane, but sometimes a good topic comes up. I haven't exactly figured out how to use it efficiently, because it seems to want to limit me to a five-block area around my home, but slowly, as I use it more, some other stuff seems to come up.  Specifically, the recent murder on the Greenway and people getting very antsy as the weather warms up about the homeless and transients on the Greenway and fire anxiety.  But I've noticed after threads start to get pretty active they get turned off...I don't know if that's a function of NextDoor itself, or if it's the original poster shutting it down.  Kind of frustrating.  Finding decent places to discuss anything local is a frustrating proposition to be sure.  Anyway, just wondering if anyone uses this and finds it useful beyond who's got a gardener to recommend?

I had it on my phone, no clue how it got there.There was never anything helpful I saw from it So it was just an annoyance.
Plus where I live is a rural ares so the "neighbors" they showed were not even close to being neighbors.
I have about 20 houses around me I personally know everyone who lives next to me and most all of the others.

Like I said, recently I've been able to get into some deeper discussion issues and not just from my neighborhood.  I'm not sure if it's algorithm or what.  Kind of the usual righties vs lefties stuff on local issues.

I gotta say, you're missing the hilarity.  There's 'woke' idiots on there saying that breeding your dog is rapey and not letting your dog have sex for love, and that breeding is a cruel and despicable act, whereby not only is your female dog forced to have sex but then have their babies taken away by force.  Some idiot who claims that we should stop all house construction because of the drought.  All the nut jobs are on Nextdoor.
(06-22-2021, 09:02 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I gotta say, you're missing the hilarity.  There's 'woke' idiots on there saying that breeding your dog is rapey and not letting your dog have sex for love, and that breeding is a cruel and despicable act, whereby not only is your female dog forced to have sex but then have their babies taken away by force.  Some idiot who claims that we should stop all house construction because of the drought.  All the nut jobs are on Nextdoor.

Oh wow. Yeah sometimes it is hilarious. IMO it's people, not all young who think they are SO special and in their deluded mind they just decide there is something wrong. I seems like these people have no real lives so they have to come up with this stuff to give them self worth.

Anyway I was never on Nextdoor and saw anything like that. You makes it sound like FB.I just got messages on my phone about so called neighbors that I had zero to do with.
(06-23-2021, 05:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 09:02 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Oh wow. Yeah sometimes it is hilarious. IMO it's people, not all young who think they are SO special and in their deluded mind they just decide there is something wrong. I seems like these people have no real lives so they have to come up with this stuff to give them self worth.

Anyway I was never on Nextdoor and saw anything like that. You makes it sound like FB.I just got messages on my phone about so called neighbors that I had zero to do with.

It's like FB but different.