Laser eye surgery
Anyone else had this surgery? My vision was poor and I had to wear glasses to read and to drive. I was tested and I bought new prescription glasses with progressive lens. I also was given a lens coating that was supposed to reduce the glare when I drive at night.
All that did was make the lens nearly impossible to clean. Anyway I had cataracts and if they are bad enough insurance will pay for the  laser surgery and lens implant.
Mine were not bad enough but my optometrist said if I used the magic words than my surgery could be covered with my insurance.

The magic words are...." I'm afraid to drive at night" which was true. So that's what I said and I was approved. But I was tested with them shining a light at my eyes while I tried to read  a vision chart. And I failed.
So I was given the choice of lens between one that gives you good vision for closeup but you need glasses to see far.
Or the opposite, you can see far but need glasses to read.

OR pay $2500 extra out of your own pocket for each eye and then you can see far and close.That's what I chose.
They did my right eye first and I had the checkup a week later and my vision is better than 20 20. it's 20 15 Big Grin
I just had my left I done two days ago.
I haven't had it checked yet but I can see wonderfully now and I haven't worn or needed glasses since two weeks ago when they did my right eye.
Anyway if anyone needs and qualifies for this surgery I totally recommend getting it.
(10-16-2021, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: Anyone else had this surgery? My vision was poor and I had to wear glasses to read and to drive. I was tested and I bought new prescription glasses with progressive lens. I also was given a lens coating that was supposed to reduce the glare when I drive at night.
All that did was make the lens nearly impossible to clean. Anyway I had cataracts and if they are bad enough insurance will pay for the  laser surgery and lens implant.
Mine were not bad enough but my optometrist said if I used the magic words than my surgery could be covered with my insurance.

The magic words are...." I'm afraid to drive at night" which was true. So that's what I said and I was approved. But I was tested with them shining a light at my eyes while I tried to read  a vision chart. And I failed.
So I was given the choice of lens between one that gives you good vision for closeup but you need glasses to see far.

OR pay $2500 extra out of your own pocket for each eye and then you can see far and close.That's what I chose.
They did my right eye first and I had the checkup a week later and my vision is better than 20 20. it's 20 15 Big Grin
I haven't had it checked yet but I can see wonderfully now and I haven't worn or needed glasses since two weeks ago when they did my right eye.
Anyway if anyone needs and qualifies for this surgery I totally recommend getting it.

I have debated it a long time. My now retired eye dr. Told me years ago, if you want to spend the money, it will work, but you will eventually need glasses again, age will see to it. That kind of stuck with me so never got serious about it. I wear contacts 90% of the time and those work well for me.
(10-16-2021, 04:26 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: Anyone else had this surgery? My vision was poor and I had to wear glasses to read and to drive. I was tested and I bought new prescription glasses with progressive lens. I also was given a lens coating that was supposed to reduce the glare when I drive at night.

I have debated it a long time. My now retired eye dr. Told me years ago, if you want to spend the money, it will work, but you will eventually need glasses again, age will see to it. That kind of stuck with me so never got serious about it. I wear contacts 90% of the time and those work well for me.

Are you sure you were not asking about LASIK surgery? Anyway if it only lated ten years I would have still had the surgery Smiling

"Is lens replacement surgery permanent?

Your lenses are designed to last for approximately 100 years, so you can be confident that they will continue to work effectively for the remainder of your lifetime."

“How long do intraocular lens implants usually last and will my cataracts come back?”
Posted by victoriaw on October 18, 2016 in Blog
Intraocular lens implants (IOLs) are made from materials such as acrylic or silicone that are biocompatible.  This means that they do not react with the body or produce allergic reactions.  IOLs have been around since the late 1940s and were the first devices to be implanted in the body.  Unlike natural lenses, IOLs do not break down over a person’s lifetime and do not need to be replaced.  It is possible to exchange implants if necessary.  Possible scenarios would include the chance that an individual is either not happy with the results that the implant is providing, or if a newer technology becomes available.  Having a discussion with your surgeon about the different IOL options in advance of your procedure will increase the chance that you will be extremely satisfied with this permanent vision correction option!
Cataracts are caused by the normal growth and aging process of the body.  As the cells that make up our natural lenses continue to grow and age, the lenses lose their clarity.  During cataract surgery, your surgeon removes the cells from their lens capsule and replaces them with a lens implant that can neither grow nor cloud up.  The natural lens does not regrow, so cataract surgery does not have to be repeated in the future.  This makes cataract surgery a permanent vision correcting procedure.  Occasionally, the capsule can cloud up over weeks, months, or even years, causing symptoms similar to the original cataracts.  A quick laser procedure can be performed in the office to permanently remove the “cloud”, giving back the same great vision you had after cataract surgery.
Yes, sorry, i was thinking Lasik. Glad it was a success for you. Cant beat clear vision.
My Dad had the cataract surgery done about 6 years ago or so. It was great... while it lasted. He's needing it again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(10-16-2021, 06:33 PM)Scrapper Wrote: My Dad had the cataract surgery done about 6 years ago or so. It was great... while it lasted. He's needing it again.

Hmm   I didn't think you could get cataracts again and I found this...

How long do cataract lenses last, and does cataract surgery last a lifetime? 
A cataract lens will last a lifetime, and the vast majority of patients do not experience any complications with their lenses after cataract surgery. In fact, the most common post-cataract surgery issue has nothing to do with your lens in particular. 
Posterior capsule opacification
PCO, also known as posterior capsule opacification (commonly referred to as an “after-cataract” or a “secondary cataract”). A PCO is technically not a true cataract, although it can easily be confused for one.
With an after-cataract, the capsule that holds your lens becomes cloudy. The actual lens is fine. This particular issue is the most common cataract surgery complication and develops due to various extenuating circumstances such as steroid use, diabetes, or certain lifestyle habits. 
PCO is not a serious complication, but to avoid unnecessary damage, it should not go untreated. Luckily, PCO can be rectified with a simple laser procedure. Your cataract lens will remain as-is during the procedure.
Can cataracts grow back?
Thankfully, once you undergo cataract surgery, your cataract will not grow back. The cataract is fully removed and a cataract lens is put in its place, which means there are no organic proteins to break down and cause blurry vision on your artificial lens.
(10-16-2021, 05:59 PM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, sorry, i was thinking Lasik. Glad it was a success for you. Cant beat clear vision.

Yeah , no more glasses. I had the progressive lens and while they must have been better than bifocals they still had some  drawbacks. Trying to work on cars and things like that where you have to crawl under and look up. Then you are looking through the wrong part of the lens.
Even walking when I look down at the ground and I got a distorted view that made me nearly lose my balance.
(10-17-2021, 12:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 06:33 PM)Scrapper Wrote: My Dad had the cataract surgery done about 6 years ago or so. It was great... while it lasted. He's needing it again.

A cataract lens will last a lifetime, and the vast majority of patients do not experience any complications with their lenses after cataract surgery. In fact, the most common post-cataract surgery issue has nothing to do with your lens in particular. 
PCO, also known as posterior capsule opacification (commonly referred to as an “after-cataract” or a “secondary cataract”). A PCO is technically not a true cataract, although it can easily be confused for one.
With an after-cataract, the capsule that holds your lens becomes cloudy. The actual lens is fine. This particular issue is the most common cataract surgery complication and develops due to various extenuating circumstances such as steroid use, diabetes, or certain lifestyle habits. 
PCO is not a serious complication, but to avoid unnecessary damage, it should not go untreated. Luckily, PCO can be rectified with a simple laser procedure. Your cataract lens will remain as-is during the procedure.
Can cataracts grow back?
Thankfully, once you undergo cataract surgery, your cataract will not grow back. The cataract is fully removed and a cataract lens is put in its place, which means there are no organic proteins to break down and cause blurry vision on your artificial lens.
Hmmm... well, sounds like he needs to see his eye doctor and see what else may be going on.

(10-17-2021, 07:02 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 12:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Can cataracts grow back?
Hmmm... well, sounds like he needs to see his eye doctor and see what else may be going on.

Its probably that PCO thing but I have no clue.