Youtube
Grrrr.  Every so often, YouTube turns off the commenting section in YouTubes.  Or, more precisely I can no longer comment because it somehow unenabled itself.  I follow all the obscurely hidden prompts to go to YouTube Studio and settings, and community and permissions and still cant turn them back on.  Sometimes I can.  Then it's a mystery. It mysteriously works. Then it's off through no discernible action I've taken on my own.  Right now I'm stuck this way and CANNOT get back on. Not for My Channel. I have no channel of my own. I just like being part of the community and to make comments.  Currently can't get it working in either browser.  Growlll!!  Why does YouTube make it so, so hard?  I'm stuck. And I'm tired too.
Sometimes it's the channel itself will not allow comments. Other times it's a glitch that YT will resolve. Or sometimes it will be something on your end, That's when you may need to start clearing history, cache, cookies, make sure browser is up to date, windows, etc. Temporarily disable your antivirus to see if there is a conflict there.

I use an adblocker which will sometimes be the culprit on odd website behavior, but it is easy to disable on a site by site basis I always try that first.

Another thing to try is open youtube in a private window, if it works there you know it is on your browser or youtube log in side.
(12-03-2021, 03:15 PM)GPnative Wrote: Sometimes it's the channel itself will not allow comments. Other times it's a glitch that YT will resolve. Or sometimes it will be something on your end, That's when you may need to start clearing history, cache, cookies, make sure browser is up to date, windows, etc. Temporarily disable your antivirus to see if there is a conflict there.

I use an adblocker which will sometimes be the culprit on odd website behavior, but it is easy to disable on a site by site basis I always try that first.

Another thing to try is open youtube in a private window, if it works there you know it is on your browser or youtube log in side.

Yeah, I've tried two different browsers. I've logged in and out of my account. I've tried any random YT site.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'private' window.  I open new windows and tabs all the time. I'm pretty frustrated. This has happened to me before but I've usually been able to get through it. YT makes it incredibly difficult to turn comments on anyway, even if it worked like it should. It's like a hidden puzzle. There are so many videos about how to do it and each one becomes outdated and doesn't work anymore. Commenting in the Help section of YT gets me nowhere either. WTF???
Slightly off topic but WTF. I gave up on cable tv a long time ago and now Youtube is one of my main sources of entertainment. I watch the TV app and also I watch some stuff on my PC. I seldom comment but whenever I notice a content provider that turns off comments, I quit watching ANYTHING that they upload.
(01-07-2022, 07:08 PM)GCG Wrote: Slightly off topic but WTF. I gave up on cable tv a long time ago and now Youtube is one of my main sources of entertainment. I watch the TV app and also I watch some stuff on my PC. I seldom comment but whenever I notice a content provider that turns off comments, I quit watching ANYTHING that they upload.

I think it depends on what it is.  For instance sometimes just informational topics have no comments. Or anything with children has disabled comments. That's a YouTube thing. I don't think I notice things  have the comments disabled after comments have been going.
I wish commercials all had a comments section.
(01-07-2022, 07:08 PM)GCG Wrote: Slightly off topic but WTF. I gave up on cable tv a long time ago and now Youtube is one of my main sources of entertainment. I watch the TV app and also I watch some stuff on my PC. I seldom comment but whenever I notice a content provider that turns off comments, I quit watching ANYTHING that they upload.

I watch things on Youtube quite a bit. I don't bother to look and see if they turned off commenting.
(01-08-2022, 02:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I watch things on Youtube quite a bit. I don't bother to look and see if they turned off commenting.

Well, I enjoy some of the commenting. It's never too back and forth, but it's ok.  I don't know about looking to see if commenting is turned off, but I sure notice if I want to and cant.
(01-08-2022, 10:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 02:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, I enjoy some of the commenting. It's never too back and forth, but it's ok.  I don't know about looking to see if commenting is turned off, but I sure notice if I want to and cant.

I think it has a lot to do with what exactly we are viewing on Youtube. Or listening to. I play the songs through my guitar amplifier that has Bluetooth. I quit playing or making CD's a long time ago. I also like the free guitar lessons on how to play just about any popular songs.
Also fishing videos as well as videos about guns and shooting.
Speaking of Youtube I ran across this character who I had never heard of before. I think he's hilarious.
I think he came up with this absurd country act because there are so many talented guitar players he needed something different.
And he actually is VERY talented.

Maybe I'm just easily entertained but his stuff really makes me laugh.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/z7_YNTQmtGg [/video]
https://youtu.be/z7_YNTQmtGg
(01-09-2022, 01:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: https://youtu.be/z7_YNTQmtGg

Reminds me of a Neil Young video. He does weird random stuff.
(01-09-2022, 10:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Have you ever listened to the Greendale album? You just reminded me of that and I haven't heard it in YEARS.
(01-10-2022, 07:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Have you ever listened to the Greendale album? You just reminded me of that and I haven't heard it in YEARS.

Of course. It's not my favorite, but it IS Neil's favorite.  See the sky about the rain is one off that that I like.
(01-10-2022, 10:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Of course. It's not my favorite, but it IS Neil's favorite.  See the sky about the rain is one off that that I like.
Yeah it's too weird to be better that his other stuff But I liked some of it quite a bit. "See the sky about the rain" OK Big Grin
(01-11-2022, 12:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah it's too weird to be better that his other stuff But I liked some of it quite a bit. "See the sky about the rain" OK Big Grin

Greendale is his environmentalist manifesto. He's still kind of like that.
(01-11-2022, 10:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 10:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: Reminds me of a Neil Young video. He does weird random stuff.

Yep , good for him but I think he was over the top of native American issues.

I don't remember the whole story on Greendale. But it was about environmental issues?  

OK I just read the lyrics and only one song on the album seemed to be about environmentalism.

Be the Rain (Young) - 9:13
Save the planet for another day
"attention shoppers, buy with a conscience and save"
"save alaska! let the caribou stay"
Don't care what the governments say
"they're all bought and paid for anyway"
"hey big oil, what do you say?"

We were runnin' through the night
Never knowin' if we would see the light
Paranoid schizophrenic visions
Livin' in fear of the wrong decisions

We got to wake up
We got to keep goin'
If they follow us
There's no way of knowin'

We got a job to do
We got to
Save mother earth

Be the ocean when it meets the sky
"you can make a difference, if you really try"
Be the magic in the northern lights
"six days....six nights"
Be the river as it rolls along
"it has three eyed fish and it's smellin' strong"
Be the rain you remember fallin'
"be the rain, be the rain"

Yeah rain was fallin' and we're soakin' wet
Hail is beatin' down on our heads
The wind is blowin' through our hair
Faces frozen in the frigid air

We got to get there
Alaska
We got to be there
Before the big machines

We got a job to do
We got to
Save mother earth

Dream the hunter on the western plain
"the birds are all gone, where did they go?"
Dream the fisherman in his boat
"he's comin' home empty, he's barely afloat"
Dream the logger in the great northwest
"they're runnin' out of trees, they got to give it a rest"
(there's no other way to cut it)
Dream the farmer in the old heartland
"corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land"

Next mornin' sun was up at dawn
She looked around and earth was gone
Dark visions he had last night
He needed peace, he needed light

He heard the rumble and
He saw the big machines
The green army rose
It was a bad dream

He had a job to do
He had to
Save mother earth

"greek freighters are dumping crap somewhere right now"
"the ice is melting!"
"toxic waste dumpin' from corporate farms"
(01-12-2022, 01:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 07:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: Have you ever listened to the Greendale album? You just reminded me of that and I haven't heard it in YEARS.

I don't remember the whole story on Greendale. But it was about environmental issues?  

OK I just read the lyrics and only one song on the album seemed to be about environmentalism.

Be the Rain (Young) - 9:13
"attention shoppers, buy with a conscience and save"
"save alaska! let the caribou stay"
Don't care what the governments say
"they're all bought and paid for anyway"
"hey big oil, what do you say?"

We were runnin' through the night
Never knowin' if we would see the light
Paranoid schizophrenic visions
Livin' in fear of the wrong decisions

We got to wake up
We got to keep goin'
If they follow us
There's no way of knowin'

We got a job to do
We got to
Save mother earth

"you can make a difference, if you really try"
"six days....six nights"
"it has three eyed fish and it's smellin' strong"

Yeah rain was fallin' and we're soakin' wet
Hail is beatin' down on our heads
The wind is blowin' through our hair
Faces frozen in the frigid air

We got to get there
Alaska
We got to be there
Before the big machines

We got a job to do
We got to
Save mother earth

Dream the hunter on the western plain
"the birds are all gone, where did they go?"
Dream the fisherman in his boat
"he's comin' home empty, he's barely afloat"
Dream the logger in the great northwest
"they're runnin' out of trees, they got to give it a rest"
(there's no other way to cut it)
Dream the farmer in the old heartland
"corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land"

Next mornin' sun was up at dawn
She looked around and earth was gone
Dark visions he had last night
He needed peace, he needed light

He heard the rumble and
He saw the big machines
The green army rose
It was a bad dream

He had a job to do
He had to
Save mother earth

"greek freighters are dumping crap somewhere right now"
"the ice is melting!"
"toxic waste dumpin' from corporate farms"
Well, what you have to realize is that when that album was released, Neil released a film called Greendale. It was kind of weird, and isn't overtly environmentalist, but Neil likes to refer to it as having an environmentalist theme. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379307/ [Image: search?view=detailV2&ccid=zJvUOn19&id=10...ajaxserp=0]
(01-12-2022, 10:23 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 10:07 PM)Juniper Wrote: Of course. It's not my favorite, but it IS Neil's favorite.  See the sky about the rain is one off that that I like.

Well, what you have to realize is that when that album was released, Neil released a film called Greendale. It was kind of weird, and isn't overtly environmentalist, but Neil likes to refer to it as having an environmentalist theme. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379307/ [Image: search?view=detailV2&ccid=zJvUOn19&id=10...ajaxserp=0]

You are right I had no clue he made a film. Apparently it was a flop LOL. I might watch it anyway just for the halibut Big Grin

[Image: greendale.jpg]
(01-13-2022, 11:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 10:23 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 12:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah it's too weird to be better that his other stuff But I liked some of it quite a bit. "See the sky about the rain" OK Big Grin

You are right I had no clue he made a film. Apparently it was a flop LOL. I might watch it anyway just for the halibut Big Grin

[Image: greendale.jpg]

Neil is NOT a good film maker. He's an odd duck.