Climate change
(02-25-2022, 11:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 02:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 09:25 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I said wet early winter, which seems to have been the case indeed. I wouldn't expect that to end any drought though.  As for preserving water....I would think, that with peoples wells running dry, perhaps measures that regulate agricultural use might be a consideration? I lived in Southern California in the seventies when drought measures for civilians were in place.  Like lawn watering, etc. etc. A lot of public education stuff about conserving and it was certainly heard if not practiced universally.
 Sure if farming is running people wells dry it needs to be regulated. I read about this happening but I don't know where.

As far as drought measures for civilians were in place that would be the Medford water commission and I really don't think there will be a shortage from them. At least I hope not because that would mean the Rogue river was low. Crying
I've been hearing stories of wells in Talent running dry.
Ya know I had a lot of discussions with people in the talent group who made all these claims I commented on earlier.
That pot and hemp has replaced food crops and there was no more land to buy food.
Never mind that Ron Meyers is getting out of the pear business as well as others. Because the market is soft. They can't make any money.
NOT because of the lack of water. And I could never find one single person say their OWN well went dry.
(02-26-2022, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 11:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 02:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 09:25 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I said wet early winter, which seems to have been the case indeed. I wouldn't expect that to end any drought though.  As for preserving water....I would think, that with peoples wells running dry, perhaps measures that regulate agricultural use might be a consideration? I lived in Southern California in the seventies when drought measures for civilians were in place.  Like lawn watering, etc. etc. A lot of public education stuff about conserving and it was certainly heard if not practiced universally.
 Sure if farming is running people wells dry it needs to be regulated. I read about this happening but I don't know where.

As far as drought measures for civilians were in place that would be the Medford water commission and I really don't think there will be a shortage from them. At least I hope not because that would mean the Rogue river was low. Crying
I've been hearing stories of wells in Talent running dry.
Ya know I had a lot of discussions with people in the talent group who made all these claims I commented on earlier.
That pot and hemp has replaced food crops and there was no more land to buy food.
Never mind that Ron Meyers is getting out of the pear business as well as others. Because the market is soft. They can't make any money.
NOT because of the lack of water. And I could never find one single person say their OWN well went dry.

I don't know either....I've heard people say it though on FB.  No one I know personally.  I heard a couple of months ago that the Darkwing Manor home in Phoenix had run dry, but it's listed for a high price on Zillow, so it seems unlikely.  I remember last summer a Talent resident complaining about her lack of water but lived across the street from the city water zone and those folks could water their lawns.
Speaking of water our old anti gubment pal Oregunluver is on FB blaming the government for draining our reservoirs Laughing
Poor guys cheese must be slipping off it's cracker more than it always has.
Yeah It's not the lack of rain or snowfall that's the problem Rolling Eyes 
and NEVER try to tell a far right winger climate change is happening Rolling Eyes
On a local FB group, a member said they had contacted TID about the upcoming year and was told it was worse than last year and not to plan on planting a big garden. I'm not sure what the definition of "big garden" was.
(03-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: On a local FB group, a member said they had contacted TID about the upcoming year and was told it was worse than last year and not to plan on planting a big garden. I'm not sure what the definition of "big garden" was.

Yeah I think they were saying don't plant too much. Maybe a person could still water a small garden without the irrigation.
(03-01-2022, 10:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: On a local FB group, a member said they had contacted TID about the upcoming year and was told it was worse than last year and not to plan on planting a big garden. I'm not sure what the definition of "big garden" was.

Yeah I think they were saying don't plant too much. Maybe a person could still water a small garden without the irrigation.

Some people were interpreting it in terms of choice. Choosing what to water. Most seemed to feel their trees and other things like property hedges were a priority over a vegetable garden. That's cutting it pretty fine. I think a garden with thick mulching wouldn't require too much water.
(03-02-2022, 10:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Some people were interpreting it in terms of choice. Choosing what to water. Most seemed to feel their trees and other things like property hedges were a priority over a vegetable garden. That's cutting it pretty fine. I think a garden with thick mulching wouldn't require too much water.
Water trees??  You been talking to Mike Laughing The mail lady in heaven?

Corn takes a ton of water. And space, Corn has always been so cheap I normally don't plant any.
Especially this coming season because all my plants will be in my above ground boxes I normally use to grow weed.
(03-03-2022, 01:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Corn takes a ton of water. And space, Corn has always been so cheap I normally don't plant any.
Especially this coming season because all my plants will be in my above ground boxes I normally use to grow weed.

I don't understand what you're saying.  Does 'garden' mean corn?  I don't even consider growing corn. That's why I think it's a fine line to say they would water trees over the garden.  I can't see the competition, but I can see wanting to keep my trees.
(03-03-2022, 09:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 01:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't understand what you're saying.  Does 'garden' mean corn?  I don't even consider growing corn. That's why I think it's a fine line to say they would water trees over the garden.  I can't see the competition, but I can see wanting to keep my trees.
You spoke about a garden that didn't require much water by using mulch. I was just pointing out that some garden plants take a LOT of water, like corn.

As far  as what to water. Most trees don't need water depending on where you live or how old the tree is.
A tree has far more monetary value than a garden so I can se why some would really be upset if they had to let their trees die.
Looking back at what you said.....

Juniper Wrote: Wrote:On a local FB group, a member said they had contacted TID about the upcoming year and was told it was worse than last year and not to plan on planting a big garden. I'm not sure what the definition of "big garden" was.

If it's TID I think they are saying don't invest too much in a garden. Seems to be no matter what size at some point and it looks like early in the year there won't be ANY water in the ditch. So maybe people could water with city water?