Movies!
tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Wonky.... Really? I thought it was worth the few bucks I paid to see it.
I'm always curious when folks say something like "IMO it stunk like stagnant canal water" but offer no remarks to explain the opinion. Not that it's required of course.

I was bored too often, it all seemed slow to develop, the plot was plodding. The people ...Clooney , his boss his traveling tramp girl friend were all just a little bit TOO clever and witty and quick to be real.

The entire premise that a huge company that fired people was going to go on line but changed once a person committed suicide was tough to believe as was the entire movie.

Lonesome dove was a masterpiece and Duvall was the best I have ever seen him before and since.

Just out of curiosity, anyone here who really loved Lonesome Dove ever read the book? And if so, did you think it was a masterpiece too? I did. I'm not a big fan of Larry McMurtry books, but that one was a great book.
Tia Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:
I'm always curious when folks say something like "IMO it stunk like stagnant canal water" but offer no remarks to explain the opinion. Not that it's required of course.

I was bored too often, it all seemed slow to develop, the plot was plodding. The people ...Clooney , his boss his traveling tramp girl friend were all just a little bit TOO clever and witty and quick to be real.

The entire premise that a huge company that fired people was going to go on line but changed once a person committed suicide was tough to believe as was the entire movie.

Lonesome dove was a masterpiece and Duvall was the best I have ever seen him before and since.

Just out of curiosity, anyone here who really loved Lonesome Dove ever read the book? And if so, did you think it was a masterpiece too? I did. I'm not a big fan of Larry McMurtry books, but that one was a great book.

Yes !!! It was a fantastic book. The movie was great also. That reminds me, I should watch it again. Haven't seen it it a few years.
Where the Wild Things are, well, stank like a stagnant canal. There was no plot, some of the scenes were fun but it failed to hold anyones interest-- from the 2 year old to us grown ups. I was really looking forward to it, but man, I haven't rented a movie that bad in forever. It made Transformers 2 look good.

The new miniseries The Pacific looks really good, I saw some clips and the first episode the other day and, of course, Band of Brothers is wonderful-- long but worth it. Even my 13 year old will watch it and I think it's great (and I don't usually do war movies).
Wonky Wrote:Yea, he WAS that guy.
Also good in The Great Santini , but I guess I'll always feel his best role was Gus in Lonesome Dove.

I loved him in the role of Gus. That movie was so well cast. Tommy Lee Jones was amazing as Call. That was one of my all-time favorite books and the movie was terrific. Even Blue Duck was perfectly cast.
broadzilla Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
broadzilla Wrote:Just watched Old Dogs with the kiddos...good for a few real belly laughs!

Hey BZ, can't remember the kid's ages. If old enough, I suggest Napoleon Dynamite.
I couldn't stand ND when my eldest brought it home a few years back...he's 19 now.
I know my 11 yr old would love it...but I wouldn't be able to put up with him having it on.
My 10 yr old daughter does not need to see it.

Any other recommendations?

My kids still talk about that movie and quote from it. Just saying, "Vote for Pedro" is enough to send them into gales of laughter. Personally, I didn't get it at all and have NO IDEA why the younger generation liked it so much.

While we're at it, "Little Miss Sunshine" didn't do much for me either.
Oh, see, Little Miss Sunshine was hysterical IMO-- hubby and I laughed and laughed, but we have that darker sense of humor. ND on the other hand was just plain old stupid.
I think Little Miss Sunshine lost something in translation on the small screen. I loved it in the theater.
TennisMom Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:Yea, he WAS that guy.
Also good in The Great Santini , but I guess I'll always feel his best role was Gus in Lonesome Dove.

I loved him in the role of Gus. That movie was so well cast. Tommy Lee Jones was amazing as Call. That was one of my all-time favorite books and the movie was terrific. Even Blue Duck was perfectly cast.

I agree totally. I've always maintained that casting is never as important as the writing, but in this case I agree completely! Casting MADE this story. And Blue Duck scared the livin' stuff outta me! Don't ever want to know that dude, or any of his kin!
I've read a few other Larry McMurty story's, and only The Last Picture Show came close to bringing to life the characters like "Dove".
May be time for a re-read.
I feel that if Robert Duvall would never have won an academy award, he would go down as one of the best under rated actors of all time. I still think he doesnâ??t get the recognition he deserves. Speaking of under rated, have you seen him in the â??Twighlight Zoneâ?? episode â??miniatureâ?? Twighlight Zone is another of those works that I feel didnâ??t get the recognition that it should; though some folks may disagree but will still think that it was great work by Rod Serling.

Speaking about â??Little Miss Sunshineâ??, there is an actor that didnâ??t have a particularly big part, Paul Dano who could be the next Robert Duvall. He also played the preacher in â??There will be Bloodâ??, an excellent movie in its own right. Daniel-Day Lewis is the lead & suggested to the director that Dano would be perfect for the part of the preacher.

Folks like Duvall & Dano have to earn their acting accolades because they donâ??t come off as the pretty boys like Clooney or Pitt; theyâ??re not the eye candy perceived by the public & will only be recognized for roles as Duvall for Mockingbird & Dano for Blood. If you havenâ??t seen any of their performances in those movies then you are missing good movies & a great performance by both actors. Duvall in the â??miniatureâ? Twighlight Zone episode was also memorable. In my mind, it was probably the best episode done when Twighlight Zone went to their short lived 1 hour format. Of course 98% of their ½ hour episodes will be classics long after my body erodes to dustâ?¦.
Oh, Twilight Zone is definately a classic/ full of classics. The simple fact that most of us sentient human beings can recognize the music and the intro would be enough to guarantee it it's place in the classic library. Eye of the Beholder, Obsolete Man... classics.
Playing the â??Twighlight Zoneâ?? garnered a television series for Donna Douglas: â??Beverly Hillbilliesâ?? & Star status for Burgess Meredith when he went on to â??Batmanâ?? & the â??Rockyâ?? movies. Also Robert Redford got a â??Twighlight Zoneâ?? gig when he played Harold Beldon, aka, Mr. Death, in the episode â??Nothing in the Darkâ?. One of my favorites! That program showed the way for many of talent to work their way up the film entertainment path
mixpix Wrote:I feel that if Robert Duvall would never have won an academy award, he would go down as one of the best under rated actors of all time. I still think he doesnâ??t get the recognition he deserves. Speaking of under rated, have you seen him in the â??Twighlight Zoneâ?? episode â??miniatureâ?? Twighlight Zone is another of those works that I feel didnâ??t get the recognition that it should; though some folks may disagree but will still think that it was great work by Rod Serling.

Speaking about â??Little Miss Sunshineâ??, there is an actor that didnâ??t have a particularly big part, Paul Dano who could be the next Robert Duvall. He also played the preacher in â??There will be Bloodâ??, an excellent movie in its own right. Daniel-Day Lewis is the lead & suggested to the director that Dano would be perfect for the part of the preacher.

Folks like Duvall & Dano have to earn their acting accolades because they donâ??t come off as the pretty boys like Clooney or Pitt; theyâ??re not the eye candy perceived by the public & will only be recognized for roles as Duvall for Mockingbird & Dano for Blood. If you havenâ??t seen any of their performances in those movies then you are missing good movies & a great performance by both actors. Duvall in the â??miniatureâ? Twighlight Zone episode was also memorable. In my mind, it was probably the best episode done when Twighlight Zone went to their short lived 1 hour format. Of course 98% of their ½ hour episodes will be classics long after my body erodes to dustâ?¦.

Paul Dano was also very good in 'There will be blood'.
Tia Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

Tia, I log on and often read things from "back to front", or "Last to 1st"...not a good way to follow continuity. So, after already posting about this, wanted to now come back and comment here. Yea, I think "Dove" was the best McMurty will ever do. The Last Picture show put him on the map, but few other things I've read came to life as "Dove" did. While I felt that he developed some really great characters and settings, he included a lot of chance meetings that came close to stretching credibility. And still, as much as I enjoyed the book, I (repeating myself) felt the real achievement of the TV series was the casting. Can't even imagine others playing the parts. Even the "bean cooking" cook was well done...he who would not ride an animal because he thought they deserved respect. Good stuff.
We forget that he also has written many screen-plays. Brokeback Mountain and of course his own story, Terms of Endearment.
I also thought another complementary story that was interesting (but not great) was Some Can Whistle.
Quote:Even the "bean cooking" cook was well done...he who would not ride an animal because he thought they deserved respect. Good stuff.

I remember the very beginning of the story it was immediately obvious that the acting was superb and the tone that was set was amazingly believable.

The way they interacted at the dinner table and the cook who was mad at Gus who had teased him about ringing that damn bell..... I just knew from the start that this movie was something special.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UhypY-pUg&feature=related[/youtube]
I almost forgot about, the music...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZA-7jhqBVM[/youtube]
I don't suppose many have seen it, but when I saw Brokeback Mountain, I kept thinking how much the movie made me think of Lonesome Dove. The way the characters were drawn. In Lonesome Dove the characters were so well drawn and so intensely personal. When I watched Brokeback Mountain I got the same feeling. Only to see Larry McMurtry's name come up on the credits as the screenwriter confirming my hunch.

Interestingly, I have found so many men who swear they are not homophobic, refuse to see this movie. Hmmmm...It was a very good movie and for many of the same reasons that Lonesome Dove was.
Tia Wrote:I don't suppose anyone has seen it, but when I saw Brokeback Mountain, I kept thinking how much the movie made me think of Lonesome Dove. The way the characters were drawn. In Lonesome Dove the characters were so well drawn and so intensely personal. When I watched Brokeback Mountain I got the same feeling. Only to see Larry McMurtry's name come up on the credits as the screenwriter confirming my hunch.

Interestingly, I have found so many men who swear they are not homophobic, refuse to see this movie. Hmmmm...It was a very good movie and for many of the same reasons that Lonesome Dove was.

I don't think of myself as homophobic. Gay men don't bother me but that doesn't mean I want to watch them make out. I'm neither for nor against gay marriage. I just don't care. There are plenty of movies that I have no interest in seeing... and for plenty of different reasons. While its true that the reason that I would not watch Brokeback Mountain is because it is centered around gay men... not wanting to see it hardly defines me as homophobic.
Quote:I don't think of myself as homophobic. Gay men don't bother me but that doesn't mean I want to watch them make out. I'm neither for nor against gay marriage. I just don't care. There are plenty of movies that I have no interest in seeing... and for plenty of different reasons. While its true that the reason that I would not watch Brokeback Mountain is because it is centered around gay men... not wanting to see it hardly defines me as homophobic

That is EXACTLY what I saw just going to say to Tia. Holy crap Tia the concept that some men don't want to watch a movie about Gay cowboys doesn't seem hard to grasp. You sure are making a gay leap connecting the dots to make homophobia.

Quote:TiaInterestingly, I have found so many men who swear they are not homophobic, refuse to see this movie. Hmmmm...It was a very good movie and for many of the same reasons that Lonesome Dove was.
"Hmmmmm" you say as if you are on to something Laughing It aint got nuttin to do with being homophobic and everything to do with gay cowboys sounding like shit poor entertainment Laughing especially in a freaking western.

If it was a movie about midget cowboys I probably wouldn't want to watch that either
Oh yeah, well I did see Brokeback Mountain and I was not disgusted. There are only a few scenes with the Characters kissing. God damn it, if two straight men can kiss on stage without puking then the least you can do is see the damn movie! Laughing

But then I am very secure in my own sexuality so I don't make a big deal out of two men kissing unlike some of the manly men posting here. Laughing