Movies!
(11-13-2017, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 12:47 PM)Scrapper Wrote: As to the reply feature....

I have no issue using it with my laptop, but when using my phone or tablet it's another story! Like it's possessed! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I get that Smiling
Not sure why I didn't use the respond feature...especially after I've given BBQ so much grief about it. Wink

As to the debate: I'm going to disconnect for a bit: Not being a chicken about it, but some critical family issues going  on and I need to take care of business. 
See you here later.
(11-13-2017, 08:32 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 12:47 PM)Scrapper Wrote: As to the reply feature....

I have no issue using it with my laptop, but when using my phone or tablet it's another story! Like it's possessed! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I get that Smiling
Not sure why I didn't use the respond feature...especially after I've given BBQ so much grief about it. Wink

As to the debate: I'm going to disconnect for a bit: Not being a chicken about it, but some critical family issues going  on and I need to take care of business. 
See you here later.

Wishing all the best to you and yours...
So...
I like movies. I like 'em on the BIG SCREEN with good sound, and I don't even mind paying a fortune for the lousy popcorn.

I didn't see many movies this year (so far).

I looked up the "hits" on IMDB. Just not my kind of movies.  Wink

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=20...e=feature&
(11-25-2017, 04:11 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So...
I like movies. I like 'em on the BIG SCREEN with good sound, and I don't even mind paying a fortune for the lousy popcorn.

I'm a die hard movie at the movies fan. I don't bother with the concession stand, but there aren't many films I go to see.  Most I end up going to by myself.
(11-25-2017, 05:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I'm a die hard movie at the movies fan. I don't bother with the concession stand, but there aren't many films I go to see.  Most I end up going to by myself.
I too, see a lot of films alone. Mrs. Wonky and I have different tastes (sometimes) and so I go alone often. It's a solitary experience once the lights dim anyway. 
I'm hoping that the "Academy Season" now upon us will bring on some good films.
(11-25-2017, 07:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I too, see a lot of films alone. Mrs. Wonky and I have different tastes (sometimes) and so I go alone often. It's a solitary experience once the lights dim anyway. 
Not a damn thing for Thanksgiving weekend.  I think Hollywood mostly sees cinema worthy film making as blockbuster worthy.  That narrows the field considerably. And it's all we'll get at Tinseltown. I miss the old Southside cinema. Sad
(11-25-2017, 07:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Not a damn thing for Thanksgiving weekend.  I think Hollywood mostly sees cinema worthy film making as blockbuster worthy.  That narrows the field considerably. And it's all we'll get at Tinseltown. I miss the old Southside cinema. Sad

I 2nd that! Loved that dollar movie house, even if my feet did get stuck on the floor. I guess Tinseltown knows their market. Seems the kind of movies I enjoy last about two days and are gone.
(11-25-2017, 07:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I 2nd that! Loved that dollar movie house, even if my feet did get stuck on the floor. I guess Tinseltown knows their market. Seems the kind of movies I enjoy last about two days and are gone.

What I don't understand is how a growing region used to host 4 movie houses simultaneously and now only has one that limits what's available to view. I do not drive to Ashland for films. I hate the Varsity.
(11-25-2017, 08:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 05:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: I'm a die hard movie at the movies fan. I don't bother with the concession stand, but there aren't many films I go to see.  Most I end up going to by myself.

What I don't understand is how a growing region used to host 4 movie houses simultaneously and now only has one that limits what's available to view. I do not drive to Ashland for films. I hate the Varsity.
I agree, the Varsity, once a great movie house, was sliced and diced and is now an uncomfortable and lousy place to watch film. And, I simply don't enjoy going to, or being in, "The People's Republic of Ashland", for reasons I don't fully understand myself. Someone once said "A nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit".
We went last week to see "She Loves Me" at the Oregon Cabaret Theater...it was a good performance considering the actors are unpaid (or at least underpaid) and the food (brunch) was fine if overpriced. Still, I was happy to leave and get back to the legitimate city of Medford where people are not hugging me and telling me the "feel my pain". 

About Medford movies houses: True, we have "only one" but that one has many theaters: At least a dozen, I think. The problem, they don't keep "serious or "art" movies more than a few days. (Says something about our demographic?) 
Bye the by, I heard a review this AM on NPR Radio of "Roman J. Israel Esq.", the Denzel Washington movie coming soon (I hope) and from that review I'm looking forward to seeing it. Sounds like Washington starting to slip into "character roles" more than "leading man" stuff. 

Note to BBQ: I know you live in Ashland. I'm sure it's a great town and it's only MY unexplained prejudice that is responsible for my feeling while there. I hope you enjoy the town and there is no need to defend it or attack my unwarranted view.
(11-26-2017, 08:30 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 07:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I too, see a lot of films alone. Mrs. Wonky and I have different tastes (sometimes) and so I go alone often. It's a solitary experience once the lights dim anyway. 

I agree, the Varsity, once a great movie house, was sliced and diced and is now an uncomfortable and lousy place to watch film. And, I simply don't enjoy going to, or being in, "The People's Republic of Ashland", for reasons I don't fully understand myself. Someone once said "A nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit".
We went last week to see "She Loves Me" at the Oregon Cabaret Theater...it was a good performance considering the actors are unpaid (or at least underpaid) and the food (brunch) was fine if overpriced. Still, I was happy to leave and get back to the legitimate city of Medford where people are not hugging me and telling me the "feel my pain". 

About Medford movies houses: True, we have "only one" but that one has many theaters: At least a dozen, I think. The problem, they don't keep "serious or "art" movies more than a few days. (Says something about our demographic?) 
Bye the by, I heard a review this AM on NPR Radio of "Roman J. Israel Esq.", the Denzel Washington movie coming soon (I hope) and from that review I'm looking forward to seeing it. Sounds like Washington starting to slip into "character roles" more than "leading man" stuff. 

Note to BBQ: I know you live in Ashland. I'm sure it's a great town and it's only MY unexplained prejudice that is responsible for my feeling while there. I hope you enjoy the town and there is no need to defend it or attack my unwarranted view.

What about the White city movie theater? That doesn't count? It's only a couple miles out of Medford.
(11-26-2017, 02:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 07:34 PM)Juniper Wrote: Not a damn thing for Thanksgiving weekend.  I think Hollywood mostly sees cinema worthy film making as blockbuster worthy.  That narrows the field considerably. And it's all we'll get at Tinseltown. I miss the old Southside cinema. Sad

What about the White city movie theater? That doesn't count? It's only a couple miles out of Medford.

Yes, and just movies previously shown in Medford, I think.
(11-26-2017, 03:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 07:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I 2nd that! Loved that dollar movie house, even if my feet did get stuck on the floor. I guess Tinseltown knows their market. Seems the kind of movies I enjoy last about two days and are gone.

Yes, and just movies previously shown in Medford, I think.

Wrong.  Six screens showing six of the same movies being shown at the same time at Tinseltown. Not "previously" seen.
(11-25-2017, 07:34 PM)Juniper Wrote: Not a damn thing for Thanksgiving weekend.  I think Hollywood mostly sees cinema worthy film making as blockbuster worthy.  That narrows the field considerably. And it's all we'll get at Tinseltown. I miss the old Southside cinema. Sad

Technically, no. But I would if they showed something other than just the same material shown at Tinseltown.
Well Juniper, (and others) 
Denzel Washington's new movie "Roman J. Israel Esq" is playing at the Varsity in Ashland. No doubt a little too "artsy" for Tinseltown? 
What are the odds it will come to Medford?
(11-28-2017, 07:15 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Well Juniper, (and others) 
Denzel Washington's new movie "Roman J. Israel Esq" is playing at the Varsity in Ashland. No doubt a little too "artsy" for Tinseltown? 

Looks like a lousy movie based on the reviews. Works for me. I've been sick of Denzel for a long time.
(11-29-2017, 03:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Looks like a lousy movie based on the reviews. Works for me. I've been sick of Denzel for a long time.

Mixed reviews. https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutg...4c968aee6e
Denzel Washington delivers a performance for the ages in “Roman J. Israel, Esq.,” an appealing if ultimately frustrating urban thriller by Dan Gilroy. 
Now at Tinseltown in Medford:

At one point in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Frances McDormand tears the movie open, showing you what a broken heart looks like. It happens during an uneasily intimate encounter between her character, a tough number named Mildred, and an ailing police chief, Willoughby (Woody Harrelson). Until then, Mildred has seemed impervious to his pain. She has rented three billboards attacking his failure to solve her daughter’s murder — one reads “Raped While Dying” — and has been so wrapped up in her hurt that she hasn’t seen anyone else’s. When she realizes how sick Willoughby is, she looks at him as if for the first time. She’s staggered, and so are you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/movie...=google_kp
(11-29-2017, 03:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Denzel Washington delivers a performance for the ages in “Roman J. Israel, Esq.,” an appealing if ultimately frustrating urban thriller by Dan Gilroy. 

Sure, mixed reviews. Some like it some don't.I looked at several reviews before I commented it looks like a lousy movie. Rotten tomatoes gave it a 51%. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie rated that low by them.

I looked at metacritic site who gave it a 58. And that's an average of about 40 reviews.
Anyway based on that I wouldn't go to see it.
(11-29-2017, 05:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Sure, mixed reviews. Some like it some don't.I looked at several reviews before I commented it looks like a lousy movie. Rotten tomatoes gave it a 51%. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie rated that low by them.

I looked at metacritic site who gave it a 58. And that's an average of about 40 reviews.
I may, if it comes from Ashland to Medford. 
If I see it, I'll be sure to give you a full report.
(11-29-2017, 06:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 05:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I may, if it comes from Ashland to Medford. 
If I see it, I'll be sure to give you a full report.
Well I already got a pretty good report from a lot of people. Who knows it could be one of those movies I liked even though it has bad reviews.
I doubt it.