Movies!
(10-07-2019, 08:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 12:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 10:56 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 09:20 PM)Juniper Wrote: Sorry, GOT
You're fucking with me right? What the fuck is GOT? OK never mind I had to Google even that acronym. Rolling Eyes
Anyway I don't see how you can compare the the two. GOT was fantasy or science fiction. It was full of full blown magic and paranormal crap.

I'm not comparing the two. I'm talking about you. You show that by watching fantasy and science fiction that you are able to suspend disbelief. That's what I'm saying. So, in a film like the revenant, which is admittedly not supposed to be fantasy, I am able to suspend my disbelief at the wolves and what not. Although apparently that guy did get attacked by a bear that he killed and some of those other things did occur...so I just suspend my disbelief if the story is compelling enough.

Well sure I can overlook what is not real watching fantasy and science fiction. But not when what I'm watching is not supposed to and should not have unbelievable parts. Especially when it's about a true story. I don't mind if they  embellish the story, they always do. But for me it has to be believable. From the very beginning when INVISIBLE Indians were shooting high speed laser guided arrows with unbelievable accuracy I was somewhat disappointed. Razz

He climbed out of an ice cold river and all I could see was snow and magically he was able to to start a fire?

As far as the wolves.. That was a different movie I had confused with the revenant LOL

The Grey
[Image: v1.bTsxMTE2NDU1NjtqOzE4MjY0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA]

The Grey
Critics Consensus
The Grey is an exciting tale of survival, populated with fleshed-out characters and a surprising philosophical agenda.

79%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 206

61%
Audience Score
User Ratings: 164,884
You're saying you had the Grey and it's wolves mixed up with the Revenant?  (just to be clear).
Yes exactly LOL.. I f you haven't see the grey you will be laughing when you see the wold scene.
We've talked about movie-going....I don't know how many here actually do go to the films. I was wondering if anyone had seen The Joker. It's interesting....Thematically, The Joker is everything I like; it's about change and evolution, or de-evolution in this case, it's character-driven, and those are themes I really enjoy. And while in the end, I thought it was a good movie, I kind of struggled during the watching of it. Wondering if anyone else watched it. I had a rare weekday afternoon off with no obligations and thought I'd take it in. I'm still digesting it.
(10-23-2019, 04:01 PM)Juniper Wrote: We've talked about movie-going....I don't know how many here actually do go to the films.  I was wondering if anyone had seen The Joker.  It's interesting....Thematically, The Joker is everything I like; it's about change and evolution, or de-evolution in this case,  it's character-driven, and those are themes I really enjoy. And while in the end, I thought it was a good movie, I kind of struggled during the watching of it. Wondering if anyone else watched it.  I had a rare weekday afternoon off with no obligations and thought I'd take it in.  I'm still digesting it.

I like watching movies but I haven't actually set foot in a theater in probably ten years. I've thought about it a few times for particular movies, but in the end I just don't want to put up with the crowd.

I don't have any plans to see The Joker. Spiderman, Batman, Joker movies, I'm just not motivated. Sorry.
(10-23-2019, 04:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 04:01 PM)Juniper Wrote: We've talked about movie-going....I don't know how many here actually do go to the films.  I was wondering if anyone had seen The Joker.  It's interesting....Thematically, The Joker is everything I like; it's about change and evolution, or de-evolution in this case,  it's character-driven, and those are themes I really enjoy. And while in the end, I thought it was a good movie, I kind of struggled during the watching of it. Wondering if anyone else watched it.  I had a rare weekday afternoon off with no obligations and thought I'd take it in.  I'm still digesting it.

I like watching movies but I haven't actually set foot in a theater in probably ten years. I've thought about it a few times for particular movies, but in the end I just don't want to put up with the crowd.

I don't have any plans to see The Joker. Spiderman, Batman, Joker movies, I'm just not motivated. Sorry.

Oh, I have no love of superhero films. I don't see them. The Joker is not a superhero film. I don't do crowds either. They pretty much have that part figured out. Since you can pick your seat and time ahead of time, it's not too big an issue. they even have booze now.
(10-23-2019, 04:24 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Oh, I have no love of superhero films. I don't see them. The Joker is not a superhero film.  I don't do crowds either. They pretty much have that part figured out. Since you can pick your seat and time ahead of time, it's not too big an issue. they even have booze now.

Oh, wonderful! How do I get home then?   ...legally.   Laughing

I also hate crowds, which is why i wait until the movie has been out awhile, pushing it close to when it may even be leaving the theater, hit a mid week matinee, and crowds are non-issue, i have been the only person in a theater before, and more often then not, no more than 10 to 15.
(10-23-2019, 05:19 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I also hate crowds, which is why i wait until the movie has been out awhile, pushing it close to when it may even be leaving the theater, hit a mid week matinee, and crowds are non-issue, i have been the only person in a theater before, and more often then not, no more than 10 to 15.

Good idea, now that I have a more liberal work schedule I could even do that.

Yep, I've had an unusual week, seen two movies in a week. I can go months and see nothing, but this week, both films which were popular films are going out soon and only about 10 or so people there.  Although, the thing I don't like about the assigned seating is you can get stuck to a person eating popcorn and slurping coke, and I HATE that.  Like a Nebraska feed lot.  Grrrr.
(10-23-2019, 05:07 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Oh, I have no love of superhero films. I don't see them. The Joker is not a superhero film.  I don't do crowds either. They pretty much have that part figured out. Since you can pick your seat and time ahead of time, it's not too big an issue. they even have booze now.

If you only have one drink.....I think by the time the film is over, you're good.
(10-23-2019, 06:42 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yep, I've had an unusual week, seen two movies in a week. I can go months and see nothing, but this week, both films which were popular films are going out soon and only about 10 or so people there.  Although, the thing I don't like about the assigned seating is you can get stuck to a person eating popcorn and slurping coke, and I HATE that.  Like a Nebraska feed lot.  Grrrr.

Laughing Laughing

I can't understand that at all, I was likely in my teens the last time I paid for anything at a theater besides the ticket. These people that sit down with monster sized drinks and a feed tub of popcorn must be allergic to money.
(10-24-2019, 06:39 AM)GPnative Wrote:

I can't understand that at all, I was likely in my teens the last time I paid for anything at a theater besides the ticket. These people that sit down with monster sized drinks and a feed tub of popcorn must be allergic to money.

Well, that's an interesting point.  I've heard many people talk about their movie going expenses.  One thing I've heard over the years is that it's "...so expensive..."  What's expensive?  When I ask, they talk about "Well, there are the tickets, and the popcorn and drinks and ice cream and candy..."   I think that's nuts.  I'll ask why do they buy that stuff, and they nearly always say that if they go to the movies, all that candy and junk is a de rigueur part of the overall experience.  They experience movies as an event that requires these specific foods in order to be satisfying. I never buy any of that stuff.  They now have an instituted policy against big purses and bags wich they say, is about safety, but we all know it's about people bringing in their own food.  A bottle of water at the movie theater cost 6 bucks and they won't let you bring your own in.  But I don't care. I never bring anything in. I just don't like sitting next to someone who has it.
(10-24-2019, 07:23 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 04:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I like watching movies but I haven't actually set foot in a theater in probably ten years. I've thought about it a few times for particular movies, but in the end I just don't want to put up with the crowd.

Well, that's an interesting point.  I've heard many people talk about their movie going expenses.  One thing I've heard over the years is that it's "...so expensive..."  What's expensive?  When I ask, they talk about "Well, there are the tickets, and the popcorn and drinks and ice cream and candy..."   I think that's nuts.  I'll ask why do they buy that stuff, and they nearly always say that if they go to the movies, all that candy and junk is a de rigueur part of the overall experience.  They experience movies as an event that requires these specific foods in order to be satisfying. I never buy any of that stuff.  They now have an instituted policy against big purses and bags wich they say, is about safety, but we all know it's about people bringing in their own food.  A bottle of water at the movie theater cost 6 bucks and they won't let you bring your own in.  But I don't care. I never bring anything in. I just don't like sitting next to someone who has it.

In my younger days my friends and I would sneak in hamburgers! Laughing 
sweatshirts/hoodies with the single big pocket in the front were great for that.

I want to see it badly. I've considered going out to see it and I haven't been to a theater in years, maybe about ten.. I like Joaquin Phoenix.
(10-23-2019, 06:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 05:07 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

If you only have one drink.....I think by the time the film is over, you're good.
 You can have a lot more than one drink and stay under .08 JFTR......

Standard Drinks and BAC
For every one drink, your BAC goes up by about 0.02 percent, so reaching a BAC of 0.08 percent takes about four to five drinks. However, that does not take into account any of the various factors that contribute to how you process alcohol.
[/url]How Many Drinks Does It Take To Reach .08 BAC?
[url=https://www.lowcostinterlock.com/recent-news/many-drinks-take-reach-08-bac/]
(10-24-2019, 09:32 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I want to see it badly. I've considered going out to see it and I haven't been to a theater in years, maybe about ten.. I like Joaquin Phoenix.
Well, he puts in quite a performance. I'm still digesting what I think of this film.  In spite of it having all the elements of what I like in a film there is something about it that I'm still uncertain about, and I'm just not quite sure what it is.  It is not, in any way, a superhero film, although it exists in that universe and is set in Gotham of course.
(10-24-2019, 09:32 AM)tvguy Wrote:

It's likely to be going out soon.
(10-24-2019, 08:19 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 07:23 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 05:19 PM)GPnative Wrote: I also hate crowds, which is why i wait until the movie has been out awhile, pushing it close to when it may even be leaving the theater, hit a mid week matinee, and crowds are non-issue, i have been the only person in a theater before, and more often then not, no more than 10 to 15.

In my younger days my friends and I would sneak in hamburgers! Laughing 
sweatshirts/hoodies with the single big pocket in the front were great for that.

My daughter told me she once took an entire pizza in. I'm not sure how, but she says she did.