Movies!
Or should I say, "Movies!" :x

It's such a cruddy day out, it entered my mind that it might be a good day to check out the local flicks and maybe go see one. NOT. The cruddy day is matched only by the cruddy selections there are in the movie theaters.

Alice in Wonderland? Gimme a break.
Brooklyn's Finest? Oh, great, another depressing cop movie.
Shutter Island? How about 'Shut Up Island'? More silly stuff.
Green Zone? Gee, searching for WMDs that don't exist. Right up my alley. Uh, not.
She's Out of My League? I'm not in high school anymore.
Cop Out? A copper comedy with Bruce Willis. Gee, I can hear the toilets flushing now for effect. Big yucks.

I guess we'll stay here and watch our taped "Masterpiece Theater" shows. Not that they are bad, but a tv show as opposed to sitting in a theater, watching a 'real' movie and eating popcorn? Sad
BAH!
TennisMom Wrote:Or should I say, "Movies!" :x
Shutter Island? How about 'Shut Up Island'? More silly stuff.

Haven't seen that, but I read a lot of reviews, and apparently most people either loved it or hated it, which at least sounds promising.
Went out in the rain with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" to see Crazy Heart.

I liked it. But...
I dunno...
Maybe I was just expecting too much. But don't let me keep you from seeing it.

Good popcorn, and cold drinks, and only cost $197.25
WKYonc Wrote:Went out in the rain with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" to see Crazy Heart.

I liked it. But...
I dunno...

Is that still playing? TM didn't mention it. Loved it.
Prospero Wrote:
WKYonc Wrote:Went out in the rain with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" to see Crazy Heart.

I liked it. But...
I dunno...

Of course you loved it you Pinko Commie Tax and Spend Liberal Hippie long haired Obama Lover.
I mean, it's about a drunk who has too much sex and does not read Mother Jones.
Hold it!
Hey...he's one of us.
Never mind.
Going to take the kiddos to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D today. Smiling
broadzilla Wrote:Going to take the kiddos to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D today. Smiling

That should be a real treat! Makes me wish I was a kid. Report back please.
WKYonc Wrote:
broadzilla Wrote:Going to take the kiddos to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D today. Smiling

That should be a real treat! Makes me wish I was a kid. Report back please.
Funky movie...kids enjoyed it. For me it was just time off from having to harp at them to get along. Smiling

I liked it. But...
I dunno...

I know you told me before it was a spoiler to say so, but it was really a genre film and if Jeff Bridges hadn't been as good in it as it was, I doubt it would have even made a blip on the radar. Well, T-bone Burnett's music was a plus.
â??Crazy Heartâ?? seems too much like â??Tender Merciesâ??, a movie that garnered Robert Duvall an Oscar. Seems like Kris Kristofferson wouldâ??ve been a better choice for the role but maybe it was a deal to get Bridgesâ?? his Oscarâ?¦.

mixpix Wrote: â??Crazy Heartâ?? seems too much like â??Tender Merciesâ??, a movie that garnered Robert Duvall an Oscar. Seems like Kris Kristofferson wouldâ??ve been a better choice for the role but maybe it was a deal to get Bridgesâ?? his Oscarâ?¦.

He would have been quite a bit older. Perhaps too old to pull off the age differences, seems it seems to be a kind of midlife crisis thing. I actually don't think Kristofferson would have offered anything special the role. And it did give Bridges a chance to show some actual acting. Whether that was a 'deal' or not, I don't know.
Prospero Wrote:

I liked it. But...
I dunno...

Yes, Prosp, I read the reviews. How many movies are out there about down-and-out losers with actors who get to showcase talents of how seedy and slobbery they can be? I like Jeff Bridges, but, I mean. Watching him show how debased he's become after being a big star has as much appeal as watching a spider eat a fly.

And what's with all the hullabaloo about 'Hangover'? What a dopey, college-frat-humor movie. My DD insisted we watch it all together because of how 'funny' it was. Some parts were funny but completely forgettable.
I have not seen The Hangover. I think it's the new 40 year old virgin. That was very popular but it didn't really do much for me.
Tia Wrote:I have not seen The Hangover. I think it's the new 40 year old virgin. That was very popular but it didn't really do much for me.
I liked it. A lot more than 40 year old virgin. I am disappointed that they are making a sequel though. It should stand alone.
TennisMom Wrote:
Prospero Wrote:

I liked it. But...
I dunno...

Yes, Prosp, I read the reviews. How many movies are out there about down-and-out losers with actors who get to showcase talents of how seedy and slobbery they can be? I like Jeff Bridges, but, I mean. Watching him show how debased he's become after being a big star has as much appeal as watching a spider eat a fly.

Well.
Debased?
I'm not going to buy the DVD, but he did an good job of portraying a down and out country singer. I guess you feel he should not have accepted the part?
But I can understand you point of view: Based on the reviews, I have never seen The Sound of Music because I did not want to drown in saccharine puff about the exaggerated accomplishments of a family and the dancing nanny. But, I'll be the hills were alive with the sound of music. A first.
Tia Wrote:I have not seen The Hangover. I think it's the new 40 year old virgin. That was very popular but it didn't really do much for me.

I made the most of that movie by skipping it entirely. Happy
TennisMom Wrote:

Hey TM?
How you seen a movie any better than The Visitor this year?
Off the top of my head, I don't think I have.
Maybe Debbie Does Dallas XXV11...naw, not even that classic drama.
Tia Wrote:
mixpix Wrote: â??Crazy Heartâ?? seems too much like â??Tender Merciesâ??, a movie that garnered Robert Duvall an Oscar. Seems like Kris Kristofferson wouldâ??ve been a better choice for the role but maybe it was a deal to get Bridgesâ?? his Oscarâ?¦.

He would have been quite a bit older. Perhaps too old to pull off the age differences, seems it seems to be a kind of midlife crisis thing. I actually don't think Kristofferson would have offered anything special the role. And it did give Bridges a chance to show some actual acting. Whether that was a 'deal' or not, I don't know.

I agree Tia. I'm a HUGE Kristofferson fan. Of his writing...his singing, not so much! May have been others who could have played the part well, but Bridges did it well enough to get the statue. I too liked Tender Mercies MiPix. Duvall is a piece of work!
And speaking of Kristofferson (I was!) may I suggest a simple little song he wrote "in honor" of Grapes of Wrath. It's called Here Comes That Rainbow Again. I think it's a real delight.
I was the first "Black King Of Oakie Pop". That's a short movie. In Buck Owen's lobby. Buck and Rose were a perfect pair.
Wonky Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:

Hey TM?
How you seen a movie any better than The Visitor this year?
Off the top of my head, I don't think I have.
Maybe Debbie Does Dallas XXV11...naw, not even that classic drama.

A better full-length feature film better than "The Visitor"? No, not really.
The DH and I watched some kick-ass Netflix stuff from the UK.
We're presently wrapped up in a documentary about WW1. Dry, I know, but fascinating. I can't get over the hundred-year old film footage and pictures of an archaic, fuss-and-feathers monarchy.