Movies!
Wonky Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
mixpix Wrote: â??Crazy Heartâ?? seems too much like â??Tender Merciesâ??, a movie that garnered Robert Duvall an Oscar. Seems like Kris Kristofferson wouldâ??ve been a better choice for the role but maybe it was a deal to get Bridgesâ?? his Oscarâ?¦.

He would have been quite a bit older. Perhaps too old to pull off the age differences, seems it seems to be a kind of midlife crisis thing. I actually don't think Kristofferson would have offered anything special the role. And it did give Bridges a chance to show some actual acting. Whether that was a 'deal' or not, I don't know.

I agree Tia. I'm a HUGE Kristofferson fan. Of his writing...his singing, not so much! May have been others who could have played the part well, but Bridges did it well enough to get the statue. I too liked Tender Mercies MiPix. Duvall is a piece of work!
And speaking of Kristofferson (I was!) may I suggest a simple little song he wrote "in honor" of Grapes of Wrath. It's called Here Comes That Rainbow Again. I think it's a real delight.

And Duvall was in Crazy Heart.

Do mean Kristofferson's SONG writing?
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
Tia Wrote:He would have been quite a bit older. Perhaps too old to pull off the age differences, seems it seems to be a kind of midlife crisis thing. I actually don't think Kristofferson would have offered anything special the role. And it did give Bridges a chance to show some actual acting. Whether that was a 'deal' or not, I don't know.

I agree Tia. I'm a HUGE Kristofferson fan. Of his writing...his singing, not so much! May have been others who could have played the part well, but Bridges did it well enough to get the statue. I too liked Tender Mercies MiPix. Duvall is a piece of work!
And speaking of Kristofferson (I was!) may I suggest a simple little song he wrote "in honor" of Grapes of Wrath. It's called Here Comes That Rainbow Again. I think it's a real delight.

And Duvall was in Crazy Heart.

Do mean Kristofferson's SONG writing?

Yea, should have made that clear. And, I really only admire about a third of the stuff he wrote. But, I understand he wanted to make money too.
He did write a couple of short stories but not very good. They were written (I think) while he was a student (Rhodes Scholar) in England, and are hard to find. May have be a university press.
Yea, Duvall did his journeyman best again. Both Duvall and I are getting old. I look better. Wink
Do we all remember Duvall in his (I think) first movie? To Kill A Mockingbird. Do we remember what character he played?
Movies are fun. And sometimes instructive. Sometimes just bad. Risky, this stuff, huh?
Boo!
Tia Wrote:Boo!

Damn, you are right. I was thinking "Bow", yet it didn't sound right and I was too lazy to look it up.
Harper Lee did herself proud with her story. "Scout", one of the best characters ever. "Stand up children, you Father is passin' by". I'm sure I blew the line, but not the sentiment.

Gregory Peck. Ya know, I liked actors before they started studying about it. Marlon Brando (albeit a good actor) came with the "method" and look what we got...Sean Penn. I mean, he's good, but damn! So intense! Just act son, you don't have to live it.

Don't you hate it when old people start to ramble?
I don't hate it when old people start to ramble.

It's when politicians start doing it that makes my nose twitch.
TennisMom Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:I made the most of that movie by skipping it entirely. Happy

Hey TM?
How you seen a movie any better than The Visitor this year?
Off the top of my head, I don't think I have.
Maybe Debbie Does Dallas XXV11...naw, not even that classic drama.

A better full-length feature film better than "The Visitor"? No, not really.
The DH and I watched some kick-ass Netflix stuff from the UK.
We're presently wrapped up in a documentary about WW1. Dry, I know, but fascinating. I can't get over the hundred-year old film footage and pictures of an archaic, fuss-and-feathers monarchy.

Strange coincidence. I just watched the 1st CD of The First World War, a series including several discs. Produced in England I think. Yea, I too was amazed at the film footage that they found. Not a bit dry. I read a bit recently saying that to understand the modern world, one had to know the details of the 1st world war. I'm anxious to see the rest. I had no clue that the events in China were so important to that war, or that the Muslim world was so involved. One of the reasons I'm a fan of Netflix is the availability of things like this.

LATER: Well YEA, from England. As you pointed out and I overlooked. I'm old. Truth is, I was a scatter brain when young.
Wonky Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Boo!

Damn, you are right. I was thinking "Bow", yet it didn't sound right and I was too lazy to look it up.
Harper Lee did herself proud with her story. "Scout", one of the best characters ever. "Stand up children, you Father is passin' by". I'm sure I blew the line, but not the sentiment.

Gregory Peck. Ya know, I liked actors before they started studying about it. Marlon Brando (albeit a good actor) came with the "method" and look what we got...Sean Penn. I mean, he's good, but damn! So intense! Just act son, you don't have to live it.

Don't you hate it when old people start to ramble?

Boo (Arthur) Radley.

Off topic: Quote from TKM:
Quote: I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year

Also, kind of weird or interesting, that the character of 'Dill' is based on Truman Capote.
mixpix Wrote: â??Crazy Heartâ?? seems too much like â??Tender Merciesâ??, a movie that garnered Robert Duvall an Oscar. Seems like Kris Kristofferson wouldâ??ve been a better choice for the role but maybe it was a deal to get Bridgesâ?? his Oscarâ?¦.

Chris K can't sing at all.
George Clooney's ..*Up in the Air*

IMO it Stunk like stagnant canal water. But what do I know all the film critics thought it was great :wacko:
tvguy Wrote:

Okay, now we have an argument.
He can't sing well.
But on those songs he wrote to express something more than just "love gone south", his lousy voice expresses very well the content of his story.
Thinking of Shandy, or Stallion. Maybe Who's to Bless and who's to blame, The Law is for the Protection of the People, and Stranger.
Kind of like Bob Dillon and The Times they are A' Changin'
Or Leonard Cohen with Bird on a Wire.
Of course I'm right.
You're wrong, and you are lucky we didn't bet.
Razz
Wonky Wrote:Yea, Duvall did his journeyman best again. Both Duvall and I are getting old. I look better. Wink
Do we all remember Duvall in his (I think) first movie? To Kill A Mockingbird. Do we remember what character he played?
Movies are fun. And sometimes instructive. Sometimes just bad. Risky, this stuff, huh?

I thought Duvall's best performance was in The Apostle in 1997. He was nominated for Best Actor, but lost to Jack Nicholson, who basically was doing his patented schtick, which I enjoy greatly, but I thought Duvall's portrayal of an errant evangelical minister was way better.
tvguy Wrote:George Clooney's ..*Up in the Air*

IMO it Stunk like stagnant canal water. But what do I know all the film critics thought it was great :wacko:

Really? I thought it was worth the few bucks I paid to see it.
I'm always curious when folks say something like "IMO it stunk like stagnant canal water" but offer no remarks to explain the opinion. Not that it's required of course.
Prospero Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:Yea, Duvall did his journeyman best again. Both Duvall and I are getting old. I look better. Wink

I thought Duvall's best performance was in The Apostle in 1997. He was nominated for Best Actor, but lost to Jack Nicholson, who basically was doing his patented schtick, which I enjoy greatly, but I thought Duvall's portrayal of an errant evangelical minister was way better.

Yea, he WAS that guy.
Also good in The Great Santini , but I guess I'll always feel his best role was Gus in Lonesome Dove.
Wonky Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

He can't sing well.
But on those songs he wrote to express something more than just "love gone south", his lousy voice expresses very well the content of his story.
Thinking of Shandy, or Stallion. Maybe Who's to Bless and who's to blame, The Law is for the Protection of the People, and Stranger.
Of course I'm right.
Razz

Dylan. That's kinda like misspelling Shakespeare. Although, not to be misconstrued with a spelling Nazi. Wink
Just watched Old Dogs with the kiddos...good for a few real belly laughs!
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Chris K can't sing at all.

He can't sing well.
Of course I'm right.
Razz

Dylan. That's kinda like misspelling Shakespeare. Although, not to be misconstrued with a spelling Nazi. Wink

You are right! I'm embarrassed. But trust me, it will happen again. I'm more stoopid that embarrassed.
broadzilla Wrote:Just watched Old Dogs with the kiddos...good for a few real belly laughs!

Hey BZ, can't remember the kid's ages. If old enough, I suggest Napoleon Dynamite.
Wonky Wrote:
broadzilla Wrote:Just watched Old Dogs with the kiddos...good for a few real belly laughs!

Hey BZ, can't remember the kid's ages. If old enough, I suggest Napoleon Dynamite.
I couldn't stand ND when my eldest brought it home a few years back...he's 19 now.
I know my 11 yr old would love it...but I wouldn't be able to put up with him having it on.
My 10 yr old daughter does not need to see it.

Any other recommendations?
Quote:Wonky.... Really? I thought it was worth the few bucks I paid to see it.
I'm always curious when folks say something like "IMO it stunk like stagnant canal water" but offer no remarks to explain the opinion. Not that it's required of course.

I was bored too often, it all seemed slow to develop, the plot was plodding. The people ...Clooney , his boss his traveling tramp girl friend were all just a little bit TOO clever and witty and quick to be real.

The entire premise that a huge company that fired people was going to go on line but changed once a person committed suicide was tough to believe as was the entire movie.

Lonesome dove was a masterpiece and Duvall was the best I have ever seen him before and since.
Strangely enough, I really liked Duvall in "Falling Down". It wasn't a major role for sure ... but he made it interesting.