What does this mean?
When I look at the list of forum topics, along the left hand column headed "TOPICS", each topic has a blue circle on the left with what looks like a block of text inside. Sometimes the block of text for a topic is sitting still, and sometimes it's scrolling. I can't figure what difference it makes, but there must be some reason. What does it mean? Why does the text "scroll" inside that blue circle for certain topics, while for other topics that block of text just sits there???
I believe it indicates active, inactive or subsiding topics.
The two "basic" topic icons are [Image: topic_read.gif] "read" and [Image: topic_unread.gif] "unread"; "read" means that there have been no new posts since your last visit, and "unread" means there have been. Since the colors can be a little hard to see, topics with unread posts also have a [Image: icon_topic_newest.gif] "newest unread post" icon, which when clicked takes you to the first unread post in the topic.

The [Image: topic_read_hot.gif] "popular" topics are ones with more than 25 posts (the same coloring of the icons takes place for new posts).

The [Image: topic_read_mine.gif] "participated" topics are ones which you have posted in.

These can also be combined: [Image: topic_read_hot_mine.gif]

There are a few other "special" styles, such as [Image: topic_read_locked.gif] "locked" topics, and [Image: announce_read.gif] "announcement" topics (viewed at the top of all forum categories), and [Image: sticky_read.gif] "sticky" topics (viewed at the top of only a specific forum category).

The combinations can get crazy sometimes.

This is what a locked announcement topic that I've posted in looks like: [Image: announce_read_locked_mine.gif]

This is a locked sticky topic that I've posted in: [Image: sticky_read_locked_mine.gif]

Clear as mud? Big Grin
Hey K,
That thing above is worse than the test I took to get into paint scrapping school!

I'm just going to ignore it. If I need to know anything about it, I'll do what everyone else does and ask Tia. She's been doing this since right after World War Two.
kgasso Wrote:The two "basic" topic icons are [Image: topic_read.gif] "read" and [Image: topic_unread.gif] "unread"; "read" means that there have been no new posts since your last visit, and "unread" means there have been. Since the colors can be a little hard to see, topics with unread posts also have a [Image: icon_topic_newest.gif] "newest unread post" icon, which when clicked takes you to the first unread post in the topic.

The [Image: topic_read_hot.gif] "popular" topics are ones with more than 25 posts (the same coloring of the icons takes place for new posts).

The [Image: topic_read_mine.gif] "participated" topics are ones which you have posted in.

These can also be combined: [Image: topic_read_hot_mine.gif]

There are a few other "special" styles, such as [Image: topic_read_locked.gif] "locked" topics, and [Image: announce_read.gif] "announcement" topics (viewed at the top of all forum categories), and [Image: sticky_read.gif] "sticky" topics (viewed at the top of only a specific forum category).

The combinations can get crazy sometimes.

This is what a locked announcement topic that I've posted in looks like: [Image: announce_read_locked_mine.gif]

This is a locked sticky topic that I've posted in: [Image: sticky_read_locked_mine.gif]

Clear as mud? Big Grin
OK, thanks. I had no idea. But those sure are some quirky, esoteric looking symbols. I'm surprised you don't have an on-line explanation somewhere, for as much effort as somebody must have put in to program all that stuff onto the page. But thanks, anyway!