What's for dinner?
TooAnxious Wrote:
Larry Wrote:
bbqboy Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWD...r_embedded
Big Grin Thanks for that one. Janis was a rare orchid amongst roses in my opinon. Sad to think that such a talent could NEVER be cultivated in todays climate. She would have been laughed out of American Idol in round one. Kind of makes you wonder what we are all missing with our subjective viewpoints, doesn't it?

We had better drugs then. Smiling Released the mind to recognize the truly cosmic . . . sigh!
I'm sure those drugs are still around. Maybe we just don't know where to find them.
bbqboy Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWD...r_embedded
one of my absolute if not most favorite janis songs. thanks. Smiling
matilija Wrote:is a boudin when they boil all of the seafood and pour it out onto the table and people eat en masse?
i just learned about this on a show about houma people. the chief/chef poured a 10lb bag of salt into the pot along with everything else....then i watched a woman cut up an alligator and fry up the meat. amazing.
No Mati, boudin is a meat or seafood and rice mix that is put into sausage like links. I like the craw fish boudin. Here is a link with photos.

http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/ ... boudin.htm
matilija Wrote:is a boudin when they boil all of the seafood and pour it out onto the table and people eat en masse?
i just learned about this on a show about houma people. the chief/chef poured a 10lb bag of salt into the pot along with everything else....then i watched a woman cut up an alligator and fry up the meat. amazing.
That sounds like a boil. Not always seafood as crawfish boils are the most common (crawfish are freashwater crustacians). Salt makes the live shell fish "purge" before they cook so you aren't eating their waste when you pinch their tails and suck the heads.
Oh...Man...I am making myself hoooongry.
Larry Wrote:
bbqboy Wrote:We used to eat the catfish we caught.
Now it is farm raised, but still wonderful.
Memories of my youth, catching midnight catfish at Howard Prairie and cooking them on the spot. Then they took over the lake and were killed off... Damn trout lovers anyways.... They are all racist against catfish, don't you think? Razz

Anyone else eat local catfish?
i've never had catfish in my life.
but, speaking of southern regional foods...
in the early 70's i was a cook in logging camp in idaho..it was a small "operation". one of the logger guy's dad and sister flew out from one of those gulf states to visit us for a week and brought a huge coleman cooler full of huge shrimp. the dad brought all the spices - saffron, cloves, and everything else for a shrimp jambalaya. i thought i'd died and gone to heaven.
Tia Wrote:
Larry Wrote:
Memories of my youth, catching midnight catfish at Howard Prairie and cooking them on the spot. Then they took over the lake and were killed off... Damn trout lovers anyways.... They are all racist against catfish, don't you think? Razz

It's been YEARS for me, but I will ask around if there are still good catfish lakes. Do NOT eat them from Agate Lake.

I am thinking Medco Pond, do you know where it is?
Well, I can't say I've EVER been fishing in this State. I see Medco pond is kind of out there. Looks like it is nice and quiet there. What makes the difference in where the catfish are caught?
Tia Wrote:Well, I can't say I've EVER been fishing in this State. I see Medco pond is kind of out there. Looks like it is nice and quiet there. What makes the difference in where the catfish are caught?
Low lakes with warm water will give you a "muddy" flavor. I don't care for it. I know that seems strange, given that they live in the "muddy" bottoms of any lake, but higher lakes with greater depths yield better tasting catfish. If the damn racist trout folks haven't made Fish and Wildlife kill them off....
Larry Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Well, I can't say I've EVER been fishing in this State. I see Medco pond is kind of out there. Looks like it is nice and quiet there. What makes the difference in where the catfish are caught?
Low lakes with warm water will give you a "muddy" flavor. I don't care for it. I know that seems strange, given that they live in the "muddy" bottoms of any lake, but higher lakes with greater depths yield better tasting catfish. If the damn racist trout folks haven't made Fish and Wildlife kill them off....

So, catfish from say, the expo ponds would not be good? Really, trout? Catfish, two different ecospheres. It's a problem?
Tia Wrote:
Larry Wrote:

Years ago when we first moved to Oregon, we lived in Sams Valley and had a big pond. It was well stocked with catfish. My 3 year old DD had the most wonderful time catching them on her Snoopy fishing pole. DH couldn't bait her hook fast enough. She had one on her line at all times. I cooked them so she could see the end result of her fun, but I am always afraid of the bones.
Tia Wrote:
Larry Wrote:

So, catfish from say, the expo ponds would not be good? Really, trout? Catfish, two different ecospheres. It's a problem?
I am not familiar with fish from the expo. I suspect the catfish from there are probably "ok", but not representative of what high lake catfish USED to be. I don't know if we have any high lake catfish anymore. It has been a long time.
But...why would trout and catfish be an issue...Catfish are on the bottom, Trout are nearer the surface. Surely they can co exist.
Cometmom Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
Larry Wrote:Memories of my youth, catching midnight catfish at Howard Prairie and cooking them on the spot. Then they took over the lake and were killed off... Damn trout lovers anyways.... They are all racist against catfish, don't you think? Razz

Years ago when we first moved to Oregon, we lived in Sams Valley and had a big pond. It was well stocked with catfish. My 3 year old DD had the most wonderful time catching them on her Snoopy fishing pole. DH couldn't bait her hook fast enough. She had one on her line at all times. I cooked them so she could see the end result of her fun, but I am always afraid of the bones.

I thought catfish was one of the fish where the bones just pull off and aren't an issue?
Tonight I fried up 2 chickens. Happy Garlic fries, corn and cowboy bread from the growers market on Hillcrest. Got the last of their peaches and made a cobbler. Kids ended up not coming over so I have enough chicken to last all weekend.
Tia Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Anyone else eat local catfish?

I thought catfish was one of the fish where the bones just pull off and aren't an issue?

I always find some wayward little bones that you could choke on.
Tia Wrote:But...why would trout and catfish be an issue...Catfish are on the bottom, Trout are nearer the surface. Surely they can co exist.
In the mountain lakes, the cats seem to take over after awhile, and the trout fishermen complain that they catch too many of them in ratio to the trout. Then they do a fish kill, and reintroduce the trout. About every 20-25 years it seems.
Mmm, If anyone knows of a good Louisiana cookbook- send the name my way. Eventually I'd love to make a migration to that area of the country (well, hubby does to). Its just such an amazing fusion of foods and cooking styles.

For salmon, funny cause I actually don't eat the stuff but hubby and the boys do, I mix some mustard, some dill, and either a tiny bit of brown sugar or honey and spread over the steaks and broil for a minute or two.

Last night was butternut squash ravioli (courtesy of costco) with a brown sugar and sage sauce. Amazingly enough (well, maybe not too amazing given the sugar content of the sauce) the veggie-phobic middle child inhaled them. Tonight, hubby is working and it is left over night.
reelo Wrote:Mmm, If anyone knows of a good Louisiana cookbook- send the name my way. Eventually I'd love to make a migration to that area of the country (well, hubby does to). Its just such an amazing fusion of foods and cooking styles.

For salmon, funny cause I actually don't eat the stuff but hubby and the boys do, I mix some mustard, some dill, and either a tiny bit of brown sugar or honey and spread over the steaks and broil for a minute or two.

Last night was butternut squash ravioli (courtesy of costco) with a brown sugar and sage sauce. Amazingly enough (well, maybe not too amazing given the sugar content of the sauce) the veggie-phobic middle child inhaled them. Tonight, hubby is working and it is left over night.
Well, there's New Orleans, Louisiana, and Southern Cookbooks.
The Baton Rouge Junior League is very popular, but I have one from Lafayette that is really nice.
Has a whole Gumbo section like other cookbooks have cake recipes Razz
Here is an enlightening thread on Southern Cookbooks, which are some of the ones I keep rather than resell.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/522486
Definitely New Orleans or cajun. Southern wise, the fam-dam-ily is largely midwestern and southern, so we have a lot of family recipes for the more southern cooking. I mean, if I needed to out could out gooey butter Paula Deen (she uses a cake mix!).

I keep hoping if I'm a good daughter in law I'll eventually inherit hubby's grandmothers old cast iron pans (not that I would ever hope anything happened to my MIL, I actually adore her).

But I have visions of beignets and chicory coffee for breakfast one morning.