The Travel Topic
Wiggliepom Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:
Quote: There are not many sharks in Fiji.

It only takes ONE!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just kidding Clete and I promise not to laugh when you get stung by a box jelly Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YPZSN7 ... re=related

Hi Cletus, hope you had a wonderful time in Fiji like I did visiting the Mexican Riviera again. I wish I had seen this topic before you left for Fiji, because I could have given you a tip about sharks and if they are going to attack. If their two side fins are heading down (like they are in this video) they are not hungry, but when those same two fins are heading straight out sideways, then be careful, they are on a food hunt. I was taught this when I volunteered at Marineland in Los Angeles. Another way you could tell these fish were not hungry was that they did now swallow their food quickly like they do on a hunt.

I had a wonderful trip and I am so lucky, because when I look at the Carnival Splendor webcam, that is the same view that I had from my room. I saw humpback whales (and their babies), I got to see my very first Blue Whale which was exciting. At least I got home the day that all the big storms were just starting in Los Angeles, but I was really surprised that there was hardly any snow on Hwy 140. The only place that had snow was at that rest area.
Thanks Wigglie, I had a great time and I'm glad you did too. I wish I had the shark info before I left for Fiji. I got real tired having to out swim those critters. Wink Laughing Are you already looking forward to your next vacation? I know I am. I have never taken a cruise. I thought the cabins looked small and escaping the crowd only to go to my cabin seemed like a waste of a vacation. You seem to enjoy them though, as do other friends of mine.
Now we're back from Tucson and I loved it. Wanna live there. If we leave the Airstream here, we can spend July and August on the coast and get out of the worst of the heat.

In April I'm headed to Orlando to hang out with my sister and her kids. I've never been and will probably go to Epcot rather than Disney World. We may do a quick overnight in Coco Beach. I would REALLY like that. Smiling
cletus1 Wrote:
Wiggliepom Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:It only takes ONE!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just kidding Clete and I promise not to laugh when you get stung by a box jelly Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YPZSN7 ... re=related

Hi Cletus, hope you had a wonderful time in Fiji like I did visiting the Mexican Riviera again. I wish I had seen this topic before you left for Fiji, because I could have given you a tip about sharks and if they are going to attack. If their two side fins are heading down (like they are in this video) they are not hungry, but when those same two fins are heading straight out sideways, then be careful, they are on a food hunt. I was taught this when I volunteered at Marineland in Los Angeles. Another way you could tell these fish were not hungry was that they did now swallow their food quickly like they do on a hunt.

I had a wonderful trip and I am so lucky, because when I look at the Carnival Splendor webcam, that is the same view that I had from my room. I saw humpback whales (and their babies), I got to see my very first Blue Whale which was exciting. At least I got home the day that all the big storms were just starting in Los Angeles, but I was really surprised that there was hardly any snow on Hwy 140. The only place that had snow was at that rest area.
Thanks Wigglie, I had a great time and I'm glad you did too. I wish I had the shark info before I left for Fiji. I got real tired having to out swim those critters. Wink Laughing Are you already looking forward to your next vacation? I know I am. I have never taken a cruise. I thought the cabins looked small and escaping the crowd only to go to my cabin seemed like a waste of a vacation. You seem to enjoy them though, as do other friends of mine.

Cletus, here is a picture of my room and it was not small at all. The inside cabins are a little smaller, but the Oceanview (like I had) and the Balcony rooms are large.

[Image: CarnivalSplendorromm9292.jpg]

I have another cruise coming up in May and one in November. The one in May is going to Alaska and the one in November is going to places in Mexico that I have not been to before. I really think you should consider a cruise, I know that you will have so much fun and to be honest, you will not spend much time in your room. If you go to the Carnival Webcam (Here is the link) and choose Carnival Splendor, that is the picture that I got to see out of my window everyday because the webcam was right above my cabins window. I was amazed at how nice the weather was, but it is starting to get hot down there, so everyone says the best time to go is in the winter, which I agree with. I am really excited for the Alaska cruise, I can't wait to see Orca whales up close.

So when is your next vacation?
Wow, Wigglie, you are quite the cruisin' lady. GOOD for you, enjoy! Someday I wanna do all that stuff too.
Wiggliepom Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
Wiggliepom Wrote:Hi Cletus, hope you had a wonderful time in Fiji like I did visiting the Mexican Riviera again. I wish I had seen this topic before you left for Fiji, because I could have given you a tip about sharks and if they are going to attack. If their two side fins are heading down (like they are in this video) they are not hungry, but when those same two fins are heading straight out sideways, then be careful, they are on a food hunt. I was taught this when I volunteered at Marineland in Los Angeles. Another way you could tell these fish were not hungry was that they did now swallow their food quickly like they do on a hunt.

Cletus, here is a picture of my room and it was not small at all. The inside cabins are a little smaller, but the Oceanview (like I had) and the Balcony rooms are large.

[Image: CarnivalSplendorromm9292.jpg]

I have another cruise coming up in May and one in November. The one in May is going to Alaska and the one in November is going to places in Mexico that I have not been to before. I really think you should consider a cruise, I know that you will have so much fun and to be honest, you will not spend much time in your room. If you go to the Carnival Webcam (Here is the link) and choose Carnival Splendor, that is the picture that I got to see out of my window everyday because the webcam was right above my cabins window. I was amazed at how nice the weather was, but it is starting to get hot down there, so everyone says the best time to go is in the winter, which I agree with. I am really excited for the Alaska cruise, I can't wait to see Orca whales up close.

So when is your next vacation?

Sorry for the late response Wiggliepom, but I am in the Early stage of planning our next vacation. We have some prospects, but we not finalize untill later this summer. I have a friend that lives on the big Island of Hawaii that wants us to visit, but I do not want to use another vacation for Hawaii. I want to see and experience other places.

I recently had an idea for a multi destination vacation. For example: Hawaii for 4 days, then to Koh Samui in Thailand for a week, then to the Yasawa Islands in Fiji for the final week. I don't yet know how much such a vacation would cost, but we could stay with friends in Hawaii and use time share credits for the rest. Airline tickets and meals would be the biggest costs and that might be too much.

Your room on the cruise ship looks very nice. One of these days I may take one.
My sister and her husband managed to have a big fight over the trip to Orlando and it got solved by my ex-bro-in-law taking the kids. :roll: No problem for me, I don't care about Disney World. So, I'll be headed to NY for two weeks on April 2 and will be back on the 15th.

I'm also getting psyched about 'trailer season'. Must get the Airstream up to snuff so we can take her out on the road. We want to buy a screen room to set up outside which my DH can also sleep in. The beds in the trailer are too short for him. :eek: So, the screen room has to have privacy screens. MAN, they AIN'T CHEAP. Twitch
TennisMom Wrote:I'm also getting psyched about 'trailer season'. Must get the Airstream up to snuff so we can take her out on the road. We want to buy a screen room to set up outside which my DH can also sleep in. The beds in the trailer are too short for him. :eek: So, the screen room has to have privacy screens. MAN, they AIN'T CHEAP. Twitch

I'm wondering if the "Other Half," is going to fit in the bed on this little Motorhome we bought. I suggested he try it out and still haven't any idea if he did. My being alittle over 5 ft. campers beds and such has never been a problem and growing up have slept in some odd places. I'm just hopeing the darn thing is firm and comfortable, which has become a problem.
Awesome, Cletus! Fiji?!?! I would LOVE to go there some day. Looks amazing!
Thanks for giving Clete's topic a bump, Scrapper. I am on my way to NY as I type this. Cannot wait to be off this godforsaken plane. When I get back, the DH and I are going to the Columbia River Gorge by way of Bend. Now that is a trip to look forward to...
TM, that is a beautiful area- we pretty regularly drive through it between here and CA- usually hitting the Columbia near Pasco/ Pendleton and heading along towards Portland. It gets pretty windy though.

Gearing up for London next month, hotels have been reserved in London and Edinburgh. Tickets have been bought, sites have been scoped out and now it's all about the excitement (building) and starting to pack. Smiling
Here is an idea for a weekend get away or an overnighter that is cheap and fun, assuming you like the coast and sightseeing. You can get there a few ways but for the purpose of this journey I made a left at Roseburg and stopped before I ran into the Ocean. If you go North on Highway 101, stop at the Oregon Dunes Overlook and hike into the Oregon Dunes. It is beautiful.

Eat lunch in Reedsport of Winchester Bay and pick up some Winchester Bay oysters. They are specialty oysters that have a delicate flavor. These oysters are shipped to some of the best restaurants on the East Coast. Further North is Honeyman State Park, it is a must for nature lovers. Hike out toward the Ocean which is a couple miles west and find a perch to watch the sunset. Eat some crab at the Crab shack in Florence and get a room.

Going South from Bandon: This trip is fun in mid November weather permitting. Enjoy your morning in Bandon because there isn’t much between Bandon and Port Orford. In Bandon you can take Beach Loop Drive South to view off shore rocks including Face Rock. Lots of People like to take photos silhouetted against Face rock. Sunset is the optimum time for the best photos but early morning works too.

The West Coast Game Park is at mile marker281.5 but I don’t like game Parks so I have no information on that. At mile marker 283 there are cranberry bogs. It is interesting to watch them harvest the berries if it is happening.

Cape Blanco is the western most point in Oregon. You can tour the lighthouse through October. It is 5 miles west of Highway 101 and has a state park. Head south again and buy some cranberries for Thanksgiving dinner http://capeblancocranberries.com/photos.html and then explore Port Orford. Go find a room in Gold Beach and drink a Micro brew. Ignore the sneaker wave warning signs at the Beach and get your feet wet.
Port Orford is very neat, the ocean views are incredible and the light house is pretty darned cool (I like lighthouses though so I could be biased).
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_115.php
darlintonia wayside is really cool.
I am afraid I have been ruined. Sad
After numerous trips to the Hawaiian Islands and the Caribbean... I have come to the realization that the Oregon Coast is NOT the 'beach'. It is the 'coast'. And, while it is pretty, it just isn't the beach. Sleepy
(08-17-2011, 08:26 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I am afraid I have been ruined. Sad
After nmerous trips to the Hawaiian Islands and the Caribbean... I have come to the realization that the Oregon Coast is NOT the 'beach'. It is the 'coast'. And, while it is pretty, it just isn't the beach. Sleepy
Tropical Island vacations are my favorite too, but I am lucky to get one each year and I am not staying home for the rest of the year. I like the Oregon Coast for what it is not what it isn't.

I sure dont swim in the ocean on the Oregon Coast anymore. I cant believe I swam in that water when I was a kid and liked it.
We've been talking about the Chetco River on Facebook. I hadn't really thought about it, even though I've crossed it in Brookings a few times.

It's a wild and scenic river, and there appears to be National Forest campgrounds all over the area.

Any suggestions for a destination over there?

Pecker's Cabin looks interesting...sleeps up to 12 and is only $40 a night
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/recreation/renta...abin.shtml
I love your type-o! Laughing
There is a campground just about 2 miles up from Brookings on the Chetco that is fantastic-- I just can't remember the name of it (maybe Loeb??)-- but we used to go a couple of times every summer. You are on the Chetco and above the fogline in the trees so it is warmer but the drive into Brooking is fairly painless for day trips to the coast if you feel so inclined.
We have stayed at Loeb. It's nice but it is a first-come, first-served park.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_72.php
Okay...this may be our next excursion...thanks reelo and Value! Being above the fog line, but near Brookings sounds like the best of both worlds. Smiling