The Travel Topic
I don't think we have a travel topic, so I'm starting this one. It seems a better place to share then the WAYDREN thread even if it rarely gets used. I can wade through this topic to find a travel tip someone might have left easier the WAYDREN thread.

I enjoyed my road trip. I had never been to Malheur or Harney Counties, so it was an adventure for me. I expected to see a desolate arid land and I was not disappointed. The area is vast and looking out over some of it from a high point gave me an appreciation for its vastness. I was in the high desert most of the time. The elevation was between 4500 and 5500. The further east and south we went, the sparser the vegetation. There was mostly sage brush and grass and endless hills, cliffs, canyons and flat dry lake beds.

Along the river valleys is a totally different landscape. There is lots of agriculture which keeps much of the lower areas green. I saw miles of potatoes, sugar beets, alfalfa, corn, wheat, oats and even vineyards along some of the Snake River. I stopped and bought some Hermiston seedless watermelons for 14 cents a pound.

We stayed in Ontario the first night. This Oregon city along the Idaho border feels more like Idaho then Oregon. The local TV stations are Boise based, and interestingly, the area uses Mountain Time. The Mountain Time Zone extends approximately 75 miles into Oregon but only in this section of the state and nowhere else in the western three states. The next day we went into Idaho and ate lunch at the Kodiak Grill, a place my wife saw on the food channel located 15 miles up Highway 21 North of Boise. It had good food and itâ??s in a rural area along the Boise River.

I mentally paid my respects to JR Simplot that has a large home visible from I-84 in the hills above Boise. Potatoes have been very good for JR. Now driving back in Oregon toward the Owyhee River area, I notice (from car license plates) that there are more Idahoers (pronounced Ida Whores) in Oregon along the border than Oregonians, well maybe not, but there are plenty. They come to shop and avoid the 6% Idaho sales tax and to play. No problemo or anything, itâ??s not like we were crowded.

The Owyhee River is beautiful in that special way that rivers in arid climates are. The lush green along the narrow riparian zone contrasts sharply with the brown, yellow and grey land around it. We saw lots of wild life including Antelope, wild Donkeys and lots of birds including Egrets, Blue Herons Cranes and one Bald Eagle that was standing in a field of fresh cut alfalfa.

I could go on but I wonâ??t. Oh, one last thing, I took a detour to Goose Lake on the way back and drove down a residential street in the town of New Pine Creek where everyone living on the south side of the road was in California and north side Oregon. Why that amuses me I'm not sure.

Two photos of the Owyhee, one taken near the farmland near Rome and the other taken up on the rim. You can see why locals call it the Grand Canyon of the Owyhee.
[Image: EasternOregonJuly2009002.jpg]
[Image: EasternOregonJuly2009004.jpg]
Very cool, I would have to have done some catfishing Laughing Unlike here they have the real thing over there on the Snake.
tvguy Wrote:Very cool, I would have to have done some catfishing Laughing Unlike here they have the real thing over there on the Snake.
You are exactly right, but you knew that. I met an old boy named George that was fishing for cat fish at Ontario State Park along the Snake River. He had already caught four. I don't know if there is a limit, but he kept referring to his friends that went down river a bit. Yeah, like I'm a Fish and Game Officer. Big Grin
cletus1 Wrote:I don't think we have a travel topic, so I'm starting this one. It seems a better place to share then the WAYDREN thread even if it rarely gets used. I can wade through this topic to find a travel tip someone might have left easier the WAYDREN thread.
<Snip>

Excellent travelogue! Thanks.
Born in Western Oregon, I've always been curious about the east side of things and never got around to it.
I thought if doing it on my motorcycle, but it's a long way between gas stations in the S/E part of the country and so will most likely take the car. My wife would go if I do it by car, and she could pay for gas, food, motels, and maps. I'd take care of the rest.
Great photo's. I hope you will post more from time to time. Or, you could invite us all over for a slide show (remember those?). You could feed us cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, melon, and tomatoes. (You could steal them from the neighbor's garden where you took all the pictures you posted).
Clete, you sure do get around. I liked your description of Hawaii from a few moths back. I can still smell pineapples in the air when I think of it.

The DH and I spent a few days up at Loon Lake last week. We met Ellen Keeland, who wrote a book with her husband called, "The Lusty Life of Loon Lake Lloyd" about his life living in that part of Oregon both pre and post WW2. So far it's a hoot.

The lake is lovely but had too many motorized boats on it for my taste. I fail to see the point in zipping around in a small lake in a Big Boat with a Big Engine, although the kids being pulled around on inner tubes were having fun.

There was no phone service up there but we did have WiFi for checking e-mails. We drove down the mountain once a day to call our kids (one of whom was in China so we needed to keep current) and visit Reedsport and Winchester Bay. We had some butt-kickin' crab sandwiches and fish tacos. It was much cooler down at the shore so we made the most of it. We also got a good view of the elk and the DH took many, many pictures. The boys and girls hang in separate groups. The boys were in the designated viewing area, proudly posing for pic's. The girls were shyly ensconced at the back end of the meadow, lazing under the trees.

Back at the campground, we rented a canoe for awhile and squabbled because Captain Queeg in the steering position accused moi of leaning in to my paddle and making the boat rock. I was doing nothing of the sort and besides he steered us into some icky weeks. (People on the dock were laughing at us). I went swimming one day and the water was surprisingly chilly. Our last night we made a campfire with some wood our departing neighbors had given us. It was delightful and we in turn gave what we had left to some other folks nearby. The place was altogether bit noisy for the two of us so I don't know if we'd stay there again but if we were with a group of people with kids then we would. Perfect place for families, kids and dogs. The best hamburgers (turkey burgers) are the ones you cook on your own grill with your own cheese and veggies. Da best.
All this talk of travel makes me wish that I could just pack up and go. Never seems to work out for more then a day trip. Thought I would go somewhere more often when I retired, had a list in my head of places I would like to see. A good start would just be here in Oregon, since I have hardly gotten out of Josephine County, since I was very young and don't remember much about the trips I took with my parents. Enjoy reading about the trips that you'all have taken.
WKYonc Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:I don't think we have a travel topic, so I'm starting this one. It seems a better place to share then the WAYDREN thread even if it rarely gets used. I can wade through this topic to find a travel tip someone might have left easier the WAYDREN thread.
<Snip>

Excellent travelogue! Thanks.
Born in Western Oregon, I've always been curious about the east side of things and never got around to it.
I thought if doing it on my motorcycle, but it's a long way between gas stations in the S/E part of the country and so will most likely take the car. My wife would go if I do it by car, and she could pay for gas, food, motels, and maps. I'd take care of the rest.
Great photo's. I hope you will post more from time to time. Or, you could invite us all over for a slide show (remember those?). You could feed us cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, melon, and tomatoes. (You could steal them from the neighbor's garden where you took all the pictures you posted).

Thanks Wonk, I know going into the Oregon out back is not exotic travel, still it is next door, and now I know what next door looks like. I like local travel, it's fun.

I asked my wife if she thought the horses that I saw in a Reserve were wild Mustangs. She said no, that they were too clean. I said, "no way, we passed 25 miles with no fences or roads other then the one we are on, and the sign said Reserve and we saw Donkeys." We will never know, accusations of seeing bug masks on horses surfaced and I left her by the road. She made it home and made dinner me dinner and apologized.

I like the idea of posting some of my travels, it doesn't matter how near or how far. I think it would be a place to share if you are so inclined.
Having seen almost all of the lower 48, (except New England), I can tell you that some of the best and most scenic driving can be found right here in Oregon. Hwy 138 between Glide and Diamond Lake is awesome 365 days a year. Medford is a great spot to be located in which to start an awesome road trip. You don't have to go far in any direction to find some great places.
I went to Agate lake once Cool
Sorry TM, it is illegal to call turkeyburgers Hamburgers. This is America, after all.
tvguy Wrote:I went to Agate lake once Cool

As long as you didn't go twice... you can be forgiven.
TennisMom Wrote:Clete, you sure do get around. I liked your description of Hawaii from a few moths back. I can still smell pineapples in the air when I think of it.

The DH and I spent a few days up at Loon Lake last week. We met Ellen Keeland, who wrote a book with her husband called, "The Lusty Life of Loon Lake Lloyd" about his life living in that part of Oregon both pre and post WW2. So far it's a hoot.

The lake is lovely but had too many motorized boats on it for my taste. I fail to see the point in zipping around in a small lake in a Big Boat with a Big Engine, although the kids being pulled around on inner tubes were having fun.

There was no phone service up there but we did have WiFi for checking e-mails. We drove down the mountain once a day to call our kids (one of whom was in China so we needed to keep current) and visit Reedsport and Winchester Bay. We had some butt-kickin' crab sandwiches and fish tacos. It was much cooler down at the shore so we made the most of it. We also got a good view of the elk and the DH took many, many pictures. The boys and girls hang in separate groups. The boys were in the designated viewing area, proudly posing for pic's. The girls were shyly ensconced at the back end of the meadow, lazing under the trees.

Back at the campground, we rented a canoe for awhile and squabbled because Captain Queeg in the steering position accused moi of leaning in to my paddle and making the boat rock. I was doing nothing of the sort and besides he steered us into some icky weeks. (People on the dock were laughing at us). I went swimming one day and the water was surprisingly chilly. Our last night we made a campfire with some wood our departing neighbors had given us. It was delightful and we in turn gave what we had left to some other folks nearby. The place was altogether bit noisy for the two of us so I don't know if we'd stay there again but if we were with a group of people with kids then we would. Perfect place for families, kids and dogs. The best hamburgers (turkey burgers) are the ones you cook on your own grill with your own cheese and veggies. Da best.

You seemed to have fun. I don't do campgrounds, oh that's right, you had the Airstream, never mind. Wink

So, where is your detained daughter now.\?
GoCometsGo Wrote:

I've been there a lot. Big Grin

When I used to go on vacation I liked to tell people at work I was going to Agate lake Laughing

The truth is I really do like that little lake, it's close , clean( no gas motors) and usually not crowded, There is a LOT of access to the lake unlike some other places like Applegate or lost creek.
tvguy Wrote:
GoCometsGo Wrote:

I've been there a lot. Big Grin

When I used to go on vacation I liked to tell people at work I was going to Agate lake Laughing

The truth is I really do like that little lake, it's close , clean( no gas motors) and usually not crowded, There is a LOT of access to the lake unlike some other places like Applegate or lost creek.

I took my dogs swimming there once. Now we go to a little campground, just outside of Ruch, on the Applegate River.
Quote:I took my dogs swimming there once. Now we go to a little campground, just outside of Ruch, on the Applegate River.

I would too if Agate lake wasn't so much closer.

I actually took my dog to swim at one of the expo ponds Friday, That would be the same day and same pond they fished out some poor homeless guys body :wacko:

My dog didn't care , neither did I Smiling

I've considered it. But, just too far.

We usually vacation at The Denman Wildlife Reserve, at one of the ponds. The White City Visitor Bureau has information. The center has no phone and is never open, but if you go down to Bio-Mas and ask for Luther he will come open it. There is nothing there but Luther will tell you all about Denman. He will only tell you at the office. It's a rule. Luther says a world without rules is like a boat without a ping pong paddle. Luther's mother was a Methodist who married a pickle farmer.
But that's a whole nother story.
You know a canoe trip down Bear creek where it winds through the old LTM rock quarries is also exciting and a little known pleasure. There is a fella named Bob that lives on site in a double wide and patrols the area in his 82 Scottsdale. You should avoid him, especially days when the sunspots affect the metal plate in his head.
There is actually a place where the creek disappears through a culvert and miraculously reappears on the other side of a road Surprised . It's much like the natural bridge area on the rogue just not as well publicized.

I could go on about rare endangered species of Boneless browns that cruise the soapy topwaters and seem to always be just down stream of the waste water plant, but I won't
It occurred to me that wonky may have thought I was kidding about the body in the pond Friday.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /908020320
tvguy Wrote:It occurred to me that wonky may have thought I was kidding about the body in the pond Friday.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /908020320

You kidding? I know you never kid. Even as a kid, your folks said you were never the kind of kid who would kid another kid.
Body in a pond? Man, you must think I'm some kind of a jerk to believe that. If something like that happened it would be in our paper.
I think you are a kidder.

In reality (I really hate reality) I posted this because I wanted to keep this Topic alive. I think it's a good one.
Here's the plan.
Everyone must sign up for a trip.
Then take the trip.
Then report on the trip.
And if you did acid on the trip you have to report on both trips.
But, DO NOT report on side trips. We only have so much room here.
NOTICE: A trip must be at least 2 miles from your home. Or office, if you live in your office. (If your office is at home, figure it out yourself).
But The Travel Topic MUST stay alive at all costs!
(Reporting on past travels that happened 50 years ago or longer, must be presented with Kodak pictures).
AND: NO MORE travel reports about trips to Gold Hill. That has been done folks! All too often.
tvguy Wrote:I could go on about rare endangered species of Boneless browns that cruise the soapy topwaters and seem to always be just down stream of the waste water plant, but I won't

Those are called wrinkle necked tapered brown trout, or desert browns, depending where you're at.