The Travel Topic
(12-07-2016, 09:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote: [img][Image: 70e249f92c18976569d72d6d1f308fdf_zpstxn8icda.jpg][/img]

Fresh fruit year round. This area grows coconuts, mangos, papayas, bananas and just about everything. Avocados are grown in a area near here in large farms mostly for the US and Canada.

Thanks. Your pictures make my joints not so achy.
(12-07-2016, 04:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-07-2016, 04:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-07-2016, 04:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: If wages are NOT low in Mexico why do businesses want to move there? to get cheap mangos?

I thought I heard one of the politicians on the news say factory workers earn an average of about $2.50 an hour in Mexico. I found this regarding Carrier workers.

MONTERREY, Mexico -- Carrier employees in Mexico will make an average of $3 per hour, $6 per hour if you combine salary and benefits. 

So what can one get for $3 in Monterrey? Not much as RTV6's Rafael Sanchez found out while shopping at a corner store across the street from some Carrier plants on the west side of Monterrey. 

He went to the store with 50 pesos, the equivalent of about $3, which is what Carrier workers will make in Monterrey without benefits. With that money, he was able to buy milk for 27 pesos. He could not buy a loaf of bread without going over the 50 pesos. So, if workers in Monterrey want to buy bread, a Pepsi, milk and eggs, they would have to work at least two hours, and that's if they make $6 per hour with benefits. 

More: http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local...e-not-much

It appears stores charge more in towns where there are workers that are able to pay more.  Smiling

Maybe Cletus is talking about the wages Mexicans make in the resort areas where Cletus visits.

Oh I guess my posts suggested that Mexican workers made great wages, they do not when compared to what US workers make. I think I should have qualified what I am seeing and saying. In this resort community they are doing fine. Maybe not elsewhere.
In Phoenix now, Costa Rica in the morning. Burp! Airport bars are really cool.  Big Grin
(02-19-2017, 06:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote: In Phoenix now, Costa Rica in the morning. Burp! Airport bars are really cool.  Big Grin

Mornin'. Hope you had a good flight. Enjoy your stay, be safe, drink like a man and not a boy (didn't have to tell you, I know), and send photos.
(02-19-2017, 06:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote: In Phoenix now, Costa Rica in the morning. Burp! Airport bars are really cool.  Big Grin

Hey Cletus. Could you tell me a good place to fly to, Tropical.  I don't know the different in St John St Croiz or a st Bernard.

What would about five or seven says cost me. I mean the flight and the hotels. Also what does it cost to eat per day?
I definitely want to snorkel or maybe fish on a boat.
Is there somewhere nice that isn't TOO touristy?

I have plenty of money but I want a good deal. Big Grin
(02-19-2017, 09:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Hey Cletus. Could you tell me a good place to fly to, Tropical.  I don't know the different in St John St Croiz or a st Bernard.

What would about five or seven says cost me. I mean the flight and the hotels. Also what does it cost to eat per day?

You should check those all inclusive vacations for your first such trip. You could probably get your monies worth in beer and food.  Big Grin  Pop into one of those travel agencies and have them give you some ideas.
(02-19-2017, 10:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

You should check those all inclusive vacations for your first such trip. You could probably get your monies worth in beer and food.  Big Grin  Pop into one of those travel agencies and have them give you some ideas.

But getting advice from people in those travel agencies is exactly what I was trying to avoid.
Cletus has been to a few of theses places and has no reason to to bullshit me.

You should check those all inclusive vacations for your first such trip.

Yeah I guess so.
(02-20-2017, 12:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:

But getting advice from people in those travel agencies is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Yeah I guess so.

It's really difficult to understand why you might want to fight the "masses of asses" required for international travel. 

Right here in The Valley of the Rogue we have Agate Lake, the almost perfect vacation spot. There is almost no (okay a little) glass on the shore from broken beer bottles, you can make a few bucks picking up beer cans to recycle, and as long as you take a couple of guns and plenty of ammo, you should be safe from my hillbilly cousins who "live" there weeks at a time. If you get the required shots, you can swim in the water. Most folks who camp there take dogs, so be careful walking barefoot unless you have a shop towel to clean your feet. 

I think you can get travel information for Agate Lake at the Dollar Store in White City.
I am in Jaco, Costa Rica. It is hot here! This is my first time to Costa Rica so I don't know much yet. Tomorrow we are going to Manuel Antonio National Park. I am surrounded by Sun worshippers, surfers and beautiful women. This country is incredible from what I have seen so far. 

I never do All Inclusive it is a rip off in my opinion. Besides, it makes you think you need to stay at the resort to get your money's worth. I hit the open air food stands and resaurants in the area for the local flavor.  The people here are very friendly. 

If you are looking for an inexpensive vacation don't expect to find it here unless you are very good at bargain hunting. Costa Rica is not a poor country. It is also not cheap. If you want cheap go to Nicaragua.  

More later.

TVguy, I will post some photos soon. You would love doing the El natural vacation here. hiking in the high lands near the volcanoes would be cool. Personally I prefer  sitting by the ocean and drinking beer but whatever.  Lots of "new age" yoga peeps here now. And plenty of mumbow jumbo to keep every ragae wanna be hippy happy.

http://www.costaricantimes.com/the-envis...rica/52228
Cletus, you're killin' me!   Embarrassed  You're in Costa Rica... and I'm headed to Portland tomorrow to babysit the 3 & 9 year old grandkiddos for the first week of my daughter and son-in-law's 2 week trip to Belize to celebrate their 40th birthdays.  Happy for you.  Happy for them.  Can hardly wait until it's my turn!  Big Grin
(02-20-2017, 10:13 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I am in Jaco, Costa Rica. It is hot here! This is my first time to Costa Rica so I don't know much yet. Tomorrow we are going to Manuel Antonio National Park. I am surrounded by Sun worshippers, surfers and beautiful women. This country is incredible from what I have seen so far. 

I never do All Inclusive it is a rip off in my opinion. Besides, it makes you think you need to stay at the resort to get your money's worth. I hit the open air food stands and resaurants in the area for the local flavor.  The people here are very friendly. 

If you are looking for an inexpensive vacation don't expect to find it here unless you are very good at bargain hunting. Costa Rica is not a poor country. It is also not cheap. If you want cheap go to Nicaragua.  

More later.

TVguy, I will post some photos soon. You would love doing the El natural vacation here. hiking in the high lands near the volcanoes would be cool. Personally I prefer  sitting by the ocean and drinking beer but whatever.  Lots of "new age" yoga peeps here now. And plenty of mumbow jumbo to keep every ragae wanna be hippy happy.

Yes, but you are a seasoned traveler. I was thinking for his wife's sake, go with something safe and setup. Just don't pick one that is too isolated from the real people so you can still go immerse yourselves in the culture.
Clete, Did you fly into San Jose?
(02-20-2017, 08:31 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 12:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah I guess so.

It's really difficult to understand why you might want to fight the "masses of asses" required for international travel. 

Right here in The Valley of the Rogue we have Agate Lake, the almost perfect vacation spot. There is almost no (okay a little) glass on the shore from broken beer bottles, you can make a few bucks picking up beer cans to recycle, and as long as you take a couple of guns and plenty of ammo, you should be safe from my hillbilly cousins who "live" there weeks at a time. If you get the required shots, you can swim in the water. Most folks who camp there take dogs, so be careful walking barefoot unless you have a shop towel to clean your feet. 

I think you can get travel information for Agate Lake at the Dollar Store in White City.

I know you are trying to be funny but you have made similar claims about Agate lake in the past so I doubt you have even been there in the last 20 years.
There is no camping. No glass on the ground. There are no longer drinking parties or anyone shooting guns because they have a camp host. The park is Closed at dusk with a locked gate. I don't remember seeing any dog crap.
And the water is clean. Other than being muddy for a while in early spring. And then it clears up. It's also tested and people often swim there and bring their kids. Because 4X4 vehicles can no longer access the areas around the lake the water is cleaner and the fish do better as well..  It has not been like you described for at least 20 years.

It's a MUCH better lake for fishing then it was in the past because of all these improvements that were done.

Because that's what a person has to do if he/she wants to enjoy the tropics and all it has to offer. Smiling
(02-20-2017, 10:13 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I am in Jaco, Costa Rica. It is hot here! This is my first time to Costa Rica so I don't know much yet. Tomorrow we are going to Manuel Antonio National Park. I am surrounded by Sun worshippers, surfers and beautiful women. This country is incredible from what I have seen so far. 

More later.

Thanks. That's some of the kind of advice I need. And no I'm not looking for an inexpensive vacation. I'll take your word on not doing the All Inclusive thing. It doesn't sound like my thing anyway.

As far as hiking. I could do that some but not my wife. The beach and booze sounds great but I do want to fish and snorkel also.
(02-20-2017, 03:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:

More later.

Thanks. That's some of the kind of advice I need. And no I'm not looking for an inexpensive vacation. I'll take your word on not doing the All Inclusive thing. It doesn't sound like my thing anyway.

As far as hiking. I could do that some but not my wife. The beach and booze sounds great but I do want to fish and snorkel also.

Gulf of California has awesome fishing and it's not a terribly long flight.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsList-B...64772.html
America first. go to Hawaii.
(02-20-2017, 05:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 03:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:

More later.

Gulf of California has awesome fishing and it's not a terribly long flight.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsList-B...64772.html

Thanks we'll look in to that.
(02-20-2017, 11:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: America first. go to Hawaii.

Ive been told it's expensive and very touristy. I do have two old good friends who live there so it's a possibility.
(02-21-2017, 02:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 11:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: America first. go to Hawaii.

Ive been told it's expensive and very touristy. I do have two old good friends who live there so it's a possibility.

Save your money! The weather is lousy (too much sun), women run around half dressed without the decency to be embarrassed, far too much sand and it gets in everything,   sailors all over the place, funny drinks (almost impossible to get a Bud Light) and you can't even drive from island to island. What ? These folks never heard of bridges? 

I think Utah is a better option. Nice people, never see a drunk barfing at the curb, lots of churches, and more quilt museums than you can count. Hey, if it's good enough for Robert Redford it's gotta be okay.
OK Wonky I'll repost this because I assume you didn't respond because you don't use the feature ( green arrow) and you only see what's at the bottom of a thread.
[/url]

Wonky3 Wrote: [url=http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=388875#pid388875]

(02-19-2017, 11:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wrote:
(02-19-2017, 09:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Wrote:
(02-19-2017, 08:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wrote:
(02-19-2017, 05:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Wrote:In Phoenix now, Costa Rica in the morning. Burp! Airport bars are really cool.  [Image: icon_rvf_biggrin.gif]

I have plenty of money but I want a good deal. [Image: icon_rvf_biggrin.gif]

You should check those all inclusive vacations for your first such trip. You could probably get your monies worth in beer and food.  [Image: icon_rvf_biggrin.gif]  Pop into one of those travel agencies and have them give you some ideas.

Yeah I guess so.
[/url]

I know you are trying to be funny but you have made similar claims about Agate lake in the past so I doubt you have even been there in the last 20 years.
There is no camping. No glass on the ground. There are no longer drinking parties or anyone shooting guns because they have a camp host. The park is Closed at dusk with a locked gate. I don't remember seeing any dog crap.
And the water is clean. Other than being muddy for a while in early spring. And then it clears up. It's also tested and people often swim there and bring their kids. Because 4X4 vehicles can no longer access the areas around the lake the water is cleaner and the fish do better as well..  It has not been like you described for at least 20 years.

It's a MUCH better lake for fishing then it was in the past because of all these improvements that were done.

Because that's what a person has to do if he/she wants to enjoy the tropics and all it has to offer. [Image: icon_rvf_smile.gif]

[url=http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=1010]