Movies Movies Movies
So lets hear from anyone that has recently gone to a recently released movie. There may be another thread to this effect but I can't seem to find it....
I just saw Star Trek last night and it is SUPERB! I'm a trekker and for me the original series cannot be touched. There will never be another Capt. Kirk or Mr. Spock or Bones or Scotty or Sulu or Chekov or Uhura. BUT this movie is an excellent redition of the beginings of all the above characters. A well made thought out movie. I highly recomend it for all ages! Smiling
Now can anyone else add to this thread?
So you are saying there can never be another but you really like the nother you just saw? Razz

beginnings eh? got ya. Yeah Star Trek the series was actually pretty good entertainment for a lot of years. A lot of the shows were beyond stoopid but somehow they were OK to watch anyway Surprised many others were very clever and well thought out.
superb special effects??? Wink

[Image: tmgorn.jpg]
Yes, I should go see this, but I haven't really had time for movies these days. Lately I've been watching new releases on DVD or streaming videos recorded to dvd. I prefer to go the movies, but that's just how it is these days.
tvguy Wrote:superb special effects??? Wink

[Image: tmgorn.jpg]

LOL! For the late 60'd and 70's yes! The Gorn, even the names were campy but I enjoyed the ideas behind the christmas lit bridge and the painted kitchen chairs. Remember the communicators? Look at a cell phone....hhhmmm.

The movie Star Trek has very good FX. But I'm almost sure 50 years from now they too will look as bad as the gorn does to us today.
Live long and prosper.
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... &GT1=28101

YES!
Poon56 Wrote:I just saw Star Trek last night and it is SUPERB! I'm a trekker and for me the original series cannot be touched. There will never be another Capt. Kirk or Mr. Spock or Bones or Scotty or Sulu or Chekov or Uhura. BUT this movie is an excellent redition of the beginings of all the above characters. A well made thought out movie. I highly recomend it for all ages! Smiling

I LOVED the Star Trek movie!!!!
I'd recommend,

In Burges

Arranged

A cool Dry Place
Let me get through this week, and I'll go see it. Using my trusty MTF winning Cinemark card!!!

I haven't had time, but I want to squeeze this in. JUst think, in 4 more weeks I'll have so much extra time I will NEED something to do!
RobinBird Wrote:
Poon56 Wrote:I just saw Star Trek last night and it is SUPERB! I'm a trekker and for me the original series cannot be touched. There will never be another Capt. Kirk or Mr. Spock or Bones or Scotty or Sulu or Chekov or Uhura. BUT this movie is an excellent redition of the beginings of all the above characters. A well made thought out movie. I highly recomend it for all ages! Smiling

I LOVED the Star Trek movie!!!!

You have excellent taste RB! Not a dissapointment al all.

Confused Why 4 weeks tia?
I saw the movie The Reader with Kate Winslet. I liked it. There was some sex and brief nudity just like in real life, nothing too bad. The movie is a little disturbing, but I give it a thumbs up.

Now I'll go check out Star Trek since it has received good reviews here.
cletus1 Wrote:I saw the movie The Reader with Kate Winslet. I liked it. There was some sex and brief nudity just like in real life, nothing too bad. The movie is a little disturbing, but I give it a thumbs up.

Now I'll go check out Star Trek since it has received good reviews here.

I have The Reader on disc here, and still haven't watched it. I have a bunch to watch when I finally have some free time. Seems like lately, if I have free time I'm sleeping.

Just got back from Star Trek. It was good. It was Star Trek. It wasn't anything else. ( Thank Goodness) It had it's good points and questionable points. All the actors did a fine job of channeling their original characters. It was super fun to see Simon Pegg, I love him (Scotty). I guess Kirk and Spock, and Bones and Scotty have achieved American Mythic status. I can't help but wonder if a younger generation who hasn't watched the original series will even get all the allusions and nods and winks to the earlier version. I guess not. It's gussied up enough to please those viewers without having to understand them, but I could tell those who did, enjoyed that part of it tremendously.
WKYonc Wrote:I'd recommend,

In Burges

Arranged

A cool Dry Place

By the way, I LOVED In Burges! I'll have to check those two out, Wonky.
Tia Wrote:
WKYonc Wrote:I'd recommend,

In Burges

Arranged

A cool Dry Place

By the way, I LOVED In Burges! I'll have to check those two out, Wonky.

Yea, strange "little" movie, huh? I really liked it.
I don't often post comments about current "big" movies like Star Trek. I have not objection of course to that conversation, but I enjoy it when someone posts a more obscure film suggestion. You, Tennis Mom, Alaska, and others I've forgotten have suggested things now forgotten also. One of you (?) suggested "Station Agent" a movie I really liked. "My First Mister" may have been suggested here to, another "little one" I enjoyed.

"See you at the movies" as we used to say in the day.
I've seen Station Agent. I'm not sure if I recommended it. It was an interesting movie also. Wonky, have you ever seen 'Ravenous'? A Gothic, Western, Vampire movie with one of the best and most surreal chase scenes in it. The music kind 'reels' you. Trippy movie.

We both misspelled "In Bruges" I notice now.
Tia Wrote:I've seen Station Agent. I'm not sure if I recommended it. It was an interesting movie also. Wonky, have you ever seen 'Ravenous'? A Gothic, Western, Vampire movie with one of the best and most surreal chase scenes in it. The music kind 'reels' you. Trippy movie.

Yea, if I were spelling for my supper I wouldn't get a smell!

No, have not seen "Ravenous". But I think your are pulling my chain...a "Gothic, Western, Vampire movie? You just like sucking me in and then laughing at me, I think. But, I'll give it a look and report back if the movie is really out there. If not, shame on you.
WKYonc Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I've seen Station Agent. I'm not sure if I recommended it. It was an interesting movie also. Wonky, have you ever seen 'Ravenous'? A Gothic, Western, Vampire movie with one of the best and most surreal chase scenes in it. The music kind 'reels' you. Trippy movie.

Yea, if I were spelling for my supper I wouldn't get a smell!

No, have not seen "Ravenous". But I think your are pulling my chain...a "Gothic, Western, Vampire movie? You just like sucking me in and then laughing at me, I think. But, I'll give it a look and report back if the movie is really out there. If not, shame on you.

I kid you not. Robert Carlyle and Guy Pearce. Two really good actors. I'm particularly fond of Robert Carlyle (Full Monty) Guy Pearce was in Memento. Actually I shouldn't have given the punch line away. I was fascinated by this movie and had no idea what it was. Actually, it isn't quite a vampire movie in the purest sense, but it definitely has some very black humor in it, which is my favorite. Check it out. Just don't say I didn't warn ya!http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129332/ Kind of a loosely based hybrid of the Donner Party incident and Alfred Packer. If that don't get your goat, I don't know what will. Big Grin [Image: ravenous4.jpg]
Not new, but as my cable has gone bye bye, I am enjoying O Brother where art Thou? Love it. Leatherheads was alright too.
Just discovered HDPlasma WOW!
300 is amazing in HD whoa
Then Wild Hogs is just too too!
Anyone see Wolverine yet?

Just a note we get our cable free since winning the lawsuit against Charter.....
Since my DD and her family arrived, we've been watching quite a few Netflix programs and a few Blockbuster DVDs. Their taste doesn't always gel with ours but we are tolerant. So are they when we put our 'old fogey' stuff on. Happy

This past week, we were treated to "Mall Cop". Do yourself a favor and skip this one. :wacko:
We also got "Mongol". Not bad but very slow.
"Max Payne". Seriously, skip this one. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. (We only survived a half-hour of it. Blech.) :wacko:
"Taken" with Liam Neeson. So-so. Typical of the genre.
"In Bruges" was better than I thought it would be.

We've been watching a lot of British tv series. "1940s House" was excellent. Now we are into "The Cazalets", which is very engaging.

"Clatterford" is an English, quirky comedy series with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley (AbFab). It is very funny. We're waiting for the next disc to arrive at Netflix.

Are there any movies out there that don't have space aliens, man-eating zombies, loud special effects and car chases? Let me now when there are and maybe the DH and I will venture into a movie theater.