Movies Movies Movies
APPLEGATE Wrote:Two thumbs up and 5 stars for Rango. Clever dialog, great story line, and the animation wonderful. If you like Clint Eastwood westerns or Cat Ballou this is a flick for you. The sound track flirts with Marty Robbins songs. 6 years + for the younger crowd but adults will love the movie. IMO.
I recently heard that there is a group of our peers trying to get this movie banned, based upon -gasp- smoking scenes. They say it will cause up to 15% of children who watch the movie to become smokers. Rubbish in my opinion, but it's what I heard.
I saw King's Speech and True Grit on my flight home. I thought KS was ok, but not really worth the awards it got. True Grit was surprisingly better than I thought it would be.
TennisMom Wrote:I only liked the first Star Wars. The second one was 'meh'. The rest of them were just annoying. (Jar-Jar Binks?!).

Would it be worth going to see Liam Neeson in "Unknown"?

Beez, did you like the Mars movie? It got totally panned by the critics. Not that the critics know everything, of course, but they didn't just pan it, they deplored and condemned it, practically. Unsure
Yes, I did like it. Smiling
It had a wonderful message.
Just watched "The next Three days" I really enjoyed it. Check out the trailer for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lti0vfCPZns[/youtube]
The boys saw Battle:LA, while the 14 yo raved about it the hubby and the 7 year old voted it a 'meh', worth a buck at the redbox but not worth the $25 at the theatre.

I really want to see Rango, that looks like great fun-- given that their are people out there trying to ban Harry Potter and original Looney Tunes, I'd definately believe crackpots are after Rango.
Going through the Academy Award movies.

Black Swan. Haven't seen

The King's Speech.I actually quite liked this a lot.

The Social Network. This was a good movie. I like TKS better though

Inception . Average movie, but the special effects were great. It was a good movie.

Winter's Bone. I saw this. It was good. But it didn't make a huge impression on me

The Fighter Good. Nothing to write home about.

Toy Story 3 I liked this last version.

The Kids Are All Right Haven't seen it.

True Grit This was very good

127 Hours I probably WILL see this when I can watch it on DVD and fast forward through parts.
Tia Wrote:Going through the Academy Award movies.

Black Swan. Haven't seen

The King's Speech.I actually quite liked this a lot.

The Social Network. This was a good movie. I like TKS better though

Inception . Average movie, but the special effects were great. It was a good movie.

Winter's Bone. I saw this. It was good. But it didn't make a huge impression on me

The Fighter Good. Nothing to write home about.

Toy Story 3 I liked this last version.

The Kids Are All Right Haven't seen it.

True Grit This was very good

127 Hours I probably WILL see this when I can watch it on DVD and fast forward through parts.

"Winter's Bone. I saw this. It was good. But it didn't make a huge impression on me', said Tia above.

It's great that movies (story's) can be so universal that individually we can take far different views from them. The beauty of good prose, and I guess, music too.
I thought Winters Bone was very good! The protagonist (The young woman looking for her father) was a great example of wisdom that comes from simply being alert and making good choices. Not well schooled, living in desperate circumstances in a place where provincial thinking is respected far more than good information, she plods on doing the right things.
Because I see literature's value as the ability to expose us to events we won't experience, I see this film as good literature. As Flaubert's Madame Bovary gave us insight into a changing world 150 years ago, this story reminds us that we can find our "better selves" and respond to very difficult times by choosing the better options however difficult they are.

Our circumstances may control our situation. They do have to shape our behavior.
Wonky Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:I only liked the first Star Wars. The second one was 'meh'. The rest of them were just annoying. (Jar-Jar Binks?!).

Would it be worth going to see Liam Neeson in "Unknown"?

Beez, did you like the Mars movie? It got totally panned by the critics. Not that the critics know everything, of course, but they didn't just pan it, they deplored and condemned it, practically. Unsure

T/Mom, I saw the previews for UNKNOWN. I'm not going to spend any disposal income to see it. I think we have seen this movie about 40 times already. But, who knows? I'll wait for Tia to see it and post a review.

That's what I thought after seeing the previews. The DH likes Liam Neeson which is the only reason we considered going to see it. There isn't anything else out there which appeals to me. Why are all the new movies coming out so saturated with gauche special effects, silly story lines and gratuitous violence? :x