What's in your garden?
(03-03-2018, 05:06 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I recently purchased a Pampered Chef Manual Food Processor... which came with a Pampered Chef recipe for fresh Pico de Gallo. And now I'm hooked on making (and eating!) fresh Pico de Gallo!  So, I guess I need a garden with tomatoes, garlic, onions, Jalapeno and/or Serrano peppers, cilantro... and a lime tree!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

That reminds me of a friend who I used to tease about his garden because he didn't grow food, only condiments Razz

Actually he did have tomatoes which seemed to me to be the only real food. No beans, corn,peas, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, okra.
(03-04-2018, 03:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 05:06 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I recently purchased a Pampered Chef Manual Food Processor... which came with a Pampered Chef recipe for fresh Pico de Gallo. And now I'm hooked on making (and eating!) fresh Pico de Gallo!  So, I guess I need a garden with tomatoes, garlic, onions, Jalapeno and/or Serrano peppers, cilantro... and a lime tree!

That reminds me of a friend who I used to tease about his garden because he didn't grow food, only condiments Razz

Actually he did have tomatoes which seemed to me to be the only real food. No beans, corn,peas, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, okra.

I don't know what you're talking about! Pico de Gallo is totally food!  With a plate full of chips? That's lunch!  But I never really thought it that way.  I don't grow corn and I fight with the cabbage butterflies on anything Brassica
 or Cruciferus  I've only had success with carrots growing them in pots.  Unless you are canning the stuff, it's all real food.
(03-04-2018, 03:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about! Pico de Gallo is totally food!  With a plate full of chips? That's lunch!  But I never really thought it that way.  I don't grow corn and I fight with the cabbage butterflies on anything Brassica
 or Cruciferus  I've only had success with carrots growing them in pots.  Unless you are canning the stuff, it's all real food.
Yes it's real food like catsup , pickles . radishes , garlic , onions , peppers are real food?

But name one of the items you would eat by itself... like you would potatoes, tomatoes  beans, corn, peas, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, okra.

My friends big thing was to can pickles and make Salsa. Yeah it's food as far as being nutritional but to me it's more of a condiment.

I guess what I mean is which group would you choose if that was ALL you had to eat?
(03-03-2018, 07:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Not too slushy?  Usually Pico de Gallo isn't very loose, it's more little pieces.  When the summer comes you can made fresh salsa verde!
No... it's a manual food processor. You just wit pumping it when everything is how you want it. Also, the tomatoes go in last... after everything else is semi chopped. Turns out perfect... and has so much flavor!

(03-04-2018, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 03:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes it's real food like catsup , pickles . radishes , garlic , onions , peppers are real food?

But name one of the items you would eat by itself... like you would potatoes, tomatoes  beans, corn, peas, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, okra.

My friends big thing was to can pickles and make Salsa. Yeah it's food as far as being nutritional but to me it's more of a condiment.

I guess what I mean is which group would you choose if that was ALL you had to eat?

That's a better definition.
Bamboo Big Grin   I paid some guy 20 bucks to dig up a root ball of his giant timber bamboo. It took hours to dig it out and it was so big and heavy I just about broke my back getting it on to my truck.
This was at least 5 years ago and it never grew anything but small bamboo.Like you can see on the left.
Anyway surprise surprise and shazam. I walked by the plant yesterday and it's shooting up very large canes.
Larger than it ever has been.

[Image: 2i0sr5s.jpg]

[Image: r90v1l.jpg]
(05-25-2018, 04:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: Bamboo Big Grin   I paid some guy 20 bucks to dig up a root ball of his giant timber bamboo. It took hours to dig it out and it was so big and heavy I just about broke my back getting it on to my truck.
This was at least 5 years ago and it never grew anything but small bamboo.Like you can see on the left.
Anyway surprise surprise and shazam. I walked by the plant yesterday and it's shooting up very large canes.

[Image: 2i0sr5s.jpg]

[Image: r90v1l.jpg]

bad news!

I hope you don't regret it.
(05-25-2018, 05:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 04:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: Bamboo Big Grin   I paid some guy 20 bucks to dig up a root ball of his giant timber bamboo. It took hours to dig it out and it was so big and heavy I just about broke my back getting it on to my truck.

bad news!

You must mean because bamboo spreads so easily. I have bamboo planted in other places that has been there for years without spreading.
It's because I live in the desert and bamboo won't grow or spread in to dry ground. Only where I water. In just a short amount of time my ground will dry up and nothing else will grow until next year.

The sooner the better I have a lot of tall grass to mow and weed whack.Smiling And I have to do my whole property because of the fox tails.
(05-25-2018, 06:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:

bad news!

You must mean because bamboo spreads so easily. I have bamboo planted in other places that has been there for years without spreading.
It's because I live in the desert and bamboo won't grow or spread in to dry ground. Only where I water. In just a short amount of time my ground will dry up and nothing else will grow until next year.

The sooner the better I have a lot of tall grass to mow and weed whack.Smiling And I have to do my whole property because of the fox tails.

I planted bamboo on the edge of my property and it just sat there for years, I never watered it. It lasted about ten years and was gone.
(05-25-2018, 10:59 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 06:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:

bad news!

I planted bamboo on the edge of my property and it just sat there for years, I never watered it. It lasted about ten years and was gone.
Yes it's amazing how drought resistant some of it really is.
Bamboo is my enemy. I haven't watered the back yard for years...but can't rid myself of it. I've had the back yard covered in thick black plastic sheeting weighed down with rocks for at least 5 years. That seems to be have me winning battles but not the war.
I can't find the link to the video, but I saw a video recently on FB on a site for the United Kingdom. In the video a person walks towards a corn field and pulls an ear of corn off and reveals the Indian Corn inside. She shows some others. The site was dumbfounded. They had never seen Indian Corn and had no idea what it was. I in turn was equally dumbfounded. I had no idea people would not know what Indian corn is.
(05-26-2018, 12:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: Bamboo is my enemy.  I haven't watered the back yard for years...but can't rid myself of it.  I've had the back yard covered in thick black plastic sheeting weighed down with rocks for at least 5 years. That seems to be have me winning battles but not the war.

I know. I know LOL. But your soil NEVER dries out like my old river bottom. Your soil probably goes down at least 10  feet.
My topsoil is at best about one foot deep. Also I bet your neighbors water their yards.

Do you know anyone around where you live that has to water their trees? I have to or they die.
(05-26-2018, 12:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: I can't find the link to the video, but I saw a video recently on FB on a site for the United Kingdom. In the video a person walks towards a corn field and pulls an ear of corn off and reveals the Indian Corn inside.  She shows some others. The site was dumbfounded. They had never seen Indian Corn and had no idea what it was. I in turn was equally dumbfounded. I had no idea people would not know what Indian corn is.

Sheesh you would think they would be growing it for decoration. I don't know, is that all it's good for? Or popcorn?
(05-26-2018, 01:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 12:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: I can't find the link to the video, but I saw a video recently on FB on a site for the United Kingdom. In the video a person walks towards a corn field and pulls an ear of corn off and reveals the Indian Corn inside.  She shows some others. The site was dumbfounded. They had never seen Indian Corn and had no idea what it was. I in turn was equally dumbfounded. I had no idea people would not know what Indian corn is.

Sheesh you would think they would be growing it for decoration. I don't know, is that all it's good for? Or popcorn?

Well, now.  Back in the day I imagine it would be ground for grain.
(05-26-2018, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 12:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: Bamboo is my enemy.  I haven't watered the back yard for years...but can't rid myself of it.  I've had the back yard covered in thick black plastic sheeting weighed down with rocks for at least 5 years. That seems to be have me winning battles but not the war.

I know. I know LOL. But your soil NEVER dries out like my old river bottom. Your soil probably goes down at least 10  feet.
My topsoil is at best about one foot deep. Also I bet your neighbors water their yards.

Do you know anyone around where you live that has to water their trees? I have to or they die.

I think people don't think trees need to be watered but they do.
(05-26-2018, 01:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Bug trees don't. Not even where I live, But yes just because a tree survives that doesn't mean it never needs water.

And the type of soil is critical. Where I live the indigenous trees are pines and scrub oaks. And most of the pines are dying off over the years. I don't have any oaks. I have one old pine tree I do water a couple times in the driest part of summer.

Have you ever heard of "black sticky? that's what the locals call the soil in lots of places. Like the pear orchards.
I had a fried who lived off Vilas rd.There were poplar trees just like I have. But they were HUGE towering beautiful trees.
That area has the black sticky. It's only about 4 to 5 miles from where I live. But I believe it's been hundreds of thousands of years or millions since the river flowed over that ground.
Unlike my place which would have been a lot more recent.
(05-26-2018, 02:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 01:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Bug trees don't. Not even where I live, But yes just because a tree survives that doesn't mean it never needs water.

And the type of soil is critical. Where I live the indigenous trees are pines and scrub oaks. And most of the pines are dying off over the years. I don't have any oaks. I have one old pine tree I do water a couple times in the driest part of summer.

Have you ever heard of "black sticky? that's what the locals call the soil in lots of places. Like the pear orchards.
I had a fried who lived off Vilas rd.There were poplar trees just like I have. But they were HUGE towering beautiful trees.
That area has the black sticky. It's only about 4 to 5 miles from where I live. But I believe it's been hundreds of thousands of years or millions since the river flowed over that ground.
Unlike my place which would have been a lot more recent.

What's a bug tree?
I still do not have a garden. Now that we have Lola... we accumulate little "tootsie rolls" in the backyard. But... that's been cleaned up!  Big Grin

[Image: 33347211_10215987657305495_2786012222533...e=5B8BA2F3]
(05-26-2018, 05:05 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I still do not have a garden. Now that we have Lola... we accumulate little "tootsie rolls" in the backyard. But... that's been cleaned up!  Big Grin

[Image: 33347211_10215987657305495_2786012222533...e=5B8BA2F3]

And you felt the need to post a picture?  I hope those bags are biodegradable.