What's in your garden?
(10-14-2018, 06:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 04:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Dug up the veggie patch for the year. Winter squash is curing in the sun, the last of the cukes and tomatoes are in the dehydrator and I'm doubting I'll get any more figs though there's still some green ones out there. Already planning for next year. Now that's optimism!   Big Grin

Oh yeah, picked one last meal worth of fresh green beans.

You put cucumbers in the dehydrator?  How do they taste?

Like dried chewy cucumbers.   Big Grin 

Actually I think they have a (very) slightly sweet taste. But that might just be me, if someone else tried them they'd probably say "no they don't". I think they do.

This time I want to see if I can get them dry enough to grind into powder. I tend to experiment. I've dried pickles too.   Smiling
(10-14-2018, 07:47 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 04:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Dug up the veggie patch for the year. Winter squash is curing in the sun, the last of the cukes and tomatoes are in the dehydrator and I'm doubting I'll get any more figs though there's still some green ones out there. Already planning for next year. Now that's optimism!   Big Grin

Actually I think they have a (very) slightly sweet taste. But that might just be me, if someone else tried them they'd probably say "no they don't". I think they do.

This time I want to see if I can get them dry enough to grind into powder. I tend to experiment. I've dried pickles too.   Smiling

sorry...I just can't see the appeal in eating dried cucumbers, but then, I've never tried them. Smiling

I like that you are  adventurous. I think I'm going to leave all the various pepper plants where they are and see what happens. After all the tree leaves are down I'll spread them throughout the garden then put a layer of large burlap coffee bags over the entire area in hopes of the area being ready to go come Spring.
(10-14-2018, 09:40 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I like that you are  adventurous. I think I'm going to leave all the various pepper plants where they are and see what happens. After all the tree leaves are down I'll spread them throughout the garden then put a layer of large burlap coffee bags over the entire area in hopes of the area being ready to go come Spring.

Where do you get the burlap bags?
(10-14-2018, 10:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Where do you get the burlap bags?

From the larger coffee roasters I deal with. I think you have a few down there don't you? CL should have bags also. I see people ask for bags on Nextdoor fairly often, you might check there.
(10-14-2018, 08:53 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 07:47 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

sorry...I just can't see the appeal in eating dried cucumbers, but then, I've never tried them. Smiling
 Personally I don't see the appeal in eating cucumbers  at all LOL . If I eat them I will burp up the flavor and then twice I have to taste something I don't much care for.
But why would they be any worse or better dry?

I cover my gardens with leaves. Don't you have leaves? It's either that or tell it again and plant rye grass or whatever.
(10-15-2018, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I cover my gardens with leaves. Don't you have leaves? I'm a bit worried about you.  Unsure It's either that or tell it again and plant rye grass or whatever.

I've had a few people up here say the burlap is great to cover the garden with. I think you just leave it down and plant right in it come Spring. Maybe keeps the weeds down a bit too?
(10-15-2018, 04:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I cover my gardens with leaves. Don't you have leaves? I'm a bit worried about you.  Unsure It's either that or tell it again and plant rye grass or whatever.

I've had a few people up here say the burlap is great to cover the garden with. I think you just leave it down and plant right in it come Spring. Maybe keeps the weeds down a bit too?

OK so I admit I took the Evelyn Woodhead sped redding course. Laughing

I don't think the burlap will be rotted out over winter. But maybe you mean you just cut a hole in it and plant? But then how can you till?
Anyway I don't see the reason for the burlap? I let the leaves decompose and till them in to the soil in the spring.

I love how well the leaves decompse improve the soil. The giant night crawlers love it too. I feel guilty and kind of stupid when I rake leaves just so things look better.
LOL[Image: 6dd7810de357550b0bc5289bfa21e4eb.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(12-15-2018, 10:41 AM)Scrapper Wrote: LOL[Image: 6dd7810de357550b0bc5289bfa21e4eb.jpg]

Bwa ha.. We just ate the last of our homegrown maters. They were green as hell. I picked them before the first freeze. They finally turned red.
(12-15-2018, 12:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 10:41 AM)Scrapper Wrote: LOL[Image: 6dd7810de357550b0bc5289bfa21e4eb.jpg]

Bwa ha.. We just ate the last of our homegrown maters. They were green as hell. I picked them before the first freeze. They finally turned red.

Way, way back, when I was still in HS my dad called me outside. He had a question. He pointed to a red japanese maple seedling I was growing in a pot and wanted to know "is that marywanna?" Of course I had to say no and explain what it was and where it came from... I just didn't point out the real pot I had growing about six feet away.   Embarrassed Razz 

But I was honest so it's OK, right?   Big Grin
(12-15-2018, 12:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 12:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Way, way back, when I was still in HS my dad called me outside. He had a question. He pointed to a red japanese maple seedling I was growing in a pot and wanted to know "is that marywanna?" Of course I had to say no and explain what it was and where it came from... I just didn't point out the real pot I had growing about six feet away.   Embarrassed Razz 

But I was honest so it's OK, right?   Big Grin
Laughing
Lettuce... in the living room!   along with a basil and a thyme just sprouting.

My winter time hydroponic experiment... just because.   Big Grin

[pretend there's a picture here
for some reason it won't copy
and paste, too big]
(12-31-2018, 02:00 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Lettuce... in the living room!   along with a basil and a thyme just sprouting.

and paste, too big]
Holy crap!!!  are you seeing what I'm seeing. There's no picture just a ton of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Try this.... https://postimages.org/
(12-31-2018, 02:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 02:00 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Lettuce... in the living room!   along with a basil and a thyme just sprouting.

and paste, too big]
Holy crap!!!  are you seeing what I'm seeing. There's no picture just a ton of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, I cut that out and re-posted. I couldn't get it to work and I don't want to spend more time on it.
(12-31-2018, 02:07 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

and paste, too big]

Yeah, I cut that out and re-posted. I couldn't get it to work and I don't want to spend more time on it.

Are you trying to copy and paste your own photo? I don't think that's possible. Try that image host I posted

https://postimages.org/
(12-31-2018, 02:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

and paste, too big]

Are you trying to copy and paste your own photo? I don't think that's possible. Try that image host I posted

I've done it before but it's been quite awhile ago.

Here, this is better. Thanks for the link.

[Image: Lettuce.jpg]
(12-31-2018, 02:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

and paste, too big]

That's cool. I try to do kitchen experiments with growing stuff and it rarely works.
(12-31-2018, 03:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 02:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 02:05 PM)tvguy Wrote: Holy crap!!!  are you seeing what I'm seeing. There's no picture just a ton of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That's cool. I try to do kitchen experiments with growing stuff and it rarely works.

Do you mean in the window? Like avocado seeds or pineapples? I think you need a LOT of light and warmth.