What's in your garden?
Quote:OMG, I have another theory: Some people's taste buds were stunted in childhood so that their tastes remained in a juvenile state and they are now unable to appreciate spices including peppers. Peppers give food a robust and unique flavor. Children like sweet, bland and cheesy, Cheerios Boy. Most of the rest of the world likes spicy. Most adults have Adventuresome appetites, Mac Cheese Daddy.

Except you don't say anything about the people who have good taste buds and don't NEED to mask the taste of their food with hot peppers and such.

Think about what Mexicans eat..dull corn, tortillas.. a bunch of bland stuff that has no taste, no wonder they have to add something hot and the more they add the more they need

Quote:Peppers give food a robust and unique flavor

GOOD food ALREADY has a robust unique flavor, what about the children who can't eat anything with out ketchup or ranch on it?

Quote: Most adults have Adventuresome appetites

By that you mean they smother perfectly good food with Garlic or hot sauce??? or smother a good steak with A-1 or Worcester sauce, or the order a pizza with everything in the world on it but still have to stick it in ranch sauce??? Razz YUK. that's not adventuresome in my book at all.

Spicy is one thing a little is OK although I'm sick to death of Garlic that I used to like and onions are going the same way.

To me spicy food is third world food Laughing Cajun... equals too hot to stand
Quote:Robin....yeah, when I was a kid anything spicier than chili powder was too much for me.

Because you had better more sensitive taste and smell. Who here actually liked the first beer or cigarette or shot of whiskey OR a cayenne pepper?? your body told you it was wrong.

Your body was right Laughing Like I said nature made things inedible for a reason , to keep animals from eating the seeds. And we are the only animal that eats it anyway Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Some caveman probably figured out he could eat rotten meat a lot easier with hot peppers on it Laughing

Don't EVER order garlic shrimp at a Chinese restaurant, the Garlic is so you can't tell the shrimp has gone bad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I don't remember beer ever tasting bad... Surprisedops: I remember hot summers fishing with my Dad at Dairy Creek and sneeking a sip off of his cold beer and liking it. Could it be genetic?

I always thought that spices were largely used to make eating spoiled food easier, although being hedonists, I can see that our ancestors just plain liked spices.

My oldest daughter will eat almost anything if I let her put ketchup on it. I'll take it for now.
tvguy Wrote:Except you don't say anything about the people who have good taste buds and don't NEED to mask the taste of their food with hot peppers and such.

Think about what Mexicans eat..dull corn, tortillas.. a bunch of bland stuff that has no taste, no wonder they have to add something hot and the more they add the more they need

GOOD food ALREADY has a robust unique flavor, what about the children who can't eat anything with out ketchup or ranch on it?

By that you mean they smother perfectly good food with Garlic or hot sauce??? or smother a good steak with A-1 or Worcester sauce, or the order a pizza with everything in the world on it but still have to stick it in ranch sauce??? Razz YUK. that's not adventuresome in my book at all.

Spicy is one thing a little is OK although I'm sick to death of Garlic that I used to like and onions are going the same way.

Oh yeah, most food as is, tastes good? Not unless it is fruit. Try some meat, fish or veggies with nothing on it. I can appreciate the delicate natural flavors of foods and I certainly agree that food can be "covered" with condiments. Like you said, kids have that down with Ketchup and adults with steak sauce. I like my steak only with salt and a little pepper. But, I like my Jambalaya with andouille sausage and so much spice that I need the rice to mix with it with to temper the heat. I love Cajun food and I believe that the person that invented craw fish Etouffee is a prophet. Spice is meant to enhance the flavors of food not cover it.
Quote:Cletus...Oh yeah, most food as is, tastes good? Not unless it is fruit. Try some meat, fish or veggies with nothing on it.

I wasn't trying to say that there was no reason for any kind of spices, only that the cayenne group IMO does more to replace a flavor or cover up them most others.

Quote:Spice is meant to enhance the flavors of food not cover it.

Exactly but that sure as hell isn't what I find with most Cajun food, and to me crayfish is so good I would be literally pissed off if someone cooked mine with a bunch of HOT peppers.

To each his own Laughing funny thing is I love the hot mustard sauce you get with Chinese food :shock: and I like peppercinies with sandwiches Surprised :shock:
tvguy Wrote:
Quote:OMG, I have another theory: Some people's taste buds were stunted in childhood so that their tastes remained in a juvenile state and they are now unable to appreciate spices including peppers. Peppers give food a robust and unique flavor. Children like sweet, bland and cheesy, Cheerios Boy. Most of the rest of the world likes spicy. Most adults have Adventuresome appetites, Mac Cheese Daddy.

Except you don't say anything about the people who have good taste buds and don't NEED to mask the taste of their food with hot peppers and such.

How odd. I LOVE the taste of fresh, homemade, corn tortillas all by themselves. I love homemade Mexican rice and beans. Not bland to me at all. I can eat them without the pepper. The peppers have their own unique taste. They taste like peppers. So, if I put peppers, or pepper sauce on rice and beans or tortillas, I taste that food. And peppers. I think your taste buds are befuddled.

Quote:To me spicy food is third world food Laughing Cajun... equals too hot to stand
Wuss.
tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Tia.... Did you fall on your head, TVguy? Big Grin (JK) I am not going to grow them, but they are certainly not worthless. I cook with them quite a bit, so I guess you would have to define 'worthless'. I grow sunflowers for looks. Therefore, not the mammoth varieties. No melons of me. I don't like fruit, remember!?

I just meant that the tomatillias are worthless to me and the same goes with peppers and cukes.

IMO peppers are what third world people put on their crappy food so they can stand to eat it Laughing

Did you ever wonder why peppers were hot in the first place?? so animals would not eat them and I bet other then stupid humans they don't Laughing Laughing

Double wuss. Cucumbers. Yum!!! Peppers! Yummm! Tomatillos! Yum!!!!

Don't be inviting me for dinner anytime soon, TVguy. Big Grin
In response to the OP. Gophers, Rabbits, Squirrels and some other little creatures that I haven't identified yet.

Guess it is time to drag out the Earth Boxes, put in some new soil and get the tomatoes started. Anything else is a lost cause!
Quote:Tia..How odd. I LOVE the taste of fresh, homemade, corn tortillas all by themselves. I love homemade Mexican rice and beans. Not bland to me at all. I can eat them without the pepper.

Sure when it's fresh and cooked right

It aint all about you girly, try being raised on nothing but that stuff and you'll poor the hot sauce all over just like so many people do, You seriously think it's odd that I don't want to sweat when I eat Laughing or that I actually like to taste my food and not the hot peppers?

Quote:The peppers have their own unique taste. They taste like peppers. So, if I put peppers, or pepper sauce on rice and beans or tortillas, I taste that food.

Good for you because you obviously don't put too much on your food like so many people do.

My senses are just fine, the ones who are befuddled are the ones who have to pour that hot crap all over everything they eat.
I was given some mole plant seed and was wondering is others have tried these? My friend said they weren't pretty plants and would reseed themselves each year, but swears they have seemed to work for her.
Quote:Interestingly enough, chile is a substance that most mammals (birds and reptiles seem to be unaffected by its heat properties) will avoid as they would a poison.
Through a series of studies, Dr. Rozin found that it is practically impossible to induce a preference for chile peppers in rats, and subsequent experiments with dogs and chimpanzees have had limited success. A study he conducted in 1979 states that humans are the only mammals that "reverse their natural rejection" to bitter "innately unpalatable substances" such as nicotine, coffee, alcohol, tobacco...and chile peppers.
They can learn to prefer the flavor and physiological effects of these ingredients to the point of choosing to eat them regularly.
This is exactly what I said

Quote:In the case of chile peppers, one reason for reversing this preference might be practicality. A 1980 Rozin study found that the most common reason Mexican people gave for eating chile is that it "adds flavor to food." It also observed that chile might be a digestive aid: "With a mealy and bland starch-base diet, typical of the areas where chili pepper is commonly eaten, chili aids in the ingestion and swallowing of food and may enhance the palatability of food."

And this is also what I said. So my assertion that chilies Laughing Laughing became popular to make crappy third world food taste better is spot on.

I rest my case
imaham Wrote:In response to the OP. Gophers, Rabbits, Squirrels and some other little creatures that I haven't identified yet.

Guess it is time to drag out the Earth Boxes, put in some new soil and get the tomatoes started. Anything else is a lost cause!

I have a lot of gophers and I leave them be and for some reason they don't go in my garden? I guess they don't like the tilled soils or something.

But if you are talking about ground squirrels then get rid of them, they are very destructive. they will eat watermelon cantaloupe, tomatoes plus they can damage building wiring etc.

I had a friend who had to spend thousands of dollars because they got in to the engine and destroyed the wiring in his new truck.
tagalong Wrote:I was given some mole plant seed and was wondering is others have tried these? My friend said they weren't pretty plants and would reseed themselves each year, but swears they have seemed to work for her.

What is mole plant? Never heard of it, but I'd sure like to try it if it works. We've got lots of moles.
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but my parents always had a few of these and they called them gopher plants.
[Image: euplathryusyoungplant.jpg]
tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Tia..How odd. I LOVE the taste of fresh, homemade, corn tortillas all by themselves. I love homemade Mexican rice and beans. Not bland to me at all. I can eat them without the pepper.

Sure when it's fresh and cooked right

It aint all about you girly, try being raised on nothing but that stuff and you'll poor the hot sauce all over just like so many people do, You seriously think it's odd that I don't want to sweat when I eat Laughing or that I actually like to taste my food and not the hot peppers?

Quote:The peppers have their own unique taste. They taste like peppers. So, if I put peppers, or pepper sauce on rice and beans or tortillas, I taste that food.

Good for you because you obviously don't put too much on your food like so many people do.

My senses are just fine, the ones who are befuddled are the ones who have to pour that hot crap all over everything they eat.

Geez, TV, quit being so damn reasonable with me. I'm trying to spark an argument with you. Big Grin
RobinBird Wrote:I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but my parents always had a few of these and they called them gopher plants.

That's an interesting looking plant. I Googled it and it can grow four feet tall; bet it would be kind of pretty. Wonder if it would help with the evil moles... Anyway, I went to the grower's market today and bought some Goliath tomatoes. I've never grown that kind, and it's fun to try something new. The man I bought them from said they're early and tasty, so sounds good to me. They look like sturdy little plants. Anybody here grow Goliath tomatoes?
Tribble Wrote:
RobinBird Wrote:I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but my parents always had a few of these and they called them gopher plants.

That's an interesting looking plant. I Googled it and it can grow four feet tall; bet it would be kind of pretty. Wonder if it would help with the evil moles... Anyway, I went to the grower's market today and bought some Goliath tomatoes. I've never grown that kind, and it's fun to try something new. The man I bought them from said they're early and tasty, so sounds good to me. They look like sturdy little plants. Anybody here grow Goliath tomatoes?

When I lived in Santa Cruz, I saw those in every garden I saw. I also saw gophers in every garden I saw. So, if they work, I think you have to have lots of them all over.
This sounds like it could be fun---

Hanley Farm Plant Sale
Heritage Plant and Vegetable Sale

Hanley Farm will be featuring a wide variety of heirloom vegetables, old-fashioned ornamentals, heirloom plants from the Hanley gardens, grapes, figs, hanging baskets and grafted apple trees. Master Composter, Denny Morelli, will also be giving a class from 1 - 2:30 p.m. in our 1857 barn. Attendees will learn the basics of composting and soil enhancement and receive a 1.5 cubic foot bag of compost. There will be a draft horse obstacle course demonstration as well.

When: Saturday, May 9 from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Where: 1053 Hanley Rd. between Central Point and Jacksonville
Cost: Free admission; $10 donation to SOHS for composting class
For more information, call 541-773-2675
God must have thought it would be funny to make a real plant look like some Walmart plastic version Laughing

[Image: euplathryusyoungplant.jpg][/quote]
Tribble Wrote:This sounds like it could be fun---

Hanley Farm Plant Sale
Heritage Plant and Vegetable Sale

Hanley Farm will be featuring a wide variety of heirloom vegetables, old-fashioned ornamentals, heirloom plants from the Hanley gardens, grapes, figs, hanging baskets and grafted apple trees. Master Composter, Denny Morelli, will also be giving a class from 1 - 2:30 p.m. in our 1857 barn. Attendees will learn the basics of composting and soil enhancement and receive a 1.5 cubic foot bag of compost. There will be a draft horse obstacle course demonstration as well.

When: Saturday, May 9 from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Where: 1053 Hanley Rd. between Central Point and Jacksonville
Cost: Free admission; $10 donation to SOHS for composting class
For more information, call 541-773-2675

Cool sales gimmick , come to our plant sale and receive a free 1.5 cubic foot bag of shit Laughing Laughing Razz

I bought six big tomato plants at the growers market today, right now I'm too tired to remember(cut & spilt big oak tree) what they were except for two "super fantastics"