What's in your garden?
I don't have the space to grow as much as some. What are you growing?
Right now, dirt. But by the end of the week all the cool weather vegetables will be planted from starts except the peas. Row call. Smiling

Row 1: lettuces; mostly red sail, butter head, and Romain, along with arugula and some mixed greens

Row 2: Broccoli and maybe a few dozen cauliflowers

Row 3: cabbages, red, savoy, Napa and whatever I find at green leaf.

Row 4: peas snow and Oregon sugar pod bush type.

The rest of the garden is reserved for the non frost resistant summer veggies.

Life is good.
I'm looking for a good heirloom tomato.

I've got lettuce! I planted the sugar peas yesterday.

Cletus you really have a huge garden!
cletus1 Wrote:Right now, dirt. But by the end of the week all the cool weather vegetables will be planted from starts except the peas. Row call. Smiling

Row 1: lettuces; mostly red sail, butter head, and Romain, along with arugula and some mixed greens

Life is good.
Can I get turtle food from you?
AmandaChantel Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Right now, dirt. But by the end of the week all the cool weather vegetables will be planted from starts except the peas. Row call. Smiling

Life is good.
Can I get turtle food from you?
Sure. I give tons away.

Life is good.

If you are planting a row for the hungry like your siggy says, may I have row 2, please? Unsure Razz
Trade you some fresh rosemary, thyme, sage and chives for whatever....I have a very small garden spot. But a huge chest freezer....
Is it too early for turtle food now?? I ran out and am too lazy to get some
BUDS BUDS BUDS, and in no particular order
orygunluvr Wrote:BUDS BUDS BUDS, and in no particular order

That remark is subject to misinterpretation.
How wonderful it is at the beginning of the season. Everyone willing to take some of Cletus's veggies and he is happy to find new outlets for giving away his veggies.

Later in the season people are still polite and take some tomatoes and cucumbers. Cletus thanks them profusely.

Near the end of the season Cletus hears through the grapevine that people are saying things like Oh my God there he is again. Run he will try to pawn off more veggies on you.

Oh how wonderful is the beginning of the season.

Too Anxious and everyone can all get some veggies for sure. There is nothing ready yet I don't do the green house head starting anymore.
I will take all the tomatoes anyone wants to toss my way. I always try to plant a couple of cherry tomato plants but they never grow too well in a container.

Is oregano the herb that flowers out later in the season? If so, I have tons of that and will be giving it away later on.

I have mostly a flower garden. Love my roses and annuals.
This year we will grow: Tomatoes, herbs, onions, artichokes, potatoes, strawberries, beets, carrots, we will start raspberry vines, and a pumpkin patch. I'm so friggin excited! Oh, and flowers of course.
Weeds of multiple varieties. Flowers that come back year after year designed to attract gazillions of bees that chase me out of my own yard. That, and - oh yeah! Algae in the pool right now. Surprisedops:
Javajabbers Wrote:Weeds of multiple varieties. Flowers that come back year after year designed to attract gazillions of bees that chase me out of my own yard. That, and - oh yeah! Algae in the pool right now. Surprisedops:
I heard you grow some beautiful Dandelions and Star Thistle. You must truly have a green thumb.
Cometmom Wrote:I will take all the tomatoes anyone wants to toss my way. I always try to plant a couple of cherry tomato plants but they never grow too well in a container.

Is oregano the herb that flowers out later in the season? If so, I have tons of that and will be giving it away later on.

I have mostly a flower garden. Love my roses and annuals.

Oregano flowers make great dried flowers for dried flower wreaths.

Tomatoes. I found two heirlooms today. A determinate Cherokee and an indertiminate Manitoba. Now, of course I have to figure out where to put them till it's warm enough. :roll: I put out more lettuce and parsley, snapdragons and turned, turned, turned the straw. I'm starting to see dirt! Lots of worms. I've been to three locations and haven't found any napa cabbage or bok choy which is what I would prefer over regular green or purple cabbage.
I haven't had a garden in years, but this year I am going to grow peppers.

Green, yellow, orange, red. Jalapeno and cerrano.

These are the ones I use for my chili and other stuff. I might try some cilantro for breakfast stuff.
I am very unskilled at this, so advise is welcome. Won't any old soil do?
Larry Wrote:I am very unskilled at this, so advise is welcome. Won't any old soil do?

Well, mine was tired. I noticed a definite down turn in how my garden was doing. I blame part of it to the trees getting big and not as much sun, but I think the soil was just worn out. No amount of fertilizer was doing the trick. So, I put straw and horse manure all over the front bed and over wintered it. OL got to see that. I should have put cardboard over it, but I didn't so now I'm turn, turn, turning it into the soil. I put on a lot of ammonium sulfate to 'cook' it. Finally it's working. The soil is breaking up and the clay from beneath is loosening.

I won't be planting peppers. For peppers, they want full sun, as much as possible. Even black plastic underneath them to increase the heat. That's why I won't plant them. I don't get enough sun.
I just plated Walla Walla Onions, I wish I could have been at least a couple weeks earlier but they should be fine.

Red seed potatoes were ALREADY sold out at the grange :x