What's in your garden?
(06-10-2019, 12:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 09:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:58 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think comfrey is kind of invasive isn't it?

I guess it's a choice between something invasive or an ugly fence.

Is your new neighbor a Trump supporter?

I don't think there was anything invasive. The people who lived there before had beautiful flowers hiding a chain link fence for as long as I remember.

I don't know if he's a Trump supporter. He;s just lazy or apathetic. There are two outside dogs and no dog house anywhere.The place is a mess.
You don't want it on your house. And it does spread and is hard to eradicate. I took it off the side of the house because it has suckers, like ivy and was pulling the siding off and going up under the roof shingles. But it kept coming back. It was just a constant thing to keep it back. Hummingbirds and pollinators love the flowers.

I don't think plants that spread do so where I live. The trumpet vines were on the fence and didn't spread anywhere for 20 years or so.
I think where I live, on the Agate desert nothing spreads because unless I water the ground is bone dry.

There's definitely places plants prefer. I have a philosophy that if I find a place where the plant is happy, that's where it stays.
(06-10-2019, 01:40 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:58 PM)chuck white Wrote: I guess it's a choice between something invasive or an ugly fence.

Is your new neighbor a Trump supporter?

I don't think there was anything invasive. The people who lived there before had beautiful flowers hiding a chain link fence for as long as I remember.

I don't know if he's a Trump supporter. He;s just lazy or apathetic. There are two outside dogs and no dog house anywhere.The place is a mess.
You don't want it on your house. And it does spread and is hard to eradicate. I took it off the side of the house because it has suckers, like ivy and was pulling the siding off and going up under the roof shingles. But it kept coming back. It was just a constant thing to keep it back. Hummingbirds and pollinators love the flowers.

I don't think plants that spread do so where I live. The trumpet vines were on the fence and didn't spread anywhere for 20 years or so.
I think where I live, on the Agate desert nothing spreads because unless I water the ground is bone dry.

There's definitely places plants prefer. I have a philosophy that if I find a place where the plant is happy, that's where it stays.

I think most of the valley has the black sticky soil that never dries out, IMO that's when Bamboo and other plants just keep spreading.

My giant Bamboo has a lot of new canes this year. This makes me happy Laughing

[Image: Giant-Bamboo.jpg]
(06-10-2019, 03:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't think there was anything invasive. The people who lived there before had beautiful flowers hiding a chain link fence for as long as I remember.

I think most of the valley has the black sticky soil that never dries out, IMO that's when Bamboo and other plants just keep spreading.

Why don't you just plant Ailanthus trees while you are at it?
(06-10-2019, 04:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 09:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: You don't want it on your house. And it does spread and is hard to eradicate. I took it off the side of the house because it has suckers, like ivy and was pulling the siding off and going up under the roof shingles. But it kept coming back. It was just a constant thing to keep it back. Hummingbirds and pollinators love the flowers.

What does that have to do with Bamboo?
(06-10-2019, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 12:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't think plants that spread do so where I live. The trumpet vines were on the fence and didn't spread anywhere for 20 years or so.

Obnoxious, aggressive growing things.
(06-10-2019, 10:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 01:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: There's definitely places plants prefer. I have a philosophy that if I find a place where the plant is happy, that's where it stays.

There aren't many plants I would describe that way. Blackberries are one. I like the tropical look. That's why I like Pampas grass. And I've also cut and used bamboo for staking plants and things.
Haven't you ever seen a bamboo grove?

When I moved to this property there was not a lot of green anything growing. So my philosophy has pretty much been let anything grow. It gets hotter out here than other parts of the valley. My pond and the area around is has so many trees now that when it's super hot and there is a breeze the air is noticeably cooled by all the foliage.

To many poplar trees are Obnoxious, aggressive growing things . I've learned to really like them and I've planted them all over. I have a whole row that shades the southwest side of my house in the afternoon.
(06-09-2019, 11:38 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: One of my neighbors moved and a new guy moved in. They were ripping and tearing lots of stuff out .So one day in the winter when I saw them out I told them all those vines on the chain link fence were trumpet vines and they had beautiful flowers every year.
They tore them out anyway. So now it's a butt ugly fence. The guy who bought the places farther who actually has a work ethic and some pride. Used to come and do a lot of work. I haven't seen the son do anything.
Dad rented a backhoe excavator thing and I watched him work his ass off removing a stump in the front yard. And at the time they STARTED to put new siding on the house but 2 years later they  haven't done more than one foot. Also the roof shingles are totally shot so he has black plastic on the roof  for the last 2 years.
But Hey they got rid of the stump Blink

I've witnessed similar thing many times. New owner moves in and cuts down all the trees. Quite often they came from California. I don't get it. Maybe they just don't like trees?

My current new neighbor immediately destroyed all the landscaping after moving in. They hacked everything up with a meat clever (actually a meat clever!) so it looks (and is) thrashed. They even limbed up the pine trees as high as they could climb. I couldn't watch, their unsafe tree cutting scared me to death.

When we moved to our place we had no choice but to cut it all down and start over from a clean slate. The back yard had been neglected for so long there was no hope of just pruning things back and working with what was there, it was overgrown to the max, all the plants, trees and shrubs intertwined with one another, all vying for light including blackberries that had been allowed to establish. We doubled the usable size of our back yard by just getting rid of the jungle. Took out some sort of half rotten decorative plum tree (don't know who in their right mind would plant one of those) a sickly looking cherry that was growing about 6 different directions, none of which was up, and some other obnoxious tree. However, I am proud that we were able to save some well established grape vines that you could almost have made the case were dead or beyond salvage, but amazing what a little pruning and opening up the jungle so they could get some sun did to restore them, now they are thriving.
The BIG day, when the tree guy we hired showed up with his chipper and we set out to take it all down, a neighbor came over to say thank you for reclaiming the eyesore of a yard. Big Grin

Since then we have been chipping away at creating the yard we want. Added an apple tree and a maple, etc. Garden space, flower beds. So sometimes folks moving in have reasons for doing what they do to yards and landscaping, but I can't understand why folks would take stuff down just for the sake of doing so and not replenish anything.
(06-11-2019, 11:04 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: One of my neighbors moved and a new guy moved in. They were ripping and tearing lots of stuff out .So one day in the winter when I saw them out I told them all those vines on the chain link fence were trumpet vines and they had beautiful flowers every year.
They tore them out anyway. So now it's a butt ugly fence. The guy who bought the places farther who actually has a work ethic and some pride. Used to come and do a lot of work. I haven't seen the son do anything.
Dad rented a backhoe excavator thing and I watched him work his ass off removing a stump in the front yard. And at the time they STARTED to put new siding on the house but 2 years later they  haven't done more than one foot. Also the roof shingles are totally shot so he has black plastic on the roof  for the last 2 years.

I've witnessed similar thing many times. New owner moves in and cuts down all the trees. Quite often they came from California. I don't get it. Maybe they just don't like trees?

My current new neighbor immediately destroyed all the landscaping after moving in. They hacked everything up with a meat clever (actually a meat clever!) so it looks (and is) thrashed. They even limbed up the pine trees as high as they could climb. I couldn't watch, their unsafe tree cutting scared me to death.

When we moved to our place we had no choice but to cut it all down and start over from a clean slate. The back yard had been neglected for so long there was no hope of just pruning things back and working with what was there, it was overgrown to the max, all the plants, trees and shrubs intertwined with one another, all vying for light including blackberries that had been allowed to establish. We doubled the usable size of our back yard by just getting rid of the jungle. Took out some sort of half rotten decorative plum tree (don't know who in their right mind would plant one of those) a sickly looking cherry that was growing about 6 different directions, none of which was up, and some other obnoxious tree. However, I am proud that we were able to save some well established grape vines that you could almost have made the case were dead or beyond salvage, but amazing what a little pruning and opening up the jungle so they could get some sun did to restore them, now they are thriving.
The BIG day, when the tree guy we hired showed up with his chipper and we set out to take it all down, a neighbor came over to say thank you for reclaiming the eyesore of a yard. Big Grin

Since then we have been chipping away at creating the yard we want. Added an apple tree and a maple, etc. Garden space, flower beds. So sometimes folks moving in have reasons for doing what they do to yards and landscaping, but I can't understand why folks would take stuff down just for the sake of doing so and not replenish anything.

Sure there are exceptions and good reasons to do that. I wasn't talking about that though. My neighbors yard was one of the nicest ones in the neighborhood before the thrashing. Now it about the worst. On the plus side it makes my yard look sooo much better!   Big Grin
(06-11-2019, 11:04 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Yeah I guess people just get a little over zealous trying to make something their own. Once at a rental we lived at I built a three rail fence from cedar logs I cut and split and hauled out of the mountains.
I dug deep holes and put wide poles in the ground so I could notch them to fit in the runners. I was very proud of it and it was so sturdy I could walk along the top rail and jump up and down ( which I did LOL).
It paralleled the drive way and gave a border to the lawn. Everyone was very impressed and commented on it.
Anyway we moved out and the owner moved back in and promptly tore out the fence and to this day there is nothing there.

My wife found this property , over grown and abandoned. We found the owner through public tax records and offered to move in and clean it up and do other work for 50 bucks a month. It didn't even have a kitchen so I found one of those vintage metal kitchen sets. With the sink and all the lower cabinets. And I found wooden uppers. I built a small barn. I built a bridge over the irrigation canal by hauling logs and bolting them together.Plenty of electrical work etc.
Anyway eventually the owner realized it was time to kick us out LOL.. WE knew it was coming but he got the better deal.
(06-10-2019, 11:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 03:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think most of the valley has the black sticky soil that never dries out, IMO that's when Bamboo and other plants just keep spreading.

There aren't many plants I would describe that way. Blackberries are one. I like the tropical look. That's why I like Pampas grass. And I've also cut and used bamboo for staking plants and things.

When I moved to this property there was not a lot of green anything growing. So my philosophy has pretty much been let anything grow. It gets hotter out here than other parts of the valley. My pond and the area around is has so many trees now that when it's super hot and there is a breeze the air is noticeably cooled by all the foliage.

To many poplar trees are Obnoxious, aggressive growing things . I've learned to really like them and I've planted them all over. I have a whole row that shades the southwest side of my house in the afternoon.
I had bamboo at the other place. It took over the yard. The yard was a grove. What a nightmare. I could get rid of blackberry. But not bamboo.
(06-11-2019, 03:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 04:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: Why don't you just plant Ailanthus trees while you are at it?

I had bamboo at the other place. It took over the yard. The yard was a grove. What a nightmare. I could get rid of blackberry. But not bamboo.

Yes it's very invasive but that's not the point. You can grow it in containers. You can even bury the container flush with the ground. People actually dig a ditch and add concrete to stop it from spreading. OR in my case it's not invasive anyway.

I bought this bamboo from a lady that had it planted in a pot that was maybe 2 gal. It was still huge and tall. Since then I have cut it up and planted it elsewhere and this is what grew since. It looks better when it's not 100 degrees and it's pretty cool at night because there is a light fixture behind and it diffuses the light.

[Image: Bamboo-June-11-2019.jpg]
They are growing well

[Image: IMG-7520.jpg]
(06-11-2019, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: What does that have to do with Bamboo?

Yes it's very invasive but that's not the point. You can grow it in containers. You can even bury the container flush with the ground. People actually dig a ditch and add concrete to stop it from spreading. OR in my case it's not invasive anyway.

I bought this bamboo from a lady that had it planted in a pot that was maybe 2 gal. It was still huge and tall. Since then I have cut it up and planted it elsewhere and this is what grew since. It looks better when it's not 100 degrees and it's pretty cool at night because there is a light fixture behind and it diffuses the light.

Nice! How often do you need to water that pot of bamboo?
(06-11-2019, 06:59 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 10:14 PM)Juniper Wrote: Obnoxious, aggressive growing things.

Nice! How often do you need to water that pot of bamboo?
It depends on the weather of course but every other day with this weather. I have a lot of things I have to drag a hose around to. On a side note I just got home from Coastal and spent 110 bucks on two 50 ft rubber hoses, a couple splitters and a fancy smancy nozzle Confused Confused Laughing
That concrete thing explains why, at the this new place I found a bamboo start and it's got a chunck of concrete over it. I don't think they used enough concrete.
(06-11-2019, 09:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: That concrete thing explains why, at the this new place I found a bamboo start and it's got a chunck of concrete over it. I don't think they used enough concrete.

That concrete thing?
(06-12-2019, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 09:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: That concrete thing explains why, at the this new place I found a bamboo start and it's got a chunck of concrete over it. I don't think they used enough concrete.

That concrete thing?

Putting concrete over bamboo.  Makes sense.
(06-12-2019, 08:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That concrete thing?

Putting concrete over bamboo.  Makes sense.

I don't think that stops bamboo.It spreads sideways. I remember a small claims court show like Judge Judy where the neighbors sued.
One neighbor planted bamboo along the property line and of course it invaded the neighbors yard. The neighbor who sued won.
(06-11-2019, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: They are growing well.

It's too bad there are not more posters, especially pot growers who might have noticed my trickery Cool

The plants smaller below were posted June 3 , The others June 11. No they did not really grow that much in 8 days LOL
I put in new bigger plants Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Image: IMG-7492.jpg]
(06-13-2019, 01:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: They are growing well.

It's too bad there are not more posters, especially pot growers who might have noticed my trickery Cool

The plants smaller below were posted June 3 , The others June 11. No they did not really grow that much in 8 days LOL
I put in new bigger plants Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Image: IMG-7492.jpg]

That last picture, shows your two tired.