What's in your garden?
I think I may have spider mites, at least that's what I think after about 5 mins of internet research. Teeny little blackish bugs and some leaves with yellow and whitish spots appearing. I smashed all i could find with my fingers, Probably about 15 or so. I have one doggone plant, a couple weeks into growing it and already have a pest problem, FFS. Probably from the used containers....
Any cheap/free organic treatment recommendations? No interest in using chemical insecticides or spending a lot of $$. Otherwise I will just smash them when I see them and let nature take it's course.
(06-20-2019, 09:45 AM)GPnative Wrote: I think I may have spider mites, at least that's what I think after about 5 mins of internet research. Teeny little blackish bugs and some leaves with yellow and whitish spots appearing. I smashed all i could find with my fingers, Probably about 15 or so. I have one doggone plant, a couple weeks into growing it and already have a pest problem, FFS. Probably from the used containers....
Any cheap/free organic treatment recommendations? No interest in using chemical insecticides or spending a lot of $$. Otherwise I will just smash them when I see them and let nature take it's course.

People tend to look a lot closer at pot or hemp plants than tomatoes or whatever else they grow. It's natural for bugs to be on plants. It may not be an infestation that gets worse and worse.
So just do what you have been doing and see if it gets any worse. The ones I have seen were always sort of a rust color. You can buy a jewelers loop pretty cheap. If you can see them and smash them with your fingers I think they are too big to be spider mites.

But they are tiny!  Tiny, destructive creatures that easily move around in your plants undetected because they are so small you don’t notice them.  They are only 1/50 of an inch long in their adult stage.  That’s small!
Then they often hang out on the underside of the foliage feeding away like thieves in the night.
So how can you tell if you have them?  Look for tiny yellow spots on the leaves and needles of your plants.  Spider mites have tiny mouths that are designed to suck the juice out of  individual plant cells.  So they attack your plants one cell at at time and the damage really doesn’t start to show up until they have destroyed the majority of cells on a leaf or an area of the plant.
 [url=http://backyardgrowers.com/freegift/?utm_source=mbyn_7874&utm_medium=textlink&utm_campaign=freegifts&utm_content=8][/url]
If you hold a piece of white paper under a branch that you are concerned about, then sharply wrap the branch with a pencil you might knock some off onto to the paper where you can see them.  But you really have to look closely because they look like walking dust particles.
Since they like it hot and dry you can actually blast them off your plants with a sharp stream of water from the garden hose.  Or you can spray your plants with an insecticidal soap that will get rid of the mites but not harm your plants.
(06-20-2019, 12:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 09:45 AM)GPnative Wrote: I think I may have spider mites, at least that's what I think after about 5 mins of internet research. Teeny little blackish bugs and some leaves with yellow and whitish spots appearing. I smashed all i could find with my fingers, Probably about 15 or so. I have one doggone plant, a couple weeks into growing it and already have a pest problem, FFS. Probably from the used containers....

People tend to look a lot closer at pot or hemp plants than tomatoes or whatever else they grow. It's natural for bugs to be on plants. It may not be an infestation that gets worse and worse.
So just do what you have been doing and see if it gets any worse. The ones I have seen were always sort of a rust color. You can buy a jewelers loop pretty cheap. If you can see them and smash them with your fingers I think they are too big to be spider mites.

But they are tiny!  Tiny, destructive creatures that easily move around in your plants undetected because they are so small you don’t notice them.  They are only 1/50 of an inch long in their adult stage.  That’s small!
Then they often hang out on the underside of the foliage feeding away like thieves in the night.
So how can you tell if you have them?  Look for tiny yellow spots on the leaves and needles of your plants.  Spider mites have tiny mouths that are designed to suck the juice out of  individual plant cells.  So they attack your plants one cell at at time and the damage really doesn’t start to show up until they have destroyed the majority of cells on a leaf or an area of the plant.
 [url=http://backyardgrowers.com/freegift/?utm_source=mbyn_7874&utm_medium=textlink&utm_campaign=freegifts&utm_content=8][/url]
If you hold a piece of white paper under a branch that you are concerned about, then sharply wrap the branch with a pencil you might knock some off onto to the paper where you can see them.  But you really have to look closely because they look like walking dust particles.
Since they like it hot and dry you can actually blast them off your plants with a sharp stream of water from the garden hose.  Or you can spray your plants with an insecticidal soap that will get rid of the mites but not harm your plants.

Thanks for info and I am not too worried about it. I am not looking to grow a primo award winning plant. But I would like to see it able to produce some buds so hate to see some little buggers damaging my leaves, Will have to dig a little deeper on what I am dealing with, these are large enough to see on the leaf, but I don't think I'd call them walking dust particles, more like walking salt granules Big Grin
But with just this one single plant, it's not hard to give it a quick once over and smash any that I see.
(06-20-2019, 02:34 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Thanks for info and I am not too worried about it. I am not looking to grow a primo award winning plant. But I would like to see it able to produce some buds so hate to see some little buggers damaging my leaves, Will have to dig a little deeper on what I am dealing with, these are large enough to see on the leaf, but I don't think I'd call them walking dust particles, more like walking salt granules Big Grin
But with just this one single plant, it's not hard to give it a quick once over and smash any that I see.

It doesn't sound like spider mites. I've used soapy water to kill bugs like that with a spray bottle. It doesn't have to be very soapy. It smothers them. Then you can rinse it off with clean water.
Actually maybe you can spray them off with only clean water.
(06-20-2019, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 02:34 PM)GPnative Wrote:

It doesn't sound like spider mites. I've used soapy water to kill bugs like that with a spray bottle. It doesn't have to be very soapy. It smothers them. Then you can rinse it off with clean water.
Actually maybe you can spray them off with only clean water.

Yup, i think spraying them off should work.
I know it bums Juniper out to come to the garden thread and see weed Laughing But nevertheless I know many others are waiting with baited breath to see my next pictures of my pot GAR Razz DEN

[Image: IMG-7558.jpg]

[Image: IMG-7557.jpg]

[Image: IMG-7556.jpg]
(06-28-2019, 05:22 PM)tvguy Wrote: I know it bums Juniper out to come to the garden thread and see weed Laughing But nevertheless I know many others are waiting with baited breath to see my next pictures of my pot GAR Razz DEN

Those are silk ones from the craft store, right?

Razz
(06-28-2019, 05:22 PM)tvguy Wrote: I know it bums Juniper out to come to the garden thread and see weed Laughing But nevertheless I know many others are waiting with baited breath to see my next pictures of my pot GAR Razz DEN

What fertilizer you using?
(06-28-2019, 08:46 PM)GPnative Wrote:

What fertilizer you using?
 I don't know exactly. I have a partner who is handling all that. Nothing has been added since they were planted but the soil was amended with bone meal , worm castings and I'm not sure what else.
Next we are bringing in a big water container so the plants can be be fertilized and watered at the same time.
today

[Image: IMG-7569.jpg]
I know no one cares LOL but.....

[Image: IMG-7579.jpg]
  [Image: IMG-7578.jpg]
I care, i like comparing my hemp plant. Yours are quite a bit larger. But admittedly i am not feeding mine. Do you ever snip off leaves that are looking poorly or just let it go?
It's not that I don't care, but I would rather see a nice veggie garden.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(07-29-2019, 05:31 PM)Scrapper Wrote: It's not that I don't care, but I would rather see a nice veggie garden.

I would too LOL.
(07-29-2019, 05:21 PM)GPnative Wrote: I care, i like comparing my hemp plant. Yours are quite a bit larger. But admittedly i am not feeding mine. Do you ever snip off leaves that are looking poorly or just let it go?

There are no leaves that are looking poorly. But yes later there will be and yes I will pull a lot off. Also I'll get rid of a lot of lower branches that will only have small buds.
That gives more energy to the rest of the plant. Also thinning it helps stop bugs from infesting them.

[Image: IMG-7615.jpg]
(07-29-2019, 05:31 PM)Scrapper Wrote: It's not that I don't care, but I would rather see a nice veggie garden.

I've had the same thought, but didn't want to say it.  The pot gardens bore me no end.
(07-29-2019, 08:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I've had the same thought, but didn't want to say it.  The pot gardens bore me no end.

Then dont think of it as pot, think of it as an herb such as dill, parsley, oregano, etc.   Razz
(07-29-2019, 08:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

actually you have said it before
woohoo only a couple days left until they start to bud Laughing Razz

[Image: 8-15-2019-c.jpg]

[Image: 8-15-2019-b.jpg]

[Image: 8-15-2019-a.jpg]
All I tried to grow from the garden this year was sunflowers...I planted hundreds of seeds. None survived. I don't have a single sunflower. I planted one single tomato and it died also. Weird.