What's in your garden?
(08-15-2019, 10:28 PM)Juniper Wrote: All I tried to grow from the garden this year was sunflowers...I planted hundreds of seeds. None survived. I don't have a single sunflower.  I planted one single tomato and it died also.  Weird.

Something must have eaten the seeds. The tomato you planted was a start?
(08-16-2019, 06:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:28 PM)Juniper Wrote: All I tried to grow from the garden this year was sunflowers...I planted hundreds of seeds. None survived. I don't have a single sunflower.  I planted one single tomato and it died also.  Weird.

Pretty much everything I've planted this year isn't doing as well as last years plantings, except tomatoes. They're doing gangbusters compared to last year.

I think it's mostly my own fault. I'm still learning how to do this, what works and what works better.

Next year, just wait 'til next year!   Smiling Laughing

Yes, I know a blue jay was eyeballing them...but then I started noticing sprouts with the leaves nibbled, so something was eating the seedlings too. And it was voracious as, I planted so many.  The tomato was an established plant I bought. It just didn't do well where i planted it, it just shriveled up and died after a while.
(08-16-2019, 09:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes, I know a blue jay was eyeballing them...but then I started noticing sprouts with the leaves nibbled, so something was eating the seedlings too. And it was voracious as, I planted so man. The tomato was an established plant I bought. It just didn't do well where i planted it, it just shriveled up and died after a while.

Earwigs
(08-16-2019, 07:07 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Pretty much everything I've planted this year isn't doing as well as last years plantings, except tomatoes. They're doing gangbusters compared to last year.

I think it's mostly my own fault. I'm still learning how to do this, what works and what works better.

Plenty of sun, Rich loamy soil never wet and never dry. Don't plant too early.
(08-16-2019, 09:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Rich loamy soil??   I can't afford to move.   Dry
(08-16-2019, 10:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 09:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Rich loamy soil??   I can't afford to move.   Dry

You have to amend LOL. My soil is about a foot deep and rocky because I live so close the the Rogue. I'm over that from not on I'm only going to grow in raised beds.
(08-15-2019, 02:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: woohoo only a couple days left until they start to bud Laughing Razz

[Image: 8-15-2019-c.jpg]

[Image: 8-15-2019-b.jpg]

[Image: 8-15-2019-a.jpg]

Yikes, mine went to nitrogen deficient virtually overnight! Never thought it could happen so fast, i fed it about 2 weeks ago the last of the fertilizer i had and spaced buying more, found some 4,3,3 liquid fertilizer in the garage we used for house plants, i mixed up a gallon of that and dumped it in, fingers crossed it recovers.
(08-18-2019, 08:00 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 02:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: woohoo only a couple days left until they start to bud Laughing Razz

[Image: 8-15-2019-c.jpg]

[Image: 8-15-2019-b.jpg]

[Image: 8-15-2019-a.jpg]

Yikes, mine went to nitrogen deficient virtually overnight! Never thought it could happen so fast, i fed it about 2 weeks ago the last of the fertilizer i had and spaced buying more, found some 4,3,3 liquid fertilizer in the garage we used for house plants, i mixed up a gallon of that and dumped it in, fingers crossed it recovers.

What size pot is it in?  When pot is in it's vegetative cycle which means all the time up until it starts to bud. You are supposed to have a high nitrogen fertilizer. Nitrogen promotes stem growth,
And just before and during plants when plants bloom you use a very low nitrogen fertilizer.So I think 4,3,3 is wrong for this time of year but I'm sure it's better than nothing.

I don't know anything at all about growing hemp but I wonder why all the hemp plants I see are so small?
(08-19-2019, 11:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:

What size pot is it in?  When pot is in it's vegetative cycle which means all the time up until it starts to bud. You are supposed to have a high nitrogen fertilizer. Nitrogen promotes stem growth,
And just before and during plants when plants bloom you use a very low nitrogen fertilizer.So I think 4,3,3 is wrong for this time of year but I'm sure it's better than nothing.

I don't know anything at all about growing hemp but I wonder why all the hemp plants I see are so small?

I don't know anything about growing hemp either Laughing  however, I will say it seems to me a lot of folks were well behind the curve in getting it into the ground. My plant is by no means a massive specimen, but it is considerably larger than most of what I'm seeing out there, almost as tall as me, just shy of 6'. I figured the 4.3.3. was not ideal, but it was late and it's all I had and I did not want to wait until this afternoon to do something about it, was afraid what another 24 hours would do to it. I wanted to get some nitrogen in the soil ASAP. Figured I had nothing to lose so I rolled with it. When I get home later I will take a closer look and trim off all the yellowed leaves.
(08-19-2019, 01:55 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I don't know anything about growing hemp either Laughing  however, I will say it seems to me a lot of folks were well behind the curve in getting it into the ground. My plant is by no means a massive specimen, but it is considerably larger than most of what I'm seeing out there, almost as tall as me, just shy of 6'. I figured the 4.3.3. was not ideal, but it was late and it's all I had and I did not want to wait until this afternoon to do something about it, was afraid what another 24 hours would do to it. I wanted to get some nitrogen in the soil ASAP. Figured I had nothing to lose so I rolled with it. When I get home later I will take a closer look and trim off all the yellowed leaves.

It's weird. I haven't seen any hemp plants close to six feet tall. I think maybe they want them small for some reason.
(08-19-2019, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 01:55 PM)GPnative Wrote:

It's weird. I haven't seen any hemp plants close to six feet tall. I think maybe they want them small for some reason.

They ARE small.  I don't see the fields often but when I do, I'm always impressed, or rather unimpressed with the size of them.  I thought hemp got huge.
From august 11 MMT
The article is about how officials are worried about explosions when people start extracting the CBD oil from all the hemp.

By Vickie Aldous

Mail Tribune
The explosive growth in popularity of hemp oil products could lead to literal explosions in the Rogue Valley.
A hemp extract called cannabidiol, or CBD, is popping up in everything from lotions to smoothies across the nation.
CBD doesn’t produce a high like the THC found in marijuana. Although more research is needed, studies show CBD can ease a variety of medical problems, including epileptic seizures and chronic pain.
Hemp jumped into first place among Jackson County crops, passing up grapes and pears, with 8,579 acres planted this year, according to the Oregon Department of Agriculture.

Growers hope to sell their hemp or process it themselves to extract the oil, which can sell for as much as $12,000 per ounce, according to the Associated Press.

Gold, meanwhile, is trading this week for $1,500 per ounce.

How in the hell can that be true? I bought either a gram or a half gram in a little glass vile that goes in a vape pen.
I paid 35 bucks
If it was a gram that means an ounce was worth 980 bucks . Or 1/2 is double that.

The MMT is full of shit. I've looked on Google and there no way in hell an ounce is worth 12 thousand bucks.
More like 200 bucks.
(08-19-2019, 10:33 PM)tvguy Wrote: From august 11 MMT
The article is about how officials are worried about explosions when people start extracting the CBD oil from all the hemp.

By Vickie Aldous

Mail Tribune
The explosive growth in popularity of hemp oil products could lead to literal explosions in the Rogue Valley.
A hemp extract called cannabidiol, or CBD, is popping up in everything from lotions to smoothies across the nation.
CBD doesn’t produce a high like the THC found in marijuana. Although more research is needed, studies show CBD can ease a variety of medical problems, including epileptic seizures and chronic pain.
Hemp jumped into first place among Jackson County crops, passing up grapes and pears, with 8,579 acres planted this year, according to the Oregon Department of Agriculture.

Growers hope to sell their hemp or process it themselves to extract the oil, which can sell for as much as $12,000 per ounce, according to the Associated Press.

How in the hell can that be true? I bought either a gram or a half gram in a little glass vile that goes in a vape pen.
I paid 35 bucks
If it was a gram that means an ounce was worth 980 bucks . Or 1/2 is double that.

The MMT is full of shit. I've looked on Google and there no way in hell an ounce is worth 12 thousand bucks.
More like 200 bucks.

Without question that is a typo or they are colossal morons.
(08-20-2019, 07:04 AM)GPnative Wrote:

By Vickie Aldous

Mail Tribune

I paid 35 bucks

More like 200 bucks.

I got an email back from the author of this article. Big Grin

"We've changed the article online because the information I got from the Associated Press saying refined pure CBD oil was $12,000 an ounce appears to be wrong. Pure refined oil, which is then used to make consumer products, can sell for $12,000 per POUND, according to people in the industry."

Appears to be wrong???? Blink
(08-20-2019, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

By Vickie Aldous

Mail Tribune

I paid 35 bucks

More like 200 bucks.

"We've changed the article online because the information I got from the Associated Press saying refined pure CBD oil was $12,000 an ounce appears to be wrong. Pure refined oil, which is then used to make consumer products, can sell for $12,000 per POUND, according to people in the industry."

So he/she blames the AP, did no fact checking of their own, but still leaves it open ended by saying it "appears" wrong....well he APPEARS to be an idiot.
(08-20-2019, 01:52 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

By Vickie Aldous

Mail Tribune

I paid 35 bucks

More like 200 bucks.

So he/she blames the AP, did no fact checking of their own, but still leaves it open ended by saying it "appears" wrong....well he APPEARS to be an idiot.

She LOL. When I google "CBD oil was $12,000"  Nothing come up but the article SHE wrote. Unsure
Maybe California prices, after taxes
There is rain in my garden! And not just a few minutes either.
(08-29-2019, 06:05 PM)Cuzz Wrote: There is rain in my garden! And not just a few minutes either.

Yes, it rained as I was watering mine. I didn't stop watering though.