What's in your garden?
(08-29-2019, 06:05 PM)Cuzz Wrote: There is rain in my garden! And not just a few minutes either.

My brother said it was a gully washer in Phoenix (Or.) It rained one drop at my place on the Agate desert and I saw three flies a mosquito and a grasshopper fighting over it.
(08-30-2019, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 06:05 PM)Cuzz Wrote: There is rain in my garden! And not just a few minutes either.

My brother said it was a gully washer in Phoenix (Or.) It rained one drop at my place on the Agate desert and I saw three flies a mosquito and a grasshopper fighting over it.

OK, come on, who won???   Surprised Big Grin
(08-30-2019, 06:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OK, come on, who won???   Surprised Big Grin
I'm not sure but after the dust settled the grass hopper was wiping his lips.
[Image: pot-9-5-2019-b.jpg]

[Image: 9-5-2019-c.jpg]

[Image: pot-9-5-2019.jpg]
(09-05-2019, 04:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:     [Image: pot-9-5-2019.jpg]

When do you know when it's time to harvest? Hempy is looking good and producing what I believe are called colas, but I have not done research yet on the next step, I drive by many hemp fields daily (at this point, who doesn't?) I am sort of waiting and watching to see what they do and when I see them starting to cut, I was going assume it was time for me to do the same.
(09-10-2019, 07:38 AM)GPnative Wrote:

When do you know when it's time to harvest? Hempy is looking good and producing what I believe are called colas, but I have not done research yet on the next step, I drive by many hemp fields daily (at this point, who doesn't?) I am sort of waiting and watching to see what they do and when I see them starting to cut, I was going assume it was time for me to do the same.

With marijuana when the white hairs all turn red is an easy way. Or when the trichomes the tiny bubbles on the buds turn from clear to milky or even amber.
I don't have a clue if hemp is the same
(09-10-2019, 08:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:

With marijuana when the white hairs all turn red is an easy way. Or when the trichomes the tiny bubbles on the buds turn from clear to milky or even amber.

I am going to have to do some reading up on it this week. Is Sept a pretty standard month for you to harvest your crop or can it go longer?
(09-10-2019, 08:59 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 08:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I am going to have to do some reading up on it this week. Is Sept a pretty standard month for you to harvest your crop or can it go longer?
I think it will be in October maybe the first week.
I don't know about harvest, but I know the entire west side smells like one giant open bag of pot right now. Especially towards Jacksonville Hwy.
(09-11-2019, 09:12 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know about harvest, but I know the entire west side smells like one giant open bag of pot right now. Especially towards Jacksonville Hwy.

I'm guessing that's hemp? My weed is just starting to smell.
(09-12-2019, 02:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 09:12 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know about harvest, but I know the entire west side smells like one giant open bag of pot right now. Especially towards Jacksonville Hwy.

I'm guessing that's hemp? My weed is just starting to smell.

That's what I'm saying....if it's harvest time, maybe the smell is part of the indicator that it's ready.  It was even stronger today.
It's been difficult to find helpful hemp related harvest info for a total novice like me. A lot of what I found was just large scale biomass type harvesting, which is not helpful, I am not making clothes or rope or oil. However, I read and watched a lot on the processing of marijuana, so I am just going to treat it as such and process it that way and go with it. Speaking of, TV, do you trim yours fresh and then hang the trimmed buds to dry, or do you hang first and then trim when dry? Seems like it is commonly done both ways, I was leaning towards trimming once it's dry so I wont need any screen setup for drying the trimmings.
(09-13-2019, 12:08 PM)GPnative Wrote: It's been difficult to find helpful hemp related harvest info for a total novice like me. A lot of what I found was just large scale biomass type harvesting, which is not helpful, I am not making clothes or rope or oil. However, I read and watched a lot on the processing of marijuana, so I am just going to treat it as such and process it that way and go with it. Speaking of, TV, do you trim yours fresh and then hang the trimmed buds to dry, or do you hang first and then trim when dry? Seems like it is commonly done both ways, I was leaning towards trimming once it's dry so I wont need any screen setup for drying the trimmings.

There are a number of ways to trim and cure bud. The first year I just cut a branch off. Brought it in to the house and trimmed it right down to tight buds. And we would do that until we were tired, sweep up the mess and do it all over again the next day.

The problem with that was it leaves the plants out in the weather which was cold and damp and you get mold in your bud.
Now we still bring in a few branches. We then pull off all the big leaves and most of the smaller ones and do a quick but not complete trim.
We end up with bud still on the stem about a foot long at the most . We hang these in a drying room where the temperature and humidity are controlled so the buds take about one week to dry.
Then we put that bud in to plastic sealing tubs where you cure it. You do this by sealing the bud in the tub. Then  every day you burp it. Meaning you take the lid off and let it air out.You keep doing this until the bud is just right. not too dry , not too moist.
Now you can trim the bud anytime even many months later. With this method we can get the plants harvested
a lot quicker and do the painstaking work of trimming when we have the time.
(09-13-2019, 01:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 12:08 PM)GPnative Wrote: It's been difficult to find helpful hemp related harvest info for a total novice like me. A lot of what I found was just large scale biomass type harvesting, which is not helpful, I am not making clothes or rope or oil. However, I read and watched a lot on the processing of marijuana, so I am just going to treat it as such and process it that way and go with it. Speaking of, TV, do you trim yours fresh and then hang the trimmed buds to dry, or do you hang first and then trim when dry? Seems like it is commonly done both ways, I was leaning towards trimming once it's dry so I wont need any screen setup for drying the trimmings.

There are a number of ways to trim and cure bud. The first year I just cut a branch off. Brought it in to the house and trimmed it right down to tight buds. And we would do that until we were tired, sweep up the mess and do it all over again the next day.

The problem with that was it leaves the plants out in the weather which was cold and damp and you get mold in your bud.
Now we still bring in a few branches. We then pull off all the big leaves and most of the smaller ones and do a quick but not complete trim.
We end up with bud still on the stem about a foot long at the most . We hang these in a drying room where the temperature and humidity are controlled so the buds take about one week to dry.
Then we put that bud in to plastic sealing tubs where you cure it. You do this by sealing the bud in the tub. Then  every day you burp it. Meaning you take the lid off and let it air out.You keep doing this until the bud is just right. not too dry , not too moist.
Now you can trim the bud anytime even many months later. With this method we can get the plants harvested
a lot quicker and do the painstaking work of trimming when we have the time.

Got it, Given we only have one plant I was planning on doing the curing/burping in wide mouth canning jars as I saw done on a youtube vid. But I assume If I do not do a complete trim first, jars would probably not work very well, Guess I am going to play it by ear. I like the idea you said of the quick down and dirty trim and just getting it hung up to dry and doing the tedious work later.

I will still need to figure out how to deal with the trim, I plan on keeping as much as possible, figure even the larger leaves can get dried and stash them in the freezer to be used for baking, smoothies (my wife likes smoothies) etc.

I've enjoyed this summer long experiment and look forward to the next stage. Already have a few ideas for what to improve upon next year.
I saw this and it made me think of what is in your garden. LOL[Image: eb1965661ae61c78350c83cb3742a8cd.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(09-14-2019, 08:45 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I saw this and it made me think of what is in your garden. LOL[Image: eb1965661ae61c78350c83cb3742a8cd.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LOL.. BTW that bud is poorly trimmed Razz
TV, how much should one be concerned about breakage of branches under the strain of rain wet foliage?
(09-15-2019, 03:42 PM)GPnative Wrote: TV, how much should one be concerned about breakage of branches under the strain of rain wet foliage?

It's hard to see but If you look at my pics you can see the plastic netting stuff. We put it at about 3 feet and 5 feet high horizontally and the plants grow through it. That's what the 2X4's are for. And also each plant is wrapped in the netting.
Even doing that may not be enough. Some of the branches sticking out that have huge buds may need support. If so I'll tie them up with some thick string I have.

[Image: bud-xxxxx.jpg]

[Image: bub-zzzz.jpg]
Thats what i thought. I put our big patio umbrella over it which put a lot of it under cover, of course this was during the down pour, geez, those branches were bending something fierce. Will go out in a bit and see if i can tie up some of the others. If i had been thinking i should of used my dolly to wheel the whole damn thing to our covered back patio. Dont dare try that now.
(09-15-2019, 04:25 PM)GPnative Wrote: Thats what i thought. I put our big patio umbrella over it which put a lot of it under cover, of course this was during the down pour, geez, those branches were bending something fierce. Will go out in a bit and see if i can tie up some of the others. If i had been thinking i should of used my dolly to wheel the whole damn thing to our covered back patio. Dont dare try that now.

If you have any bamboo it makes excellent sticks you push in the the dirt and you cut the branches to make a fork to support branches.
I started raining hard here a few minutes ago.