What's in your garden?
Come on Cletus shoot that sucker, you didn't want no stinking salad anyway Laughing

[Image: deergardennew.jpg][/quote]
tvguy Wrote:Come on Cletus shoot that sucker, you didn't want no stinking salad anyway Laughing

[Image: deergardennew.jpg]
[/quote]
Bambi looks like he is having fun. However, Bambi and salad sounds good about now. I was explaining to the wife that deer are creatures of habit, so, quit throwing the apples in the back yard. I broke myself of that habit when I decided that a garden was not compatible with cute hungry deer. Big Grin
good thang you doesn't got no apple trees Big Grin
tvguy Wrote:good thang you doesn't got no apple trees Big Grin
That tree trunk in the background is an apple tree which is next to another apple tree. The deer stand on their hind legs to reach them in the fall. Trespassing thieving bastards.

[Image: HPIM0228.jpg]
You know, I'd go out right now, but listening to other peoples lawn mowers and weed eaters is a turn off for me. I know, I use those things, but when I'm inside and hear those outside, I don't want to go out. Right now it's someone feeding branches into the chipper attachment of his lawnmower. I didn't even know they made those.
Tia Wrote:You know, I'd go out right now, but listening to other peoples lawn mowers and weed eaters is a turn off for me. I know, I use those things, but when I'm inside and hear those outside, I don't want to go out. Right now it's someone feeding branches into the chipper attachment of his lawnmower. I didn't even know they made those.

What I hate are leaf blowers,IMO they are single biggest noise polluter. Yeah chippers might be worse but those damned leaf blowers are everywhere.
Leaf Blower Noise and Its Consequences

Noise interferes with communication, sleep, and work. The U.S. EPA says noise degrades quality of life by impairing communication and social interaction; reducing the accuracy of work, particularly complex tasks; and creating stressful levels of frustration and aggravation that last even when the noise has ceased (1).

Sacramento's city code states "Every person in the city is entitled to live in an environment free from excessive, unnecessary or offensive noise levels." Our General Plan states that the normally acceptable ambient noise level in residential areas is no more than 60 dB; 60-70 is conditionally acceptable; and higher levels are normally unacceptable. The decibel scale is logarithmic--each increase of 10, say 60 to 70, represents a noise 10 times louder.

The average blower measures 70-75 dB at 50 feet according to a manufacturer's lobbyist (2), thus louder at any closer distance. Leaf blowers are routinely used less than 50 feet from unconsenting pedestrians and neighboring homes that may be occupied by home workers, retirees, day sleepers, children, the ill or disabled, and pets.

The World Health Organization recommends general daytime outdoor noise levels of 55 dBA* or less, but 45 dBA to meet sleep criteria (3). Thus, even a 65-decibel leaf blower would be 100 times too loud** to allow healthful sleep (which often takes place during daytime hours for night workers and others). Noise can impair sleep even when the sleeper is not awakened.
tvguy Wrote:
Tia Wrote:You know, I'd go out right now, but listening to other peoples lawn mowers and weed eaters is a turn off for me. I know, I use those things, but when I'm inside and hear those outside, I don't want to go out. Right now it's someone feeding branches into the chipper attachment of his lawnmower. I didn't even know they made those.

What I hate are leaf blowers,IMO they are single biggest noise polluter. Yeah chippers might be worse but those damned leaf blowers are everywhere.

Honestly? I think blowers and chippers are about at the same level of annoying. I don't own either. I have a gas mower, (thank you, Kno1) and an electric weedeater (thank you Bbq). The rest are hand tools.
Don't forget today and tomorrow is the Gardening show at the Expo. I am heading there this afternoon. I will be the confused lady with tons of petunia's Razz Razz
Quote:Honestly? I think blowers and chippers are about at the same level of annoying.

Well yeah but the leaf blowers are a lot more common, many times you are assaulted from different directions from several of the damn things.

I guess Stihl makes on that supposed to be a lot quieter
Noise from yard machines don't borther me in the slightest, if ran at a reasonably time of days, the neighbors or their teenager is running them and keeping their yards looking neat. Electric anything is fine for a Postage Stamp size yard, but at 2 acres of grass and gardens, then 3 of back wood to maintance, I don't have that much heavy power cords. I learned long ago to weed eat along a neighbor fence and some of their out of the way places and they never said a word again about my noicey riding lawn mower on my side. For the most part all but one neighbors works to please or help each other. Why just today we made a trade and got to borrow a vertical wood splitter to do some big wood rounds, that we can't lift and will see that our West neighbor gets his big rounds done, at the same time. He will in turn will do something to help us out, one of these days. Might even go see if the East side neighbor wants to get in on the wood splitting since he has a back back and been working with a sledge as we will have this splitter for about 3 months. Heck he has chickens and wouldn't mind making a deal on fresh eggs.

As for what's in my garden, ain't no deer but tracks all around the fence line. Looking like I don't need to water anything and waiting for this weather to break, so I can get some potted plants into the ground, without putting umbrellas over them, it rained that hard in CJ.
tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Honestly? I think blowers and chippers are about at the same level of annoying.

Well yeah but the leaf blowers are a lot more common, many times you are assaulted from different directions from several of the damn things.

Not around here. Not too many folks use leaf blowers in my neighborhood, except the obsessed folks across the street. They FLIP if there is a brown spot or weed on the lawn.

No Expo for me. Went to one of the local back yard growers, and guess what I got TVguy? A Medford Tomato! DIL got two! Now I can see how it does!
Tia Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

Not around here. Not too many folks use leaf blowers in my neighborhood, except the obsessed folks across the street. They FLIP if there is a brown spot or weed on the lawn.

No Expo for me. Went to one of the local back yard growers, and guess what I got TVguy? A Medford Tomato! DIL got two! Now I can see how it does!

Cometmom....so, why are you confused? And what are you planning to do to those petunias!?
Well I went but didn't have much time to see it all. I usually want to buy everything. I love petunias. They are my favorite flower after tulips. They have so many varieties now. So where did you go to get plants?
Cometmom Wrote:Well I went but didn't have much time to see it all. I usually want to buy everything. I love petunias. They are my favorite flower after tulips. They have so many varieties now. So where did you go to get plants?

I went to a little family greenhouse on Bransom in CP. Off Grant road off Scenic. They weren't as cheap as the one TVguy listed but they were sweet and GS got to look at there cows and I did get the Medford Tomato. They had some good size petunia baskets for $15.00. That's why I was asking what the prices were like at the Expo.
Tia Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:Well I went but didn't have much time to see it all. I usually want to buy everything. I love petunias. They are my favorite flower after tulips. They have so many varieties now. So where did you go to get plants?

I went to a little family greenhouse on Bransom in CP. Off Grant road off Scenic. They weren't as cheap as the one TVguy listed but they were sweet and GS got to look at there cows and I did get the Medford Tomato. They had some good size petunia baskets for $15.00. That's why I was asking what the prices were like at the Expo.

There were some booths with baskets for 15.00. Most were 20.00. But there were alot of beautiful baskets. I wanted to get them all. I usually plant my own as I like to experiment with different color combinations.
Well, come this weekend my neighbor and I are planting our little garden. We've got one sungold tomato, one brandywine, one each of a red, orange and yellow bell peppers, a yellow squash, a tomatillo, dill, italian parsley, basil and....Oh. I want a cucumber. Space is fairly limited so I want to try to train it to grow up a frame on the edge of the raised bed so it doesn't take up too much ground space. Think it will work?
RobinBird Wrote:Well, come this weekend my neighbor and I are planting our little garden. We've got one sungold tomato, one brandywine, one each of a red, orange and yellow bell peppers, a yellow squash, a tomatillo, dill, italian parsley, basil and....Oh. I want a cucumber. Space is fairly limited so I want to try to train it to grow up a frame on the edge of the raised bed so it doesn't take up too much ground space. Think it will work?

Sure it will work just watch out for spiders!!
RobinBird Wrote:Well, come this weekend my neighbor and I are planting our little garden. We've got one sungold tomato, one brandywine, one each of a red, orange and yellow bell peppers, a yellow squash, a tomatillo, dill, italian parsley, basil and....Oh. I want a cucumber. Space is fairly limited so I want to try to train it to grow up a frame on the edge of the raised bed so it doesn't take up too much ground space. Think it will work?

Your garden sounds really nice. Watch out for that Brandywine! I had a couple of those last year, and the plants were HUGE! The tomatoes were delicious, though.
Well, I made a mistake in my gardening plans this year. I decided I wanted a small garden to grow things for my turtles. I went and bought different lettuce starts-salad mix, musclin, red and green butterleaf, etc. I also bought seeds, which is where the mistake came in. I have SO MUCH lettuce, I have no clue what to do with it all. Its growing now, but if anyone wants lettuce starts, let me know!