Random question thread
cletus1 Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:For example:

Does sugar make kids hyperactive? Well all you moms?

Yes. I think different foods will change behaviors of children. If you don't believe me, think of how a high carb meal will put you into a 'carb coma'.
What is a Carb Coma? I believe it is a made up word for getting tired after eating too much. If you are not hypoglycemic or diabetic, I don't think a coma is a possible outcome from diet choice. Turkey makes you tired too and so does Budweiser. Big Grin

I used to believe that a lot of sugar increased energy and thus made kids hyper. I now think I was wrong. The following is from the British Medical Journal it is interesting information. I love science.

Sugar causes hyperactivity in children
While sugarplums may dance in childrenâ??s heads, visions of holiday sweets terrorise parents with anticipation of hyperactive behaviour. Regardless of what parents might believe, however, sugar is not to blame for out of control little ones. At least 12 double blind randomised controlled trials have examined how children react to diets containing different levels of sugar.2 None of these studies, not even studies looking specifically at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, could detect any differences in behaviour between the children who had sugar and those who did not.3 This includes sugar from sweets, chocolate, and natural sources. Even in studies of those who were considered "sensitive" to sugar, children did not behave differently after eating sugar full or sugar-free diets.3

Scientists have even studied how parents react to the sugar myth. When parents think their children have been given a drink containing sugar (even if it is really sugar-free), they rate their childrenâ??s behaviour as more hyperactive.4 The differences in the childrenâ??s behaviour were all in the parentsâ?? minds.4

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/dec17_2/a2769

Maybe so, Cletus, but remember, I am in the BIZ! I see it. I also remember seeing an article about the sugar studies and seeing that it (perhaps not this one) had a test study of group of children who were given sugar then monitored for behavior, then given MORE sugar and monitored again and the results were that sugar did not increase hyperactivity. So, the test proved that given sugar, kids will not become hyperactive if given MORE sugar.

As for 'Carb Coma', ( a euphemism for feeling tired after ingesting high carbs as opposed to not have the feeling after eating low carbohydrate foods) the reason for fluctuation in energy is the amount of insulin being released by the pancreas. Too much sugar....or Carbohydrates stimulates too much insulin so that an overreaction takes place and blood glucose levels drop dramatically. That is the reason for the sleepiness. Also, it's no secret that diabetes is highest in populations that consume excessive amounts of refined sugar and carbohydrates. The reason why we see temporary increases in children's behavior after ingesting sugar or high carbohydrates is that it causes the blood sugar to rise very rapidly, releasing that energy. The reaction of the pancreas secreting insulin to remove the overload can cause the blood sugar drop causing the crankiness and irritability so many parents will tell you about. It's a direct correlation. I'm not here to say the studies are wrong, but to suggest that foods and food components can't have immediate effects on behavior is incorrect. I know I feel the difference if I take B vitamins or not. I feel energetic. Go figure. Our bodies are giant chemistry sets. Add a little of this, then this happens, do this, that happens. Saying I don't feel sleepy after consuming high carbs is like saying I don't get drunk if I drink too much.
Tia Wrote:Maybe so, Cletus, but remember, I am in the BIZ! I see it. I also remember seeing an article about the sugar studies and seeing that it (perhaps not this one) had a test study of group of children who were given sugar then monitored for behavior, then given MORE sugar and monitored again and the results were that sugar did not increase hyperactivity. So, the test proved that given sugar, kids will not become hyperactive if given MORE sugar.

As for 'Carb Coma', ( a euphemism for feeling tired after ingesting high carbs as opposed to not have the feeling after eating low carbohydrate foods) the reason for fluctuation in energy is the amount of insulin being released by the pancreas. Too much sugar....or Carbohydrates stimulates too much insulin so that an overreaction takes place and blood glucose levels drop dramatically. That is the reason for the sleepiness. Also, it's no secret that diabetes is highest in populations that consume excessive amounts of refined sugar and carbohydrates. The reason why we see temporary increases in children's behavior after ingesting sugar or high carbohydrates is that it causes the blood sugar to rise very rapidly, releasing that energy. The reaction of the pancreas secreting insulin to remove the overload can cause the blood sugar drop causing the crankiness and irritability so many parents will tell you about. It's a direct correlation. I'm not here to say the studies are wrong, but to suggest that foods and food components can't have immediate effects on behavior is incorrect. I know I feel the difference if I take B vitamins or not. I feel energetic. Go figure. Our bodies are giant chemistry sets. Add a little of this, then this happens, do this, that happens. Saying I don't feel sleepy after consuming high carbs is like saying I don't get drunk if I drink too much.
I never said that diet does not affect the way you feel. I said that the scientific study says that lots of sugar in your blood stream does not cause hyper behavior in kids. I want to believe that it does but the evidence is just not there. The body can only metabolize so much sugar at a time. The rest is metabolized over time. Otherwise I should be able to run faster or jump higher after a cheesecake but I can't. Big Grin
As for 'Carb Coma', ( a euphemism for feeling tired after ingesting high carbs as opposed to not have the feeling after eating low carbohydrate foods) the reason for fluctuation in energy is the amount of insulin being released by the pancreas. Too much sugar....or Carbohydrates stimulates too much insulin so that an overreaction takes place and blood glucose levels drop dramatically. That is the reason for the sleepiness. Also, it's no secret that diabetes is highest in populations that consume excessive amounts of refined sugar and carbohydrates. The reason why we see temporary increases in children's behavior after ingesting sugar or high carbohydrates is that it causes the blood sugar to rise very rapidly, releasing that energy. The reaction of the pancreas secreting insulin to remove the overload can cause the blood sugar drop causing the crankiness and irritability so many parents will tell you about. It's a direct correlation. I'm not here to say the studies are wrong, but to suggest that foods and food components can't have immediate effects on behavior is incorrect. I know I feel the difference if I take B vitamins or not. I feel energetic. Go figure. Our bodies are giant chemistry sets. Add a little of this, then this happens, do this, that happens. Saying I don't feel sleepy after consuming high carbs is like saying I don't get drunk if I drink too much.[/quote]
I never said that diet does not affect the way you feel. I said that the scientific study says that lots of sugar in your blood stream does not cause hyper behavior in kids. I want to believe that it does but the evidence is just not there. The body can only metabolize so much sugar at a time. The rest is metabolized over time. Otherwise I should be able to run faster or jump higher after a cheesecake but I can't. Big Grin[/quote]

Exactly. It is the action of the insulin on the sugar that is the 'metabolizing'. In the meantime there is a lot of sugar in the system that is NOT being metabolized. We metabolize alcohol but it is absorbed more quickly than it is metabolized. That is why we get drunk. Metabolism is the body's process of converting ingested substances to other compounds. It's what happening in the state between ingestion and metabolism that is the factor here.
Does anyone recall the old "myth" drink a glass of warm milk if you can't get to sleep? Well I have read that protein based foods will keep you awake whereas carbs help you get to sleep. Got milk?
Not a question, just a meaningless observation...

This song has been going round my brain for a week now. I'm trying to determine why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep3HbeNAW4g
Same artist, HILARIOUS song...

"Is it bigger than a bread box.." LMAO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58hHVlZC ... re=related
cletus1 Wrote:The answer is 24 time zones. Yeah, do we have to answer the previous question first?

I of course would pervert the thread and ask questions to which I believe that I know the answer, but many of you might not. Competition is more fun when there are clear winners and losers. Laughing

For example:

I wouldn't say it makes them hyperactive, but it sure can affect moods. Some kids are "allergic" to refined sugar and have mood swings after ingesting it. Amazing when you pull it out of the diet and a once moody little shit turns into a model citizen.

Unfortunately, keeping refined sugars away from children is a battle often lost.
Question: If an anonymous victim or defendant is known as "John Doe" what is an anonymous plaintiff called?
John Buck???? Razz
Poon56 Wrote:John Buck???? Razz
Laughing

There is an actual answer! Laughing
tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Is there a study that asks if Mountain Dew makes children hyperactive? :shock:
Now we are talking caffeine. I think that caffeine makes most people hyperactive. I know that Mountain Dew causes serious dental problems in kids, At least the ones that live in Harlan County Kentucky.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6863173&page=1

Pesis says no no Laughing
PepsiCo told ABC News in an initial statement that it's preposterous to blame soft drinks for dental decay, saying that raisins and cookies stay in the mouth longer. They added that a balanced diet and proper dental hygiene like flossing and brushing teeth after meals and snacks should prevent decay. CLICK HERE to read the first statement.

Actually Pepsi may have a point I just read that the story that coke will dissolve a tooth over night is a myth, it turns out Orange juice will dissolve a tooth just as fast as coke. They point out that when you drink something it only touches your teeth briefly.

I think the dental problems are from people who suck on pop all day long and like they said some of those people actually put pop in baby bottles Surprised

If pepsi co really felt that their products did not cause the dental decay, then why are they donating so much money for all those people (young and old) to get their dental work done. I know, good publicity on their part.
Tia Wrote:Question: If an anonymous victim or defendant is known as "John Doe" what is an anonymous plaintiff called?

Is it John Q Public
cletus1 Wrote:The answer is 24 time zones. Yeah, do we have to answer the previous question first?

I of course would pervert the thread and ask questions to which I believe that I know the answer, but many of you might not. Competition is more fun when there are clear winners and losers. Laughing

For example:

My take on this is that it's not the sugar but all the preservatives in the sugary treats that kids eat. JMO Confused
cletus1 Wrote:What is a Carb Coma? I believe it is a made up word for getting tired after eating too much. If you are not hypoglycemic or diabetic, I don't think a coma is a possible outcome from diet choice. Turkey makes you tired too and so does Budweiser. Big Grin

I am not 100% sure, and don't go spouting it around that I claimed to have invented the internet or anything, but I do believe that the phrase "Carb Coma," which is now an accepted phrase, was first uttered by me back in 1998 while posting on a popular Atkins Diet message board. I used it to describe how I felt after falling off the wagon on my birthday and it quickly became a well used phrase.

That doesn't mean that someone else hadn't had the same thought on a separate occasion, but I know when I uttered it, it was original to me at the time.
Snookie Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Question: If an anonymous victim or defendant is known as "John Doe" what is an anonymous plaintiff called?

Is it John Q Public

In America. But John Doe was created as an British legal term, so that being the case the plaintiff is called Richard Roe.
Javajabbers Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:What is a Carb Coma? I believe it is a made up word for getting tired after eating too much. If you are not hypoglycemic or diabetic, I don't think a coma is a possible outcome from diet choice. Turkey makes you tired too and so does Budweiser. Big Grin

I am not 100% sure, and don't go spouting it around that I claimed to have invented the internet or anything, but I do believe that the phrase "Carb Coma," which is now an accepted phrase, was first uttered by me back in 1998 while posting on a popular Atkins Diet message board. I used it to describe how I felt after falling off the wagon on my birthday and it quickly became a well used phrase.

That doesn't mean that someone else hadn't had the same thought on a separate occasion, but I know when I uttered it, it was original to me at the time.
So, I might have known it was you that started that particular medical myth. Just what do you have against science anyway? Hmmm? Laughing You know, I still feel a little guilty when I eat a potato. Damn him anyway.
If a tree falls in an Oregon forest four years from now, will a logger make it happen?
Lopaka Wrote:If a tree falls in an Oregon forest four years from now, did a logger make it happen?
No fucking way. And most small towns will be covered with dust....
Pepsi does have a point, but it is not the one they want you to buy. Namely, that their products taken in moderation are part of a healthy diet. That is pure BS. An honest statement would have been that "our sodas wont rot your teeth if you don't drink it like a hillbilly." I saw that ABC show on Appalachian poverty. I hate to say this, but many of those mountain folks appear to lack even a basic education. That in my opinion is the problem.[/quote]

I was reading the reactions to that show on the ABC site, and a LOT of Kentuckians were very offended by how Appalachians were portrayed in that show.
cletus1 Wrote:So, I might have known it was you that started that particular medical myth. Just what do you have against science anyway? Hmmm? Laughing You know, I still feel a little guilty when I eat a potato. Damn him anyway.

Yes, I dispensed medical wisdom ala the phrase "Carb Coma." Much like "Cat Butt" and "I think we left the Wookie in Kansas."

Let us not forget PUI. Of course, that is a well known medical situation as well as legal predicament.

Seriously though, when I used that term, it was utterly tongue in cheek. I just was describing how eating too many carbs knocked me out and made me sleepy.