Random question thread
TooAnxious Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Does anyone in Oregon ever call the Freeway the "Expressway"?

I don't know if people call it the Expressway, but I've had people laugh at me and tell me that they know that I lived in CA because I say "the I-5" instead of simply I-5.

ORLY! I say THE I-5 !!
Tia Wrote:
TooAnxious Wrote:

I don't know if people call it the Expressway, but I've had people laugh at me and tell me that they know that I lived in CA because I say "the I-5" instead of simply I-5.

ORLY! I say THE I-5 !!
That is a East coast thing.

In metropolitan areas where I have lived, an Expressway is a major street in the heart of a busy section, or a "beltway" type road around very busy part of the city. But, Expressways do have some cross traffic, and so some controlled intersections.
Freeways of course have no (or very, very few) intersections.
Wonky Wrote:

In metropolitan areas where I have lived, an Expressway is a major street in the heart of a busy section, or a "beltway" type road around very busy part of the city. But, Expressways do have some cross traffic, and so some controlled intersections.

What a fine answer, Wonky. Except the one qualifying point of it...have your heard it called 'Expressway' in a metropolitan area HERE in OREGON?? I know it is used in other parts of the country. I ask because I am having a disagreement with someone about it's use. I've never heard the Freeway or road in oregon called Expressway. Is there a place (in Oregon) where they do?
we had the 18th street expressway in KCK, but it was built as a toll road, allthough now free,hence the difference in terms.
In Chicago though, they cal the freeways expressways.
I've never heard the term here.
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

What a fine answer, Wonky. Except the one qualifying point of it...have your heard it called 'Expressway' in a metropolitan area HERE in OREGON?? I know it is used in other parts of the country. I ask because I am having a disagreement with someone about it's use. I've never heard the Freeway or road in oregon called Expressway. Is there a place (in Oregon) where they do?

Dunno know...I don't get out much. (Have to be back at "the home" by dark).

In Eugene there is the "Beltway" that is in fact an expressway around the northern part of the city. An example of a rose still being a rose if called by another name.
Don't know much about Portland.
The distinction however, is still that the "expressway type of road" is somewhere between a road that has many controlled intersections, and a freeway that has almost no controlled intersections. At least that's my best guess. My best guess is also that women NEVER fake orgasms and that FOX news is fair and balanced.
Azazael Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
TooAnxious Wrote:I don't know if people call it the Expressway, but I've had people laugh at me and tell me that they know that I lived in CA because I say "the I-5" instead of simply I-5.

ORLY! I say THE I-5 !!

Well, any doubts about you have been crystallized. Laughing Laughing
For what it's worth I grew up in Ohio and we all called it "the freeway".

Wonky your "beltway" I guess you know is short for "outer belt" which of course in nothing but a section of the freeway that goes around large cities.

Down in Caleefornya from what I've seen the people call the freeways by their number because there are so many so close together.
tvguy Wrote:For what it's worth I grew up in Ohio and we all called it "the freeway".

Wonky your "beltway" I guess you know is short for "outer belt" which of course in nothing but a section of the freeway that goes around large cities.

Down in Caleefornya from what I've seen the people call the freeways by their number because there are so many so close together.

True. I didn't know putting the article 'the' in front of the name made a difference in anyone's perception. Although I never really knew anyone in California who called California 'Cali".
Azazael Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
TooAnxious Wrote:I don't know if people call it the Expressway, but I've had people laugh at me and tell me that they know that I lived in CA because I say "the I-5" instead of simply I-5.

ORLY! I say THE I-5 !!

In Long Island, the Long Island Expressway is referred to as the L.I.E. There is the Southern State, Montaulk Highway and the Wantaugh (Wantaugh Parkway - pronounced 'Wan-taw'). In Westchester, NY and CT, we also refer to the Thru-way (I-95) which goes down to Florida. Most other main arteries are referred to by their actual names, like the Sawmill (Sawmill River Parkway), the Hutch (Hutcheson River Parkway) the Merritt (Merritt Parkway) the Taconic (Taconic State Parkway) or the Bronx River (Bronx River Parkway). They all have numbers but no one knows what they are, although I think the Merritt is '15'. 'Route 80' goes out of New Jersey into Pennsylvania and that's what it's called. Out west, roads just tend to be referred to by their numbers except for the Pacific Coast Highway, which is known as the P.C.H.
I used to catch the Turnpike.
Queue Wrote:I used to catch the Turnpike.

They can cure that now.
tvguy Wrote:For what it's worth I grew up in Ohio and we all called it "the freeway".

Nope. In Eugene they call it a beltway, but it's really an Expressway...have been on it. Freeways don't have controlled intersections. The Beltway does. So, I think the beltway is an expressway.

Yea, maybe your theory about the freeways being close together is why the folks in the LA Basin call them by number. In the S.F. Bay area, most of the freeways are named. For instance The Nimitz, Bay Shore, or Wonky. All named after people who have garnered great respect.

So, your are an Ohio boy. As was James Thurber, a writer of great talent and fame. You on the other hand have a great dog.
PonderThis Wrote:

They can cure that now.

Laughing X 100
TennisMom Wrote:
Azazael Wrote:
Tia Wrote:ORLY! I say THE I-5 !!

In Long Island, the Long Island Expressway is referred to as the L.I.E. There is the Southern State, Montaulk Highway and the Wantaugh (Wantaugh Parkway - pronounced 'Wan-taw'). In Westchester, NY and CT, we also refer to the Thru-way (I-95) which goes down to Florida. Most other main arteries are referred to by their actual names, like the Sawmill (Sawmill River Parkway), the Hutch (Hutcheson River Parkway) the Merritt (Merritt Parkway) the Taconic (Taconic State Parkway) or the Bronx River (Bronx River Parkway). They all have numbers but no one knows what they are, although I think the Merritt is '15'. 'Route 80' goes out of New Jersey into Pennsylvania and that's what it's called. Out west, roads just tend to be referred to by their numbers except for the Pacific Coast Highway, which is known as the P.C.H.

RLady might argue the point: She lives on the Redwood Highway. And the Big Sur Highway south of Monterey. The 1st freeway in Californian was the Pasadena. And more, I'm sure. We on the Left Coast also have a little bit of imagination.
PonderThis Wrote:

They can cure that now.

I did say "used to".
Queue Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:

They can cure that now.

I did say "used to".

Thank the gods for condoms. Razz
Wonky Wrote:

Nope. In Eugene they call it a beltway, but it's really an Expressway...have been on it. Freeways don't have controlled intersections. The Beltway does. So, I think the beltway is an expressway.

Yea, maybe your theory about the freeways being close together is why the folks in the LA Basin call them by number. In the S.F. Bay area, most of the freeways are named. For instance The Nimitz, Bay Shore, or Wonky. All named after people who have garnered great respect.

So, your are an Ohio boy. As was James Thurber, a writer of great talent and fame. You on the other hand have a great dog.

I was born here Laughing In Jacksonville so I'm actually a native :wacko:
tvguy Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

I was born here Laughing In Jacksonville so I'm actually a native :wacko:

Yea, well being born in Jacksonville is kind of like being born in Ashland. It's not REALLY Oregon. Oregon folks men have cow poop on their boots or sawdust in their hair. Oregon women have hair on their legs and and can suck the chrome right off a trailer hitch.
I take the Grants Pass Parkway which is just Highway 199 to the Freeway. And Freeways are Free as opposed to expressways and turnpikes which are often toll roads, especially on the East Coast. The New Jersey Turnpike charges user fees at exits that are calculated in accordance with your entry point onto the turnpike and thats another reason to not live in New Jersey.