Random question thread
Kind of like a game thread. Who me? I never do that!

Anyhow....ask a random question, answer a random question. I'll start

How many time zones are there in the world?
Tia Wrote:Kind of like a game thread. Who me? I never do that!

Anyhow....ask a random question, answer a random question. I'll start

How many time zones are there in the world?
Are we suppose to answer it before we ask another one?
The answer is 24 time zones. Yeah, do we have to answer the previous question first?

I of course would pervert the thread and ask questions to which I believe that I know the answer, but many of you might not. Competition is more fun when there are clear winners and losers. Laughing

For example:

Does sugar make kids hyperactive? Well all you moms?
Quote:Does sugar make kids hyperactive?

It doesn't matter as long as you put some alcohol in their bottle or sippy cup just before bed time.
What are there locks on the doors at 7-11 when they're open 24 hours?

Why is and economy size box of detergent big when an economy size car is small?

If a disc Jokey walks under a bridge can you still hear him talk?
tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Does sugar make kids hyperactive?

It doesn't matter as long as you put some alcohol in their bottle or sippy cup just before bed time.
Good answer. Laughing

Now for more questions.

Is there a cure for a hangover?

Do suicides increase during the holidays?
Quote:Cletus....Is there a cure for a hangover?
Absolutely it's called suicide.
tvguy Wrote:
And that is why suicide DOES increase during the holidays.
TooAnxious Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:
And that is why suicide DOES increase during the holidays.
Excellent my friends, and I might just have agreed, except that I just read an article titled Six Medical Myths Gain Wide Attention. It is amazing how gun shy some of you opinionated formies can be when you think someone else has the correct answer.

The answer to my questions are no, no and no. There is no need to quote studies since there is no one to embarrass. Laughing I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I possibly don't know everything, but I'm ready take a challenge. Bring it on.
Just as an interesting "by the way" . . . suicides actually increase at this time of the year . . . spring. Behavioral scientists think it has to do with the fact that when the weather brightens up and everyone else is feeling more active and motivated (like starting their gardens), depressed people feel the contrast and their lack of motivation even more strongly.
cletus1 Wrote:For example:

Yes. I think different foods will change behaviors of children. If you don't believe me, think of how a high carb meal will put you into a 'carb coma'.
Tia Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:For example:

Yes. I think different foods will change behaviors of children. If you don't believe me, think of how a high carb meal will put you into a 'carb coma'.
What is a Carb Coma? I believe it is a made up word for getting tired after eating too much. If you are not hypoglycemic or diabetic, I don't think a coma is a possible outcome from diet choice. Turkey makes you tired too and so does Budweiser. Big Grin

I used to believe that a lot of sugar increased energy and thus made kids hyper. I now think I was wrong. The following is from the British Medical Journal it is interesting information. I love science.

Sugar causes hyperactivity in children
While sugarplums may dance in childrenâ??s heads, visions of holiday sweets terrorise parents with anticipation of hyperactive behaviour. Regardless of what parents might believe, however, sugar is not to blame for out of control little ones. At least 12 double blind randomised controlled trials have examined how children react to diets containing different levels of sugar.2 None of these studies, not even studies looking specifically at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, could detect any differences in behaviour between the children who had sugar and those who did not.3 This includes sugar from sweets, chocolate, and natural sources. Even in studies of those who were considered "sensitive" to sugar, children did not behave differently after eating sugar full or sugar-free diets.3

Scientists have even studied how parents react to the sugar myth. When parents think their children have been given a drink containing sugar (even if it is really sugar-free), they rate their childrenâ??s behaviour as more hyperactive.4 The differences in the childrenâ??s behaviour were all in the parentsâ?? minds.4

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/dec17_2/a2769
Quote: Do suicides increase during the holidays?

No because drinking DOES increase.
Is there a study that asks if Mountain Dew makes children hyperactive? :shock:
tvguy Wrote:Is there a study that asks if Mountain Dew makes children hyperactive? :shock:
Now we are talking caffeine. I think that caffeine makes most people hyperactive. I know that Mountain Dew causes serious dental problems in kids, At least the ones that live in Harlan County Kentucky.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6863173&page=1
tvguy Wrote:

A need so far unmet: some form of temporary suicide. Laughing
cletus1 Wrote:The answer is 24 time zones. Yeah, do we have to answer the previous question first?

I of course would pervert the thread and ask questions to which I believe that I know the answer, but many of you might not. Competition is more fun when there are clear winners and losers. Laughing

For example:

When my kids were little, after every meal they would get up and run around the house energetically for about 20 minutes. Your body converts everything you eat to carbs (i.e. sugar), which is where your energy comes from. Little kids just process it faster than adults, who just sit there saying will you all just SHUT UP a minute. Smiling

PS: I seem to remember from my school days about 140 years ago that there were some half-hour time zones in places like Alaska and Labrador, but maybe they've been eliminated by pressure from TV networks. Are there kids now who say, when you ask them what time it is, "Nine eight central?"
cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Is there a study that asks if Mountain Dew makes children hyperactive? :shock:
Now we are talking caffeine. I think that caffeine makes most people hyperactive. I know that Mountain Dew causes serious dental problems in kids, At least the ones that live in Harlan County Kentucky.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6863173&page=1

Pesis says no no Laughing
PepsiCo told ABC News in an initial statement that it's preposterous to blame soft drinks for dental decay, saying that raisins and cookies stay in the mouth longer. They added that a balanced diet and proper dental hygiene like flossing and brushing teeth after meals and snacks should prevent decay. CLICK HERE to read the first statement.

Actually Pepsi may have a point I just read that the story that coke will dissolve a tooth over night is a myth, it turns out Orange juice will dissolve a tooth just as fast as coke. They point out that when you drink something it only touches your teeth briefly.

I think the dental problems are from people who suck on pop all day long and like they said some of those people actually put pop in baby bottles Surprised
OK, I was taught this by a geology professor, not a dietician or dentist.

He pointed out that the carbonation in soda is just as harmful to the teeth as the sugar.

There is a form of hydrologic erosion in nature called carbonation. Water, moving at high speed (such as in a fast-flowing river) becomes filled with air bubbles (like the bubbles in soda). As small as they are, when those bubbles burst against rocks in river beds, they actually cause minute damage to the rock. Eventually, the rocks are eroded away. Same principle with teeth and carbonated soda.
tvguy Wrote:Pesis says no no Laughing
PepsiCo told ABC News in an initial statement that it's preposterous to blame soft drinks for dental decay, saying that raisins and cookies stay in the mouth longer. They added that a balanced diet and proper dental hygiene like flossing and brushing teeth after meals and snacks should prevent decay. CLICK HERE to read the first statement.

Actually Pepsi may have a point I just read that the story that coke will dissolve a tooth over night is a myth, it turns out Orange juice will dissolve a tooth just as fast as coke. They point out that when you drink something it only touches your teeth briefly.

I think the dental problems are from people who suck on pop all day long and like they said some of those people actually put pop in baby bottles Surprised
Pepsi does have a point, but it is not the one they want you to buy. Namely, that their products taken in moderation are part of a healthy diet. That is pure BS. An honest statement would have been that "our sodas wont rot your teeth if you don't drink it like a hillbilly." I saw that ABC show on Appalachian poverty. I hate to say this, but many of those mountain folks appear to lack even a basic education. That in my opinion is the problem.