WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW?
WKYonc Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:
Larry Wrote:How did they die? Humanely?

Of course. They were packed in plastic and plucked nicely. They just... Arrive that way. Smiling

Really weird how some people don't have a clue about our food and how we get it.
I like chicken breasts and my butcher (Quality Market) gets them from a place where they grow them. What else do I need to know? I mean "Hello!", this is not science stuff.

Aw, shucks, Wonk, you figured out my little razz on Larry. :roll:
Of course I know where ducks/poultry come from. I did see the turkey being processed while Her Eminence Sarah Palin was speaking on tv last November, yanno. That was even more enlightening than Dan Aykroyd's take on Julia Child. "Save the liver!"
Larry Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:
Larry Wrote:How did they die? Humanely?

Of course. They were packed in plastic and plucked nicely. They just... Arrive that way. Smiling
I would be willing to bet that I "enjoy" my dinner more than you. Because I have intimate knowledge of how they "arrived" on my plate, and have had the opportunity to give the thanks they deserve at the appropriate time. I wonder if you even think about them when you cook? Doubtful.

I, on the other hand, have the entire event of how they got to be sustenance for me, and continue to give thanks every day.

Of course, the checker at Safeway would look at you funny if YOU tried it......

Okayyyy, so I'll one-up ya. My DH grew up in post-war London. There was food rationing up until the mid-fifties when he was coming of age. Not only did his mom have her Victory Garden for years but it included chickens. Every Sunday they picked out a bird and 'processed' it for dinner. The whole she-bang. It was described to me in detail and while it didn't gross me out, I was glad not to have been a participant.

My poultry tastes jus' fine, thank you suh.
TennisMom Wrote:
Larry Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:Of course. They were packed in plastic and plucked nicely. They just... Arrive that way. Smiling
I would be willing to bet that I "enjoy" my dinner more than you. Because I have intimate knowledge of how they "arrived" on my plate, and have had the opportunity to give the thanks they deserve at the appropriate time. I wonder if you even think about them when you cook? Doubtful.

I, on the other hand, have the entire event of how they got to be sustenance for me, and continue to give thanks every day.

Of course, the checker at Safeway would look at you funny if YOU tried it......

Okayyyy, so I'll one-up ya. My DH grew up in post-war London. There was food rationing up until the mid-fifties when he was coming of age. Not only did his mom have her Victory Garden for years but it included chickens. Every Sunday they picked out a bird and 'processed' it for dinner. The whole she-bang. It was described to me in detail and while it didn't gross me out, I was glad not to have been a participant.

Ellie grows and butchers her own poultry...I miss that girl.
quote]Okayyyy, so I'll one-up ya. My DH grew up in post-war London. There was food rationing up until the mid-fifties when he was coming of age. Not only did his mom have her Victory Garden for years but it included chickens. Every Sunday they picked out a bird and 'processed' it for dinner. The whole she-bang. It was described to me in detail and while it didn't gross me out, I was glad not to have been a participant.

My poultry tastes jus' fine, thank you suh.[/quote]

I have to admit that I don't miss the whole process of picking a live chicken out of the flock and going through all the stages to get it ready for the table. My Mom saw that all her children knew how and what needed to be done, with a chicken, rabbit, deer and an a steer. My oldest Sister would turn green and never had to finish, the twins did OK but usually ended up with tears in their eyes, since they were young and made everything into their pets. I guess I did OK and even learned to sharpen knives and which ones were the best steel. Infact I still have some of the Folks butching knives.

As for today, I just put my potato crop all washed and sized in the pumphouse. I realize now that I should have made this a 2 day event as I might have over done it, so my back is telling me. Manage to get about 3/4 wheelbarrow full after picking out the ones I scarred with the spadeing fork. I won't be needing to buy any this Winter.
charlie Wrote:quote]Okayyyy, so I'll one-up ya. My DH grew up in post-war London. There was food rationing up until the mid-fifties when he was coming of age. Not only did his mom have her Victory Garden for years but it included chickens. Every Sunday they picked out a bird and 'processed' it for dinner. The whole she-bang. It was described to me in detail and while it didn't gross me out, I was glad not to have been a participant.

I have to admit that I don't miss the whole process of picking a live chicken out of the flock and going through all the stages to get it ready for the table. My Mom saw that all her children knew how and what needed to be done, with a chicken, rabbit, deer and an a steer. My oldest Sister would turn green and never had to finish, the twins did OK but usually ended up with tears in their eyes, since they were young and made everything into their pets. I guess I did OK and even learned to sharpen knives and which ones were the best steel. Infact I still have some of the Folks butching knives.

As for today, I just put my potato crop all washed and sized in the pumphouse. I realize now that I should have made this a 2 day event as I might have over done it, so my back is telling me. Manage to get about 3/4 wheelbarrow full after picking out the ones I scarred with the spadeing fork. I won't be needing to buy any this Winter.[/quote]

If you are needing a place for some of the less loved (Scarred) taters..... let me know.
I am wondering who this Jesus Christ guy is on your blog and how he has so much time on his hands to give us his opinions on so many different subjects.
B Blaze Wrote:I am wondering who this Jesus Christ guy is on your blog and how he has so much time on his hands to give us his opinions on so many different subjects.

Well, Jesus IS omnipresent, Omniscient, and all that...I was just wondering when you would be posting Blaze, and boom there you are!
So Tia you know who I am by my stage name B Blaze? hummmm
B Blaze Wrote:So Tia you know who I am by my stage name B Blaze? hummmm
Hi Blaze, I hate to contradict Tia, but Jesus lives in Berkley and in not omniscient.
cletus1 Wrote:
Hi Blaze, I hate to contradict Tia, but Jesus lives in Berkley and in not omniscient.

Hahaha, there was this dude growing up- and as many of you know I grew up in the Berzerkeley area- who would hang out on College ave near the UC who dressed like Jesus (and smelled like someone who had been wandering the desert for 40 days) who would scream that he was Jesus and he needed us all to know that Gumby was God.

Ah, the memories.

I actually had someone tell me I seemed awfully sane for someone who grew up in such a den of insanity

I'll wondering if I don't know you B Blaze, by any chance did you have a nickname of Boo when you were young? And you were involved in a honored event in 2000?

Hell yeah, you're my favorite gangsta/rapper!
What am I doing RIGHT NOW?

None of your damn business.
It's mine and I can do what I please with it.
It's free.
I don't have to leave the house.
No cuddling required.
I can go to sleep any time I want.
And,
I can still see the difference between day and night.
Cat pizzing you off Wonk?

Back from the Greek festival at a local church, great food and nice people and a plate of baklava for later-- yum. The children were.. well... children but it was otherwise a very pleasant afternoon and I am stuffed to the gills with souvlaki and loukoumades.
B Blaze Wrote:I am wondering who this Jesus Christ guy is on your blog and how he has so much time on his hands to give us his opinions on so many different subjects.

Oh, he's been around for awhile. He riles people up but once you get used to him, he's pretty tame. This place wouldn't be the same without him. (Some people aren't too fond of him but that could be said about most of us.)
Looking around at the disaster that is my house. I will be so happy when my dd and her family find their own place. Not soon enough.

Then my grandson races towards me with outstretched arms, hollering, "HIIIIII" and I melt. I guess they can stay. Dry
Organized the bookcase and the computer desk. Tomorrow I think I will hit the closets, and maybe start on the playroom. The trashcan will be FULL this week.

Since I am not able to attend college due to family issues, I might as well get the house all spruced up and get rid of things I will never need.

Still avoiding the garage though... Laughing
Oh yeah, toddler are cute-- its survival pure and simple. Yeah, I love my toddler but there are times (now *cough cough*) where that cute thing is about the only thing keeping him out the old cat carrier in the garage. Ninja

Did I mention he scaled the kitchen cabinet yesterday. Silly me, I attempted to take laundry upstairs- anyway, came down and he's sitting on the counter pulling dishes out (luckily the top few were plastic kiddo dishes so losses were minimum).

Its a good thing he's cute.
broadzilla Wrote:Organized the bookcase and the computer desk. Tomorrow I think I will hit the closets, and maybe start on the playroom. The trashcan will be FULL this week.

Since I am not able to attend college due to family issues, I might as well get the house all spruced up and get rid of things I will never need.

You are faaaaaar more motivated then I am (or ever will be)- I still have to finish off the RV that I started last week-ish..

Sorry about the classes, I know you were looking forward to them (and probably that whole adult conversation thing).
reelo Wrote:
broadzilla Wrote:Organized the bookcase and the computer desk. Tomorrow I think I will hit the closets, and maybe start on the playroom. The trashcan will be FULL this week.

You are faaaaaar more motivated then I am (or ever will be)- I still have to finish off the RV that I started last week-ish..

Sorry about the classes, I know you were looking forward to them (and probably that whole adult conversation thing).
When you have nothing else to do...ya know. Wink
Maybe next term? Right now I have to focus on getting the middle child stable again. I hate puberty!!! :wacko: