Rogue Valley Food-Eating Out and At Home
There is a new place in Grants Pass named Kalypsso that advertises "Eclectic Latin Cuisine." I stopped by to check it out and was amazed by the menu. They have Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian and of course Mexican food. The owner said he operated a restaurant across the street in the past but I don't recall seeing one. I only tried the empanadas. I plan to eat there tomorrow with the wife. It is an interesting place for sure with a historical photo of Che Guevara, Fidel Castro and some other revolutionaries on the wall. My kind of place. Really, don't let that turn you off. The owner seemed to be more of a history teller of Latin America than to be making a Political statement. This is GP after all. Menu below.

http://kalypsso.com
Where is this new place?
The new Rogue Riviera (on 99, between Gold Hill and Rogue River) has great steaks. They just reopened recently, with the same menu they've had for 30+ years.
Amanda that place is on 6th street by 7-11 I believe. My favorite GP Restaurant hands down is the Japanese place "Matsukaze". The terriyaki chicken is the best (one of the few times I will "splurge" and be non-vegan).
AmandaChantel Wrote:Where is this new place?
Kalypsso is at 775 SE 6th Street in GP. Weekday lunch specials for $4.99.

Click on the link. Really cool

http://kalypsso.com/ciudadmenupage.html
cletus1 Wrote:

I love the exterior paint job Laughing
Anyone know the name of the omelet place in Ashland? & where it is? I've been hearing good things about it Smiling.....they called it 'the omelet place in Ashland'. Laughing
cletus1 Wrote:

Wow, the menu sounds really interesting. I'll have to talk someone into trying it with me.
cletus1 Wrote:There is a new place in Grants Pass named Kalypsso that advertises "Eclectic Latin Cuisine." I stopped by to check it out and was amazed by the menu. They have Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian and of course Mexican food. The owner said he operated a restaurant across the street in the past but I don't recall seeing one. I only tried the empanadas. I plan to eat there tomorrow with the wife. It is an interesting place for sure with a historical photo of Che Guevara, Fidel Castro and some other revolutionaries on the wall. My kind of place. Really, don't let that turn you off. The owner seemed to be more of a history teller of Latin America than to be making a Political statement. This is GP after all. Menu below.

http://kalypsso.com
Kalypsso itself used to be a Mexican joint with the BEST Mexican food.... I think the market is/was across the street, not the old restaurant. Anyway, the owners decided there were too many Mexican restaurants in GP (VERY true!!) and decided to make this change to Latin cuisine. I really hope they succeed. The food's awesome!! And it's great to have such an unusual alternative.
I went to Squeeze Inn today. I went there about two months ago and again today. before that, it had been about 10 years since I'd been there. 2nd time I was really dissatisfied with the bread. Since the bread is half of 'makes' a sandwich a good one, I don't know if I'll go back. All their bread seems to be of cheapest variety. So, soggy and thin and barely holds up. It was supposed to be 'sourdough' but it had the taste and texture of 'Wonder' bread. Yech. Has anyone had their wraps? Maybe they are better, but I'm done with them for sandwiches. I had the exact same problem with R & D Sandwich shop. I just want a chewier bread.
Tia Wrote:I went to Squeeze Inn today. I went there about two months ago and again today. before that, it had been about 10 years since I'd been there. 2nd time I was really dissatisfied with the bread. Since the bread is half of 'makes' a sandwich a good one, I don't know if I'll go back. All their bread seems to be of cheapest variety. So, soggy and thin and barely holds up. It was supposed to be 'sourdough' but it had the taste and texture of 'Wonder' bread. Yech. Has anyone had their wraps? Maybe they are better, but I'm done with them for sandwiches. I had the exact same problem with R & D Sandwich shop. I just want a chewier bread.

Good Lord, are they still around? The one on Crater Lake Ave? My first house was on Taylor street and I used to go there all the time and they were really good. I think the difference with their sandwiches was the basil and their vinegar and oil. Anyway, this was like the very early 70's. Maybe you just went in on a bad bread day. If the same gal still owns the place go back and let her know. She will probably make it right for you.
I am in Eugene right now and be here till Wednesday. Any Restaurant suggestions? Im looking for food not class. Laughing
imaham Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I went to Squeeze Inn today. I went there about two months ago and again today. before that, it had been about 10 years since I'd been there. 2nd time I was really dissatisfied with the bread. Since the bread is half of 'makes' a sandwich a good one, I don't know if I'll go back. All their bread seems to be of cheapest variety. So, soggy and thin and barely holds up. It was supposed to be 'sourdough' but it had the taste and texture of 'Wonder' bread. Yech. Has anyone had their wraps? Maybe they are better, but I'm done with them for sandwiches. I had the exact same problem with R & D Sandwich shop. I just want a chewier bread.

Good Lord, are they still around? The one on Crater Lake Ave? My first house was on Taylor street and I used to go there all the time and they were really good. I think the difference with their sandwiches was the basil and their vinegar and oil. Anyway, this was like the very early 70's. Maybe you just went in on a bad bread day. If the same gal still owns the place go back and let her know. She will probably make it right for you.

Yeah, but bad bread day twice in two months. Yech. I remember they used to have a good oil and vinegar...maybe I need to ask for a baguette or roll if they have one.
imaham Wrote:Everytime I come back home to Medford I have to get at least one Garbage Grinder at Luigis. I know, it isn't the most healthy food that one can eat but it is kinda like comfort food for me.

I also like to make at least one trip to Outback just to get a decent steak at a decent price. Haven't been disappointed yet although I know that some people wouldn't go there on a bet. Guess I have just been lucky.

The Yellow Basket in CP used to have a pretty good burger. I think they are still around.

I have known the owner of Luigi's since 1976, he is a fantastic and kind hearted person, in fact when my mom had to move from an upstairs to a downstairs apartment due to medical reasons, when he found out about it, he hired Eads Movers to come in and move everything for her and would not let her pay him back. This is the kind of person he is. I know that he uses top grade meats and he gets his cheese from Rogue Creamery.

Probably what happened is the bread is a couple of days old and when they reheat it for some reason it makes it soggy. No matter what sandwich shop I go into I tell them I want the freshest bread they have not anything over day old and since I have been doing that, I have not had the saggy bread problem. I guess that is one reason that I like Subway, their bread is always fresh.
Prospero Wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elements, on E. Main in Medford (where the Samovar used to be). A nice variety of unusual small dishes (tapas). Spanish (rather than Mexican) cuisine.

Mr. Wing usually does. Has he been in here?
Wiggliepom Wrote:

Probably what happened is the bread is a couple of days old and when they reheat it for some reason it makes it soggy. No matter what sandwich shop I go into I tell them I want the freshest bread they have not anything over day old and since I have been doing that, I have not had the saggy bread problem. I guess that is one reason that I like Subway, their bread is always fresh.

Maybe so, but it just wasn't good bread. It was CHEAP bread. They are probably buying it in bulk at the bakery outlet. A lot of the sandwich shops do. They get cheapest versions. It's too bad, because there are some decent selections of bread at the bakery outlet.
cletus1 Wrote:I saw a report on the TV news about how Kaliadescope pizza was doing something to help people out during these tough economic times. I can't remember what it was but I'll post it later if I find out.

closing?
tealeaf Wrote:Anyone know the name of the omelet place in Ashland? & where it is? I've been hearing good things about it Smiling.....they called it 'the omelet place in Ashland'. Laughing

I'm guessing they're either talking about The Breadboard or Morning Glory? The Breadboard is on the main road on the north end of town. If you get off at Exit 19 and head into town that way, it's only about a 1/2 mile after you go under the railroad tracks, way before you get to the Plaza.

Morning Glory is towards the other end of town, on Siskiyou Blvd across from SOU. Between Garfield and Avery streets, I think. Well, between the High School and 7-11 for sure.

Dragonfly is my absolute favorite splurge breakfast in Ashland. They have coconut french toast there!
I love Dragonfly, too. That coconut french toast with the fruit on the side is so good. I love their breakfast croissant, too, and the rosemary potatoes. It's the perfect place to have breakfast outside on a beautiful summer morning.