Rogue Valley Food-Eating Out and At Home
Tribble Wrote:I love Dragonfly, too. That coconut french toast with the fruit on the side is so good. I love their breakfast croissant, too, and the rosemary potatoes. It's the perfect place to have breakfast outside on a beautiful summer morning.

Oohh, my absolute favorite, the Cantina Croissant! The best breakfast sandwich ever! Scrambled eggs with veggies and cream cheese between a sliced croissant!
[Image: drool.jpg]
cletus1 Wrote:There is a new place in Grants Pass named Kalypsso that advertises "Eclectic Latin Cuisine." I stopped by to check it out and was amazed by the menu. They have Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian and of course Mexican food. The owner said he operated a restaurant across the street in the past but I don't recall seeing one. I only tried the empanadas. I plan to eat there tomorrow with the wife. It is an interesting place for sure with a historical photo of Che Guevara, Fidel Castro and some other revolutionaries on the wall. My kind of place. Really, don't let that turn you off. The owner seemed to be more of a history teller of Latin America than to be making a Political statement. This is GP after all. Menu below.

http://kalypsso.com

That's kind of a long drive to visit a restaurant, no? I mean, Che and Fidel like to hang out there and all but it is still kinda far. Kalypsso sounds Caribbean.
tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:I saw a report on the TV news about how Kaliadescope pizza was doing something to help people out during these tough economic times. I can't remember what it was but I'll post it later if I find out.

closing?

Personally, Kaleidescope is my favorite pizza in town. I don't know how I feel about the restaurant itself, but I love their pizza. And we've never had a get together there.
We also didn't have a get-together at Roscoe's. It sounded as though too many people didn't want to eat ribs. I would eat theirs, though. Big Grin
Prospero Wrote:The new Rogue Riviera (on 99, between Gold Hill and Rogue River) has great steaks. They just reopened recently, with the same menu they've had for 30+ years.
I was talking to someone who's been in that kitchen (Rogue Riviera) back in the day. If it's the same folks running the place as before, there's NO WAY I would ever set foot in that restaurant! Ick!!!! But I think the standards in that area might be pretty low, or just really simple.... After all, the Mozart Cafe lasted about ten minutes at that location, and that was mighty fine grub as I recall.... I guess this is just a "meat and potatoes" area.
TennisMom Wrote:We also didn't have a get-together at Roscoe's. It sounded as though too many people didn't want to eat ribs. I would eat theirs, though. Big Grin

Roscoes....I've never been there.
Tia Wrote:
Prospero Wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elements, on E. Main in Medford (where the Samovar used to be). A nice variety of unusual small dishes (tapas). Spanish (rather than Mexican) cuisine.

Mr. Wing usually does. Has he been in here?

Here, here! Almost missed my chance to plug the best tapas restaurant in Southern Oregon! (OK, it's the only tapas restaurant in Southern Oregon, but let's not be picky.)

Elements is the perfect place if you're in the mood for it. The food items are incredibly diverse and well-prepared; the wine list is prolific; the ambiance is lovely. And it is definitely not "cheap eats." For a Friday evening out with friends, if you're not looking for "big portions at low prices" or something specific (e.g., Mexican, Italian), it's as good as it gets.
I just had a Rib Eye from my freezer with Montreal seasoning on the Weber. A local steer from my uncle last year. (I bought a quarter, I don't JUST eat wild meat. But I know where it came from)

Baked beans and a homemade salad with a Jamaican salad dressing.

My dog and I live a very good life.
Larry Wrote:I just had a Rib Eye from my freezer with Montreal seasoning on the Weber. A local steer from my uncle last year. (I bought a quarter, I don't JUST eat wild meat. But I know where it came from)

What kind of dog? Someone just gave us some local free range ground beef, and I made a meatloaf with it....I did NOT like it. It was watery and had no flavor. I ended up tossing it. Never thought I'd do that!
OK, contextually, that was a funny post. Mine I mean.
LOL... Stay away from my dog.

She is a short hair border collie mix, so I am told. In reality she is a medium size black dog going gray around the muzzle. Just like me.

Good temper and friendly. Just like me.

Barks at nothing now and then. Just like me.

Likes naps..... You get the idea....
Tia Wrote:
Larry Wrote:I just had a Rib Eye from my freezer with Montreal seasoning on the Weber. A local steer from my uncle last year. (I bought a quarter, I don't JUST eat wild meat. But I know where it came from)

What kind of dog? Someone just gave us some local free range ground beef, and I made a meatloaf with it....I did NOT like it. It was watery and had no flavor. I ended up tossing it. Never thought I'd do that!
BTW... Just because it is "free range" or "local" does NOT make it good. Coming from where I get it from DOES make it good.
Larry Wrote:LOL... Stay away from my dog.

She is a short hair border collie mix, so I am told. In reality she is a medium size black dog going gray around the muzzle. Just like me.

Good temper and friendly. Just like me.

Barks at nothing now and then. Just like me.

Likes naps..... You get the idea....

I used to go to a Chinese restaurant WAY back in the day, and I would leave my dog outside. You could do that back then. You never see that anymore. Anyway, we were regulars at the restaurant and after a few visits the owners asked us if that was our dog. When we said yes, they asked if they could 'pet' him. They went out there and were fawning all over him. They were creepily obsessed with his paws. Examining them, feeling them, squeezing them, admiring them. :shock: We never too him back. Laughing

Quote:BTW... Just because it is "free range" or "local" does NOT make it good.

You can say that again!
Saratoga Wrote:
Prospero Wrote:The new Rogue Riviera (on 99, between Gold Hill and Rogue River) has great steaks. They just reopened recently, with the same menu they've had for 30+ years.
I was talking to someone who's been in that kitchen (Rogue Riviera) back in the day. If it's the same folks running the place as before, there's NO WAY I would ever set foot in that restaurant! Ick!!!! But I think the standards in that area might be pretty low, or just really simple.... After all, the Mozart Cafe lasted about ten minutes at that location, and that was mighty fine grub as I recall.... I guess this is just a "meat and potatoes" area.

Your information seems to be second-hand. Why post an opinion, if it's just a hand-me-down? Especially if you're going to slam a place, wouldn't it be better to check it out on your own, and not write it off simply because it's in some sort of culinary DMZ? This is a thread about good places to eat, and I think a good steak is a good steak, whether you find it in Paris or (as you seem to think) in Dogpatch.

The original owner died a few years ago, and his widow sold it to the man who started Mozart. While the food was good at Mozart, the owner turned off a lot of people by his habit of holding the diners captive in conversation. The new owners have returned to the original menu, and seem to be doing well, as to quality, service, and business. I haven't checked out their kitchen, but I will next time I go there, and if I find anything contrary to what I have said, I will report on it.
Tia Wrote:
Wiggliepom Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I went to Squeeze Inn today. I went there about two months ago and again today. before that, it had been about 10 years since I'd been there. 2nd time I was really dissatisfied with the bread. Since the bread is half of 'makes' a sandwich a good one, I don't know if I'll go back. All their bread seems to be of cheapest variety. So, soggy and thin and barely holds up. It was supposed to be 'sourdough' but it had the taste and texture of 'Wonder' bread. Yech. Has anyone had their wraps? Maybe they are better, but I'm done with them for sandwiches. I had the exact same problem with R & D Sandwich shop. I just want a chewier bread.

Probably what happened is the bread is a couple of days old and when they reheat it for some reason it makes it soggy. No matter what sandwich shop I go into I tell them I want the freshest bread they have not anything over day old and since I have been doing that, I have not had the saggy bread problem. I guess that is one reason that I like Subway, their bread is always fresh.

Maybe so, but it just wasn't good bread. It was CHEAP bread. They are probably buying it in bulk at the bakery outlet. A lot of the sandwich shops do. They get cheapest versions. It's too bad, because there are some decent selections of bread at the bakery outlet.

I am with you, Tia. I don't want a wimpy sourdough. It has to be chewy. If I'm going to have something not chewy, I'll just go to Subway. Oddly enough the ciabatta bread they use for both Jack in the Box and Wendy's is really very chewy, but of course, no sourdough flavor to it. Good though...but I prefer a good deli sandwich. The last best deli sandwich I had was Dotson's Deli in Brookings nearly 20 years ago. ::sigh:: How I miss them!
Prospero Wrote:
Saratoga Wrote:

Your information seems to be second-hand. Why post an opinion, if it's just a hand-me-down? Especially if you're going to slam a place, wouldn't it be better to check it out on your own, and not write it off simply because it's in some sort of culinary DMZ? This is a thread about good places to eat, and I think a good steak is a good steak, whether you find it in Paris or (as you seem to think) in Dogpatch.

The original owner died a few years ago, and his widow sold it to the man who started Mozart. While the food was good at Mozart, the owner turned off a lot of people by his habit of holding the diners captive in conversation. The new owners have returned to the original menu, and seem to be doing well, as to quality, service, and business. I haven't checked out their kitchen, but I will next time I go there, and if I find anything contrary to what I have said, I will report on it.
Most of what we all know about "where's a good place to eat" is "second-hand information". How many times do you say something like "I've heard that's a good place" or "I've heard that's a bad place", based on what you've heard people say about it (rather than on first-hand experience)?

Your comment about the Mozart owner turning people off because he liked to talk to them is amusing. Most people enjoy when a restaurant owner takes an interest in their dining experience.

I stand by my comments about the kitchen, though. I knew the owners, and it was why the total kitchen remodel was even necessary. That's not to say that it's that way now or that it's not the same way at other restaurants, or maybe even most of them, but I'll take my chances elsewhere. The visuals are too firmly implanted in my brain. I'm not much into cheap steaks anyway, which you can get lots of places. Honestly, I'm so tired of the same old tired, worn-out food ideas. It's boring. But it's nice to have one less vacant restaurant, so I hope Riviera stays open.

I've talked to some people who've been there, though, and it doesn't sound like it's anything special. But that's my point. "Nothing special" seems to be the norm.

I was glad to see that new Kalypsso restaurant pop up in GP. At least it's something out of the ordinary.

Sounds like the menu at our house most every summer weekend. Maybe change off with ribs now and then. Nothing better than a home grilled steak. Smiling
Cometmom Wrote:

Sounds like the menu at our house most every summer weekend. Maybe change off with ribs now and then. Nothing better than a home grilled steak. Smiling

Gawd! You MEAT EATERS!! Just kidding. I just took a roast chicken out of the oven, roasted with fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, lemons and garlic.

I don't cook much beef, even though I prefer it, because, I'm just not very good at it.

I'd still like to see a good Greek restaurant come to Medford or immediate surrounding area.
Tia Wrote:Gawd! You MEAT EATERS!! Just kidding. I just took a roast chicken out of the oven, roasted with fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, lemons and garlic.

I don't cook much beef, even though I prefer it, because, I'm just not very good at it.

I'd still like to see a good Greek restaurant come to Medford or immediate surrounding area.

What? No parsley????
Javajabbers Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Gawd! You MEAT EATERS!! Just kidding. I just took a roast chicken out of the oven, roasted with fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, lemons and garlic.

What? No parsley????

Most of my parsley is gone. I just planted 6 new ones today. Italian.