Rogue Valley Food-Eating Out and At Home
Tia Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Ya know, I go to Ashland for pretty and not much else. I'm sure there be Faeries there.
I rarely dine there. I will shop for things like specialty items like certain incenses, herbs, tinctures, toys, music or garden decor, but I rarely dine there. If I do, I tend to end up in Black sheep or Louies or Munchies.

I think I hear ya Tia. Your not the only one that gets herbs in Ashland and ends up with munchies. Happy 4-20 to you. :roll: Laughing

Smokennnnn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkRKY6K47vA

Good one, Clete.

LOL and here I am planning a trip to Ashland in search of some medicinal herbs. Laugh it up!
agreed on yummy yan. The new Sesame Kitchen in Ashland is supposed to be a step above. Haven't been yet.
bbqboy Wrote:agreed on yummy yan. The new Sesame Kitchen in Ashland is supposed to be a step above. Haven't been yet.

Aaaand!?
Sesame is the fourth JJ North related restaurant in Ashland.And here they are Mix,Amuse.Pasta Piatti, and now Sesame,I have not tried Sesame and won't ,as Mihama has family memories for me, i was just commenting on how the North's Chuck Wagon crew have taken over Ashland.Though they'll never admit their roots.
i heart bunnies ! Wrote:Sesame is the fourth JJ North related restaurant in Ashland.And here they are Mix,Amuse.Pasta Piatti, and now Sesame,I have not tried Sesame and won't ,as Mihama has family memories for me, i was just commenting on how the North's Chuck Wagon crew have taken over Ashland.Though they'll never admit their roots.
I knew the 4 places but I didn't know the jj connection. You are one valuable bunny.
This method of cooking eggplant curry is easy.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 large eggplant
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 bunch cilantro, finely chopped

You can just use garlic or garlic powder instead of the paste. You can omit the peppers too if you don't like it hot.

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

Place eggplant on a medium baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until tender. Remove from heat, cool, peel, and chop.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender.

Mix ginger garlic paste, curry powder, and tomato into the saucepan, and cook about 1 minute. Stir in yogurt. Mix in eggplant and jalapeno pepper, and season with salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes over high heat. Remove cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Quote:This method of cooking eggplant curry is easy.

Not compared to my 2 minute and 30 second chili Razz

Seriously though can you even taste the eggplant with all that other stuff? or... what WOULD'T BE GOOD cooked that way? Big Grin
tvguy Wrote:what WOULD'T BE GOOD cooked that way? Big Grin
turds Big Grin
Try as I might, I've never really learned to like the texture of eggplant.
tvguy Wrote:Seriously though can you even taste the eggplant with all that other stuff?

I have tasted eggplant without spices, it is nothing to celebrate. The taste is bland and creamy. The good thing about eggplant is that it will absorb the flavors of the sauces it is cooked in. I can taste the combination of eggplant and sauce, and that is a hell of a lot better than the eggplant taste.

I am getting the feeling that you don't like spices other than salt and pepper. Don't tell me about your superior taste buds again. You appear to have a stunted gustatory sence and never matured culinary talents or an appreciation for robust flavors. Like my old friend Mr. T said "I pity the fool" that don't know how to enjoy spicy foods. Big Grin
I can't wait for my eggplant to ripen. Smiling
As of late my favorite way to eat zucchini, aside from bread, is cook it in a very hot pan with a little peanut oil until it starts to color and then finnish it with as much Sambal Oelek (chili paste) as you dare and peanuts. Ready in minutes, and it's like the best part of Kung Pao chicken with out the oil. I have never tried it with eggplant but i wonder?
Well the goat is coming out of the oven. I got a recipe from watching an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. In this particular show, he was traveling with some Bedouins in the Sahara. On the show, the bedouins dug a hole in the sand, started a fire of wood in a cut off 55 gallon drum, then placed the goat, which was wrapped in foil on the hot charcoals. A lid was put on the drum to cover it, then the whole thing was buried in sand. The goat is rubbed with a combination of spices (cumin, garlic, onions and salt and pepper). I just baked it for four hours in the oven.

My friend that raises goats said he tried this recipe and that it was fantastic. I'll give you my opinion tomorrow. Smiling
cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Seriously though can you even taste the eggplant with all that other stuff?

I have tasted eggplant without spices, it is nothing to celebrate. The taste is bland and creamy. The good thing about eggplant is that it will absorb the flavors of the sauces it is cooked in. I can taste the combination of eggplant and sauce, and that is a hell of a lot better than the eggplant taste.

I am getting the feeling that you don't like spices other than salt and pepper. Don't tell me about your superior taste buds again. You appear to have a stunted gustatory sence and never matured culinary talents or an appreciation for robust flavors. Like my old friend Mr. T said "I pity the fool" that don't know how to enjoy spicy foods. Big Grin

I've got spicy down, it's goat and eggplant that have me dead to rights. And I don't consider myself a picky eater. I'll still try both any time. Things can get better. Eel is pretty good stuff.
condiments for your goat and eggplant :twisted: :ugeek: :roll:
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/20 ... ecipe.html
Fiery Hmong Chile, Cilantro, and Tomato Salsa Recipe
Hmong chile tomato salsa

â??Whatever I eat, I have to have a little chile with it,â? the Hmong farmerâ??s son told me last Saturday at my local farmerâ??s market. â??Especially with grilled meat, a little chile is so nice.â? His sisters standing nearby all nodded in agreement.

I was picking through their pile of hot Thai chiles looking for nice red ones when we started the conversation. Summer is the peak season for Southeast Asian produce and Hmong farmers from Californiaâ??s Central Valley flush our markets with super fresh leafy greens, all kinds of eggplant, several types of basil, lemongrass, and lots of chiles. I grow my own chiles but they arenâ??t ripe yet so I lay in a supply grown by the Hmong farmers. (Chiles freeze well so go crazy!)

â??What do you do with the chiles?â? I asked, thinking of a little something I could serve with our July 4 surf-and-turf grilled dinner. He obliged by describing this recipe, which is essentially like Hmong kua txob tuav xyaw dos (chile mashed with scallion). I know a tad about Hmong cooking this because I researched and wrote a 2007 Saveur article on Hmong farmers and Hmong home cooking. Donâ??t even try to figure out how to pronounce the Hmong name! Find a Hmong-speaking person to ask.

This is a relish â?? often described as a salsa by Hmong Americans â?? and you can serve it along with grilled pork, beef, chicken, shrimp, etc. I particularly like it with Vietnamese grilled lemongrass pork (thit heo nuong xa). If you like, dip a little sticky rice into this fiery masth, or stir it into food. You can just pound the chiles, salt, scallion and cilantro together if you donâ??t have tomato around. Itâ??s quick and simple everyday Hmong condiment thatâ??s dynamite. Feel free to vary the amount of chiles according to your tolerance for heat.

Makes about 1 cup

18 small or 9 medium Thai chiles, stemmed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce
1/2 cup chopped scallion, green part only
1/2 lightly packed cup chopped cilantro
1 cup quartered ripe cherry tomato
Lime juice

1. Put the chiles, salt, and fish sauce into a mortar. With a circular motion of the pestle, crush the ingredients against the sides of the mortar into a rough mixture.

2. Add the scallion and cilantro, and switch to an up and down pounding motion with the pestle to combine the flavors well and reduce the mixture to a damp, rough mixture. Add the cherry tomatoes and lightly pound to combine. Taste and add lime juice as needed for a tart bite. Transfer to a small dish and serve.
Thai chiles.....I'd have to grow those or see if the Asian market has them, which I may not ever get around to. I wonder if serranos would work?
Tia Wrote:Thai chiles.....I'd have to grow those or see if the Asian market has them, which I may not ever get around to. I wonder if serranos would work?
more:
[Image: bird-chili1-11.jpg]

http://birdchili.wordpress.com/2009/06/ ... condiment
Bird chilis? You couldn't get those in the US for quite a while. Now you can. Maybe I should stop by the market.
i don't recall reading how cletus' goat turned out.....
cletus1 Wrote:Well the goat is coming out of the oven. I got a recipe from watching an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. In this particular show, he was traveling with some Bedouins in the Sahara. On the show, the bedouins dug a hole in the sand, started a fire of wood in a cut off 55 gallon drum, then placed the goat, which was wrapped in foil on the hot charcoals. A lid was put on the drum to cover it, then the whole thing was buried in sand. The goat is rubbed with a combination of spices (cumin, garlic, onions and salt and pepper). I just baked it for four hours in the oven.

My friend that raises goats said he tried this recipe and that it was fantastic. I'll give you my opinion tomorrow. Smiling
Have you ever thought that maybe that is your problem? You eat goat. Which no one should eat let alone brag about Razz