What direction to take the forum in?
AmandaChantel Wrote:
Javajabbers Wrote:
elliemae Wrote:I like a lot of those different looks that JJ posted. This one seems a little washed out. As for "View New Posts" I absolutely NEED it. Reading any forum without it is very inefficient for me. JMO

I found it finally! IT's a tiny little tab right next to the name on the last poster.
I think you're talking about the "view last post" tab, but I'm with Miss Ellie...I need a View Last post on my page all the time instead of having to go back to main page.

Hmmm. Well, this is what I'm talking about (Highlighted in yellow)

[Image: newposts.jpg]

Is that what you were talking about, or something else? I think this is pretty close to the same set up as the MTF but they are tiny little papers there. I think with an update on the "skin" of the forum we might find one with a more prominent icon that is easier to see.
JoeyDG Wrote:
Javajabbers Wrote:I would also like all links to open in an external window if you can.

And if you need any graphics...let me know. I need a project. My creative juices are drying up. Crying Of course, Joey and I (anyone else?) will probably vie for that, but hey - I can take a little friendly competition. Wink

Ooohhh, you are on!

JK. I didn't know you did design work. I've been doing some as part of my internship - all the gopher work they give me. I agree about the links thing too.

Laughing Oh dear Joey - I am by far not a professional, but I do enjoy farting around with graphics and have come up with some pretty cool ones (or so I think). It just speaks to my competitive nature that I suspect you share. It would be fun to have a good-natured competition....as long as people didn't get their feelings hurt.
I don't understand about 80% of what this thread is about but just want to say THANK YOU to you all for putting the effort in. And I agree that the more it functions like MTF the better for we Forum-phobes. I use "View New Posts" constantly as well.
It seems like a small detail, but I, too, prefer having the screen names and avatars on the left side. Because we read from left to right in the English language, our perceptual paradigm is more comfortable with having the "lead" info on the left. (OK, all of you theater people out there know this! Razz )
Javajabbers Wrote:
JoeyDG Wrote:
Javajabbers Wrote:I would also like all links to open in an external window if you can.

And if you need any graphics...let me know. I need a project. My creative juices are drying up. Crying Of course, Joey and I (anyone else?) will probably vie for that, but hey - I can take a little friendly competition. Wink

Ooohhh, you are on!

JK. I didn't know you did design work. I've been doing some as part of my internship - all the gopher work they give me. I agree about the links thing too.

Laughing Oh dear Joey - I am by far not a professional, but I do enjoy farting around with graphics and have come up with some pretty cool ones (or so I think). It just speaks to my competitive nature that I suspect you share. It would be fun to have a good-natured competition....as long as people didn't get their feelings hurt.

Yeah, I think that the biggest different between a good artist and a professional artist is 90% cocky attitude and 10% experience. :roll:
Not to change the subject but if you are going to ticker with the "theme" or whatever the main format is called in an effort to respond to any of this, might it be possible to find a format that includes the "My Assistant" thing that MTF has/had? I really used the "My Last 10 Posts" features when my addled brain couldn't remember what conversation I was involved with...

I don't even know if that is possible or not, but as long as we are making requests.... Smiling
I'm still hoping to get around to changing the theme (and the side that the poster info is on)... just didn't have time, and now am out of the area, so I really only have time to do it in the early morning/late evening until the weekend. Hoping to do it tonight. Smiling
Javajabbers Wrote:Hmmm. Well, this is what I'm talking about (Highlighted in yellow)

Is that what you were talking about, or something else? I think this is pretty close to the same set up as the MTF but they are tiny little papers there. I think with an update on the "skin" of the forum we might find one with a more prominent icon that is easier to see.

That's what I'M talking about! But, how do you know if there are new posts or not? THat little button always looks the same, and it doesn't look anything like your picture..... :wacko: I'm such an ametur.

Oh yeah, I don't like that page that says "your post has been submitted". Is that just me?
RobinBird Wrote:
Javajabbers Wrote:Oh yeah, I don't like that page that says "your post has been submitted". Is that just me?

No. God, are we creatures of habit, or what?
oldoregon Wrote:
RobinBird Wrote:
Javajabbers Wrote:Oh yeah, I don't like that page that says "your post has been submitted". Is that just me?

No. God, are we creatures of habit, or what?
No Kidding.
Can it say MTF someplace on some page so I don't miss it too much. Laughing
Javajabbers Wrote:Hmmm. Well, this is what I'm talking about (Highlighted in yellow)

Nope that is NOT what I'm talking about. That is the "view last post" button. I'm talking about "View all new posts" button. I want a button like the one on the first page where you can view all of the new topics with posts in an easy layout.
AmandaChantel Wrote:Nope that is NOT what I'm talking about. That is the "view last post" button. I'm talking about "View all new posts" button. I want a button like the one on the first page where you can view all of the new topics with posts in an easy layout.

How about this???

[Image: rvfnewpost.jpg]
Ooooh! I figured out what I needed to. There IS a little orange button next to the thread when there are new posts!! Yay! And I never understood the View all new posts thingy. I'm no so interested in reading EVERY thread on a forum. Confused
Javajabbers Wrote:
AmandaChantel Wrote:Nope that is NOT what I'm talking about. That is the "view last post" button. I'm talking about "View all new posts" button. I want a button like the one on the first page where you can view all of the new topics with posts in an easy layout.

How about this???

[Image: rvfnewpost.jpg]
Thats it! I want one on every page.
Not that there arent' things about this site I'd like to see changed......

There IS at least one thing I think is superior to MTF, which is the "Online" banner that shows up across your avatar when you are. That is neat. I used to like it on the earlier versions of the MTF where you could click on somebody's name at the bottom list of people that were online and see where they were visiting. That was how you could find the hot threads.
Now that I'm back in town, I've finally had a little bit of time to tweak the theme. I'll make the logo a little nicer when I have some time outside of work to mess around in Photoshop.

Part of this includes switching around the buttons below the posting text area; Submit is now the first button, then Preview, then the Save/Load Draft buttons. Smiling

Let me know what else you'd like to see.

Thanks!
Makin' progress...looking good too. Thanks. The color palatte is very soothing. I would still like the poster info on the left if that is at all possible but suppose its not that big of a deal if you can't wrangle them over there...
Hey...another report from the field, as it were...

How come everyone's sig is formatted the same as the message? Can WE change that or do you do it? Either way it makes the posts really confusing to read.

EDIT 3/14 (I figured it out...it's up to WE...personal responsibility, etc.)
kgasso Wrote:So, now that it's set up (and bare-bones) what direction would you all like to see the forum go if it sticks around?

I'm all for keeping it simple (only a few categories, no need to have a bunch that get no use anyway). Regarding moderation, I like the "less is more" approach as well - self-moderation is the best kind, and I like to see administrative intervention only with major issues.

Anyone else have ideas?

Seems like the "What are you doing right now?" and Joke threads should have their own category as well as the dining guide.
Yeah, I've been thinking lately of some sort of "no politics" section or something. I dunno, will have to think it over.

-K