Are we blessed, or what!
(12-09-2014, 10:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 09:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 03:43 PM)MarkM Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 09:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-08-2014, 10:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Kinda Calvinistic, isn't it?

No.

Actually it is. One of the five points of Calvinism is "Unconditional Election." This means that prior to the beginning of time God already knows who's naughty and nice. Doesn't matter what you do after you're born, your ticket has already been punched for fire or clouds. Calvin saw every single person as completely depraved; everyone deserved to go to hell. But God in his mercy, decides to save a few for no apparent reason. Unfortunately His mercy is not infinite in this case. There is nothing a person can do to merit selection. God just shines His face upon you.

So yeah, I'd say that idea is not far off from Kyle saying, "As a wealthy guy, I sure am blessed" if he intends to give God the credit for his success.

I could give you a link for further reading, but I don't want to insult Tv.

Whatever ever that has to do with being blessed.

What Mark said! He actually showed it. You haven't said one word to show it's not.

To get back on point:
Nothing Mark posted proves to me that Calvin would have restricted "blessed" to anything. For one thing he was so sour he may not have been able to comprehend "blessed".
And a wealthy guy can feel blessed without giving God any credit. Our language evolves, and I think this is a good example of that. Blessed with just "life's blessings".
And Tia, if you feel Mark "actually showed it" you might of pointed to the reason you felt he did.
Looking back on this topic after a day or so.

Much ado about nothing.

"Blessed". For what it's worth. Nothing more.

I like language, think that words do have meaning and it's important to not abuse the definition, but we can get very tense about little things that don't mean a lot. (Hey, let's write a song. Smiling )

We are told that law is all about "intent".

Language might be all about expression.

"Cool", don't you think? Laughing
who's we, kimosabe? Seems your buddy "Likes to fight guy" is the only one continually po'ed.
(12-12-2014, 10:02 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Looking back on this topic after a day or so.

Much ado about nothing.

I like language, think that words do have meaning and it's important to not abuse the definition, but we can get very tense about little things that don't mean a lot. (Hey, let's write a song. Smiling )

Quote:Hey, let's write a song.

LaughingLaughing For some reason that cracked me up.
(12-12-2014, 11:22 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-12-2014, 10:02 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Looking back on this topic after a day or so.

Much ado about nothing.

Quote:Hey, let's write a song.

LaughingLaughing For some reason that cracked me up.

Hugo always said you are a cheap date and easy to please. Laughing