Equal Rights Amendment Re-Introduced Today
(06-23-2011, 09:45 AM)broadzilla Wrote:
(06-23-2011, 08:17 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-23-2011, 07:30 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I wonder why any woman regardless of her politics would not want the protection of the law so that they could not be discriminated against even if they have not personally experienced discrimination.

I would speculate these are women who are so fearful of "rocking the boat" that they prefer to never make waves.

Nope, actually I make waves all the time...about a lot of issues.
I am an intelligent, independent woman who watches out for the true underdogs (i.e. seniors, children, people with different abilities...)
I don't need the government to pass a law to tell me I can succeed in this world...I just do it!

Damn right! I honestly don't understand it either.

There have been times that I have worked for a woman and times that a woman was promoted and I wasn't. One of the best people I ever worked for was a woman and I still stay in touch with her. When I lost a promotion to a woman, I assumed that they were more qualified than I was and let it go. Time would tell if that were the case or not. The last thing I considered doing was going around whining about it.

I haven't spent the time to adequately debate what happened in the case of the WalMart issue but I will.

As a manager, I have always told the people that work for me that their goal should be to have my job. I even facilitate that by training people in such a way that it would be possible. Some like the idea, some are content to be where they are doing what they do. So far, it hasn't happened but I have some damn fine employees.

I am much more concerned about age discrimination in the workplace than anything else and I see absolutely nothing being done about it.

Sitting on the sidelines (as it were) this is fascinating!

I'm both for it and agin' it. The argument is that good.

I really hope this continues (in the mostly positive and considerate tone it has been) because I admit to not knowing much about it. Yet, I'm sure it's important. First for it's practical reasons, and then for the philosophical argument it presents.

Crone (or anyone) if you know of a good site online where this is being debated, please let us know).
(06-23-2011, 07:08 PM)Wonky Wrote: Sitting on the sidelines (as it were) this is fascinating!

I really hope this continues (in the mostly positive and considerate tone it has been) because I admit to not knowing much about it. Yet, I'm sure it's important. First for it's practical reasons, and then for the philosophical argument it presents.

Crone (or anyone) if you know of a good site online where this is being debated, please let us know).

I will do some looking Wonk but I have found that with issues like this, one is usually for it or agin it and any online information generally follows the same line with few intersections.

I will say that in my professional career, the times that I have seen it happen it has generally been one of two things. An individual that thought they were slighted but in truth really wasn't or a manager that was totally out of line.

In the first case, the offended person generally finds a responsive shoulder to lean on which, in a large organization, can escalate quite rapidly. Not because the incident really was discrimination but because of the sympathy factor. In the second case, most organizations will take care of the problem fairly quickly by either censoring the manager or firing them. This is generally done to not only diffuse the situation but also to eliminate possible litigation.

I will cite you a perfect example.

I worked for a large corporation that had a major site in San Jose. I managed the purchasing and logistics functions there. At the time of the incident, I was also managing the front office crew. Our GM had hired a woman as an assistant as he was totally overwhelmed with the day to day stuff and needed some help. She was personable but also seemed to me to be a little on the shady side. When she was first hired, she came to me with a list of items that she "needed" to perform her job. A nice leather portfolio, miscellaneous expensive office equipment including an ergonomic chair, wall decorations, etc. I went to my boss, the GM and asked him to approve the purchases as I thought they were a bit excessive. He said to go ahead and get it as it was worth the help she would be giving him.

Now, I need to mention something here that is pertinent. The lady was a rather large woman and had some personal hygiene issues. I won't elaborate other than to say she wore a lot of perfume and it was pretty bad stuff. No one said anything as we didn't want to create a problem with her as she seemed sensitive about it.

As time went on, she became more demanding and turned out to be far less than was listed on her rather extensive resume.
One day, I was sitting at the front desk relieving the receptionist when she was on break when one of our "suits" from Atlanta came through the front door. Totally unannounced. Very unusual. He asked if the GM was in and I said yes and he went into his office. About 5 mins later the GM came out, asked me if I could retrieve a few empty boxes and bring them back to his office. 30 minutes later, he came out of his office, requested help in loading the boxes into his car and he was gone.
Turns out this woman had filed a personal discrimination suit against him and told HQ that if he wasn't dismissed and she was adequately compensated, she would file suit. She had said that she heard rumors that he had called her a fat stinky pig and was inappropriate in his dealings with her. Long story short, he was fired, she was paid off and they were both gone. I might mention that she also took with her everything that wasn't nailed down in her office, with the exception of the expensive chair.
After the dust settled, we did some investigation locally and found out that she had done this at 3 prior jobs, none of which, ironically, were listed on her resume. We submitted this information to Corporate headquarters for review. They decided that rather than pursue expensive legal processes, to let it go.

A good man lost his job, for nothing, and she no doubt continued down the path of deceit.
Since that time, I have always been skeptical of these kind of things unless there is solid, compelling information to prove otherwise.

Caveat emptor!

(06-23-2011, 06:22 PM)blondemom Wrote: There is nothing wrong with having the amendment, but if some one is having this problem do you really think it is going to help any.

Let's pass it and find out!

This is the text of the Equal Rights Amendment, ratified by 35 states:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

That's it.

(06-23-2011, 08:29 PM)imaham Wrote:
(06-23-2011, 07:08 PM)Wonky Wrote: Sitting on the sidelines (as it were) this is fascinating!

I will do some looking Wonk but I have found that with issues like this, one is usually for it or agin it and any online information generally follows the same line with few intersections.

I will say that in my professional career, the times that I have seen it happen it has generally been one of two things. An individual that thought they were slighted but in truth really wasn't or a manager that was totally out of line.

In the first case, the offended person generally finds a responsive shoulder to lean on which, in a large organization, can escalate quite rapidly. Not because the incident really was discrimination but because of the sympathy factor. In the second case, most organizations will take care of the problem fairly quickly by either censoring the manager or firing them. This is generally done to not only diffuse the situation but also to eliminate possible litigation.

I will cite you a perfect example.

I worked for a large corporation that had a major site in San Jose. I managed the purchasing and logistics functions there. At the time of the incident, I was also managing the front office crew. Our GM had hired a woman as an assistant as he was totally overwhelmed with the day to day stuff and needed some help. She was personable but also seemed to me to be a little on the shady side. When she was first hired, she came to me with a list of items that she "needed" to perform her job. A nice leather portfolio, miscellaneous expensive office equipment including an ergonomic chair, wall decorations, etc. I went to my boss, the GM and asked him to approve the purchases as I thought they were a bit excessive. He said to go ahead and get it as it was worth the help she would be giving him.

Now, I need to mention something here that is pertinent. The lady was a rather large woman and had some personal hygiene issues. I won't elaborate other than to say she wore a lot of perfume and it was pretty bad stuff. No one said anything as we didn't want to create a problem with her as she seemed sensitive about it.

As time went on, she became more demanding and turned out to be far less than was listed on her rather extensive resume.
One day, I was sitting at the front desk relieving the receptionist when she was on break when one of our "suits" from Atlanta came through the front door. Totally unannounced. Very unusual. He asked if the GM was in and I said yes and he went into his office. About 5 mins later the GM came out, asked me if I could retrieve a few empty boxes and bring them back to his office. 30 minutes later, he came out of his office, requested help in loading the boxes into his car and he was gone.
Turns out this woman had filed a personal discrimination suit against him and told HQ that if he wasn't dismissed and she was adequately compensated, she would file suit. She had said that she heard rumors that he had called her a fat stinky pig and was inappropriate in his dealings with her. Long story short, he was fired, she was paid off and they were both gone. I might mention that she also took with her everything that wasn't nailed down in her office, with the exception of the expensive chair.
After the dust settled, we did some investigation locally and found out that she had done this at 3 prior jobs, none of which, ironically, were listed on her resume. We submitted this information to Corporate headquarters for review. They decided that rather than pursue expensive legal processes, to let it go.

A good man lost his job, for nothing, and she no doubt continued down the path of deceit.
Since that time, I have always been skeptical of these kind of things unless there is solid, compelling information to prove otherwise.

Caveat emptor!

I was a corporate guy for a world wide company for 15 years. I think I know this woman! Was her name Betty by chance?
(06-23-2011, 08:29 PM)imaham Wrote: I worked for a large corporation that had a major site in San Jose. I managed the purchasing and logistics functions there. At the time of the incident, I was also managing the front office crew. Our GM had hired a woman as an assistant as he was totally overwhelmed with the day to day stuff and needed some help. She was personable but also seemed to me to be a little on the shady side. When she was first hired, she came to me with a list of items that she "needed" to perform her job. A nice leather portfolio, miscellaneous expensive office equipment including an ergonomic chair, wall decorations, etc. I went to my boss, the GM and asked him to approve the purchases as I thought they were a bit excessive. He said to go ahead and get it as it was worth the help she would be giving him.

Caveat emptor!

She was a piss poor human being, she was a bitch and what a weird reason to oppose the ERA.
The way you use the term 'these kind of things' makes a loud and clear statement. I'm sorry, but it somehow reminds me of people saying: "Oh, I love black people, I have black friends!" Cool

I honestly don't remember her name now VS. She appeared to headquarter herself in the Bay area and word on the street was that she was really good at it. Knew all of the legal loopholes. Late 90's. Hope someone finally had the nuggets to go after her.
(06-23-2011, 09:21 PM)imaham Wrote: I honestly don't remember her name now VS. She appeared to headquarter herself in the Bay area and word on the street was that she was really good at it. Knew all of the legal loopholes. Late 90's. Hope someone finally had the nuggets to go after her.
I think Betty's problem was her arms were too short! Unsure