Man Shoots Dog for Urinating in House
I'm telling ya, if I believed in capital punishment, I would want to see this man put out of his misery. Seriously.
Looks like he will get misdemeanors only..after all, in a legal sense, dogs are considered property.
Caution: This story is heart breaking; I just can't believe these people are living among us.

Quote:For the second time this month, a pet owner who should not be took revenge on the family pet for the unforgiveable crime of relieving itself inside the house.

The man, Daniel Stevens, 25, of Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania, shot his five-year-old German Shepherd after it lost control of its bladder indoors. The dog was wounded in the neck. After investigators arrived on the scene, it was taken to an animal clinic, but by then it had lost so much blood that the vet had no choice but to euthanize it.

Stevens admitted to the shooting, telling police he put the dog on a leash to control it as he took aim and pulled the trigger. He subsequently placed the bleeding dog inside a crate, leaving it for dead.

Lt. Will Laverty of the Pocono Mountain Regional Police Department said of the crime:

To me, and to all the officers here, we consider it to be quite horrible. To be honest with you, again, it's a dog who relies on us.

It's not something we like to see, I can tell you that.

Dr. Andrew Church, the vet who reluctantly administered the lethal injection, said:

It was a nice animal, and to see this kind of wound, to know how it was inflicted and those circumstances, is gut-wrenching to see this.

Police say they were alerted to the crime by some neighbors who heard gunshots followed by a whimpering dog.

Church believes Stevens' punishment should be severe.

Something like this, I think, should have some pretty significant ramifications for the pet owner to show people this isn't right, this isn't acceptable to do this.

Amen to that. Charges against the man, meanwhile, are pending. Tragically, they will most likely be misdemeanors and nothing more stringent.

A Pennsylvania state representative, Mario Scavello, has said he will be looking into creating harsher legislation to punish people who commit crimes against animals. Unfortunately, those laws will not come in time to affect the sentencing of Daniel Stevens and will come too late to help a dead German Shepherd.

http://www.examiner.com/pet-news-in-nati...z1Q9MR25Xv
My dog is in the 12-14 year age range and recently developed a problem with urinating in the house. It was when I had to throw away her dog bed, heavy and almost dripping with urine, that I realized she was doing it in her sleep. This had been a real issue for me as I would get up in the morning and find huge wet spots on the couch, for which I would scold her severely. She hates to cause me displeasure, it makes her sad. (OK, first of all she is not allowed on the furniture, a rules she abides with when I am in the room. It has been an ongoing struggle to which I believe after all these years is still a stalemate. If I'm not home, or after bedtime, I think she has her own rules!) Realizing it must be a medical issue, I took her in to the vet. Turns out is very common, especially in females, due to hormone changes. That's right.... menopause. So now she gets her pills twice a week and not a single accident since.

Oh, and the guy in the article should be banned from ever owning another pet.
(06-23-2011, 06:04 PM)Larry Wrote: My dog is in the 12-14 year age range and recently developed a problem with urinating in the house. It was when I had to throw away her dog bed, heavy and almost dripping with urine, that I realized she was doing it in her sleep. This had been a real issue for me as I would get up in the morning and find huge wet spots on the couch, for which I would scold her severely. She hates to cause me displeasure, it makes her sad. (OK, first of all she is not allowed on the furniture, a rules she abides with when I am in the room. It has been an ongoing struggle to which I believe after all these years is still a stalemate. If I'm not home, or after bedtime, I think she has her own rules!) Realizing it must be a medical issue, I took her in to the vet. Turns out is very common, especially in females, due to hormone changes. That's right.... menopause. So now she gets her pills twice a week and not a single accident since.

I hope you feel a little bad about all that severe scolding. I think this happens more often than not. I was about ready to give up on a cat who started peeing around the house, not in the cat box. Come to find out, he had a urinary tract infection...got the pills...cat no longer peed everywhere.
That dog deserved better than being leashed and shot in the neck to suffer to death. I was raised in a rural environment and have witnessed times when a person had to dig a grave and then humanely kill an animal with a shot through the head.
I'm glad your pups all better now.
I'm a dog lover, in case you haven't noticed. Smiling
I have never been without a dog in my life except for about a year and a half right after high school. When Katie goes, I have thought a great deal about the advantages of a turnkey house. Vacations and such have always revolved around care for the dog(s). We will see if I succeed. My family gives me about 3 months before I cave and get a new puppy.
(06-23-2011, 06:04 PM)Larry Wrote: My dog is in the 12-14 year age range and recently developed a problem with urinating in the house. It was when I had to throw away her dog bed, heavy and almost dripping with urine, that I realized she was doing it in her sleep. This had been a real issue for me as I would get up in the morning and find huge wet spots on the couch, for which I would scold her severely. She hates to cause me displeasure, it makes her sad. (OK, first of all she is not allowed on the furniture, a rules she abides with when I am in the room. It has been an ongoing struggle to which I believe after all these years is still a stalemate. If I'm not home, or after bedtime, I think she has her own rules!) Realizing it must be a medical issue, I took her in to the vet. Turns out is very common, especially in females, due to hormone changes. That's right.... menopause. So now she gets her pills twice a week and not a single accident since.

Larry, you are a good dog dad!

(Now, if we could just keep you from that thing with the sheep. Razz)

(For those who are wondering: Larry likes to wait for a full moon and chase sheep. So, what did you think I was talking about. Wink
(06-23-2011, 06:22 PM)Larry Wrote: I have never been without a dog in my life except for about a year and a half right after high school. When Katie goes, I have thought a great deal about the advantages of a turnkey house. Vacations and such have always revolved around care for the dog(s). We will see if I succeed. My family gives me about 3 months before I cave and get a new puppy.

Hey Katie! What's cooking, girl?
You've paid your dues and livin' large?
Boy, that couch feels real good when Pops isn't around, eh? Wink
(06-23-2011, 09:32 PM)Crone Wrote:
(06-23-2011, 06:22 PM)Larry Wrote: I have never been without a dog in my life except for about a year and a half right after high school. When Katie goes, I have thought a great deal about the advantages of a turnkey house. Vacations and such have always revolved around care for the dog(s). We will see if I succeed. My family gives me about 3 months before I cave and get a new puppy.

Hey Katie! What's cooking, girl?
You've paid your dues and livin' large?
Boy, that couch feels real good when Pops isn't around, eh? Wink

FYI. Katie does not do email. She does has a cell phone but only uses it to call out. For piazza. And beer. Larry gets the beer, all the better to wash down his TV dinner. Rolling Eyes