Unemployment Can Spell Divorce for Men, But Not Women
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/2011...bG95bWVudA--

Excerpt: "The possibility of losing your job is bad enough. But for men, unemployment status can also make it more likely their wives will divorce them, a new study finds.

Whether or not a woman had a job, however, had no effect on the likelihood that her husband would decide to leave the marriage, the researchers said.

The findings reveal that despite more women entering the workplace, the pressure on husbands to be breadwinners largely remains, according to researchers at Ohio State University.

In addition to upping the chances their wives would leave them, unemployed men themselves were more likely to initiate divorce — even if they reported being happy in their marriage — than guys with jobs. [6 Scientific Tips for a Successful Marriage]

Unlike unemployed men, unemployed women were less likely to initiate divorce than their employed counterparts. Employed women were more likely to initiate a divorce than women with jobs, but only when they were highly unsatisfied with the marriage.

"These effects probably emanate from the greater change in women's than men's roles," the researchers write in a forthcoming issue of the American Journal of Sociology. "Women's employment has increased and is accepted, men's nonemployment is unacceptable to many, and there is a cultural ambivalence and lack of institutional support for men taking on 'feminized' roles such as household work and emotional support."

A woman's unemployment status or decision to enter the work force is not a violation of any marriage norms. Instead, the researchers found that employment provides women with financial security, which enables them to leave a marriage when they become highly unsatisfied with their husbands..."
(06-25-2011, 03:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/2011...bG95bWVudA--

Excerpt: "The possibility of losing your job is bad enough. But for men, unemployment status can also make it more likely their wives will divorce them, a new study finds.

Whether or not a woman had a job, however, had no effect on the likelihood that her husband would decide to leave the marriage, the researchers said.

The findings reveal that despite more women entering the workplace, the pressure on husbands to be breadwinners largely remains, according to researchers at Ohio State University.

In addition to upping the chances their wives would leave them, unemployed men themselves were more likely to initiate divorce — even if they reported being happy in their marriage — than guys with jobs. [6 Scientific Tips for a Successful Marriage]

Unlike unemployed men, unemployed women were less likely to initiate divorce than their employed counterparts. Employed women were more likely to initiate a divorce than women with jobs, but only when they were highly unsatisfied with the marriage.

"These effects probably emanate from the greater change in women's than men's roles," the researchers write in a forthcoming issue of the American Journal of Sociology. "Women's employment has increased and is accepted, men's nonemployment is unacceptable to many, and there is a cultural ambivalence and lack of institutional support for men taking on 'feminized' roles such as household work and emotional support."

A woman's unemployment status or decision to enter the work force is not a violation of any marriage norms. Instead, the researchers found that employment provides women with financial security, which enables them to leave a marriage when they become highly unsatisfied with their husbands..."

Interesting.
I'm not familiar with "Live Science". Wonder who did the study and where.

Our social changes really do kick the hell out of wage earning people. I was divorced in the 1971 and told my wife we simply could not afford it. (At the time she was not working).
She filed anyway (I slurped my soup...and worse) and went to court. I didn't get a lawyer. I got the papers and "the court" had left me 8 bucks a month on which to live. "Can they do that"? I asked the people at legal services. "They can do that", they said. I was lucky that I had the chance to work lots of overtime. Lived on it for three years until the ex remarried. The down side was that I had very little time during those three critical years to be with the kids.
Not a sob story. Just how it works. Working people get screwed. And most women get screwed because of the jerk-off's who don't pay child support. I'm proud to say I never missed one month and was never late. And paid it because it was right. Now, the "spousal support"...well that sometimes hurt. Still, I paid it.

Sorry for running on and on, but just an example of what divorce can do to wage earning people. Everyone gets hurt. But, I sure as hell was not an innocent bystander, and so it goes.

...and so it goes.
You think the pain is only on wage-earning folk? I was always self employed, and my wife back then would have loved for me to have a job instead. One of her most common laments was "Why can't we have a normal life like everyone else?". Smiling
(06-25-2011, 04:02 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You think the pain is only on wage-earning folk? I was always self employed, and my wife back then would have loved for me to have a job instead. One of her most common laments was "Why can't we have a normal life like everyone else?". Smiling

Okay, now we understand why you had to shoot her. Razz

Naw, it was too easy to just give her the house and get a vasectomy.
(06-25-2011, 04:16 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Naw, it was too easy to just give her the house and get a vasectomy.

Yep. been there. Traded her the house for her half of my retirement account (Then at 10 years). The housing market went crazy an she made a bundle. I paid cash for my vasectomy and had to go without beer for two weeks.
I still think I won.
Or broke even at least.

We met when I was the wounded hero, and she was my VA nurse. By the time she got the notion I might be too dark for our daughter's resume, I was in acute pancreatitis and heart failure. Still, she sent bikers, and mobsters, and bull dyke sheriffs after me. And now, our daughter will never recover from the organ damage she suffered while my ex was spreading lies to keep me from getting the care that might have led to the cause of our suffering. But, at least our daughter is all white. Even if she is hunched over in pain.
One of our new hires makes $12 an hour but after his state enforced child support, his take home is about $675 a month. He is an idiot with his personal life (has a new girlfriend pregnant) and I am glad we are assuring that his child support gets paid but how do you live on that.
(06-26-2011, 01:22 AM)Snowlover Wrote: One of our new hires makes $12 an hour but after his state enforced child support, his take home is about $675 a month. He is an idiot with his personal life (has a new girlfriend pregnant) and I am glad we are assuring that his child support gets paid but how do you live on that.

he doesn't, he has a girls friend that does it, and if she receives any aid, we do.
(06-26-2011, 01:22 AM)Snowlover Wrote: One of our new hires makes $12 an hour but after his state enforced child support, his take home is about $675 a month. He is an idiot with his personal life (has a new girlfriend pregnant) and I am glad we are assuring that his child support gets paid but how do you live on that.

What a "strange" post SnowL.
Yes, it's a great system that forces him to face his responsibilities to his children. (At least his financial responsibilities. I wonder about his other responsibilities)

But he is a jerk, as you point out, who is a boy, not a man.

Who cares how difficult it is for him to live on what's left. Let him get another job, sell his blood, learn a new skill, or whatever it takes. This guy has put into motion a train wreck that most likely will require a bail out by society.

He should be shunned.

(06-26-2011, 08:51 AM)Wonky Wrote:

What a "strange" post SnowL.
Yes, it's a great system that forces him to face his responsibilities to his children. (At least his financial responsibilities. I wonder about his other responsibilities)

But he is a jerk, as you point out, who is a boy, not a man.

Who cares how difficult it is for him to live on what's left. Let him get another job, sell his blood, learn a new skill, or whatever it takes. This guy has put into motion a train wreck that most likely will require a bail out by society.

He should be shunned.

Just a typical thread hijack.....I am encouraging the owner to fire him before his probationary period is over. You are so right that he is a boy, not a man (32 years old). He has no boundries either. He will eat anything in the shared fridge. On Friday the owner bought a pizza and some chicken for those that stayed during their lunch hour to help get a customer out the door (not this guy as he took his hour lunch). He came back at 1:00 and proceeded to eat half the pizza and about three pieces of the chicken while the other four where out working still. They came back to almost nothing for lunch. Some people are just amazingly stupid. And this story is really only the tip of the iceburg!
One business owner I know took all his employees out to lunch. After they got back to the office one of his employees explained that even though they got a free lunch, they really didn't get a chance to get their personal business done on their lunch break, and could they have another hour off to do those now, with pay of course?